AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-03-08, 18:12   Link #101
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by etothex View Post
Lelouch hypothesized that the geass works by invading and rewiring the cerebrum. We saw in eps 4 and 10 how he uses it to tell people to ignore things. Now it's not that they don't see him; the geass activates so that their brains comply with the order by not caring that he is there or disregarding his presence. They have been brainwashed basically, so that anytime they see him, they don't notice.
That theoretically should allow for open-ended orders. The geass enforcement activation could just be something along the lines as "whenever you hear a command from me (my voice perhaps), you must obey" all you need is a condition for activation, like for wall-girl and
Spoiler:

All bets are off until we find out about Shirley though.

I don't want Lelouch to just go and geass everybody into obedient slaves, but honestly I'd been hoping for more interesting and cunning usage of the Geass to achieve things, but that sadly seems to not be the case for the 1st season at least. He uses it like what once per episode max now? They mostly consist of memory wipes, ignoring things and small tasks (take this walkie talkie here), nothing big and grandiose. I want to see him get creative.
Ah, but once again you didn't put into consideration of why Lulu don't use Geass all the time anymore; Lulu realised this power has limits.

Geass is powerful, but there are clear weaknesses. It's like The Green Lantern and the colour yellow.
The best way to prevent people from taking up preventative measures against his Geass, like wearing tinted glasses all the time, is if people don't know he has superpowers. The reason Zero got an independent funded army is because he can now do things without Geassing someone, like whenever he needed the truck-trailer's tires changed.

Sure, he may be able to Geass people more often, but it's not worth the risk right now. Light in Death Note used his powers all the time until the cops figured out what he could or could not do. Lulu certainly want to limit the number of brainwashed people to a minimum. (At least, of named important people. Quite a large population of his school had probably being Geassed by now.)

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2007-03-08 at 22:21.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:38   Link #102
etothex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Ah, but once again you didn't put into consideration of why Lulu don't use Geass all the time anymore; Lulu realised this power has limits.

Geass is powerful, but there are clear weaknesses. It's like The Green Lantern and the colour yellow.
The best way to prevent people from taking up preventative measures against his Geass, like wearing tinted glasses all the time, is if people don't know he has superpowers. The reason Zero got an independent funded army is because he can now do things without Geassing someone, like whenever he needed the truck-trailer's tires changed.

Sure, he may be able to Geass people more often, but it's not worth the risk right now. Light in Dath Note used his powers all the time until the cops figured out what he could or couldnot do. Suzaku certainly want to limit the number of brainwashed people to a minimum. (At least, of named important people. Quite a large population of his school had probably being Geassed by now.)
Very true, and of course he knows the limits better than us. However, when he is fighting this war, should he not be using his strengths. He could be doing much more as opposed to continually leading the charge. He could at the very least setup a decoy Zero or two. I don't think he'd do anything that would be too suspicious, cuz like you said, it's only a hidden weapon if it remains hidden.
Hehe truck tires. I mentioned i thought he only uses it for small things. Something big would be using it to achieve something he could not achieve otherwise (like rescuing suzaku in ep 4). I was mostly thinking in terms of intelligence and espionage. Now I'm not sure how good their info net is, but how about something like geassing an officer to relay information from within. Or during a battle, going ninja, and similar to ep 2, sneaking into the enemy camp. He would obviously be more invisible than ep 2 since he knows the limits better now. If he were going in to just steal data on the Lancelot, or even just sabotage it for instance, he wouldn't have to leave evidence in the form of dead bodies either.

You pointed out though something that i had considered about his geass usage. In the first few eps, it was treated as a godly power and whatnot, but now it's more like a tool. He really doesn't rely on it anymore, except as his trump. It's always better to have solid support. It's just some of the possibilites (geassing an officer to give info) seems really tantalizing.

