AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-25, 08:31   Link #21
ZODDGUTS

To be fair I think Yamakan ran over he's cat, that may explain why he has a vendetta against him.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 18:31   Link #22
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Wow.. get over yourself. Passing off personal preference and a vendetta against a director as though it's some enlightened commentary = fail. Not everyone's obliged to agree with your opinions. I certainly don't.
These aren't really opinions. Some fiction is just objectively bad (badly written, badly plotted, or something similar). Which of course doesn't mean you can't like it; I certainly enjoyed a lot of objectively bad shows, but you shouldn't try to pretend they're actually good. Everyone has their guilty pleasures.

Quote:
How long have you "been around" for anyway?
Longer than you!

Quote:
Obviously not long enough to realise that just because something is for the josei demographic doesn't make it inherently fantastic.
missingthepoint.jpg
The point was that trying to apply the "moé" label to a josei manga makes no sense. That being said, in my experience josei is by far the least retarded demographic. (Yes, least retarded. Unfortunately not even I can really generalize it to "shounen is bad"; every demographic contains pretty much 90% bad (Sturgeon's Law), it's just that josei tends to have the least amount of pure retardedness.)

Quote:
And you haven't looked very deeply into much, however long you've been around; A-1 Pictures pulls together some great animators for many of its anime.
What show(s) exactly animated by A-1 have had great animation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
To be fair I think Yamakan ran over he's cat, that may explain why he has a vendetta against him.
I wish I had a cat ;_;
so I could let Yamakan run it over and hate him even more
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 19:17   Link #23
Washi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
These aren't really opinions. Some fiction is just objectively bad (badly written, badly plotted, or something similar).
I agree, but it can't be objectively bad before it's even been released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
What show(s) exactly animated by A-1 have had great animation?
Kannagi had some stand out animation, especially contributions from Hiroki Tanaka, and Seiya Numata. Seiya Numata was animation director for episode 2, and contributed key animation as well. That episode was superbly animated. Hiroko Tanaka is another well-known animator who also one of many excellent animators pulled together under the joint Ordet and A-1 Pictures work on Black Rock Shooter. Granted, Hiroki Tanaka is freelance, but the fact is that Yamakan is able to gather some coveted animators for his projects, and his co-founded studio, Ordet has some talented members. Yamakan is also an accomplished episode director. His work on Haruhi and Kannagi was really good on a technical and creative level, and Kannagi showed that he has what it takes to be a series director (contrary to KyoAni's assessment). He's an outspoken director who can really bring a lot to an anime - not many episode directors have become famous for their dance choreography, after all!

Also, if you've ever read any of his interviews, you'll see that he isn't all about otaku-pandering at all. If this series fails, you'll be happy because he announced that he'll retire from anime if that happens. He'll probably just keep going with his live-action directing career XD

And for the record, So-ra-no-wo-to also had good animation, with a high number of drawings per episode. Unless you're making the basic mistake of confusing art and animation, you'll recognise this. I didn't watch Senkou no Night Raid, but episode 1 featured a really well-executed action sequence. Also Birdy the Mighty Decode is broadly recognised as a good example of a 'sakuga' anime by animation fans. Season 2 had some seriously amazing animation work, especially Hiroki Tanaka's stuff. And don't forget that an animation studio doesn't neccesarily imply how something will turn out, they are an ANIMATION studio (although there are exceptions). If A-1 Pictures is given a good original series to work on, there's no reason to say it'll be otaku-pandering, and there's a high chance it will be well-animated.

But I'll agree that Mari Okada's involvement isn't too inspiring.

In future, if you want to dissmiss something offhand, that's fine, but don't jump on someone who disagrees.
Old 2010-08-25, 19:36   Link #24
Falkor

TheFluff, if you have nothing to say about the show itself, I suggest you create a thread in the General Anime section so you can rant all you want about "moé".

I would appreciate it, some people would appreciate it, if you don't continue the flame-bait/troll-bait, which is leading to nothing more than a rather silly, pointless and off-topic "discussion".

to everyone else still thinking in replying to his posts, either ignore him or pester him through PM's.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 12:24   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ouch. The anime's chara design is pretty disappointing.
Old 2010-09-10, 18:00   Link #26
Falkor

probably not something you would expect after looking at the concept illustration.

I have liked a similar style in the past, so it's fine for me. good things to say: it's a bit minimalistic but does a great job addressing form/space (and foreshortening); and you can easily tell each of the characters apart. I imagine the colors are going to be much brighter than the scan. oh and also liked the fact it's addressing the pupil of the eye.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 19:41   Link #27
FireChick

...is it just me, or does the lead male look REALLY chubby for some reason?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 20:09   Link #28
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
...is it just me, or does the lead male look REALLY chubby for some reason?
He's the one that looks the worse of them all. Talk about being hit with the ugly stick.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 21:03   Link #29
Kakkou
Tch.

Yeah, the character design transition did not fare well for the guy. At least this is not Sora no Woto levels of bad conversion, but it could have been much better especially since it's a noitaminA series.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 01:11   Link #30
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Ouch. The anime's chara design is pretty disappointing.
I wouldn't say "disappointing", rather just "pleasant. Not great, not perfect, but certainly not dreck; just pleasent
Old 2010-09-19, 22:34   Link #31
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Original Character Concept : Hidari (左)
HOLY SHIT, how did I miss that part?!?!?!

Rest of the staff be damned, this is the only part that's needed for me to watch this. Uso-tsuki Mii-kun to Kowareta Maa-chan and Tamako-san to Kashiwa-kun both have REALLLLLYYYY awesome character design (especially Tamako to Kashiwa, which has an awesomeeee volume 1 cover).

After briefly browsing the website (which I thought the characters look a ton better than that mag scan) I'm definitely in. Regardless, I have good faith in this until proven otherwise when the show airs.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 12:11   Link #32
Kunagisa

Hey, good news! There's a manga that's going to start before the anime airing. You can read chapter 1 at GanGanOnline.

Hell, if you don't understand Japanese (like me!), you might as well read it anyway. Art is much better than the mag scan posts earlier. Too bad the official website kinda spoiled part of the story, but hell Furyune looks , Kurein/Kurin doesn't look half bad either.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-08, 16:27   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

http://journal.mycom.co.jp/news/2010...002/index.html

Presentation of the major characters. I love the original character design.
Old 2010-10-08, 19:28   Link #34
kyouray
2D > 3D

Moeran is a 40 years-old priest but she looks younger and I love her attractiveness.
Phryne is fine too.
Old 2010-10-12, 21:40   Link #35
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I hope that's just the scan and not the actual quality of the show. Seems like it has a really low budget just from the art.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 12:03   Link #36
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I'm not too hung up on art styles as much as smooth animation, i don't know what to expect, but as long as the boy isn't useless, it may warrant a watch from me ~(*,*~)
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 19:58   Link #37
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

You guys do know that Yamakan said he will even risk retirement when this anime fails. Since Yamakan himself is putting too much hype on it, I'm slightly worried. What if it REALLY fails? This might be his final farewell.
Old 2010-10-28, 07:53   Link #38
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Now you have really got me hyped. >_>

The man's putting his future on the line?
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 08:04   Link #39
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
The man's putting his future on the line?
More like his words.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 22:05   Link #40
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
You guys do know that Yamakan said he will even risk retirement when this anime fails. Since Yamakan himself is putting too much hype on it, I'm slightly worried. What if it REALLY fails? This might be his final farewell.
Truly doubt he's putting his future on the line.

The website designs look nice.

Tags
a-1 pictures, noitamina, yamamoto yutaka