AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-05-08, 11:57   Link #24781
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I know a little bit. Mostly they tend to write NanoFate stories and are especially skilled at using Japanese terms and the like, and they tend to get positive feedback on a lot of their work. I personally never really cared for what they write, but eh, personal opinion.
*nod* Usually NanoFate AUs, from what I remember. That's generally not my thing, so I don't really read them either, but they do seem popular with NanoFate fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiseppe View Post
Speaking of unfinished, I vaguely remember some military-esque Vi x Syn (har har 'vixen' hahar...argh...*falls over, revealing a knife in the back*)
Ah, yes, "Synergy." *eyeballs Satashi* I believe Vivio and Syn have been tied up together for over a year now.

Syn: Hey, I like bondage fun as much as the next girl, but this is ridiculous!
Vivio: *innocent whistle*
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 12:21   Link #24782
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Syn: Hey, I like bondage fun as much as the next girl, but this is ridiculous!
Vivio: *innocent whistle*
Caro: Now I understand why you never do anything with Vivio, Lu-chan!
Lutecia: Ha?
Caro: You're afraid that if you try using your bug summons on her, she'll be scared off!
Lutecia: .... *facepalm*
Old 2010-05-08, 12:49   Link #24783
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Unexpected Expectations

Chapter 11: Sacrifices

Previous chapters to the story can be found here.

Spoiler for Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 11: Sacrifices:
A few mistakes pointed out in the quote.

Well, this was certainly an intense, action packed chapter. Very suspenseful and makes me want to know what happens next right now! Great job and hurry up with the finale!
Old 2010-05-08, 12:58   Link #24784
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
A few mistakes pointed out in the quote.

Well, this was certainly an intense, action packed chapter. Very suspenseful and makes me want to know what happens next right now! Great job and hurry up with the finale!
Fixed, thanks!

I do want to address the one line you didn't understand: "Fate kicked and punched as best she could, but she had no purchase and thus they lacked a lot of strength. "

I hoped I was phrasing it right, but the idea I was trying to get across, was that she had no real way to brace herself to put enough power in her punches and kicks. When you go to punch someone, you brace your feet and are essentially pushing off the ground to put power into your attack.

If the wording seems a bit too odd, I can try to modify it. I'll see if I can come up with something a bit clearer.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 13:17   Link #24785
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Fixed, thanks!

I do want to address the one line you didn't understand: "Fate kicked and punched as best she could, but she had no purchase and thus they lacked a lot of strength. "

I hoped I was phrasing it right, but the idea I was trying to get across, was that she had no real way to brace herself to put enough power in her punches and kicks. When you go to punch someone, you brace your feet and are essentially pushing off the ground to put power into your attack.

If the wording seems a bit too odd, I can try to modify it. I'll see if I can come up with something a bit clearer.
Try something along the lines of, "Fate fought back as best she could, but without leverage she couldn't get any strength behind her blows," perhaps. The problem with the wording as originally phrased is that the pronoun "they" (meaning, "her kicks and punches") doesn't have a proper antecedent, so it makes things a little puzzling.

Gikan, I must say, is a classic case of the extreme end of the "Proud Warrior Race Guy" scale, where she's replaced thought with pride and honor with bloodlust. Her logic is completely circular: "We're teetering on the edge of survival...so we adopted our ways which while seeming harsh were necessary for our survival...so we must continue to preserve those ways...even though following those ways means that we can't accept help from anybody or actually try to find practical solutions for our problems...so we are teetering on the edge of survival...so it's necessary to adopt ways to survive that are extreme..." Glad Frey noticed that randomly slaughtering the hostages while the people being extorted are complying with your extortion isn't the best way to deal with a hostage situation (Poor girl, coming face to face with the revelation that "I've spent my entire life desperately seeking affirmation that I'm worthy from a bunch of complete asshats who wouldn't know a viable standard of worthiness if it bit them on the leg. No wonder they exiled me; clearly I'm just not enough of a piece of filth to fit in with them."). I'm just surprised that Yuuno didn't have time for a "Look, you idiot, of course I double-crossed you. Killing Aina proved to me that you were just going to murder everyone anyway, so I'd have to be a complete moron to play along with you." speech.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-08, 13:24   Link #24786
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I was confused by the use of the word "purchase", actually.
Old 2010-05-08, 14:43   Link #24787
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Try something along the lines of, "Fate fought back as best she could, but without leverage she couldn't get any strength behind her blows," perhaps. The problem with the wording as originally phrased is that the pronoun "they" (meaning, "her kicks and punches") doesn't have a proper antecedent, so it makes things a little puzzling.
That helps a ton, thanks! Sometimes my mind just plain hits a wall with regard to word use, and I can't think of something better to put there.

Quote:
Gikan, I must say, is a classic case of the extreme end of the "Proud Warrior Race Guy" scale, where she's replaced thought with pride and honor with bloodlust. Her logic is completely circular: "We're teetering on the edge of survival...so we adopted our ways which while seeming harsh were necessary for our survival...so we must continue to preserve those ways...even though following those ways means that we can't accept help from anybody or actually try to find practical solutions for our problems...so we are teetering on the edge of survival...so it's necessary to adopt ways to survive that are extreme..." Glad Frey noticed that randomly slaughtering the hostages while the people being extorted are complying with your extortion isn't the best way to deal with a hostage situation (Poor girl, coming face to face with the revelation that "I've spent my entire life desperately seeking affirmation that I'm worthy from a bunch of complete asshats who wouldn't know a viable standard of worthiness if it bit them on the leg. No wonder they exiled me; clearly I'm just not enough of a piece of filth to fit in with them."). I'm just surprised that Yuuno didn't have time for a "Look, you idiot, of course I double-crossed you. Killing Aina proved to me that you were just going to murder everyone anyway, so I'd have to be a complete moron to play along with you." speech.
Well, to be fair, he doesn't know about Aina at the moment. But he can probably guess that, since they want their society to remain a secret, none of them will live long after they get what they want.

And about Gikan, yeah. Sometimes, when you live so long a certain way, you can't see anything else. You have your set of beliefs, and accepting anything else would mean you were wrong for a long time, and that's not something a pysche can usually deal with. So instead of feeling guilt for what they are doing, they push it off onto someone else; "they're wrong, not me. It's all their fault!" But doing so is human, and I like my antagonists to have reasons.^^

Thanks for the commentary!
Old 2010-05-08, 17:29   Link #24788
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Posted my Vivio/Einhart short to FF.net, adding a note for the sole purpose of embarassing Satashi
Old 2010-05-08, 18:08   Link #24789
Kaijo
Banned

Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 11: Sacrifices, is now up on ff.net here.
Old 2010-05-08, 19:32   Link #24790
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 11: Sacrifices, is now up on ff.net here.
Ok, using leverage definitely makes things clearer.

And reviewed
Old 2010-05-08, 21:05   Link #24791
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

After looking at DezoPenguin's comment...I began to wonder...though I'm sure not many do this but, have any of you guys ever done a scenario in which a character(s) acted like "guinea pigs" for someone else's schemes / plots that involved something...kinky?

I was looking back through some of the scenarios I tried to conjure up and well...I thought back to what I had planned for a possible lemon sometime soon. I thought of using that scenario that I mentioned and having my main OC in my current Nanoha fanfic be the guinea pig in doing Nanoha "dirty" work.

I was thinking back to that yuri h-doujin of Spoonful 2 and the use of pills which is what inspired me to create a few different scenarios.

This is what came up as another possibility:

Spoiler for Sneaky Tricks:

Also...with the whole 'genderbending' idea...though I rarely see it...something came up when I was thinking about it and well...to me...the whole waking up as the opposite gender one day scenario...for some reason...I find kinda amusing.
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 09:05   Link #24792
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
I was confused by the use of the word "purchase", actually.
Well you see, fate was trying to kick and punch as best as she could but she had forgotten to purchase the special updates to her fists and feet.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 19:36   Link #24793
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Okay. I MUST buy a laptop before my next trip. Everytime I come back here the backlog is insane. -.-"

Quote:
Yeah, I always used --- between scenes, and a full line to separate the author's notes. I did it this way because I think a full line across the page differentiates things too much.

Anyways, today Alavon challenged me to write a Fate/Chrono under 500 words.

... It ended up being 689 words Well, she doesn't mind

Spoiler for Westermarck's Folly:
Cute. Anymore than this and it would be a sacrilege. *meekly waves a ChronoxAmy flag*

Quote:
Thanks! I've never been good at coming up with titles, so I went to TV tropes to the not related by blood page to see if I could find something. There it mentions Westermarck's effect, something I had known about before, and decided to use that some how. I think this is the most intelligent title I've ever come up with I was wondering if anyone else would understand it

For those who don't know, Westermarck's effect is when two people raised in close vicinity become immune to sexual attraction towards each other. Chrono and Fate in this case did grow up together, yet they were still attracted to each other, hense Westermarck's Folly.

And yeah, poor Amy To pair Chrono with anyone else she has to be removed somehow. I'm not exactly pleased that has to be so. Well, I figured Chrono marrying her as an escape/smoke screen would work, since cases of that happen in real life, mainly with homosexuals hiding their sexuality (though that is less common these days).
I may be wrong in this, but isn't the Westermarck Effect suppose to act only when the kids are raised together before the age of six? I'm not expert on the subject, but I did a little research on it for a plot bunny that keeps haunting me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Turns out I'm in a clownier mood than I thought. It's a little short, but it's longer than the 'nothing' I was expecting to write. I'll put it on ff.net some time today, but right now I'm just too lazy to go over there and log in. I mean, that's like... twenty keys I'd have to press.

Spoiler for Center Ring, Part 4:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

EDIT: All right, she's up on FF.net at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5883307/4/Center_Ring

Enjoy!
Okay. Laughed more than I would (or should) because it was notably less funny than the previous ones, but you kept the plot running, and that was enough to keep me hooked.

Quote:
I've seen their fics listed on FF.net before, but never read them for obvious reasons.
I gave up starting to read their fics. They said on their profile that they have several of them unfinished, so I never know when (if) they'll finish it.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 20:20   Link #24794
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Well you see, fate was trying to kick and punch as best as she could but she had forgotten to purchase the special updates to her fists and feet.
She was trying to mimic Subaru's fighting style?
Old 2010-05-09, 20:59   Link #24795
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperk View Post
I may be wrong in this, but isn't the Westermarck Effect suppose to act only when the kids are raised together before the age of six? I'm not expert on the subject, but I did a little research on it for a plot bunny that keeps haunting me.
You're not exactly wrong, as it does develop in the earlier years. Still, I think the general idea still works for what I was getting at with that title
Old 2010-05-09, 21:15   Link #24796
Kaijo
Banned

Unexpected Expectations

Chapter 12: Acceptance

Previous chapters can be found here.

Spoiler for Unexpected Expectations, Chapter 12: Acceptance:
Old 2010-05-09, 22:05   Link #24797
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Unexpected Expectations

I was keeping in mind all the tricks you could have pulled while reading it, but I see you played it straight for the most part.

Spoiler for spoilers:

Overall, this fic was quite the ride. Kaijo, you took risks and went places few dare to go, not pulling your punches when needed for proper effect and creating a real rollercoaster of drama and emotion. Excellent job my friend, you deserve a standing ovation.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that I pointed out some errors in the quote.

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-05-09 at 22:17.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 22:16   Link #24798
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Unexpected Expectations

I remember you mentioning at one point that you were considering killing off Yuuno very early on in the story process. Interesting to see you decided to go through with it.
Old 2010-05-10, 00:09   Link #24799
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Unexpected Expectations

I should be in bed. But I just checked to see if anything was good around here and this was here.

Wow, kinda surprised you killed him. Makes me sad that that happened, but considering the abuse he took in the story, I guess it was only to be expected in the end, huh?

Still, not going to complain about the ending, it was bitter-sweet and was well-done. Good job.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 00:56   Link #24800
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Daily Activity Log of Officers F. Testarossa and N. Takamachi

I know it's been a while, and I apologize, but I've just posted Log #11, Jan. 6, Stalker on Fanfiction.net .

RB and I are working on a new Log, but I've been side-tracked by Crime Never Sleeps, so pardon the delay!
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha