AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-28, 15:59   Link #61
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I actually have a question if you don't mind me asking. How are the extra features and such on the DVD's (including both the first and second seasons.) I ran across an interview with Yuiichi Nakamura (Tomoya's Voice Actor) and I'm extremely interested in hearing his thoughts on Clannad but it's not subbed so I'm wondering if that interview was from the Clannad DVD's.
The only extras on the US-release are creditless versions of the openings and endings. So unfortunately, that interview and any other extras the Japanese release might have had are not there on the American release. Sucks, but that's just how it is.
Spoiler for On a mostly unrelated note:
Old 2009-11-28, 16:13   Link #62
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
The only extras on the US-release are creditless versions of the openings and endings. So unfortunately, that interview and any other extras the Japanese release might have had are not there on the American release. Sucks, but that's just how it is.
Now that's pretty disappointing. I'm still planning on getting the DVD's but I was hoping to see that interview subbed.

Quote:
That does seem pretty awkward. These companies really don't put any effort into their products.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-28, 16:56   Link #63
Vegard Aune

Quote:
That does seem pretty awkward. These companies really don't put any effort into their products.
No no no no no no... If they didn't put any effort into it, they'd just take the ADV-singles, throw them in the box that came with volume 2 and call it a day. Here, they actually made the effort to make new discs with 6 episodes on each instead of 4, remove all the extras, change the subtitle-font, modify the DVD-covers to match their own format, and made a new "box" (more like a slipcover, really) to hold the DVD-cases.

...Damn it, couldn't they have just gone the lazy route and just doing that first thing I said?
Old 2009-11-28, 17:00   Link #64
einhorn303

Quote:
The issue is that licensing those extras requires additional money, money that American companies often don't have in their current poor financial states.

Just recieved my Clannad After Story Part 2 in the mail today. The question is now, which of the Taiwan R3 Volumes to import for the 4-disc collector's artbox:

Nagisa, Fuuko, Sanae
http://www.yesasia.com/global/clanna...0-en/info.html
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=16296

Kotomi, Mei, Tomoyo
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=17691

I really like Kotomi, but...I really like Fuuko too :/ It's a difficult decision. Plus they have:

for FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Mei in black spats, which is incredibly ero.
Old 2009-11-28, 17:10   Link #65
DeX-kun

Quote:
No no no no no no... If they didn't put any effort into it, they'd just take the ADV-singles, throw them in the box that came with volume 2 and call it a day. Here, they actually made the effort to make new discs with 6 episodes on each instead of 4, remove all the extras, change the subtitle-font, modify the DVD-covers to match their own format, and made a new "box" (more like a slipcover, really) to hold the DVD-cases.

...Damn it, couldn't they have just gone the lazy route and just doing that first thing I said?
Oh It seems they misunderstood you. Yeah, I prefer having some nice extras and stuff but now I want to see that Yuiichi Nakamura Interview subbed

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-11-29, 05:01   Link #66
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I had the Kyou route as after the recap, so I'm confused.
Really? Because there were at least two people over on Mania.com who claimed that the recap had been placed after the Kyou-OVA... Weird...
Old 2009-11-30, 11:30   Link #67
cmage

Quote:
Really? Because there were at least two people over on Mania.com who claimed that the recap had been placed after the Kyou-OVA... Weird...
My copy's got the Kyou OVA before the recap. It's strange, because on the last disc of Air they have the recap before the Air in Summer OVAs. :/
Old 2009-11-30, 11:37   Link #68
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
My copy's got the Kyou OVA before the recap. It's strange, because on the last disc of Air they have the recap before the Air in Summer OVAs. :/
Now I feel like I need to check again. I'll check when I get home (I'll post a confirmation of my order in about 12 hours).

ETA: Yeah... I musta been smoking something. The recaps last on my disc too. (I coulda sworn...)

Last edited by spawnofthejudge; 2009-11-30 at 19:49.
Old 2009-12-05, 11:57   Link #69
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
The issue is that licensing those extras requires additional money, money that American companies often don't have in their current poor financial states.
I think Funi doesn't really care for the extras. For School Rumble Season they put all the interviews on the discs, because these were single disc releases. The 2-Part Season 2 had only 2 interviews of the original ~9 that were on the Jap. discs. I doubt that they only licensed these 2....