I've been wondering if there were any other students at school, with weird recurring geases on them. Ashford academy might be quite the freak show now.
etothex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:00   Link #103
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
I've been wondering if there were any other students at school, with weird recurring geases on them. Ashford academy might be quite the freak show now.
I think they're already there.

swimsuit day, orange day, make a pizza 4x bigger than the world record for the school festival, etc, etc.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 11:05   Link #104
SinsI

Quote:
He really doesn't rely on it anymore, except as his trump.
I think he also learned his lesson from Mao, and doesn't want to turn crazy like him or the Death Note's antihero. His pride also kicks in, he doesn't want to rely onto others power too much.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-10, 12:21   Link #105
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
^there's some explanation for it in the spoiler thread at some point.

from what I can recall, it works something like this:
despite the fact that only Britannians can become pilots, apparently suzaku had KM training and testing. (this could have been because of Lloyd, it could just be standard military training, who knows)

and basically, Lloyd took notice of Suzaku because he had a very high sync rate (or something like that) in training. because the Lancelot is an experimental machine, it's both dangerous and outside of the standard military, so even though there were other skilled pilots, the units they were a part of wouldn't give them up, or they refused because of the danger.

while it is somewhat troublesome that Noodle is a number, Suzaku ends up being really a good pilot for Lloyd, since there's no strings attached.
Might be another explanation (Not sure):

the sync rate was known after suzaku rode the knightmare, not before. His experience with knightmare testing is also a factor.

The main factor would be because he is an Eleven, and nobody would care him dying. Lloyd stated out that the machine didn't have the ejection implemented, if he said this to a Britannian soldier, he would have to take responsibility if anything happens to a pilot. Turns out suzaku to be a really good pilot.
velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 10:48   Link #106
ccardoso
Banned

Do you think nuclear weapons will appear within the Geass universe? I have a feeling they will otherwise it would be pointless showing the glass girl (name?) talking about uranium 235 and the various problems of the nuclear fission.
If nuclear weapons fall into Britannia's hands then it will be a big problem IMHO.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 11:24   Link #107
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
Do you think nuclear weapons will appear within the Geass universe? I have a feeling they will otherwise it would be pointless showing the glass girl (name?) talking about uranium 235 and the various problems of the nuclear fission.
If nuclear weapons fall into Britannia's hands then it will be a big problem IMHO.
yes they probably will play a role in the mid to late 2nd season.

actually, in some ways Nuclear weapons would be the worst thing to ever happen to Britannia. a world with Nuclear weapons is one in which Britannia can no longer continue it's expansionist policies, for fear of the mutual annihilation scenario. and without the growing cheap labor force, the Britannian economy falls into recession and then they're screwed. Nukes would actually be the easiest way for Lelouch to obtain his goal of "ending war".

of course, once the Nukes show up, Wakamoto will no doubt reveal his Geass superweapon, and we'll be heading right into the end of the series. so yeah, look for nukes around 40 something +
Old 2007-03-12, 13:51   Link #108
ccardoso
Banned

Who is Wakamoto? The king?

Ah another thing: Lelouch geassed himself using the reflection of his eyes on some blade. But I remember Lelouch saying that his geass works only if he's in direct line of sight with the victim: I find this a bit confusing.
Most likely it's something like this: the geass doesn't require Lelouch to be physically present in front of the victim (the reflection of his geass worked and that wasn't the real one) but the victims can't wear anything on their eyes, like glassed and such. Mao's arc confirms this: as soon as he lost his glasses he got geassed by Lelouch. Is this plausible?
If this is then Code Geass can end the next episode: Lelouch just goes on television and geasses evreyone telling them that they must obey his orders, starting from the king.
Old 2007-03-12, 14:03   Link #109
ashlay
the red string of fate

^Lelouch explains (in 5 I believe) that the Geass exhibits properties of light, so it can be reflected.

the only reason it didn't work on Mao was because he had reflective glasses. standard glasses and maybe even certain types of sunglasses won't counteract the geass.

and since the emperor doesn't have a name other than the Emperor, his voice actors name, Norio Wakamoto, is occasionally used instead.
Old 2007-03-12, 14:12   Link #110
SinsI

What is a sync rate Lloyd is speaking of?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 14:18   Link #111
ccardoso
Banned

Ok from what you guys say no geass broadcast anyway this doesn't eliminate the possibility of mirrors, which functions. What about putting a huge mirror in a square full of people and Lelouch activates his geass in direction of the mirror which, of course, mirrors the geass to all of the guys?
Old 2007-03-12, 15:30   Link #112
etothex

would work if they were looking at the mirror. Maybe better if he did it in a room full of mirrors. that sounds like it'd be fun to see. Lure people to a room full of mirrors, and geass bounces around til it gets them.
etothex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 16:05   Link #113
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
and since the emperor doesn't have a name other than the Emperor, his voice actors name, Norio Wakamoto, is occasionally used instead.
Actually, Britannia's 98th Emperor does have a name. It was revealed in the Code Geass prequel novel (featuring Lelouch and Nanaly's time in Japan before the invasion) but its romanization is still unknown.

It's Louis La Britannia or Luiz / Lewis.
Old 2007-03-12, 16:18   Link #114
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
What is a sync rate Lloyd is speaking of?
I can't even remember when Lloyd mentioned that....but from Laksharta mentioning something to that effect in 17, I'm guessing the basic idea is how quickly the frame reacts.

usually you'd use it to refer to how quickly the frame responds to a given command by the pilot, but for someone like Lloyd who simply sees Suzaku as a part of his Lancelot, the high sync rate may be in reference to Suzaku's high level of physical coordination (the reason he can avoid gun fire and beat the crap out of everyone), which allows Suzaku and thus the Lancelot on a whole to react comparitively quickly to attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Actually, Britannia's 98th Emperor does have a name. It was revealed in the Code Geass prequel novel (featuring Lelouch and Nanaly's time in Japan before the invasion) but its romanization is still unknown.

It's Louis La Britannia or Luiz / Lewis.

The source is Celiss Galvea from GameFAQs. Problem is that I don't have the link anymore because those threads only last 50 pages and to pursue the topic they create new threads. And since I directly edit the shortcut's url...DX
is that confirmed for the anime as well? they did take...certain liberties with the novels after all. and there's no listing for his full name on the official site. not to mention that that'd give him the same middle name as Clovis...kinda weird.

well, either way I guess. not like it's a bad name.
Old 2007-03-12, 16:53   Link #115
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
is that confirmed for the anime as well? they did take...certain liberties with the novels after all. and there's no listing for his full name on the official site. not to mention that that'd give him the same middle name as Clovis...kinda weird.

well, either way I guess. not like it's a bad name.
Well, problem is, little is known about Mister Bigwig (my own moniker...although it's been revealed that the hair/hairdo was...genuine O_O) and the blackout includes his own name. It seems that for now the staff doesn't deem it necessary to introduce another name for us to refer to him as. Since he doesn't have much importance right now, it's a fortuitous tidbit to throw to the (ravenous) masses.

On the other side, although it's been emphasized that there would be plot divergences and differences as well as certain similarities between novel and anime, I doubt the liberty the staff will take on those matters would encompass the topic of (major) character names. I can envision them changing certain persons' deeds, opinions and personalities, why not (or even his/her existence, as Cornelia doesn't even seem to exist in the CG-LotR manga) - but what defines a character the most? His/her name? I think not. At least, it seems unlikely to me. The change would be too glaring, too peculiar.

I mean, it'd be as if Tomino had renamed Char Aznable, something like, say, "Commander Gaylord" for the CCA novel...

See what I mean?
Old 2007-03-12, 17:12   Link #116
ashlay
the red string of fate

^what about Mafty Navilles Erin? it's not a name for Char, and its not "Commander Gaylord", but it's basically the same idea.

I mean if you want a second name for a character, and it doesn't exist, people often just make it up.

Wakamoto is still the Emperor in the novels, but if that's all the production team had for whoever did the novel, they could have simply said "alright, I want a human name for this guy, and they don't have one for me, so I'll just create it."
Old 2007-03-13, 00:19   Link #117
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Quote:
Well, problem is, little is known about Mister Bigwig (my own moniker...although it's been revealed that the hair/hairdo was...genuine O_O) and the blackout includes his own name. It seems that for now the staff doesn't deem it necessary to introduce another name for us to refer to him as. Since he doesn't have much importance right now, it's a fortuitous tidbit to throw to the (ravenous) masses.
It might be an effort to cover up his real name. Just like CC and VV, he is covering up his real name too. He is talking to the dead and psychically to someone just like CC and VV. Whos know he might be immortal like them too!
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 01:53   Link #118
ccardoso
Banned

VV?
Old 2007-03-13, 04:15   Link #119
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso View Post
VV?
Go to the spoiler thread if you are interested about VV.

And, yeah... People are wondering if including CC and VV, there are 26 people out in the Geass universe from A-Z now.
Old 2007-03-13, 09:28   Link #120
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

OFF-TOPICNESS, guys. This is a Q&A.

So, I've got a question of my own. What major anime magazines has respectable amount of Code Geass informations, and the ratios of each as in which magazine has the most in terms of interview, random world stuff compared to other magazines?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a