AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Mai Otome 0 ~S.ifr~ Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 25 37.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 17.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 22.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.49%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.49%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-13, 04:22   Link #141
VC Matsumoto
Anime Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to VC Matsumoto
3Rd Episode DBZ-like?

Well apart from the fan-service, didn't this 3rd
episode have so many fights and not much dilouge
to seem like a battle-heavy Dragonball-Z episode?

I have to admit that the music was pretty good for this
series (not as good at Mai-otome, but the series length suprisingly good).
Too bad they play on 10-30% of it because of the swiftness of the
scenes.

Spoiler for Next to the last scenes:

VC

p.s. Despite how good/bad peps think of this OVA, I intend to buy the
series, if for nothing else to support and continue the great art-work/music
of this series.
Old 2008-12-13, 12:29   Link #142
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Hey, Toriyama Akira-sensei's magnum-opus did leave such a deep impression in the fabric of Anime culture that it has, and still continues to redefine the way action anime is told. Heck, without Dragonball Z, over a good-half (if not more) beloved anime such as Yuyu Hakusho, Shaman King, Bleach, Scryed and yes Mai Otome would not exist in the form we know and love today.

Incidentally, who else feels that the way that Sunrise left an opening hanging in mid air that it looks like a possible 13 Episode (or thereabouts) TV series exploring that "other adventure" Sifir mentioned could be in the makings?
Old 2008-12-13, 16:04   Link #143
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I think there might be another part, which I'm not sure of because I haven't been keeping up with it. But all I can say was this episode was amazing to me. Finally seeing Rena go all out with the blue sapphire and also using artemis. Was just amazing. I'm pretty satisfied with this episode even though it took quite some time.

But if their making more to this, then I'll happily wait for it.
Old 2008-12-13, 17:21   Link #144
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
I think the episode was good overall, considering most of it was action.

Most of the things I was going to ask was already answered for me on the wiki page. Things I already guessed at were right so I won't bother asking again. (Mainly whose Nina's mother is).

Do they happen to say if the gem Nina finds in Zwei one of these Super Gems? (Neptune Emerald)

If the SBS that Lena receives can handle her power, and she can go from earth to space and back to earth without it falling to pieces, and take out 4 pillars with the 3rd stage...

How come Arika can't go from space to earth (after fighting Nina) without it breaking apart which is sometimes associate with going beyond it's limit? (The first one she ever had did the same just holding something up)

But whatever I guess, Arika had nowhere near the amount of training her mother did, so I can only assume that if they made a follow up or jumped ahead again, Arika might have attained a good portion of that power, hopefully.
Old 2008-12-13, 17:56   Link #145
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou View Post
I think the episode was good overall, considering most of it was action.

Most of the things I was going to ask was already answered for me on the wiki page. Things I already guessed at were right so I won't bother asking again. (Mainly whose Nina's mother is).

Do they happen to say if the gem Nina finds in Zwei one of these Super Gems? (Neptune Emerald)

If the SBS that Lena receives can handle her power, and she can go from earth to space and back to earth without it falling to pieces, and take out 4 pillars with the 3rd stage...

How come Arika can't go from space to earth (after fighting Nina) without it breaking apart which is sometimes associate with going beyond it's limit? (The first one she ever had did the same just holding something up)

But whatever I guess, Arika had nowhere near the amount of training her mother did, so I can only assume that if they made a follow up or jumped ahead again, Arika might have attained a good portion of that power, hopefully.
I'm not quite sure myself, but I believe because when arika was fighting nina, the zwei form wasn't even to its full potential like Rena had it. Considering power differences I think that Rena was much more stronger which is why her robe would be able to re-enter and exit the atmosphere without as much damage as Arika.
Old 2008-12-13, 18:46   Link #146
Shiragiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oujirou View Post

Meh.. it has nothing to do with power. When Arika fell through the atmosphere she was holding hands with Nina and they were embracing. The robes burning up were purely for the Pseudo-yuri fanservice.
Old 2008-12-14, 05:50   Link #147
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

An in-universe answer would be that Arika was more concerned with saving Nina then keeping her robe together. Since they both survived atmospheric re-entry, her powers were working just fine.

One more score to Arika being more powerful then her mother: She don't need no robe to survive re-entry. :3
Old 2008-12-14, 07:20   Link #148
Shiragiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
An in-universe answer would be that Arika was more concerned with saving Nina then keeping her robe together. Since they both survived atmospheric re-entry, her powers were working just fine.

One more score to Arika being more powerful then her mother: She don't need no robe to survive re-entry. :3
Hah hah! Well said Keroko! I for one, am getting a bit sick of the "ZOMG! Arika ain't as powerful as her mom!" talk to be honest.

Also, let's not forget that the Harmonium was nothing to sneeze at, and Arika had just defeated a Harmonium linked Nina. (Or however you want to word it, I think the basic idea goes through ) I mean, this was a weapon that could bend and break the very fabric of reality, wasn't it? I'm sure that could have very well put some strain on the gem/robe.

After all, in Zwei several otome went into space to try to stop the meteor did they not? Unless there was some embarrassing footage not shown onscreen they all made it back just fine

Now then, about the entire Arika vs Lena deal. Let us look at it by the types of series shall we? Not by genetics, or omg HiME SEARRS SAYERS OTOME!!

Mai Otome= A 26 episode series in which the main character is trying to realize her dream. So of course Arika isn't going to be absolutely powerful. She needed to work for it, to over come obstacles and what not to get her goal.

Mai Otome Sifr= 3 episode OVA. It was already made clear that Lena was a legend, and there were only 3 episodes, they devoted them to action.
Old 2008-12-14, 09:21   Link #149
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

As I already said, Schwartz considered both M9 and the Ion Cannon to be expandable in the face of the Harmonium. Expendable.

Arika defeated a weapon for which Schwartz sacrificed two other very powerful weapons. No, she didn't do it with as much flair as her mother, but since she did defeat it, I'd say that puts her in the same league, if not a step above, her mother.
Old 2008-12-14, 14:54   Link #150
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
I'm all for Arika being on par with her mother...watching the final episode of otome at the moment, where she uses the 'ultimate blue sky' with the sword and element expansion. If the glowly golden hair is any indication...channeling Artemis much? Yes, not as flashy as Lenas pwnage of 4 pillars but still.
Old 2008-12-15, 02:34   Link #151
frodo1701
Anime Addict

I feel Fire String Ruby and Neptune Emerald are Super Meister GEMS from emigration era. This is purely a guess based on their names and what we know of known stones from that era (ie. BSS and Pure White Diamond) One thing they all have in common is the fact that they are all precious stones. All the others I remember are semi-precious. this maybe something which links all four together. Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond, and Emerald.
Old 2008-12-15, 04:38   Link #152
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

I don't know. May be it could be true for the Neptune Emerald, considering the place where it was found, and the fact that the Robe it materializes is somewhat similar to the BBS first stage. But then, the same goes also for Sakura's robe, that's not a super GEM.
Unless proved otherwise (and I highly doubt that Sunrise will clarify this point ), I would say that only the BBS and the PWD are special. Uhmm... maybe because they were made for girls with Hime powers?
Old 2008-12-15, 08:48   Link #153
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Just got around to watching episode 3 i guess it was a nice way to sum things up. Some of the fighting was damn crazy and I believe we now know for sure who Rena is descended from like most of us didnt already know. However, this episode left more questions than answers and of course the hint about more adventures to come. Rena just owned the columns like they were her bitches it was just horrible her speed was just insane.

I think some are being a bit unfair to Arika. The girl is barely in her teens her mother was older also Arika had very limited training, starting training late and honestly never really got to finished. I believe she inherited her mothers fighting skill but it still needs to trained. Give her time as she matures and gets older she will learn how to control her powers and not fight on instinct alone. She has the potential to be just as good as her mother or even surpass her.

I guess we are pretty certain now who Arika's father is. I mean i cant think of anyone else and granted that kiss on the cheek could have been a friendly one but not the way Rena looked at him it said more to me.
Old 2008-12-15, 14:08   Link #154
pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Just got around to watching episode 3 i guess it was a nice way to sum things up. Some of the fighting was damn crazy and I believe we now know for sure who Rena is descended from like most of us didnt already know. However, this episode left more questions than answers and of course the hint about more adventures to come. Rena just owned the columns like they were her bitches it was just horrible her speed was just insane.

I think some are being a bit unfair to Arika. The girl is barely in her teens her mother was older also Arika had very limited training, starting training late and honestly never really got to finished. I believe she inherited her mothers fighting skill but it still needs to trained. Give her time as she matures and gets older she will learn how to control her powers and not fight on instinct alone. She has the potential to be just as good as her mother or even surpass her.

I guess we are pretty certain now who Arika's father is. I mean i cant think of anyone else and granted that kiss on the cheek could have been a friendly one but not the way Rena looked at him it said more to me.
According to the facts Tak presented previously Arika is about 15 when she beats Nina and Rena is 16. So theres a year difference..at most nearly 2. That time could mean the difference in power and/or ability. Still I think Arika did a damn fine job following her mothers legendary footsteps
Old 2008-12-15, 15:48   Link #155
starCHILDE

Last OVA was really amazing, but I didn't really get something. Sifr's father, Richard Blan de Windbloom, is Bruce's brother, right? So that would make Bruce Sifr's uncle. And they've said a couple of times in these OVAs that he's Windbloom's king. So who's the guy with the black otome at the end of the last OVA and who is he talking about when he says "He has done something traitorous to the country"? (in Doremi's fansub). I've been thinking he's Bruce and Richard's older brother (because of how he talks about his younger brother) but that would make him the king and that goes against the part with Bruce being the king.

Did I make any sense? lol
Old 2008-12-15, 16:09   Link #156
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillar View Post
According to the facts Tak presented previously Arika is about 15 when she beats Nina and Rena is 16. So theres a year difference..at most nearly 2. That time could mean the difference in power and/or ability. Still I think Arika did a damn fine job following her mothers legendary footsteps
Arika already reached the age of 15 in Otome, and Zwei took place approximately one year after Otome, making her 16 by Zwei.

Judging by her performance in Zwei though, she still has a long way to go. After all, Arika with her Blue Sky Sapphire fought on roughly equal terms as Mai's Fire-Stirring Ruby.

You know what, in fact, I think she confronted Nina at the end of Otome was not due to her being the only person able to beat her (couple candidates could fulfill that same duty), but rather, it was her responsibility, really.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-15, 16:20   Link #157
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Judging by her performance in Zwei though, she still has a long way to go.
Rena fought more flashy, that's for sure, but technically the opponents Arika defeated were tougher then the opponents Rena defeated.

Let's review, shall we?

Rena fought and defeated an Android that Schwartz considered expendable in the face of the Harmonium, and made mincemeat our of the Collums and principal.

Arika defeated the same Harmonium that Schwartz casually sacrificed M-9 for, and defeated an unknown enemy that defeated several of the most powerful Otome of her time, utilizing the GEM worn by the founder, which judging by how the founder is known for ending the war, can be assumed to be of the same level as the Blue Sky (it would certainly explain why all Otome who fought her got tossed around like ragdolls and defeated).

While Rena's fights were more flashy for sure, Arika's fights were technically tougher. In other words, Arika really doesn't need to 'catch up' to her mother. She already has. She just needs to get more flashy.
Old 2008-12-15, 17:58   Link #158
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Rena fought more flashy, that's for sure, but technically the opponents Arika defeated were tougher then the opponents Rena defeated.
You are making an assumption that Rena could not have beaten the same enemies faced by her daughter, which is something I disagree. Although the process was not shown to us, it does not mean it would be theoretically impossible in Rena's case. In fact, quite the contrary.

Quote:
Rena fought and defeated an Android that Schwartz considered expendable in the face of the Harmonium, and made mincemeat our of the Collums and principal.

Arika defeated the same Harmonium that Schwartz casually sacrificed M-9 for, and defeated an unknown enemy that defeated several of the most powerful Otome of her time, utilizing the GEM worn by the founder, which judging by how the founder is known for ending the war, can be assumed to be of the same level as the Blue Sky (it would certainly explain why all Otome who fought her got tossed around like ragdolls and defeated).
It also took an army of Otome on the ground to help deplete the Harmonium's power. Arika did not do everything on her own, and certainly would have had far more difficulties achieving her goal if it was not for the fact that powerful allies were on her side.

Again, Arika fought against Nina not because she was the only person able to defeat her, rather, it was her responsibility.

Quote:
While Rena's fights were more flashy for sure, Arika's fights were technically tougher. In other words, Arika really doesn't need to 'catch up' to her mother. She already has. She just needs to get more flashy.
While Rena's fights were against, in your opinion, lesser foes, we cannot dismiss the possibility that she can face tougher enemies and emerge victorious. Perhaps foes tougher than ones faced by Arika.

Why do I make these assumptions? Lets review, shall we.

The key: Blue Sky Sapphire

We are told that this gem can withstand Rena's innate powers and not break into pieces. There are apparently 3 power levels (and possibly more) to this gem. Arika accessed only two. Rena completely skipped the first one and jumped right into level 3.

Now, level 3 isn't something that could be achieved because one wants to. If the Gem itself indicated anything, it was Rena who surpassed level two in order to access level 3. Arika has yet to surpass level 2. Hell, sometimes she fluctuates between first and second levels.

Then we were shown plenty of her performance during Zwei. Was Yuna not a tougher enemy than the Harmonium? Certainly. She was like a hacked incarnation of immigration technology at its purest, not to mention it took both Arika at level 2 and Nina with her new Gem to defeat it.

And Arika certainly was not winning when she faced Yuna, alone.

Then there were the 'child(s)'. It took many an Otome to defeat one, but Mai single-handedly defeated what was arguably the strongest of the child(s) by herself. Yet, Rena is supposedly stronger than Mai. At Arika's present level, she is equal to Mai at best. Therefore, I once again draw the conclusion that Arika still has a long way to go.

- Tak (Sometimes I wish I was Mikoto. She had two things going for her, eating and sleeping. Thats a good life.)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2008-12-15 at 18:12.
Old 2008-12-15, 22:52   Link #159
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I went back and watched a couple of Arikas later fights from Otome and then watched her mother fights in S.ifr. You are on to something keroko Rena's fights are actually misleading. They threw the fact at us that she kept breaking Gems because of power so of course we equated power with strength but power could also mean energy. It looks more like the energy Rena contains in her body when fighting broke the gems. Most of her fights were very flashy like Keroko said there is no doubt that Rena speed is top notch something Arika has not accomplished yet. Lots of movements and flashy elegant moves.

Now take Arika, look at her opponents and her style of combat even from when she was a coral. Arika might not be very fast and might not be very elegant when she fights but the girl is a freakin powerhouse and relies more on instinct. I think in terms of power not energy she is just as strong or going to be stronger than her mother. Arika is also one hard cookie to put down. Arika is powerful in her own right if im correct then as she learns to control the power of her Gem and becomes more stable with it she will surpass her mother.

If someone gets a chance do what i did and tell me if im way of base cause i did it for a couple of hours and a lot of seems right on. Not saying im right about anything but i feel pretty strongly about what iv seen in their style of combat.
Old 2008-12-15, 23:37   Link #160
Moonshine
A bottle of...

Send a message via AIM to Moonshine
I know I'm gonna seem impatient, but have the subs been released yet?
Closed Thread