AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-30, 14:17   Link #881
paw24
Banned

i think if you want your kids to watch anime let them watch the cartoons. anime is and adult version of the cartoon its for teenagers and up.
paw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 19:43   Link #882
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
I wouldn't say that. It can be for little kids, Sailor Moon and Pokemon for example. I think that anime is more open to the general public regardless of age group. There's something for everyone.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 21:22   Link #883
OMOCHIKAERI!
SOLDIER 1st class

I rarely face such comments, but then again I treat anime as solitary home entertainment, mainly watching it in peace and quiet.
If someone says that anime is for kids, then I say I am a child at heart If they don't leave it at that then they're asking for an argument.
OMOCHIKAERI! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 21:22   Link #884
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"anime" is like saying "television" or "books". Which is why its for "any audience".
Old 2010-03-31, 14:44   Link #885
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I treat anime as nothing more than just another entertainment program. As for saying it is for kids, well it has already shown it's appeal can reach across all age groups and there are plenty of anime produced that are simply not made with kids in mind as the core audience.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 16:33   Link #886
TsumeBlue
Silver-Eyed Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valashu View Post
Maybe some of you have experiened it before when someone in youre surrounding is wandering why you still watch (in there eyes) cartoons. Some of you still has an age wichit its considert to be normal, but there are plenty of people whom are on a age wich its found to be "weird" for watching anime.
People in my surrounding do at least.

So this is about how do you respond when a classmate/friend/familiy member or partner asks you why are you still into this.
Since im new i dont know how many times this thread was placed in the past, but im curious to the results.

As for me ive choosen "you like that and I like this", response.
Just because it's animated, doesn't mean it's for kids...

How I respond: Hey, I don't question you about your strange [and believe me I find plenty of them "strange"] hobbies, don't question me about mine.
TsumeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 20:24   Link #887
EyesNeverSeen

When someone says that to me, I show them Higurashi and Elfen Lied. Kills the idea in a snap!
EyesNeverSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 20:28   Link #888
oompa loompa

While I know how irritating this all seems.. at the same time I don't think theres any need for so many of these suggestions to be.. aggressive. Theres no need to basically say 'back off, dont pry'. It's alright to just say its something you do, without trying to justify it, I mean, its not like its that big a deal. And why do you need to justify whether its for kids or not in the first place? Its not that big a deal either that kids watch it (without going into what the different genres are etc.) , I feel like people are often more accepting than made out to be, although it certainly doesn't help to be defensive about it. Just from my experience though, naturally I can't speak for others.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 07:29   Link #889
Ending

I usually respond "There are boobs too", to which they answer with "Ooo!"
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 07:53   Link #890
VampiricButterfly

I'm 16 and proud to watch anime.
What you like to watch isn't define your age >.>
I mean, my older sister (23) likes to watch anime and she put stickers and stuff all over the place. It's fine.
For example, a person who likes to eat candy all the time, that doesn't mean one is weird >.>
Or, the fact that my parents still watch Tom and Jerry >.> for the fun of it, though I don't see anything funny in these, isn't awkward. <.<
VampiricButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 11:12   Link #891
kim8268

Is that a dumb question? who is the @x#% that asked that is he thinking straight
Who makes an Anime naturally an animator and what do you think is his/her aged naturally an adult so I think even an adult has the right, not just right but privilage to watch an anime that he/she like
watta @#x#@ question hayzzzzz
kim8268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 11:16   Link #892
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's just a medium like any other. Media type doesn't always mean the content will be the same. There's just as much variety in animation as there is in film or literature.
Old 2010-04-01, 11:23   Link #893
Kentleton

Send a message via AIM to Kentleton Send a message via MSN to Kentleton
Well, Most Anime isn't for kids so you can give those people examples. Liked Elfen Lied. Definitely not for kids haha.
Kentleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 03:37   Link #894
Sniper Wolf
Untamed,Solitary

I must agree most animes aren't really for kids. Maybe they are but in America they even cut some stuff out of pokemon. Geez and it's a "kids show" I think that America can make an anime for kids as well but heck watch the japanese version you'll be amazed... which is why I don't like watching some of the animes that america airs. They cut all the good stuff!!! Japan seems to be more opened...
Sniper Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 06:03   Link #895
janipani

One of the funniest way to answer would be describing the worst most horrible violance or sexual material there is found on anime and then ask if he thinks that's really meant for children.

However after you do that, they think even worse of you.

People who make these questions don't care what you are about to say. They have already decided what they think, and an opinion of some anime watching weirdo won't change a thing. It's the same if some people can't stand rock music or emo people.

If you really want them to think it twice, it is probably better make clear that you aren't going to explain yourself, but that you are also interested in other things than anime and that anime are no different from normal movies or books ( just better ). And that's the end of discussion.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-03, 12:58   Link #896
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Many posters automatically suggest the highly sexual or highly violent examples of anime... its probably more *effective* to suggest examples with complex drama and issues that "actual mature people" would find compelling.

Unfortunately, the sort of people who are compelled to make sweeping generalizations like the title of the thread are rarely actually mature themselves
Old 2010-04-03, 13:39   Link #897
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Many posters automatically suggest the highly sexual or highly violent examples of anime... its probably more *effective* to suggest examples with complex drama and issues that "actual mature people" would find compelling.

Unfortunately, the sort of people who are compelled to make sweeping generalizations like the title of the thread are rarely actually mature themselves
Agreed. I'm not sure since when boobies and blood became the standard for maturity. There are several better measurements, realism, or complexity of characters for example, which is still pretty insufficient. The focus on nudity and violence ( in general.. of course its not only limited to this forum) is.. well, kind of juvenile. Not to say that nudity and violence have no value - its just that having it for the sake of having it doesn't really add much to the show at all - in terms of whats 'mature' included.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 07:46   Link #898
Ash Falls Town

Quote:

The biggest problem is that a kid CAN watch a show with complex drama and issues that actual mature people would find compelling. A kid might get bored to tears by Haibane Renmei or Aria but they aren't going to incite children to violence.
Neither show is for children but they can be watched by children. However if you explain that yes children can safely watch these shows, people will assume they are for children. However if a child can not safely watch a show people aren't going to assume it's for children.

I guess there is a problem with the fact that the people in this thread aren't trying to argue that "No anime isn't just for kids" but "No anime isn't just for kids" and "Anime is good" at the same time. However it's much easier to argue that anime is good with a greater range of anime at your disposal. One of my favourite and IMO better written anime just happens to be a very obvious children's show.
Old 2010-04-07, 16:28   Link #899
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hey, I think the "Adventures of Frog and Toad" have some very subversive cracking good humor and major themes. I still pick them up to laugh at many years after my kids stopped wanting me to read to them..

And yeah, I thoroughly agree that kids are up to handling complex portrayals more often than people think. I was only pointing out that "boobs, blood, and bombs" do not equal "mature"... that such focus is really actually juvenile.
Old 2010-04-07, 16:37   Link #900
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
I was only pointing out that "boobs, blood, and bombs" do not equal "mature"... that such focus is really actually juvenile.
Ah that is actually true. Sometimes when an attempt is made to make something "darker, grittier, and more mature," it resorts to that crap and nobody takes it seriously anyways

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote