4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-10-12, 16:38   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Monogatari Series Second Season - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll (Nadeko Medusa IV)

Welcome to the discussion thread for Monogatari Series Second Season, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 16:56   Link #2
RDF2050
Superidol

This episode... I don't have words to describe it.
Old 2013-10-12, 17:07   Link #3
DorkingtonPugsly

This is still the weirdest arc in the series. Don't really know how to respond.
Old 2013-10-12, 17:33   Link #4
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

Awesome.
Love the mousou scene.

Oh. That yandere Nadeko is awesome. Just as I have expected beforehand.
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 17:55   Link #5
NutShell

damn yandre nadeko but gahara san was the bos
NutShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 18:02   Link #6
FelynxTiger
くすぐ

Nadeko datte, koyomi onii-chan ga daisuki na noni !!~~

Nadeko yandere <3
FelynxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 18:02   Link #7
redgrnbluylw

Okay, let me get this straight.... the arc ended up NOT getting resolved. I don't get any of the psychological themes of this episode, but I'll ignore those for now. As of now, Nadeko is still a god. Shinobu and Araragi are both barely still alive. For now, the arc remains unresolved. Please, someone tell me: is that correct?

And what was up with Nadeko's "preview"? I understand that she wanted to kill Hitagi then Shinobu then Araragi in that order, but does she want to kill Tsubasa and Suruga too? Their appearances confused me. Actually, so does the entire episode, for that matter.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 18:16   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm speechless. This episode was godly. Holy shit, just holy shit. Nadeko became completely insane. She's actually been crazy since the very start of the arc. I had already been spoiled about Kuchinawa not being real, but I didn't think her delusions were that bad. As expected, Ougi was responsible for this, but only partly. All she did was give her the push Nadeko needed.

The ending was quite inconclusive to say the least. Nadeko has now truly become the final boss (that foreshadowing) but the final battle is postponed for another six months, which could mean we won't see it until the very end of the Monogatari series. I'm fine with waiting, I just hope they won't pull a Katagatari on us and skip it. I'm curious to see how this will be resolved. Will they be able to find a way to revert Nadeko to human? I don't want her to die ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post
Okay, let me get this straight.... the arc ended up NOT getting resolved. I don't get any of the psychological themes of this episode, but I'll ignore those for now. As of now, Nadeko is still a god. Shinobu and Araragi are both barely still alive. For now, the arc remains unresolved. Please, someone tell me: is that correct?

And what was up with Nadeko's "preview"? I understand that she wanted to kill Hitagi then Shinobu then Araragi in that order, but does she want to kill Tsubasa and Suruga too? Their appearances confused me. Actually, so does the entire episode, for that matter.
Yes, that is correct.

I believe she wants to kill them because they are also women close to Araragi, even if they aren't his girlfriends. She'd probably want to kill Mayoi too if she knew about her existence (I don't think she ever met her?). I think she wants to erase every last trace of his "unfaithfulness" to her. She's gone completely yandere.
Old 2013-10-12, 19:08   Link #9
Ken Sanders
The Wanderer

So far, so good. The episode that is.

I think the role of Nadeko is KanaHana's greatest portrayal of her character among her other voice acted characters.

It was very intense, so to say. From a cute, innocent girl to a yandere, obsessed girl(in a dangerous level, per se).

Even though KanaHana is quite pack this season but she still delivers the role of Nadeko very well. I'm very, very impressed of her.
Ken Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 19:24   Link #10
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post

If Araragi's life was truly in danger, you bet your ass Cat and Monkey will come to his aid in the final battle even if he didn't tell them.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 19:37   Link #11
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

I loved the other three episodes of this arc, but this final episode was the first time in any Monogatari season that I found myself bored enough to fast forward through parts of the episode.

I didn't like Nadeko prior to this arc, and even though I began to find her interesting during the latest episodes, I'm back to disliking her...I feel that she lost all her charm as a character after transforming. And this comes from someone who usually has a soft spot for yandere types

So all in all, I'm kind of disappointed that with such a diverse cast of characters, Nadeko gets the final boss position.
BUT! Because I feel compelled to say something nice, I was genuinely surprised that the snake was Nadeko's delusion all along. I really missed some hints there, didn't I?
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 19:47   Link #12
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Talk about dropping the bomb there. I really didn't think that Nadeko was having those kinds of delusions that caused this to happen. Certainly explains some bad decisions on her part like ever responding to that demand to go to the shrine in the first place. Of course she would go, since it didn't break with her delusions.

Goes to show the power of Hitagi though. She managed to turn this horrible situation into a less horrific one. Bought them time to rest and recover instead of having Araragi and Shinobu attacking while in weakened states. It bought them six-months not only to figure out how they might stand a chance against Nadeko, but also buying them time to try and find a solution. There might not be any good way to get Nadeko back to normal, but at least they'll have some time to find out for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm speechless. This episode was godly. Holy shit, just holy shit. Nadeko became completely insane. She's actually been crazy since the very start of the arc. I had already been spoiled about Kuchinawa not being real, but I didn't think her delusions were that bad. As expected, Ougi was responsible for this, but only partly. All she did was give her the push Nadeko needed.

The ending was quite inconclusive to say the least. Nadeko has now truly become the final boss (that foreshadowing) but the final battle is postponed for another six months, which could mean we won't see it until the very end of the Monogatari series. I'm fine with waiting, I just hope they won't pull a Katagatari on us and skip it. I'm curious to see how this will be resolved. Will they be able to find a way to revert Nadeko to human? I don't want her to die ;_;
I'm not sure that partly is the way you would describe Ougi's involvement. From the sounds of it Ougi also informed Araragi and Shinobu a little about what was going on so they would catch Nadeko in the act. By doing so it would lead to the situation escalating and the worst possible result occuring. This arc is completely on Ougi. The puppet master that plays the characters in just the right way to turn a non-story into a tragedy. Without that information Shinobu's mental state wouldn't have gone downhill and without Araragi and Shinobu arriving when they did then Nadeko doesn't swallow that damn thing and turn into an oddity herself. Makes sense since Ougi looked like a villain from the start.
Old 2013-10-12, 21:11   Link #13
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

"coming soon" oh sengoku how ill miss you!
Old 2013-10-12, 22:47   Link #14
Renge
smile

wtf did I just watch..... lol ? It was awesome but im still awe. monogatari has done it once again!

Good episode altho.. that ending.. im so confused right now. Are they really going to get killed in half a year? or ?

Also.. lol @ araragi and sanjyogahara holding hands at the ned when she clearly told them NOT to
Old 2013-10-13, 00:24   Link #15
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

so leave a giant cliffhanger...

Why do I feel like im being trolled.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 01:15   Link #16
MrFalcon

Really liked the episode. So, Nadeko has developed schizophrenia. And Ougi and Gaen are the the real villains.

Can anyone explain a few lines to me?

What does Shinobu mean when she says. "That wouldn't explain why my nocturnal self would be able to explain active in daylight hours"
"That niece pretender has one up on me"

Is that a reference to Gaen Izuko somehow?

I wish these novels were translated.
MrFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 01:27   Link #17
00Coyote

I really have no idea what to think about this episode. Where is the Heisenberg rating option?

Snakes, red eyes, head tilts, and lots of stabby action.

Then Hitagi Senjōgahara makes a phone call, in which she placates a insane yandere snake god, negotiates for 6 months of time, threatens to kill that yandere god and everyone else, and finally ends the call with some good honest straight from the heart spite.

Even as Arrarraggi is laying in a pool of his own blood (as usual) he should be proud of his girlfriend's determination.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 02:20   Link #18
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Wow! That last episode put the whole arc into context. Now a lot of things that bothered me during the past 3 episode make so much sense.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 03:19   Link #19
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I want to ask, who here honestly had NO IDEA about the big twist? When I first read the novel I DID NOT see it coming. It was a huge twist and easily the best part of the story. However I couldn't help but feel that Shaft wasn't trying very hard to keep it a secret as I felt there were some parts that was hinting it.

The one thing I didn't like about the story in general is that Hitagi was able to convince Nadeko to spare Araragi's life. She is a god now why doesn't she just murder everyone, it doesn't sense, no one should be able to stand up against her now.

However I think it is because Nisio doesn't want her to past the point of no return. Once she kills someone that's it, she's a murderer, there won't be space left for her to come back later as an ally to fight a bigger evil.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 03:20   Link #20
Wigwams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalcon View Post
Really liked the episode. So, Nadeko has developed schizophrenia. And Ougi and Gaen are the the real villains.

Can anyone explain a few lines to me?

What does Shinobu mean when she says. "That wouldn't explain why my nocturnal self would be able to explain active in daylight hours"
"That niece pretender has one up on me"

Is that a reference to Gaen Izuko somehow?

I wish these novels were translated.
From my understanding (all guesses) it means that...

1) Nadeko sneaked into araragi's house during the day. normally shinobu is asleep, but she was awake. and saying that line seems to imply that she was waiting for nadeko to arrive.

2) I think shinobu believes that Oshino Ougi (who claims to be meme's niece) is not actually oshino meme's niece.