They didn't want to use an extra disc or were too lazy subtitling them...but then I'm much less motivated to buy shows that have more or less the same content like the fansubs. For Clannad I'm waiting for a Blu-ray release and would buy even an expensive Japanese one. I hope they will then include all the video extras of the original releases.
Old 2009-12-05, 12:27   Link #70
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSIDR View Post
They didn't want to use an extra disc or were too lazy subtitling them...but then I'm much less motivated to buy shows that have more or less the same content like the fansubs. For Clannad I'm waiting for a Blu-ray release and would buy even an expensive Japanese one. I hope they will then include all the video extras of the original releases.
You may just. Right now Key's KyoAni adaptions are being released as Blu-ray Boxes. Kanon is coming out this December, for the price of 62,580 yen (~658.64 USD). Oh, and the Kanon box is confirmed to have English subtitles, so Clannad might too.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCXE-60004

I imagine Clannad would be about twice that, since the series is twice as long. So, better start saving. When you consider the price difference between that and neo-ADV's release (1100 dollars vs 120 dollars), I think the lack of extras becomes a lot more forgivable.
Old 2009-12-05, 14:00   Link #71
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I imagine Clannad would be about twice that, since the series is twice as long.
They'll probably release Clannad and After Story as separate collections, though. So the price will probably be about the same. That being said, I still can't believe how ridicculously expensive that Kanon BluRay-set is. I mean, sheesh, that thing costs more than a PS3. I know Japanese anime-releases are pricey and all, but isn't this a bit too much?
Old 2009-12-05, 15:07   Link #72
einhorn303

Quote:
They'll probably release Clannad and After Story as separate collections, though. So the price will probably be about the same. That being said, I still can't believe how ridicculously expensive that Kanon BluRay-set is. I mean, sheesh, that thing costs more than a PS3. I know Japanese anime-releases are pricey and all, but isn't this a bit too much?
Yeah, I meant double in that you'd have to buy both S1 and After Story together to get all of Clannad TV. Well, the price of all 8 Kanon R2 DVD volumes together was 48000 yen, so since it's Blu-ray, it's not that incomparable.
Old 2009-12-05, 15:35   Link #73
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

I pre-ordered the Kanon box as my one-per-year-much-too-expensive-purchase and will really start saving money after that for probably upcoming Clannad and Haruhi box sets^^.
Old 2009-12-05, 18:59   Link #74
DeX-kun

I would really love to get my hands on a Blu-Ray version of the whole Clannad series but that price is pretty scary to say the least I'll probably get them in the future but for now, I've ordered the whole series on DVD It should arrive in about a week or so, I'll be receiving my Clannad: After Story Collection 2 the day it releases which should be this Tuesday (the 8th I believe.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-12-05, 19:23   Link #75
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well anime is much more expensive in Japan than it is here. I think the greater fear is whether the blu ray is coming here or not. :O

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-06, 02:36   Link #76
einhorn303

Quote:
I would really love to get my hands on a Blu-Ray version of the whole Clannad series but that price is pretty scary to say the least I'll probably get them in the future but for now, I've ordered the whole series on DVD It should arrive in about a week or so, I'll be receiving my Clannad: After Story Collection 2 the day it releases which should be this Tuesday (the 8th I believe.)
Yeah, I'd like to get it myself. But, I already have the Kanon R1 DVD's from Funimation, and they're not bad or anything, so...it's not quite as urgent.

I really like the new trend of having English subtitles on Japanese Blu-ray releases. But I'm more interested in it for shows that aren't already on R1 DVD. Maybe I'm just getting weary of "double dipping" on series too much. I have to think of how much *new* anime I haven't seen yet I could get with that $650.
Old 2009-12-07, 02:37   Link #77
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
At least it not dub the anime it self so they left it with japanese subtitle so it left intact
Old 2009-12-07, 03:41   Link #78
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeath View Post
At least it not dub the anime it self so they left it with japanese subtitle so it left intact
...What? Are you claiming that the absence of a dub makes the release better or something? Even if they did have a dub, the Japanese version with subtitles would still be on the DVDs, you know...
Old 2009-12-07, 03:54   Link #79
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
Quote:
...What? Are you claiming that the absence of a dub makes the release better or something? Even if they did have a dub, the Japanese version with subtitles would still be on the DVDs, you know...
Well clannad is best if it remain Japanese dub with English sub cause i seen few anime and English dub version ruin it they make up words to fit the anime well but i say japanese version of clannad should remain the way it is.
Old 2009-12-07, 08:27   Link #80
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeath View Post
Well clannad is best if it remain Japanese dub with English sub cause i seen few anime and English dub version ruin it they make up words to fit the anime well but i say japanese version of clannad should remain the way it is.
Some dubs are good. Some dubs are bad. It used to be that it was worse than Sturgeon's Law, but lately dubs have been more of a crapshoot (to my ears) than almost uniformly bad. Plus, whenever a dub is present on a DVD, the subtitled Japanese is also available. Including a dub would not 'ruin' the show; it would actually introduce the show to people who don't watch things with subtitles (Yes, they exist; stop looking at me like that).

So your statement seems very silly to me.