AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-09-16, 03:30   Link #12001
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Yeah, the OP/ED was much enjoyable. Fits the story theme beautifully. Have you got a storyboard for them yet?

Also, why don't someone rewrite the drama CDs? It would be much easier to produce.

Mitsuuru: Do really have to dance!?

Haruki: That's right. You'll be wearing a tube sock, Red Hot Chilli Peppers style! Make sure you do some pelvic thrusts!

Mitsuuru: NNOOOO!
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 03:52   Link #12002
ShinyaKyoto

Send a message via AIM to ShinyaKyoto Send a message via Yahoo to ShinyaKyoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
Yeah, the OP/ED was much enjoyable. Fits the story theme beautifully. Have you got a storyboard for them yet?

Also, why don't someone rewrite the drama CDs? It would be much easier to produce.

Haruki: That's right. You'll be wearing a tube sock, Red Hot Chilli Peppers style! Make sure you do some pelvic thrusts!

lol that would be a great idea!
ShinyaKyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 10:17   Link #12003
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
o.o ... Um. A lot of good work has been done, here. The voice actor for Mitsuruu might make him a little less feeble. And the blackmail scene was just frightening! ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm going to Anime Evolution in Vancouver next summer, so I'll look into that.
There's another 'con in my area in May, so I might try it there if you guys don't find an animator or dedicated artist before then. Whoever tries to get someone online for this, I would recommend taking the very cream of fandom crop to show to them. Artists who show their work often already have their own agenda.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 13:55   Link #12004
MrZombie

I think I will try my hand at writing one in a couple of weeks. After I'm through these two weeks of hell (Two tests this week. An essay and two assignments for the next.). Any suggestions on what I could do?
MrZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 14:57   Link #12005
Discreet
The Fascist

I feel like editing everything all over again now that I hear those episodes.

But hot DAMN, that's AMAZING.

EDIT:

Holy Shit, Taniguchi is GREAT.

EDITEDIT:

Although I am beginning to dislike Haruki's voice...

And damnit... he sounds like too much of an asshole.

EDITEDITEDIT:

God damnit, this is what I get for not editing those first chapters.

And I really don't think the VA for Asakura is appropriate.

COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN, it's all I know how to do.

Last edited by Discreet; 2008-09-16 at 15:26.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 17:30   Link #12006
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
I feel like editing everything all over again now that I hear those episodes.

But hot DAMN, that's AMAZING.

EDIT:

Holy Shit, Taniguchi is GREAT.

EDITEDIT:

Although I am beginning to dislike Haruki's voice...

And damnit... he sounds like too much of an asshole.

EDITEDITEDIT:

God damnit, this is what I get for not editing those first chapters.

And I really don't think the VA for Asakura is appropriate.

COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN, it's all I know how to do.
He IS an asshole, though.

And damn, I should get around to reediting those first chapters for consistency...

Persona 3 is just so addicting, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post

I'm totally redoing the Drama CD... so much awesome.

I'm also gonna do a version of Knowing Me, Knowing You... also, can we get SOMEONE to translate the rest of the manga? Knowing there are other original stories is bugging me...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 17:38   Link #12007
ShinyaKyoto

I'm sure the VA swill have lots of fun on voicing in the drama CD...
Old 2008-09-16, 17:43   Link #12008
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Taniguchi's voice reminds me so much of Lucy van Pelt strangely.

EDIT: And also Ino from Naruto.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 18:22   Link #12009
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Nitpick: Kyonko's VA is inconsistent with rolling her 'r's.
Nitpick: Haruki sounds perfect and somewhat off at the same time.
Nitpick: Taniguchi sounds great.
Nitpick: Same notes on Haruki on Kunikida.

More nitpicks-that-might-not-actually-be-nitpicks later.
Old 2008-09-16, 18:58   Link #12010
Sherby~
herp derp

In my opinion, Haruki sounds a bit off. He sounds like one of those cliche heroes you see in shounen anime. The voice just kind of...irks me.
Ryou sounds a bit off, too. I don't know what exactly it is, but it doesn't really sound right...

Kyonko sounds good. I like her voice. :]
Yuuki sounds good, also.

Taniguchi is perfect. Exactly how I pictured her to sound. No questions asked.

Kunikida...I kind of pictured her voice to be higher, since she's a loli. It's kind of weird to me.
Old 2008-09-16, 19:43   Link #12011
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

XD good work as always. Good to hear lots of progress.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 19:53   Link #12012
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
He IS an asshole, though.
And... now I'm picturing Haruki imitating Seto Kaiba(particularly the abridged version)... thanks for that one
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-16, 21:46   Link #12013
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
And... now I'm picturing Haruki imitating Seto Kaiba(particularly the abridged version)... thanks for that one
He's not quite that bad, but that's one of the character types I wanted him to embody, along with Idiot Hero...
Old 2008-09-16, 21:54   Link #12014
Discreet
The Fascist

I'd agree with you that Haruki is becoming a Jerkass, but I think you might've misread the Jerkass trope...

Quote:
A character who is so offensively obnoxious that it is unbelievable anyone would willingly interact with him. Usually, the Rule Of Funny enables the people around the person to be able to live under the same roof as them without, y'know, blowing their brains out. Oftentimes, the Jerkass is the Plucky Comic Relief who's stepped off the beam and become irritating rather than funny, in which case the Rule of Funny fades away; they may be okay in the other characters' eyes, but the audience would still love to see them die with sharp objects in their head.
Jerkass is a MISTAKE made by the creators.

And NO, there really isn't a single "heart of gold" moment for Haruki.

I mean I know, Haruhi was also a Jerkass, but I still think it was considerably less so than our current Haruki. I mean at this point, reading through the entire thing from the beginning, I don't see how people could even stand reading about Jerkass Haruki. Just skip to all the parts with Kyonko/Itsuko/Yuuki/Mitsuuru.
Old 2008-09-16, 22:09   Link #12015
ShinyaKyoto

Chapter 4 is the works still... mind you i look forward to chapter 5

Last edited by ShinyaKyoto; 2008-09-16 at 22:37.
Old 2008-09-16, 23:11   Link #12016
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Jerkass is a MISTAKE made by the creators.
No, read the trope again. What you're referring to is Jerkass Stu.

(Hilariously, reading through that, that's exactly how Haruki views himself. All the better.)

The Jerkass trope gives Tomo Takino as an example, and Azuma clearly intended her to be one.

There's this big war on the Haruhi Just Bugs Me page whether or not Haruhi is an evil sociopath or a Jerkass that undergoes character development.

Quote:
And NO, there really isn't a single "heart of gold" moment for Haruki.

I mean I know, Haruhi was also a Jerkass, but I still think it was considerably less so than our current Haruki. I mean at this point, reading through the entire thing from the beginning, I don't see how people could even stand reading about Jerkass Haruki. Just skip to all the parts with Kyonko/Itsuko/Yuuki/Mitsuuru.
Haruhi is forgivable because of her tits. That's the only reason.

She's a horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible bitch to everyone and everything throughout the entire story up until (chronologically) Live Alive.

I haven't gotten to that part yet.

And no, I'm not changing his behaviour at all. If he is more intolerable because he's male, THAT'S A GOOD THING. That's the point.

By your logic, since they do the same things, we all should hate Haruhi too.
Old 2008-09-17, 01:12   Link #12017
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
That's pretty much what I do. There's a reason I've been considering making a "Haruki Dies" series of 4koma.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:13   Link #12018
Jintor

You know what you guys need? You guys need me.

And you'll get me. In a month.

And to add my two cents, Haruhi/ki is a Jerkass who evolves into a JerkWithAHeartOfGold.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 01:16   Link #12019
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's fine.

Haruki is supposed to be like this.

And he will get better, just like Haruhi did.

After all, Double Standard, right?

Quote:
SEITENKAN EXISTS TO REVEAL THE EVILS OF SOCIETY.

SEITENKAN SHALL BE THE LIGHT THAT SHINES IN THE DARKNESS, DESTROYING FEMINISM, SCIENTOLOGY, AND STUPIDITY.

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD SUCH WOULD BE...

Oh, and for novel readers, I found this interesting theory about Vol. 10 on TV Tropes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some crazy on TvTropes
The Alpha/Beta parts of Volume 9 are the result of Kuyou Save Scumming.

The key bits of evidence that supports this theory both come from Snow Mountain Syndrome. First, Kuyou (and/or the Sky Canopy Domain), as it has been revealed, is responsible for the whole shabang. Second, in both situations, Nagato becomes weakened and Kyon considers momentarily to use his trump card should it come down to it.

That said, recall, if you will, Koizumi's hypothesis in Snow Mountain Syndrome that the SOS Brigade members in the mansion are duplicates of the real SOS Brigade, akin to a save file on a game, and that the perpetrator of the scenario was likely to have been intending to provoke Haruhi. Therefore, Kukyou and/or the Canopy Domain (hitherto only referred as "Kuyou" alone) is attempting this tactic again, this time in the real world so the SOS Brigade would be convinced that this "save" is the reality, as opposed to the "Controllable Helplessness" of the mansion, dismissing the possiblity of "escape". The "save point" is right when Kyon picks up the phone (since that's where the split occurs). The α save is the default reality, while the ß save is the alternate created by Kuyou, and it's no holds barred: disabling Nagato, the Anti-SOS meeting Kyon, etc. When Kuyou grabbed Kimidori's arm, she was disconnecting Kimidori from the Data Integrated Thought Entity and weakening her like she did with Nagato (it would be counterintuitive to have an active IDTE Interface in the ß save). Additionally, girl that catches Kyon's interest in the α save is the Slider, in the dimensional and spatial sense; in other words, not only can she slide between dimensions, but she can slide through space (hence how she entered the Clubroom; she's the mysterious twelfth first-year); she'll join as the Sixth Ranger.

What'll happen in the tenth novel with this in mind is still up in the air, but odds are that the Slider will use her powers to connect a link between the α and β saves to stop Kuyou, though from what the Slider tells Kyon on the phone, she is a duplicate created by the IDTE (or perhaps herself) that was sent back in time after the fact, because otherwise she'd end up dead in creating the α/β link.
Also, this.
Old 2008-09-17, 01:24   Link #12020
Discreet
The Fascist

I didn't really pay that much attention to (or edited) the beginning chapters when Haruki is completely unapproachable.

And I should've been more specific. I've already tried so far to keep his gigantic assholeness in check in my edits, but what I'm referring to at the moment is when Kyonko first meets Haruki. In that entire portion of the story, he is an incredible prick beyond all measures.

But I agree that we should make Haruki a Jerkass (for lack of a better term) TO A POINT.

And... the Jerkass Stu would only apply if you are purposely making him to be a Jerkass so that you can derive some pleasure from insulting characters in-universe. And I already consider Haruhi and Haruki as Mary Sue/Gary Stu, so that's covered.

A Jerkass character is NOT meant to be hated, but accepted as another part of the cast, albeit a particularly negative/unpleasant one, it's just that creator's miscalculate their unpleasantness and the audience starts hating their guts.

EDIT:

I love reading Haruhi theories cause they just get so damn crazy.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan