AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-11-01, 18:45   Link #2541
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm still waiting for you to get off your perch and try to actually have a discussion rather than throwing in a comment and then running away (You're pretty guilty of this too Shiroth ).
You're very much welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
From what I've seen, it seems to be people who liked the original show (liked, not really loved) that think it's some kind of money grab. Not that I agree with that.
A lot of people think whatever Gainax do is a money grab, which is a total downer on one of the greatest animation studios out there today. There's a few products like the Evangelion drinks () that might fall into the money grab situation, though Rebuild is far from that in my opinion.
Old 2010-11-01, 18:57   Link #2542
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
A lot of people think whatever Gainax do is a money grab, which is a total downer on one of the greatest animation studios out there today. There's a few products like the Evangelion drinks () that might fall into the money grab situation, though Rebuild is far from that in my opinion.
Rebuild is not part by Gainax. Anno made his own studio and all so he'd be free to do what he wanted.
Old 2010-11-01, 19:00   Link #2543
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Rebuild is not part by Gainax.
Yeah i know that, though the fact is Evangelion is a Gainax show, so people will forever include Rebuild as apart of that. A shame, i know.
Old 2010-11-02, 04:12   Link #2544
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
You're very much welcome.
It's good to know I have such fans.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 04:22   Link #2545
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
There's a few products like the Evangelion drinks () that might fall into the money grab situation
Oh, c'mon, I'd love to have some of those drink bottles, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 04:42   Link #2546
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, c'mon, I'd love to have some of those drink bottles, myself.
I'm not saying i wouldn't , though they're obviously cash in's.

& thanks to whoever gave me the neg rep.
Old 2010-11-02, 06:31   Link #2547
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Obvious cash-ins, obviously. Still strangely amusing, tho.

Quote:
& thanks to whoever gave me the neg rep.
Yeah, those seem to be going around, I think.

Trying to bring this back to any kind of normalcy, the company that brought 1.11 here has finally announced its plans to bring 2.0, as well. Just hope they do include the HD audio tracks, this time.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:01   Link #2548
Greg88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think that was the point.
Not really. If you thought so, that's a case of unintantional cleverness on my part.

Here's the pic i originally wanted to post.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 06:37   Link #2549
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"Moar Tantrumm grrrr"

On the other hand, I must admit to liking the song Beautiful World a lot. That trailer for 1.0 way back when got me pumped. Also, I was very late to watching Evangelion-- in fact when I finished watching it all was when that trailer came out-- and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 12:33   Link #2550
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Beautiful World is an amazing song.

And Funimation is releasing 2.22 on BD/DVD this February. They should have done it for the holiday season...but I'm sure they have their reasons.
Old 2010-11-16, 12:34   Link #2551
Used Can

Awesome, I'm definitely getting it. It's much more affordable, in a language I understand and easier to acquire than the HK release.

Anyway, I hope we'll get any news about 3.0 soon.
Old 2010-11-16, 12:49   Link #2552
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I can't wait to watch it because everything looks amazing on BD. People don't realize how much is lost when a BD is ripped and then compressed. And of course there is the sound that's awesome too. You can enjoy the same sound but you need the right equipment and software. More people have BD players than that stuff, so yeah.
Old 2010-11-16, 12:52   Link #2553
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
"Moar Tantrumm grrrr"

On the other hand, I must admit to liking the song Beautiful World a lot. That trailer for 1.0 way back when got me pumped. Also, I was very late to watching Evangelion-- in fact when I finished watching it all was when that trailer came out-- and it couldn't have come at a better time.
You're no alone in liking the song, it's in my mp3 player and gets quite a bit of plays on my behalf
Old 2010-11-18, 21:43   Link #2554
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

any info on when 3.0 will be releasing, i think its like every 2 years right? so it should be in 2011, or at least it was 2 years between 1 and 2
Old 2010-11-23, 02:21   Link #2555
OgodItsKanon
ばかな王女様
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
any info on when 3.0 will be releasing, i think its like every 2 years right? so it should be in 2011, or at least it was 2 years between 1 and 2
No information about 3.0/Q's release date has been announced yet.
Old 2010-12-06, 20:55   Link #2556
otakudude303

I'm eagerly waiting for Rebuild 3.0. I hope it's as awesome as the first two, and I hope 4.0/End of Evangelion Ver. 2 is even better. And Beautiful World is epic, I've got like 500 plays for that on my iTunes. I wasn't too hot on her version of Fly Me to The Moon though...
otakudude303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 03:51   Link #2557
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, I didn't think her style seemed suited for Fly me to the Moon. Both versions of Beautiful World are great though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-07, 16:48   Link #2558
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

There's no English version for those songs, right?
Old 2011-01-01, 15:37   Link #2559
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Yeah, I just realized that Utada Hikaru does Beautiful World. She is more than fluent in English. If only there were an English version...
Old 2011-01-01, 16:44   Link #2560
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So I held out on posting things about these behind the scene excerpts, but since the thread got bumped, I feel obliged to show you how sh*t the decision making process behind this film was.

Quote:
At that time, based on the current screenplay, the film was projected to run between 130 and 140 minutes, and the aim was to reduce it to less than 120.
because we were limited by the running time of the film, the number of scenes depicting the activity of other characters would be reduced. Even watching the completed film, there are selections we made at the last minute.
I fucking knew it. Lets keep Toiji and friends in the film why don't we!

Quote:
Excerpt 1: http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/226/enokido1.png

Enokido: Because "Rebuild of Evangelion" is basically a reconstruction of the TV series, we presume that sooner or later Rei II will die. If Shinji-kun were to save Rei II it would mean a significant departure from the TV series. However, I believed that the last scene of the film had to be an earth-shattering climax. When I had this idea, it was impossible for me not to communicate it. I remember, on the third day [of the sessions], performing a solo play in front of everyone using hand gestures and body movements entitled "this is how it ends!"

-- So, in this play, you performed actions like [Shinji] pulling [Rei] up and out [of the Angel]?

Enokido: Right. Rei gets completely absorbed by the Angel. It's just as though she has died and entered the netherworld. The audience is thinking that Rei is dead. Despite this, Shinji pilots Unit-01 again in order to save Rei. He cries out "Ayanami!" and reaches forward, with an awful noise, through the front of the entry plug. He must establish some means of descending to the underworld. Finally, having grabbed (the unclothed) Rei’s hand, he pulls her out with a sudden movement. I feel I demonstrated this method of rescue with all my might. I completely transformed into Shinji. I think everyone was staring at me very coldly (laugh).

Excerpt 2: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9607/enokido2.png

Enokido: ... I felt the development of the second half of the TV series was incredible. Only, I was a little saddened by death of Rei II and her replacement by Rei III. For myself, I wanted that Rei who had repatedly shared battles and encounters with Shinji to go on to the end. But the original scenario for "Break" was, naturally, similar to the TV series, with Rei II self-destructing. On the morning of the third day [the production team] stayed together, I suddenly had the thought: "What if, in the final scene, Shinji happened to save Rei? ... It would be incredible!" I worked myself up into a frenzy. Among the reasons for my enthusiasm was the recognition that this would completely overturn the expectations of the audience. When we speak of the most important “catharsis” provided by film, we might say that a film creates in the audience a sense that the characters are in danger, only to overturn it: we go from, “this character is in danger and surely will be badly hurt,” to “it can’t be!” This constitutes, so to speak, a betrayal of the audience in the form of a sudden change. “Salvation” is the essence of the final scene.

Excerpt 3: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7826/enokido3.png

[Note: I couldn't quite work out the complete meaning of the first two sentences of this part without knowing the question Enokido was asked, so I left them out. They seem to relate to Anno and his assistant Todoroki "taking over" the concept.]

Enokido: ... At that time I had only decided that Shinji would save Rei II. Afterwards, as I was performing and conveying my unfinished idea, I was entering a kind of trance state. As is typical of me, when I reached the climactic scene where [Shinji] cries “Ayanami!” and begins to walk forward[?], just as I grabbed [Rei’s] hand and pulled [her] upwards, I suddenly came back to myself (laugh). “Now what happens?” I wondered. Now, in the film, when Shinji saves Rei, Kaworu-kun suddenly descends from heaven and impales him with a spear. When I was enthusiastically performing the "saving" scene, I couldn't envision anything except Kaworu-kun stabbing me with something sharp and screaming "That's Enough! Act Responsibly!" (laugh)
Sigh.

Quote:
Enokido: There were many scenes at the start of the script showing a deeper friendship between Misato, Ristuko, and Kaji that were discarded. They were "film-like" scenes and, from the dramatic perspective, very good; however, because I thought it was best to organize the film around Shinji, I proposed that they be cut. Because Anno is the chief director, if he hates a cut he can prevent it by saying "I want that scene to stay." However, he doesn't do so. Nevertheless, when he's displeased the atmosphere becomes very oppressive (laughs).

Furthermore, when even Tsurumaki-san, the one person I expected to support me, started saying things like "I'm an Asuka fan, and I won't be happy if this scene gets cut," I had a feeling like, "Huh?" (laughs). At that time, Masayuki-san came to my rescue, saying "Look, we should just do as Enokido-san says, okay?" I had the impression that I had just barely kept my place [at Atami] (laughs). Masayuki probably decided to bring "balance" to the sessions (laughs).

--- It was difficult, wasn't it? (laughs)

Enokido: Only, once we had cut a few scenes, naturally the next problem was the opposite one; owing to the cuts you could begin to see gaps detracting from the organization of the whole. As these gaps arose from cuts I had made, naturally I, as the person responsible, had to fix them. For example, while in the first half of the film Asuka appears as a character who strongly repels others, in the second half she becomes a little kinder, and develops into a character who is concerned with Shinji's feelings. This development is crucial, but I had a feeling that, due to my excessive cuts, the basis for this change became too thin. Trying to make up for that loss, I had the idea for a scene where Asuka, unable to bear her loneliness, enters, uninvited, the room of the sleeping Shinji. The scene used in the film was translated from the concept almost exactly. By inserting this scene, it seemed likely that something of a connection between the "first half" Asuka and the "second half" Asuka could be skillfully established.
Goddamnit.

Quote:
Here are translations of the two memos included with Enokido's interview. These translations were done quickly, and are rough, like everything else, so corrections are appreciated.

The first memo is a "group memo" taken down by Ikki Todoroki on the third day of the Atami retreat and contains a list of all the scenes expected to remain in the script. There are some interesting differences between this and the final film. The final scene appears to be a synthesis of the original Rei "suicide scene" and the "Shinji saves Rei" scenario.

The second memo is the one referred to in the interview above and is an attempt by Enokido to "develop" the Asuka-Mari rivalry. Only four pages of this memo are reproduced.

Edit: going to put my speculations/feelings/prejudices aside for the moment.

---------------------------------------------

"Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Break" Screenplay Retreat Memo
2007/10/31 - 11/2 Atami

"Break" hakogaki

North Pole: Mari/Unit-05 versus the 3rd Angel

[On Lake ??]: Asuka/Unit-02 versus the 7th Angel (Main Staff Titles)

~ Main Title ~

- Graveyard: Gendo and Shinji visit Yui's grave
Rei's appearance in Gendo's VTOL aircraft.
Shinji returns in Misato's car. Regarding Operation Yashima: "Your father appreciates you, too." Shinji recognizes Misato's concern.

- Navy port? : Arrival of Unit-02
Misato and Shinji returning from Yui's grave.
Appearance of Mari as Unit-02's backup pilot.
Appearance of Kaji.

- Depiciton of everyday life
Kaji and Ritsuko.
Asuka and Mari become part of Shinji's class.
Asuka, Shinji, and Misato's daily life together. A conversation about Misato's scar and Second Impact?
Mari living at Hikari's house.

- Nerv HQ: Synchro Test
Mari's synchro rate exceeds Asuka's.

- The Moon: Gendo and Fuyutsuki observing Unit-06
Meeting with Kaworu.

- Aquarium: Shinji, Asuka, Mari, Hikari, Touji, Kensuke, Kaji
Everyone eats Bentos made by Mari and Hikari.
Rei understands the value of cooking.
Asuka is isolated.
Shinji calls Gendo but doesn't get through.
Kaji tells Shinji about Second Impact.

- Spaceship returning from the moon: Gendo and Fuyutsuki viewing the Earth's tragic appearance

- Attack of the 8th Angel
Mari selected as Unit-02's pilot. She is injured from the battle with the 3rd Angel, but instead of declining, she accepts.
Asuka is shocked.
Shinji asks Mari why she pilots. Mari talks about "severe reality."
A confrontation between Misato and Ritsuko concerning the pilots.

- Battle with the 8th Angel: A victory where Unit-01 takes the leading role
Shinji is praised by Gendo.
"What Misato said was true." Shinji and Misato make eye contact.
Unit-00 and Unit-02 are partly damaged.

- Depiction of everyday life
Conversation between Rei and Shinj. "You seemed like a mother."
Shinji makes Bentos for everybody. Rei, Hikari, Mari, and Asuka eating them.
Conversation between Touji and Shinji. "You've changed."
Rei's room. "Thank you. Words of gratitude. The first time I've used them."

- Rei's tank - A meal with the commander
Rei in the tank. Gendo and Ritsuko, "Rei no Kankei". [Rei's connection? A conversation connected with Rei??]
Rei invites Gendo to a dinner party with Shinji.

- Nerv HQ Lounge - Watermelon Patch
Conversation between Kaji and Shinji. "Something good happened?" "Somewhat." "You gained some self-confidence?" "A little bit."

- Rei's room - School
Rei practicing cooking.

~ Eyecatch ~

- Misato's Apartment
Asuka making Miso soup. She knows about Rei's plans for her dinner party.

- Unit-04's disappearance
Explanation of Eva's relation to world affairs.
Discussion regarding the Unit-03 activation experiment.

- Preparation for the Unit-03 activation experiment
Unit-02 goes to Sasebo (is this necessary?)
Gendo has the dummy plug installed in Unit-01. Conversation between Maya and Ritsuko.

- Who is the pilot of Unit-03?
Unit-03's activation on the same day Rei plans to have her dinner party.
Asuka understands Rei's feelings for Shinji.
Asuka declares herself a candidate to pilot Unit-03.
Rei phones Asuka "Thank you."
Touji's sister leaving the hospital.

- Unit-03 activation experiment
Conversation between Asuka and Misato. "It's a nice feeling to talk to someone."
Unit-03 taken over by the 9th Angel.

- Battle against Unit-03
Unit-01's dummy plug is installed.
Kaworu watching what happens to Asuka (アスカの成り行きを見ているカヲル).
Shinji refusing to destroy Unit-03 ("I won't do anything" Shinji)
Unit-01 switches over to the dummy system.
Unit-01 crushes Unit-03's entry plug. Asuka, terribly injured.

- Nerv Headquarters
A rebellious Shinji remains inside Unit-01.
Shinji faints due to increased LCL pressure. Unit-01's power stopped.

- Hospital
Rei in the lobby holding a Bento box.
Shinji's dream. "I couldn't forgive my father's betrayal." And so on.

- Nerv Command Room
Conversation between Shinji and Gendo. "I don't want to pilot Eva anymore."

- Shinji leaves Nerv
Hikari, Kensuke, Touji call Shinji.
Ritsuko talking to someone. "Rei, she didn't cry."
Shinji's DAT player abandoned in a garbage container.
Rei's room, abandoned cooking utensils.

- Considering the Location (is the scene itself necessary?)
Conversation between a departing Shinji and Misato. Conversation with Mari?

- 10th Angel Attacks
Nerv battles an Angel that invades the Geofront. The Angel shrugs off every attack.

- Shelter - ?
Shinji sees the tragedy of the ordinary people (Nerv staff members?).

- Nerv Command Centre
Unit-01 refuses the dummy plug. Gendo facing the cage.

- Watermelon Patch
Coversation between Mari and Shinji. (At the time of the Unit-03 affair, protect Asuka or kill her and protect the world, there was nothing you could do).

- 10th Angel versus Unit-00
Unit-00 plunges forward with a bomb. Unit-00 is seriously damaged and can no longer fight.
The Angel eats Unit-00. In headquarters, Rei's signal vanishes.

- Watermelon Patch / Geofront
Shinji decides and stars running. Shinji struggles over rubble and other obstacles.

- Nerv Headquarters
The Angel penetrates into headquarters.
Gendo faces a wounded Shinji covered with blood.
"Let me pilot."

- 10th Angel versus Unit-01 (1)
Eva-01 plunges into the command centre.
Eva-01 is shot into the geofront and attempts to tear Unit-00 apart from the Angel.

- Angel becomes the "corroding type"
Rei's heart wants to be one with Shinji. Unit-00 (taken in by the Angel) corrodes Unit-01.
Unit-01 is accepting and nonresistant. "So you came to trust Rei that deeply, Shinji-kun?" [そんなにレイに心を許していたのね, シンジ君. In the storyboard, そんなに is そんなにまで and the line is spoken by Ritsuko.]
Unit-01 is near its power limit.
Rei begins to self-destruct.

- 10th Angel versus Unit-01 (2)
Unit-01's power limit reached.
Unit-01 goes berserk.
400% synchro rate, furious Shinji. Unit-01 plunges its body (arm?) into the Angel. In the same way, Shinji stretches out his arm inside the entry plug. Rei's hand materializes; when Shinji pulls her out, her body materializes.
The berserk doesn't stop; Unit-01 transforms into a giant of light.
Unit-01 destroys the Angel with overwhelming power.

- Unit-06 Arrives
Suddenly, a spear flies in. Unit-01's berserk is halted.
Unit-06 enters the atmosphere. Removes Unit-01's entry plug.
Fuyutsuki and Gendo's conversation. "Finally, he has come." "From here, everything begins."
The reunion of Kaworu and Shinji.

~ To be continued ~

Concerning Mari:

- A character like Wato-san from "The Three-Eyed One."
The type who will suddenly initiate physical contact.
"Boku" character
She has very serious thoughts. The most adult of all the pilots.

- Mari lives together with Hikari in Hikari's house. They are close friends (Asuka's position in the previous work). They make Bentos together, and so on.
- She has the names of the pets she has kept tattooed along her back.

- Asuka thinks Mari is just the backup pilot for Unit-02.
She calls Mari "Hoketsu" [substitute].

Other things:

- Concerning the battle with 8th Angel.
At the time of the operation, Unit-02 flies in via transport?
The 8th Angel materializes from a vortex of clouds resembling the eye of a typhoon.

- When the dummy plug system is put into operation, the dummy plug's "human model" [ヒト型] pins down Shinji's body so he can't escape.

End

Participants: Hideaki ANNO, MASAYUKI, Kazuya TSURUMAKI, Youji ENOKIDO, Ikki TODOROKI.
Memo taken down by: Ikki TODOROKI.

---------------------------------------------

Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Break
Organizational Plan Draft
2007/10/13 Youji ENOKIDO

The major elements of the story are fundamentally unchanged.
Mari and Asuka's development will be slightly altered.

At the beginning, after the battle with the Angel at the Arctic Branch, Mari and Kaji return together to Japan.

On the way, Mari destroys an Angel with Unit-02.

Asuka arrives seperately, at the same time as Mari and Kaji.
As both Asuka and Mari are designated pilots of Unit-02, they have a rivalry.
Because Asuka believes that she is unquestionably the true pilot and Mari is a spare, she is especially strongly attached to Unit-02.
Mari is more composed than Asuka, and appears to be interested in Shinji instead.

After the synchro test results, it is decided that Mari is to be Unit-02's true pilot.
Asuka is shocked.
When the Angel that falls from the sky is defeated, Mari is piloting.
The operation succeeds, but Unit-02 is heavily damaged.

Unit-03 arrives in Japan, and Asuka is chosen as the pilot.
Asuka is delighted. But there is a tragedy.

When Shinji revolts against Gendou and abadons Eva, Mari persuades him to pilot again.

- "Old" North Pole (Pages 1-2)
The scene by itself is not changed. Only:
One thing pertaining to Mari's character development.
Mari is portrayed as the exclusive pilot of provisional Evangelion Unit-05, but Unit-05 is in the care of the Arctic Base; conversely, it is to be clearly indicated that she is there temporarily to safeguard the third angel's seal, and was originally the pilot of Unit-02.
In brief, in this work Asuka and Mari become rivals to pilot Unit-02.
In this case, it's probably necessary to slightly alter scenes, adding lines like "you're not much like Asuka-chan."

- Pacific Ocean - Old Ito-Area Waters (Pages 2-3)
One is reminded of a return to the naval fleet transport scene from Episode 8, but the attacking angel is different.
Unit-02 stands on the deck of a ship to meet the angel's attack.
Kaji gazes at the frame of Unit-02, shining deep crimson beneath the open sky.
But, the pilot in the cockpit - is Mari.
Proceeding from the opening scene, Kaji accompianies Mari on her transfer.
So Asuka is not aboard the naval fleet.
Mari destroys the angel with Unit-02.

- The military transport vessel arrives in port (Pages 3-4)
Shinji, Touji, and Kensuke watch Evangelion Unit-02 arriving.
Asuka arrives via a VTOL aircraft (or something similar).
She arrives by herself from Germany.
Asuka, who is convinced she is the exclusive pilot of Unit-02, boasts to Shinji and his friends about Unit-02 (as in the script).
But, Asuka is shocked when she sees Mari emerge wearing Unit-02's plug suit.
"You used Unit-02 without my permission?!"
Furthermore, when she sees Mari's behaviour with Kaji, she is shocked once again.

- At school - Year 2 Class A (Page 4)
Asuka and Mari are moving into their new places.
Asuka introduces herself as "The true pilot of Evangelion Unit-02."
Meanwhile, Mari's reaction to seeing Shinji.

- At school - By the school gate (Page 6)
Asuka no longer becomes friends with Hikari.
Or, somehow worried about Asuka, Hikari is about to call out to her, but she is interrupted by Mari calling out to Hikari, etc.

- (Pages 7-8, in and around the scene where Asuka moves into Misato's place --)
Insert a scene with Mari living at Hikari's house.
"I don't like living alone. (For this reason she kept many cats and dogs, etc.)"
"I already have two sisters living here, so one more person doesn't matter."
Mari becomes friends with Hikari.
In short, by becoming the pilot of Unit-02, arriving with Kaji, becoming friends with Hikari, and so, on, Mari usurps Asuka's position in this world.
Mari herself has no evil intention, but Asuka is overtaken.
It's not related to the main story, but if we insert a scene with Hikari's sisters in pyjamas or changing clothes, we can hope for the "economic result of the African Campaign in Gundam" (ガンダムのアフリカ戦線経済結果).

- Facility for the Preservation of Saltwater Sealife (Page 8 onwards)
Mari also comes along.
Hikari and Mari have already become intimate friends.
Hikari and Mari have made an O-bentou together, and so on.
Shinji has been wondering about Asuka and her desire to pilot Eva.
This is because he truly did not want to pilot Eva.

- The Falling Angel (Page 12 onwards)
The Asuka and Mari Synchro Test scene is inserted here. Mari's synchro rate is higher. As in the TV version, Asuka is on her period. (Despite absolutely not wanting children)
The operation to destroy the falling angel begins.
It is decided that Rei will pilot Unit-00, Shinji will pilot Unit-01, and Mari will pilot Unit-02.
Asuka is shocked.

- Rei and Asuka in the Elevator (advancing the scene on page 18)
Mari is present.
Rei comments on Asuka's low synchro rate.
Asuka becomes furious.

[Pages 4-5 excluded]

PAGE SIX

- Watermelon Field (Page 47)
The intense fight between the angel and Unit-00.
In a somewhat isolated place, so Shinji just stands and stares at the fight.
He stands in Kaji's watermelon field.
Mari arrives at the watermelon field.
Shinji and Mari meet and stare at one another.
In the background the battle between Unit-00 and the angel contines.
"Why don't you fight? Aside from you no one can do anything; only you can do something, right?"
"......."
"....... so, you got angry because Asuka was hurt? You're angry at the adults who sacrificed Asuka? You've just rebelled against the ways of adults? You've just rebelled against your father?"
"......"
"If you don't fight, everybody dies. In the end, both Asuka and Rei will die...."
Unit-00 battle scene. Rei engaging in a difficult battle.
"Even if Commander Ikari sacrificed Asuka, he did it to protect everyone... but you won't even do that?"
"......"
Suddenly Shinji pushes Mari to the ground. (Or she possibly collapses as a result of an explosion?) One [or more?] watermelon[s] bounce[s] and break[s] apart. The red juices stain both of their bodies.
"These are the watermelons Kaji was raising," Shinji mutters. "They were important to him. But I have no important memories or anything else important to me..."
Reflection insert (page 19 onwards).
Gendou: Human beings live on by forgetting their memories, but there are some things one must not erase.
"Just think about it..." Mari says. "Think about it a little. Maybe, right now, there's nothing important and worth protecting for you in this world. But..."
"! (Surprised Shinji)"
Mari now:
A) Kisses Shinji
B) [REDACTED]
C) [REDACTED]

[All pages after 6 excluded]
It makes me sick looking at the possible changes they were thinking of putting in there. It almost looked like they were throwing darts at a wall with their feet and hoping some would strike

Quote:
--- It was difficult, wasn't it? (laughs)

Enokido: Only, once we had cut a few scenes, naturally the next problem was the opposite one; owing to the cuts you could begin to see gaps detracting from the organization of the whole. As these gaps arose from cuts I had made, naturally I, as the person responsible, had to fix them. For example, while in the first half of the film Asuka appears as a character who strongly repels others, in the second half she becomes a little kinder, and develops into a character who is concerned with Shinji's feelings. This development is crucial, but I had a feeling that, due to my excessive cuts, the basis for this change became too thin. Trying to make up for that loss, I had the idea for a scene where Asuka, unable to bear her loneliness, enters, uninvited, the room of the sleeping Shinji. The scene used in the film was translated from the concept almost exactly. By inserting this scene, it seemed likely that something of a connection between the "first half" Asuka and the "second half" Asuka could be skillfully established.

Because I had broken off my journey aboard the TV series in the middle of the voyage, this time I had the privilege of boarding the "New Theatrical Edition" in the middle of the voyage, and I have the profound impression that Eva, [for me,] is finally connected by a single line. I had the privilege of a rare personal experience of which few other examples exist (smiles).
Wtf? The bed scene is supposed to replace the development for Asuka? The reason it makes no fucking sense is that there is no context for this scene in the first place.

Quote:
I'll start Higuchi by posting his comments on the famous Asuka "possession" storyboard. Of course, the same disclaimers apply as before regarding the translation: it's bound to have errors.

Here is the sketch included in the interview:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3976/higuchi1.jpg

"Asuka corroded by the ninth Angel. Rough sketch for the image board."

The Asuka/Kaworu dialogue in question is: KAWORU: This isn't like you. / ASUKA: It's not like me? / KAWORU: Because happiness doesn't suit you. / ASUKA: The happy me... is scary. So I'll return to the usual me.

"Mysteries of the Human Body": http://www.jintai.co.jp/index_top.html

----

Higuchi: When I watched the preview screening, it was [the Asuka possession scene] that shocked me the most. The scene was supposed to be cruel, with Asuka becoming "corroded" and losing her face, but the [final] treatment had become incredibly gentle.

--- In the first scenario, her fortune was to be pierced by a number of ultra-fine needles.

Higuchi: So it was like the image of a "hedgehog". The fact that the needles were directed towards the interior meant that Asuka was becoming intropunitive [self-punishing].

--- Therefore the scenario unfolds with Kaworu's address: "It's not like you." In Higuchi-san's storyboard, the detached skin also becomes a face and addresses [Asuka]. The horror resembles Kazuo Umezu's "Nikumen," but from what image did this "peeling off" come from?

Higuchi: The order was, "something like 'plastination.'"

--- That's used in "Mysteries of the Human Body." Dissected, three-dimensional objects made by pouring resin into donated bodies, right?

Higuchi: Right. Here, I was thinking only of something that people would hate. Up to then there had been a somewhat "poka-poka" mood. Thinking "this 'homeroom drama' is not Eva!", I wanted to confront [the audience] with something hateful. In actuality, from the point of view of the story, from that point on "hell" begins and that sort of happiness does not endure. "Eva" is really like this; that "poka-poka" atmosphere will descend into chaos! I put that sort of feeling of ill-will into my drawing.

When that sort of shocking thing didn't happen, I thought that the development by which the happiness that had [been portrayed] up to that point changes to tragedy probably wouldn't occur. As for the Asuka of "Break," it was a situation where the entire team was at odds. This being the case, I thought this [scene?] was an absolute "death flag." I thought about a cruelty worse than death, and this was the result.

--- I thought that this "'Nikumen' version" had been selected [to be used]. It was also used in Tsurumaki-san's storyboards, and during the recording sessions I have a memory of it being recorded.

Higuchi: As for when and how it was changed, I don't know, but probably the malice [I felt] when I drew the scene was too much for people to see up front.
At least they fucking admit it.

----------------

Anyhow I hope you enjoyed these scripts. I'll post more as translations come along. There's a lot of material.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake