AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-24, 12:19   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Shinrei Tantei Yakumo manga and light novel discussion

Summary
Based on novel by Kaminaga Manabu. Shinrei tantei yakumo aka psychic detective yakumo tells a story about a college student, Saitou Yakumo who born with different eye colors. His red left eye gave him a special ability to see ghosts and spirits. He believes ghosts and spirits are bound to earth because of a certain 'cause' and simply by eliminating that 'cause' will those spirits rest in peace. Being asked for help by Ozawa Haruka, together they began the investigation.

Novel and manga are both ongoing.

Since I know the novel and manga are different please make sure you use correct spoilers tags indicting what youre discussing espc if something happens in the novel that isnt in the manga.

I havent read the novel yet but was very impressed with the manga. I read both vers (biased to Oda-sensei's art) but I do remember hearing that Oda's vers isnt going to be the same as Miyako-sensei who did the first vers of the manga.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-01-24, 14:21   Link #2
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
I do remember hearing that Oda's vers isnt going to be the same as Miyako-sensei who did the first vers of the manga.
Yeah. What I heard was that after the first story which explains how Yakumo and Haruka meet, Oda's version will skip the next 2 stories and start with novel 2. (My understanding is that Miyako's version covered the 3 stories that make up novel 1.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2010-01-24, 14:25   Link #3
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Yeah. What I heard was that after the first story which explains how Yakumo and Haruka meet, Oda's version will skip the next 2 stories and start with novel 2. (My understanding is that Miyako's version covered the 3 stories that make up novel 1.)
That's kind of a shame. While the second case wasn't all too great, the third case was really good. But it makes sense, as you can only read the same story so many times before you get tired of it.
Old 2010-01-24, 14:47   Link #4
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's kind of a shame. While the second case wasn't all too great, the third case was really good. But it makes sense, as you can only read the same story so many times before you get tired of it.
I was a little disappointed when I learned about the skip. I would have liked to have seen Oda's interpretation of the third case which is my favorite of the first 3.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2010-01-25, 15:20   Link #5
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Well, there's always a possibility it might get adapted later on.
That reminds me the live-action drama had a completely different order. Book 3 > book 2 > locked room > dark tunnel. Very strange.

Someone told me Yakumo may not be a light novel. Each book is between 300-450 pages (and no illustrations). Aren't light novels usually around 250 pgs?
Old 2010-01-25, 16:30   Link #6
LKK

Most of the light novels I'm familiar with run about 250 pages. On the other hand, isn't a light novel defined by more than just the page count? I thought intended audience and the amount of kanji in the text also played into determining whether a novel is a "light" novel or not. As for no illustrations, I have a couple of light novels that aren't illustrated.

Old 2010-01-25, 17:15   Link #7
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Well, at least from the pages I've seen there's no furigana. I never read a light novel before, so I don't know much about them.
Old 2010-01-26, 04:51   Link #8
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Hmm. The number of pages of novel is not what defines a light novel I think. To aru Majutsu no Index also have more than 400 pages, but it's definitely a light novel. Bakemonogatari also doesn't have any illustration, and rarely have furigana, but it's also considered a light novel.

Reading the manga version, the story definitely have potential, although not that original(Ghost hunt has a rather similar premise, although this one has more detective part while ghost hunt has more spirit part). The problem is reading a light novel of detective story always make my head hurts since I'm still kinda a beginner at japanese ><.
Old 2010-02-17, 14:43   Link #9
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

In any case... There is someone is translating the Yakumo novel to English and it's being posted over at pd_yakumo at livejournal.

I've been reading those and what I found particularly interesting...

Spoiler for Yakumo's eyes (Locked Room novel spoilers):
Old 2010-02-17, 18:58   Link #10
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightReverie View Post
I've been reading those and what I found particularly interesting...

Spoiler for Yakumo's eyes (Locked Room novel spoilers):
He can? I can't remember if the manga touched on that or not - or if it will touch on it at all. I wonder how he is able to do that. I haven't really sat down and read the translations carefully yet. Need to find time to do that...dammit, I need to find time to do so many things.

Then does that mean he can't see water? (It's not solid)

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-17, 19:26   Link #11
LKK

I'm pretty sure that piece of information was not included in the manga. I was surprised when I read that tiny scene in the novel translations.

Old 2010-02-25, 11:38   Link #12
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Quoting myself to say that the second Yakumo by Oda story did indeed skip to the start of novel 2.

Spoiler for minor spoiler for chapter 3 with no giveaway details:

Old 2010-03-06, 15:00   Link #13
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I thought I was nuts since if you saw me tweeting that at the end of the first story I didnt know the culprits were switched, when she meets the kid on the roof I was like, wait isnt suppose to be the Sensei. Kinda cool since it made reading it again more fun.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that piece of information was not included in the manga.
But he does show Haruka her sister in the end of the first story.

Onto the new stuff now! I really need to get around to reading the novels
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-03-06, 22:01   Link #14
Dark Mage

Can someone who has read the novels please spoil me abit? I want to know if there is at all any relationship progression between Haruka and Yakumo? Or does Haruka fall for some other guy? Has either of them atleast realised their feelings? Are there any hints, big or small, that can be taken as clues that they might have feelings for each other? Is there any hint of romance at all?
Old 2010-03-07, 08:24   Link #15
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Can someone who has read the novels please spoil me abit? I want to know if there is at all any relationship progression between Haruka and Yakumo? Or does Haruka fall for some other guy? Has either of them atleast realised their feelings? Are there any hints, big or small, that can be taken as clues that they might have feelings for each other? Is there any hint of romance at all?
I only know from second-hand that the author is being (painfully) slow with the relationship development. Without saying much...

Spoiler:
Old 2010-03-07, 10:13   Link #16
LKK

Quote:
I thought I was nuts since if you saw me tweeting that at the end of the first story I didnt know the culprits were switched, when she meets the kid on the roof I was like, wait isnt suppose to be the Sensei. Kinda cool since it made reading it again more fun.
I went back to the novel translation to check who really dunnit there. Oda's version is the changed version. I wonder why she did that? Maybe Asuka (the manga magazine) felt that the original culprit would be against some policy they have? (Asuka is the magazine that refused to let CLAMP show a ravaged Tokyo in X leading to CLAMP refusing to publish X in Asuka any more. Clearly they're concerned about public opinion on their image as a magazine.)

Quote:
I only know from second-hand that the author is being (painfully) slow with the relationship development. Without saying much...

Spoiler:
Question about spoiler.
Spoiler:

Old 2010-03-07, 11:06   Link #17
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

Question

I couldn't figure out that label for Yakumo > Haruka since the second kanji was too unclear, and I just don't know enough to be more precise. Same goes for the Ishii > Gotou. Someone help?

v
Spoiler:

I just thought that Oda (Asuka?) did that to shuffle it up a bit so it wouldn't look like a carbon copy of the other version. Oh, and I noticed that neither manga had the culprit jumping off the roof.

Last edited by MidnightReverie; 2010-03-07 at 13:14.
Old 2010-03-08, 11:58   Link #18
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:

But he does show Haruka her sister in the end of the first story.
So I guess I wasn't the only one who was beginning to question her own memory (yet again, in my case ). Good to know that I really haven't gone senile.

Yeah, it seems that in this version of the manga, Yakumo's special ability was revealed.

I think there are hints that Yakumo has taken a liking to Haruka. The strongest evidence so far is his quote (in chapter 2 of the first case): "I am fine with just that..." - then he blushes and gets all flustered after he realized what he said. Gah, I just simply adore Yakumo. He's the first I'm going completely gahgah for since Naru from GH.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-03-08, 17:27   Link #19
MidnightReverie
Senior Lurker

I'm done with the chart. It's not a real or full translation (only the names) and I made it so there wouldn't be any major spoilers. Mild spoilers for how some characters might feel about each other. Oh, I changed the pictures too.

Spoiler for relationship chart (mild spoilers):
Old 2010-03-08, 19:18   Link #20
Dark Mage

Quote:
I'm done with the chart. It's not a real or full translation (only the names) and I made it so there wouldn't be any major spoilers. Mild spoilers for how some characters might feel about each other. Oh, I changed the pictures too.

Spoiler for relationship chart (mild spoilers):
Thanks alot for that Awesome chart, really helped me understand things properly. I think although Yakumo hasnt revealed that he loves Haruka, the way he behaves around her and cares for her speaks volumes doesnt it? He doesnt care for any other person like he does for Haruka, its only a matter of time IMO. The only thing worrying is maybe Haruka will lose patience and go for the easier next guy (ISHII) if Yakumo remains stubborn till the end or doesnt start recipocrating her feelings until its too late

Last edited by Dark Mage; 2010-03-09 at 02:09.
Closed Thread