AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-11-10, 21:52   Link #41
wao
OK.

Yeah, he has 3 different hair colours O_O;;; I've never read the book so I will not try to guess what's going on, but it looks interesting enough... I can see more of Miyazaki's character designs in Howl's character, compared to Spirited Away where we saw more of Masashi Ando's...
Not that I mind, I think Howl doesn't look that bad - somehow, he reminds me vaguely of Ashitaka (but then again, he seems to use the same eye design so Howl would remind me vaguely of most hero/heroines that Miyazaki has drawn...)

I was hoping to actually hear Takuya Kimura's voice in that trailer, I think I've never heard his voice before - or at least, I have but I don't recognize it or remember it...

Now let's all hope this comes to Singapore within a few months of its Japanese release. Please please please please....
Old 2004-11-10, 22:58   Link #42
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Yeah, he has 3 different hair colours O_O;;; I've never read the book so I will not try to guess what's going on, but it looks interesting enough... I can see more of Miyazaki's character designs in Howl's character, compared to Spirited Away where we saw more of Masashi Ando's...
Not that I mind, I think Howl doesn't look that bad - somehow, he reminds me vaguely of Ashitaka (but then again, he seems to use the same eye design so Howl would remind me vaguely of most hero/heroines that Miyazaki has drawn...)

I was hoping to actually hear Takuya Kimura's voice in that trailer, I think I've never heard his voice before - or at least, I have but I don't recognize it or remember it...

Now let's all hope this comes to Singapore within a few months of its Japanese release. Please please please please....
I wonder how big of a world-wide release it's going to get? However seeing as I managed to catch Spirited Away and The Cat Returns on the big screen I have high hopes of being able to watch Howl in a cinema!
I rather like how Diana Wynne Jones portrays her lead characters with some ambiguity, I wasn't sure initially if Howl was supposed to be a "good" guy and likewise Cat of one of the Chrestomanci books ~ or maybe I'm just a little slow Wonder how vain / evil^^ Howl's going to appear in the movie. Really looking forward to it, and gotta say at the risk of incurring kj1980's displeasure^^' that I'm kind of a fan of Takuya Kimura's, some of his earlier live-action works are great entertainment.
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 00:35   Link #43
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wow, that trailer was awesome! That movie is going to be just as jawdropping as every other ghibli film!! I just can't wait!
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 08:21   Link #44
Yuri

I actually liked what I saw from the trailer. :O Hmmm... I hope I can get to buy the dvd soon. Still, I didn't like Spirited Away (I couldn't connect to it and I found it kinda boring and predictable) so this might be the first Ghibli film I'd like.
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 14:47   Link #45
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
This is a movie where I would actually prefer to watch it in English rather than endure Kimura Takuya's some-higher-being awful voice acting as Howl.
Well good thing is Disney is doing the dubbing and Disney knows what the fuck they are doing when it comes to dubs. The only dubs I have ever enjoyed watching were the ones Disney did for the Miyazaki movies.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 15:27   Link #46
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, given their experience dubbing cartoons accurately, it's very easy to understand how they can do the Ghibli films so accurately. ^_^
Old 2004-11-15, 13:29   Link #47
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, I just got an interesting tidbit in my email today about this movie from one of my inside contacts. He got an odd chance to be able to sit in on the demo screening of the first 15 minutes of the movie and reported to me (as part of a followup to an earlier inquiery about the movie) that his impression of the movie was beyond words. To quote him "I sat there with mouth open and jaw planted firmly on the ground for the entire fifteen minutes that they showed us."

I'd say that bodes well for the movie itself.
Old 2004-11-21, 10:43   Link #48
enialeh
Ho hum, the dilly-O

I just saw Howl's Moving Castle. It was spectacular! The animation is sooooooo good. Miyazaki definately outdid himself. I bought the soundtrack because the orchestration was too cool. I can't wait until it comes out in North America so that I can see it again, but this time in english. I hope they don;t mess up on the dubbing...
enialeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 11:09   Link #49
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

How'd you see it already?? o_0

Did you see it in a theater in Japan?? Or by Raw?
Old 2004-11-21, 12:04   Link #50
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enialeh
The animation is sooooooo good.
Well that's all well and good, but how's the story?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 07:39   Link #51
enialeh
Ho hum, the dilly-O

Yes, I live in Japan. The story is good too. It is slightly different than the novel by Diana Wynn Jones and Miyazaki doesn't really make it seem like the prequel to Castle in the Sky (Or Castle in the Air), it stands on it's own. I really, really, really loved it, so much that I bought the soundtrack and other things. My favourite character is Calcifer (Karushifaa) He's hilarious.
enialeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 08:53   Link #52
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Looks like Miyazaki has done it again, Howl pulled in 1,400 million yen in 3 days, the highest ever opening for any Japanese movie ever ever.(Source)

My copy of the soundtrack arrived this morning, along with the OP and ED for Fantastic Children...I feel spoiled

Nausicaa.net has also put up a new trailer for Howl which aired over the weekend. Lots of new scenes to wet the appetite...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-22, 09:48   Link #53
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I held off comment until I saw the second trailer, but I definately wasn't disappointed by it. I seriously can't wait to see this movie stateside.
Old 2004-11-22, 18:41   Link #54
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
The second trailer isn't as good as the other one.

Castle in the Sky is Miyazaki's own movie it has no relation to Dianna's book Castle in the Air the plot lines are totally different.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2004-11-22 at 18:57.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 19:28   Link #55
Alkora

Quote:
Originally Posted by enialeh
I just saw Howl's Moving Castle. It was spectacular! The animation is sooooooo good. Miyazaki definately outdid himself. I bought the soundtrack because the orchestration was too cool. I can't wait until it comes out in North America so that I can see it again, but this time in english. I hope they don;t mess up on the dubbing...
Yes yes yes. I saw it and it was an Excellent movie. And to all you peeps who want to watch it in Japanese, the Japanese isn't hard at all (I think). Get your lazy butts off that couch and go see it! (Whenever it comes out where you live) I would go see it many a many times if I could. But, 15 dollars for a movie ticket is too much.... I'm just a poor student
Alkora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 08:41   Link #56
Egan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
The sequal to the book is: Castle in the Air
Maybe this is how they found out about Dianna's books because of the similar title. I'm a HUGE fan of Dianna's books they are so GREAT better than a certain POTHEAD. I can't wait to see the crazy scarecrow >.<
I've loved her books ever since I was little, and Howl's Moving Castle is probably my favourite- or atleast, I've read it the most (which is a lot) out of all of them, so I've got mixed feelings about the release.

I am looking forward to it, but at the same time it's going to be very strange. I have one of the trailers (and have just seen the other you posted) for it on my computer and some of the characters (and the castle(!) -what have they done with it?!) look very wrong to me, but I suppose that is to be expected.

Howl looks like he's been done to be quite tasty so that's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion
For those who never read it, it's about a girl who gets cursed with old age by a witch and ends up accepting a job as a servant for Howl, a magician who lives in a flying castle.
'ends up accepting a job'? She barges her way into his house and dives into cleaning very forcibly (and pretty much against their will/wishes!)! -Or atleast, that's how it is in the books, it's possibly something they've changed.

---

Wah! Having read this thread I'm getting increasingly excited. Hope I can get hold of it somehow soon!
Egan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 10:42   Link #57
wao
OK.

I believe the movie is not so much an adaptation, but using generally the same idea... I don't think it's following the book down to even medium levels of detail, but that doesn't stop it from being good

I absolutely must watch this film now, I want to go to Japan and watch it or something.... Ahhh!!
Old 2004-11-28, 19:20   Link #58
Alkora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Well good thing is Disney is doing the dubbing and Disney knows what the fuck they are doing when it comes to dubs. The only dubs I have ever enjoyed watching were the ones Disney did for the Miyazaki movies.
just my opinion, but Dubs ruin all anime. I would say the disney dubs were better than other animes, but at the same time, they don't have the same feeling that the original has, which I feel is doing a disservice to the creator.
Alkora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 19:57   Link #59
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

That all depends. I've seen the English dub of Spirited Away and the Japanese Dub and I honestly above all like the english dub better. Why? Not entirely sure, but it just seemed better and the voices seemed to fit the charecters better. I won't say that with 99% of animes, and maybe 5% of the english dubs that aren't up to snuff with the japanese dubs do at least come amazingly close I think, even if they are a hair short. In fact, I mentioned about one of those not too long back that I thought it was pretty much a dead heat between the english and japanese dubs. I'll hold off my opinion on what the english dub will sound like compared to the japanese dub on this movie until after I've heard both, but knowing disney, they're sure to do a pretty decent job with it.
Old 2004-12-09, 20:58   Link #60
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkora
just my opinion, but Dubs ruin all anime. I would say the disney dubs were better than other animes, but at the same time, they don't have the same feeling that the original has, which I feel is doing a disservice to the creator.

I'm with you I think it takes away from it

Egan1- Ya I knoiw what you mean some of the changes aren't as good as they should be
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli