AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-24, 04:50   Link #641
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

What are you people talking about!? This is the first episode! We are not going to be watching battles, etc in the first episode!

Its a 21 episode work, we have 20 more episodes and people are whining about the lack of pace? They have to work on the introduction of the characters, etc.

I don't even know how you people got through Clannad, Dragon Ball, etc...

Niker

EDIT: And the OP is pretty nice. KyoAni really does wonderful animation (Flips table at JC doing Little Busters! and not KyoAni)

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact

Last edited by Arturia Polaris; 2012-04-24 at 04:51. Reason: Added OP
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 05:02   Link #642
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Slow down guys, if I could name one anime that had people bitching on its first episode, it would be Jormungand, where guys were bitching about CGs AND use of stills as if it was an unforgivable crime in 2012 (especially that one blogger I shall not name). But Jormungand HOOKED watchers with its character cast and its running theme.

I said I liked this first episode and I reminded that it's too bad it is airing when there are already big boys in this season. However, I am still giving this show a chance to grow on me, and perhaps find out what's the hook of it.
Old 2012-04-24, 06:43   Link #643
Arya

Wow, after having watched Hyou-Ka's PV I came to this with no expectations. I mean, th PV was the most uncharming thing of the season (being gentle). Then I read a bit of the judgments here.
But even with this and my low expectations, the best thing I could say is that this episode reflected perfectly the PV. And I can't say either that I'm a fan of Kyoani's works, because I'm not, so it's not like I'm comparing it with some previous works.
So ... it was simply boring. And I sort of liked the characters so far. Surely Futabe spoke too much leaving little room for the other two. Basically there were no real interaction between the characters because of Futabe. Typical problem when dealing with long-winded people. Right, I got this overall feeling from the episode, as I was talking (not really) with a long-winded person.
I hope it isn't going to really focus on the mystery and/or being episodic.
Really, they chose the worst season to throw this in. I was already having problem to follow all the series I like and Hyou-Ka's not pushing me to change my agenda .

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 07:44   Link #644
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
You should not compare Fate/Zero and Lupin III animation to this, I'm sorry but that's just ignorant. I like both show more than this show premiere, but both show using 'satsuei' (photography) more than actual animation on its visual, by photography its means there's a lot shot to the face or high part to reduce the animation and trying to make still shot looks pretty despite lack of animation, Hyouka's animation is not like that. Although Hyouka do look like satsuei anime here n there, typical Kyoani that love their sexy background.
Yep, don't really know how anyone can hate on the animation level for this show, it's a tour de force @ the moment.... I can see problems with the art but animation.. c'mon son. As for the show itself... well that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
They're missing that one particular expression that Shaft adores though, the one where the character has their head cocked with mouth wide open in a smug sort of grin or as I now call it, the Shaft Face.
It's Shaft Head Tilt.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 09:59   Link #645
arkxkra
全力全開

quite like the show after watching the episode.
Old 2012-04-24, 13:16   Link #646
billborden

I actually like the "Aria" comparison for this show; another one might be to the manga "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou". Not for similarities in content or story, but in mood. Life is hectic enough, it's nice to haver a "let's just sit down and watch life go by" show every now and then. That being as it is, I get the sense that Hyou-Ka will pick-up the pace before long.

The real problem with all the Haruhi comparisons is that every show that includes a energetic female and a relaxed/laze male is immediately compared to / decried as a knock off of Haruhi. Honestly, except for a few external similarities, they're not really all that similar.

Oreki joins the Classics Club initially because of his sister, and stays pretty much of his own free will (plus, who could say no to that smile). Kyon, whatever we think of his inner reasons, is initially brow-beaten--almost literally-- into the SOS-Dan by Haruhi herself and carried along solely by her force of will. And, lets be honest, Oreki doesn't have any of Kyon's snark. Hell, that's part of the reason I like Oreki; Kyon annoyed the s___ out of me on first introduction and pretty much maintained that level of annoyance throughout the series. If I were to make any comparisons, it would be to Kanon's Yuuicihi.

While I'll admit we have not seen much of Chitanda yet, she bears no resemblance to Haruhi, unless you see all energetic high school girls as Haruhi-esque. She certainly has not demonstrated the arrogant self-centeredness, nor the high-handed, damn everybody else nature of Haruhi. If anything, from what we have seen--if she really is from one of the most influential families in the area--she demonstrates a definite lack of the self-centeredness her status gives her.

Satoshi has no real analog in either Itsuki or Yuki.

Give the show a chance to stand on it's own, you might like it.
Old 2012-04-24, 14:18   Link #647
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Remind me to not recommend ARIA to some of you people. "Slice of Life" anime are not supposed to be adrenline-pumped, and anybody who thinks otherwise is just setting themselves up for disappointment. If you want to watch an anime that makes you want to chop bricks and wrestle lions afterwards, fine, but not all anime are like that.

Sometimes, just sometimes, a person wants to snuggle in, enjoy a drink, and watch a relaxing episode.

Natch.
I'm a humongous ARIA fan (and slice of life in general) fan and I still found Hyouka boring. Please don't give people the wrong idea and put them off a wonderful series like ARIA. You can definitely love one of these two shows and hate the other. Not that I hate Hyouka, I just found it dull and soulless. The oh so important little spark was simply not there. Hopefully, it will appear later.

I believe the main reason so many people including me were disappointed is that they simply did not know what to expect. Or rather, had mistaken expectations. I for one was expecting a mystery (since, you know, every single site claimed this is what it was) with slice of life elements, I got slice of life with terrible mystery elements. You'd almost think the synopsis for the series is wrong.

Now I realize this is only the first episode, so it's still too early to dismiss this series. That doesn't mean we can't express our disappointment over this first episode though. If the following episodes raise the bar, then everything will be alright.
Old 2012-04-24, 14:37   Link #648
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm a humongous ARIA fan (and slice of life in general) fan and I still found Hyouka boring. Please don't give people the wrong idea and put them off a wonderful series like ARIA. You can definitely love one of these two shows and hate the other. Not that I hate Hyouka, I just found it dull and soulless. The oh so important little spark was simply not there. Hopefully, it will appear later.

I believe the main reason so many people including me were disappointed is that they simply did not know what to expect. Or rather, had mistaken expectations. I for one was expecting a mystery (since, you know, every single site claimed this is what it was) with slice of life elements, I got slice of life with terrible mystery elements. You'd almost think the synopsis for the series is wrong.

Now I realize this is only the first episode, so it's still too early to dismiss this series. That doesn't mean we can't express our disappointment over this first episode though. If the following episodes raise the bar, then everything will be alright.
I do not know which sites you frequent, but from what I recalled in the beginning, when it was announced that this was going to be animated, they described the novel as being a story about growing pains. The mysteries being flavour, but not the main point of the novels. I believe this was from an interview with Gatoh, who is writing the script for this anime.

If people were expecting something like K-On, Lucky Star, or Haruhi... well, I personally say they only got themselves to blame for their disappointment. From the summary alone I already knew that this had a high likelihood of being a low-key setting. It would have been... silly of me to expect something high-octane.

Furthermore, if people had bothered to analyse the OP, it would have revealed what kind of tone the anime was going for. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the translated lyrics and found out it was quite literally what I felt the OP was about, right down to the phrase "Dark and Light" even.

That said, time and further episodes will tell where this anime will go.

Cheers.
Old 2012-04-24, 14:55   Link #649
com_gwp

Aria comparisions aren't quite apt. If I were to propose a better analogy, this show feels very similar to the Bungaku Shoujo movie. Not just in atmosphere, but in storytelling and the characters as well.

Bungaku Shoujo, while first and foremost a character drama, had mystery elements integrated into its storytelling. Which seems to be the case for Hyouka as well, judging from the first episode. It remains to be seen if the "mystery" part of hyouka will remain as it is, a episodic hook/plot device much like the music in K-ON, or if it will be integrated more with the plot.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:12   Link #650
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
Its a 21 episode work, we have 20 more episodes and people are whining about the lack of pace? They have to work on the introduction of the characters, etc.

I don't even know how you people got through Clannad, Dragon Ball, etc...
It's all about a hook. With slice of life shows, many viewers still expect some story-oriented reason to keep watching, whether it's a hint of character conflict, romantic tension, or underlying mystery. Sometimes a fantastical setting, some manic energy, or an abundance of quirky characters might do the trick.

Hyouka Ep. 1 offered little of the above. Rather, its sole purpose was to introduce three (relatively ordinary) characters and reveal a bit about how they think and get along.

I enjoyed the episode a lot, thanks to its outstanding technical qualities. The character introductions were good enough for me. Nevertheless, most viewers probably expect more from a premiere when most shows provide a hook from the get-go.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:25   Link #651
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was no ED this episode as it took longer to tell the story than to show an ED with song.

Interesting that I think the "hook" for K-On was the first ED with "Don't Say Lazy".

We'll see what changes when they get their fourth member.

Also recall that the cast in this show is huge and we've only effectively seen three people.
Old 2012-04-24, 16:28   Link #652
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I do not know which sites you frequent, but from what I recalled in the beginning, when it was announced that this was going to be animated, they described the novel as being a story about growing pains. The mysteries being flavour, but not the main point of the novels. I believe this was from an interview with Gatoh, who is writing the script for this anime.

If people were expecting something like K-On, Lucky Star, or Haruhi... well, I personally say they only got themselves to blame for their disappointment. From the summary alone I already knew that this had a high likelihood of being a low-key setting. It would have been... silly of me to expect something high-octane.

Furthermore, if people had bothered to analyse the OP, it would have revealed what kind of tone the anime was going for. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the translated lyrics and found out it was quite literally what I felt the OP was about, right down to the phrase "Dark and Light" even.

That said, time and further episodes will tell where this anime will go.

Cheers.
Now, now, first off, I doubt anyone was expecting a horror thriller such as Another or Higurashi or whatever. Most of us could easily read the mood of the trailer, as weak as it was. Secondly, despite not having seen Aria and not knowing of the animation quality, those character designs are gorgeous and the very least there's that I would like immediately better. It's certainly true that I like the faster pace anime but it's not like I am unable to deal with anime where little to nothing happens in every episode. Certainly Usagi Drop and Wandering Son didn't go at any flying pace, and my problems with the later actually was that it was going too fast. Kemono no Soujia Erin had very little happen for the very first few episodes and it never felt like it ever became unengaging (except stock footage ). Yes there were wham episodes and it picks up near the end, but the overall feeling of the series is very slice-of-life like.

But in any case, those gave off an extremely relaxing mood free from overly dramatic overtones that let you kick back and enjoy the show. Hyouka I can't say the same for.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:51   Link #653
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Well this first episode felt like a solid highschool slice of life to me. I can see why people are complaining, but personally I think that most of these negative reactions about the slow pacing of this show is slightly exaggerated. For me the slower pacing fits with the relaxing atmosphere.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:54   Link #654
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

And here I thought that K-On! Was such a big hit with people

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 18:33   Link #655
Eragon
Still Alive

To start off this episode was..............disappointing. It was nothing different from a horde of other shows in this genre I've seen.
The characters feel like they have been picked from Clannad, and down graded. Chitanda was rather annoying. I'm just too tired of characters like that.
I can't say anything about the plot from the first episode - so, that is the only redeeming factor left. For now its, "the disinterested guy with his comedic friend meets the pretty and energetic girl that changes his life." meh....................I've seen it too many times to care now.

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-04-24 at 19:12. Reason: Rule 4.4
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:16   Link #656
LC
Shocking Pink

Man, I have never seen a show to get such hate everywhere on the web. It's even more ridiculous considering the fact that it's at worst, boring. However, it's not overly-cliche or pandering. It has great animation and voice acting. If this were by any other studio, would it be getting such a vehemently hateful response by some people? tl;dr LEAVE HYOUKA ALONE!!1!!!

From the first episode, this doesn't seem like the type of the show that would have such a large cast. It'll be interesting to see how the story will go from here, since I'm getting the idea from novel readers that there's not a huge overarching mystery. Is it more like a revolving door of characters..? "I can't stop thinking about it!"
Old 2012-04-24, 20:22   Link #657
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is about the same reaction Nichijou got.
Old 2012-04-24, 20:30   Link #658
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is about the same reaction Nichijou got.
Thinking back on it, you're right. Still, Nichijou is so polarizing, I can understand the backlash more.

EDIT: I don't hate Nichijou; in fact, I think it was hilarious. However, many don't like "wacky, random" humor. Plus, the art style was a major departure from typical KyoAni style. That's why I see it as being more of a "split-reaction" show than Hyouka.

Last edited by LC; 2012-04-24 at 21:04.
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:41   Link #659
ponyo

How could you hate nichijou its so cute.

This was just boring.
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 21:22   Link #660
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hrm ... I must admit that I did not think it was boring at all - I rather liked the quiet pace of the first ep combined with the absolutely gorgeous visuals and the BGM. The OP is also quite nice.

To be honest I was not expecting anything "exciting" or "dramatic" - what I was expecting was something very close to what the first ep gave.

But let's face it ... it is only the first ep, and the first ep of 22 eps. Give it a chance!

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life