AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-03, 21:33   Link #121
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

My bet is that it would sound like her character in Spice and Wolf.
Old 2009-06-03, 21:33   Link #122
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Envy probably being the only real trap.
Although in that case

Spoiler for manga:
Old 2009-06-03, 21:40   Link #123
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Eh haven't watched it. But if she's done such a character before it gives me hope for a possible anime adaptation of Code Geass: Nightmare of Nunnally, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Although in that case

Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2009-06-03, 21:45   Link #124
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, not "evil" per say, just cunning, according to TV Tropes. Counts as Playing Against Type compared to Nunnally.
Old 2009-06-03, 23:27   Link #125
Evil Sis
Mushi mushi...

Some questions out of pure curiosity:

Is having females voicing male roles a common thing in the world of entertainment, or is it something anime only? And why going through the trouble of doing that in the first place? Would someone be so kind as to answer me those?

Regardless, I find the Japanese seiyuus doing such a good job! Maybe it's just me 'cause of my little experience of anime, but in most cases I can hardly tell when a guy is being voiced by a girl unless I know the seiyuu's name, for example in this show, Ed and Envy. (I know I have some troubles with my ears too )
Old 2009-06-03, 23:31   Link #126
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Some female seiyu have very deep (natural) voices. Cases in point: Saiga Mitsuki and Pak Romi. Saiga-san looks andro in real life, while Romi-san practises Shaolin Kempo. In the older generation, we have Ogata Megumi (Tenoh Haruka and Ikari Shinji).

Some seiyu can voice boys somewhat convincingly, but come across as slightly whiny as time goes on. Case in point: Sanae Kobayashi as Allen Walker in DGM. Seeing as how she also voiced Lucy/Nyu in Elfen Lied, her voice isn't that deep naturally. Also, for Orikasa Ai, her voice as Quatre in Gundam Wing is, without doubt, a lady's. I joke with my friend, "Why didn't any character in Wing call Quatre out on how he sounds so much like a girl?" It's almost the exact voice she used as Galatea in Claymore 10+ years later.
Old 2009-06-03, 23:42   Link #127
Vicious108

Main characters are actually quite prone to that, especially ones from shows aimed at younger audiences it seems. To name a few...

Allen (D.Gray-man)
Goku (Dragon Ball)
Gon (Hunter x Hunter)
Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
Luffy (One Piece)
Naruto (Naruto)
Renton (Eureka Seven)
Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

And of course in FMA both Ed and Al. All voiced by female seiyuu.

So yeah, it's pretty common. And thankfully it tends to work well, as the voices are fitting regardless.
Old 2009-06-03, 23:47   Link #128
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Note that almost all the series listed above came from Weekly Shounen Jump. Also, Gon is Naruto.

I should elaborate on Suzukaze Mayo, who voiced Kenshin. To quote Wiki:

"She was previously a Takarazuka Revue stage actress and the Top Star of Moon Troupe. Her best-known Takarazuka role was that of Oscar François de Jarjayes in the 1991 Moon Troupe production of The Rose of Versailles."

One very glaring exception is Bleach, with Morita Masakazu as Ichigo.
Old 2009-06-04, 00:17   Link #129
Evil Sis
Mushi mushi...

Well, clearly it's common in anime, but I was wondering about non-anime stuff...and why it's so common in anime in the first place...

Oh well, not really matters anyway, and a little off-topic i think
Old 2009-06-04, 00:18   Link #130
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, in anime, you don't see the VAs like you see actors in TV and movies.
Old 2009-06-04, 03:43   Link #131
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I had a feeling you'd say this, and yes i agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sis View Post
Well, clearly it's common in anime, but I was wondering about non-anime stuff...and why it's so common in anime in the first place...

Oh well, not really matters anyway, and a little off-topic i think
I'm only speaking from experience, though a number of Korean films that i've seen over the years sometimes use females for male parts, though that's mainly to do with the story at hand. Like yezhanquan said, it's a bit different when you can see a female playing a male role right infront of you.
Old 2009-06-04, 05:54   Link #132
Evil Sis
Mushi mushi...

Ok, somehow I'm beginning to grasp it.

For one point, Japanese female seiyuus seem to be very capable of voicing different kinds of roles including male roles, you guys have listed many examples above.

The main point, imo is that most of anime main characters are young boys or teen boys, so the softer voices of women work just fine ,or even better, for them, and maybe female voices can be more appealing in many aspects.

Well, in the case of Al, it surely was a smart move having a female voicing him in the Japanese version. In the dub version, they had Aaron voicing Al but his voice...died young in the movie because of some major voice crackage which was very funny. (puberty sucks ) And of course Aaron's fans won't have the chance of seeing him again in this new FMA!
Old 2009-06-04, 06:28   Link #133
Kirarakim

Quote:
The main point, imo is that most of anime main characters are young boys or teen boys, so the softer voices of women work just fine ,or even better, for them, and maybe female voices can be more appealing in many aspects.
Yeah since adults are usually doing the voices an adult male voice might not work for a lot of young male characters.

Although I've also noticed that Genki male characters also tend to be voiced by female characters even if they are older.

This now makes me wonder if they will go with a female seiyuu for Ling instead of a male seiyuu. But for some reason I do think that would be wrong for his character.
Old 2009-06-06, 07:34   Link #134
Haladflire65
*Artist

I have a feeling that Lin would be voiced by a male. I don't know, a female for Ling just doesn't fit... Unless she has a deep voice like Pak, Ling would end up sounding like Al.
Old 2009-06-06, 16:57   Link #135
Same_Shark

Quote:
Some female seiyu have very deep (natural) voices. Cases in point: Saiga Mitsuki and Pak Romi. Saiga-san looks andro in real life, while Romi-san practises Shaolin Kempo. In the older generation, we have Ogata Megumi (Tenoh Haruka and Ikari Shinji).

Some seiyu can voice boys somewhat convincingly, but come across as slightly whiny as time goes on. Case in point: Sanae Kobayashi as Allen Walker in DGM. Seeing as how she also voiced Lucy/Nyu in Elfen Lied, her voice isn't that deep naturally. Also, for Orikasa Ai, her voice as Quatre in Gundam Wing is, without doubt, a lady's. I joke with my friend, "Why didn't any character in Wing call Quatre out on how he sounds so much like a girl?" It's almost the exact voice she used as Galatea in Claymore 10+ years later.
Since you mentioned two of Megumi Ogata's most famous characters. Have you ever noticed that Haruka's voice is more masculine then Shinji's?
Old 2009-06-06, 20:19   Link #136
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
Since you mentioned two of Megumi Ogata's most famous characters. Have you ever noticed that Haruka's voice is more masculine then Shinji's?
It's to play up the relationship with Michiru. She definitely wears the pants in their relationship. Looking at Shinji, I doubt he wears the pants no matter who he goes on a date with.
Old 2009-06-08, 13:06   Link #137
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Some new cast announcements for FMA:B....

Greed - Yuuichi Nakamura
Izumi - Shoko Tsuda (same as FMA1)
Sieg - Seiji Sasaki (same as FMA1)
Yoki - Kazuki Yao (same as FMA1)
Old 2009-06-08, 13:19   Link #138
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yuuichi Nakamura is not a bad choice for Greed. He's done a similar personality in his past work, so i can see it working.
Old 2009-06-08, 15:26   Link #139
Vicious108

They keep all those from FMA1... but NOT Junichi freaking Suwabe's awesome Greed? *sigh*

Oh well, guess I'll wait and see what Nakamura sounds like as him.
Old 2009-06-16, 08:16   Link #140
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Another swap due to 00. Graham Aker as Greed. Oh boy...