AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-23, 13:41   Link #101
Zeriand
Banned

From what I've read and notes from the author, he has not confirmed any connections between SAO and Accel World. The only time they ever intersected was during Versus, and it was speculated by SAO scientists that they were connected to an alternate universe, or confirmed. An alternate universe.

I'd understand if you said that the worlds are tens of years apart - it's still an acceptable enough theory - but to forcefully link Kirito/Asuna to KYH at the assumption that they were parent/child is rather... forceful.

For one, Kirito/Asuna already have Yui. Sure,

Spoiler for Yui's true identity:

but that already creates a hole in the above theory. Where has Yui gone? In fact, where has all of the SAO characters gone - there's at least ten to twenty of them, and Kirito has a shit load of harem going on with him too - they were pretty famous as some of them are SAO victims, and to have not a single mention about any of them in Accel World when the two worlds are supposedly connected is... weird at best.

Suppose that they were gone because of a terrible incident, then the author must have at least mention of a 'certain incident' tens of years ago in the novel, but that never happened. Suppose that it was covered up. Haru might seem the type who 'doesn't want to dig his nose into someone else's privacy', but his friend Cyan Pike isn't, and at one point of time Cyan Pike had wanted to kill KYH, so he must've at least investigated about her past during or after that time. But the results are nil, and so far not a light has been shed on KYH's past.

In fact, we have to consider that no matter how shitty KYH and White Cosmos are in the past, Kirito and Asuna are not the kind of person to just let their kids live randomly on their own without any contact. We have to assume then that something has happened to them, or they're dead. That leaves 2 options: Either Accel World is about the epic story of saving SAO's protagonist who're KYH's parents - which would suck btw, this is a good enough novel to stand on its own without tying in MCs from another novel - or the dead end, which would make SAO a completely tragic story since it'll ultimately end with Kirito and Asuna's death (and maybe even other SAO characters), and since they're dead they probably won't even get much mention in Accel World except maybe a few chapters, with KYH's past still the main priority and not them. Which would suck honestly, but it does make good drama. Depends on whether the author is a sadist, I suppose.

There are also many circumstantial evidences that can be used - for example, in SAO Volume 10 Alicization Running, where the concept AI was heavily discussed, though I won't say a thing here since it's heavy spoilers - to contradict that the 2 worlds were connected to each other in any way at all, because there were several events and phenomenons that - if the two worlds are really just twenty years apart - SHOULD have happened, but did not. But in the end, these are all just speculations.
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 17:00   Link #102
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
In fact, we have to consider that no matter how shitty KYH and White Cosmos are in the past, Kirito and Asuna are not the kind of person to just let their kids live randomly on their own without any contact. We have to assume then that something has happened to them, or they're dead. That leaves 2 options: Either Accel World is about the epic story of saving SAO's protagonist who're KYH's parents - which would suck btw, this is a good enough novel to stand on its own without tying in MCs from another novel - or the dead end, which would make SAO a completely tragic story since it'll ultimately end with Kirito and Asuna's death (and maybe even other SAO characters), and since they're dead they probably won't even get much mention in Accel World except maybe a few chapters, with KYH's past still the main priority and not them. Which would suck honestly, but it does make good drama. Depends on whether the author is a sadist, I suppose.
This. This is my main problem with that theory.

Anyway, some peeps have been spreading rumours that Kirito lost his memories after creating the Accelerated World..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 17:09   Link #103
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

We could also turn that whole dead theory around and say...

Spoiler for Alicization:

But to be honest I just like the possibility of the two series being chronological. I can do away with the whole KYH = KiriAsu daughter stuff if its so contentious.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 21:12   Link #104
n120cky

Quote:
For one, Kirito/Asuna already have Yui. Sure,

Spoiler for Yui's true identity:

Well Kirito/Asuna can have other children(it should not be KHY) and they will love both Yui and their child, but what tickles me is that will the other child call yui one-chan .

Quote:
but that already creates a hole in the above theory. Where has Yui gone? In fact, where has all of the SAO characters gone - there's at least ten to twenty of them, and Kirito has a shit load of harem going on with him too - they were pretty famous as some of them are SAO victims, and to have not a single mention about any of them in Accel World when the two worlds are supposedly connected is... weird at best.
Yes this still hard think to explain, but I bet is it the author way to focus on the Accel world story and still not sure how to connect SOA and AW.

Quote:
I'd understand if you said that the worlds are tens of years apart - it's still an acceptable enough theory - but to forcefully link Kirito/Asuna to KYH at the assumption that they were parent/child is rather... forceful.
That's why I said before Kirito/Asuna child should not be KHY&WC, the biggest possibility for connecting them to Kirito/Asuna is KHY&WC are . . .

Spoiler for Family relation:
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 01:44   Link #105
DeathStare

Well, i have been reading through all of this and i just have one question, could it just possibly be that the creator of Brain Burst the game or accel world is kirito? i mean before SAO started you can see he is a natural geek that was very well informed with the technology and a lot of his references lead me to believe he tried to recreate something that he loved from his childhood and perhaps tried to create a world like AW to co-exist with the real world

this is just my opinion since everyone is dying to meet the creator of the game
DeathStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 05:47   Link #106
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStare View Post
could it just possibly be that the creator of Brain Burst the game or accel world is kirito
An interesting idea but...

I'm not entirely sure he fits the profile, when you consider that this is software that can only be used by small children at the time it's first created. Kirito seems rather more self-aware than that, or at very least unlikely to be the sort to walk down exactly the same path as Kayaba. I don't discount him somehow being involved somewhere along the line, though.
Old 2012-09-25, 14:15   Link #107
DeathStare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
An interesting idea but...

I'm not entirely sure he fits the profile, when you consider that this is software that can only be used by small children at the time it's first created. Kirito seems rather more self-aware than that, or at very least unlikely to be the sort to walk down exactly the same path as Kayaba. I don't discount him somehow being involved somewhere along the line, though.
Well he isn't doing the same as Kayaba, because Kayaba was trying to control people and separate them from the real world and SOA is basically disconnected from the world, Kirito always liked the idea of a game that everyone can do together but that's why i said i think he created AW because its not a game that separates people from the world but its more like another world that works along side of the real world, a faster world
Old 2012-09-25, 22:48   Link #108
GundamZZ
残念美人

Kayaba's game is different. In SAO, players are dying because their bodies are weakening.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 00:00   Link #109
DeathStare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
Kayaba's game is different. In SAO, players are dying because their bodies are weakening.
thats what i mean, the games have different intentions
Old 2012-09-26, 00:42   Link #110
GundamZZ
残念美人

If Kirito(or not) is involved, it's sad he's not interfering online bully and offline bully. Noumi's brother made threat to Noumi, so Noumi had to earn points for his brother. Some people are not interest in the game. They just want to rip the benefit from App, the side benefit of the game. If Kirito's involved, what's the role for Asuna? Don't they want to introduce the special combo attack for couples?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 01:03   Link #111
DeathStare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
If Kirito(or not) is involved, it's sad he's not interfering online bully and offline bully. Noumi's brother made threat to Noumi, so Noumi had to earn points for his brother. Some people are not interest in the game. They just want to rip the benefit from App, the side benefit of the game. If Kirito's involved, what's the role for Asuna? Don't they want to introduce the special combo attack for couples?

Images
why would she have to be involved? she was never much of a geek like kirito was before SAO started. Just because one of them is connected it doesnt mean that the other does too, and if she is? who knows, maybe theres something we dont know about just yet. Who knows, if Graphite Edge is their child then his trauma was his mothers death

Last edited by DeathStare; 2012-09-26 at 02:29.
Old 2012-09-26, 10:27   Link #112
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStare View Post
why would she have to be involved? she was never much of a geek like kirito was before SAO started. Just because one of them is connected it doesnt mean that the other does too, and if she is? who knows, maybe theres something we dont know about just yet. Who knows, if Graphite Edge is their child then his trauma was his mothers death
If he IS their child, considering Graphite Edge's gimmick, it's more likely his trauma is:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-09-26, 19:54   Link #113
DeathStare

well if you want to go down that path, if his mother really died he may be traumatized that maybe if he was more like his father he wouldve been able to save his mother? idk, and for that reason he is constantly trying to catch up to his father who if it is kirito then we all know that he is one hell of a swordsman and goes with the color black often
Old 2012-10-02, 17:57   Link #114
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just read a review for AW and SAO from Kotaku by the same guy and it brought up an old point I can't help but continue to revisit, and that is that I'll never understand why when it comes to comparisons between SAO and AW in retrospectives how Accel World regularly gets lambasted and relegated for having a weaker second half (god forbid if that's it's greatest shortcoming) than the first while Sword Art Online more or less gets away with having some extremely weak and poorly fit in side story based episodes strewn throughout it's run so far and yet it's held up at the moment as this amazing, masterful, smart, thoughtful and sharply adapted anime that's at the tip top of it's game, while it's IMO glaring if non-fatal issues are just conveniently overlooked for the most part by pundits. Not trying to hate on SAO here but to me it's problems as an anime adaptation and overall story are regularly way more glaring and problematic to my enjoyment of it than AW's yet AW's comparatively meagre shortcomings get held against it that much more wherever I go. Is hype really that powerful a tool for overcoming harsher criticism cause that's what this continues to look like here to me?

Honestly the biggest issue with the Noumi arc the way I saw it was that it spans 2 novels and is drawn out in comparison to the prior two which lasted one novel a piece since it's supposed to be the first major expansion of the scope of the story. It's unfortunate that the manner in which they were adapting the show had to result in the Noumi arc taking up the entire second cour and that that was the one it ended it's run on. Really what is held to be AW's greatest weakness is a direct result of it being too faithful and dedicated an adaptation, while to me SAO has the opposite approach. Just get through things as fast as possible and try to cover as much novel content as can be covered in 25 episodes and only really bring out the top notch direction, pacing and writing for the most popular and key parts of the novel. Also notable is that when Accel World had it's first side story arc I didn't even know it and was shocked to find out that Aqua Current was from volume 10, whereas every time SAO enters a side story arc I know it within the first 10 minutes of an episode just based on how much more lackluster the script and pacing comes across.

Again not trying to hate on SAO, but I'm growing tired of seeing AW compared unfavourably to SAO in aspects where I think it actually does way better when you step back to really examine things as they actually are in the adaptation without the hype goggles on. It's really not that justifiable.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 19:30   Link #115
n120cky

This is more likely in anime adaptation a sequel is tend to get negative opinion than the prequel, I won't be discussing it, I'll be focus on AW and SAO.

Basically AW suffer for becoming a sequel from SOA, I don't know if it's related but they air AW first and then SAO come following, maybe it's their strategy to overcome that myth above. A good example for this would be Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero. Fate Stay Night would be get a negative opinion if it's compared to Fate Zero in assumption Fate Zero aired first.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 09:05   Link #116
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by n120cky View Post
This is more likely in anime adaptation a sequel is tend to get negative opinion than the prequel, I won't be discussing it, I'll be focus on AW and SAO.

Basically AW suffer for becoming a sequel from SOA, I don't know if it's related but they air AW first and then SAO come following, maybe it's their strategy to overcome that myth above. A good example for this would be Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero. Fate Stay Night would be get a negative opinion if it's compared to Fate Zero in assumption Fate Zero aired first.
Huh, the author has not confirmed that AW and SAO are on the same timeline. AW is most likely paying homage to SAO.
Old 2012-10-04, 18:29   Link #117
Sasukeuzi

or it's more like Accel World is in an alternate reality related to SAO. I also read the Crossover Story with SAO and Accel World. they kind of explained Accel World being an alternate reality, but saying it's in the future still makes sense. I'm more on the side of the alternate reality. (Haruyuki vs Kirito was badass btw). The story spoils a bit on the SAO side but still doesnt hurt to read honestly.
Sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 01:02   Link #118
helix69

I think they must be in the same world.
Spoiler for Possible Small Spoiler:
helix69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 09:32   Link #119
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Huh, the author has not confirmed that AW and SAO are on the same timeline. AW is most likely paying homage to SAO.
While this is true, we have to look at the Author's background:

Originally, he wrote SAO to submit to a japanese LN competition... this didn't work out because SAO ended up being so long and Japanese literary competitions are very strict on page limits (120 pages I believe it was?). so he ends up publishing SAO online and decides to more or less say "F- it, I like this story, and I want to keep writing it to see how it all pans out".

Come several years later, SAO's online publication ends up being pretty popular, and the author decides to give the same competition another chance. because it would be PAINFUL to try to edit down SAO to fit the page limit, he decides to write an ALTERNATIVE story more or less based on the same premises. that story turned out to be AW and it won the grand prize. Banzai!!!

How this this information all work out? well, to write a compelling story, sufficient background information needs to be established. Rather than explaining it like he did in SAO, I think the author was able to condense most of that information in AW because he already have most of it worked out in SAO. in a sense, regardless of whether the author decides if SAO and AW are in the save universe or not, they already are in the same world in spirit.

As for the timeline for Kirito/Asuna to be KYH's parents, SAO started in 2025, and AW something like 2042? the timeline does work out... though there's definitely a lot of things that have not being worked out... KYH does have the right personality, and fighting Kirito in the crossover did remind Haru of KYH...

Normally, I would say that due to time line issues, it would be likely that the author decides to reveal some direct relationship between the two stories as the SAO timeline continues (as it'll eventually overlap with the beginning of AW, and we're already seeing VR technology in that world move toward AW's neurolinker). However, Due to the accleration of Underworld in Alicization, the SAO timeline's essentially frozen, so who knows? at the end of the day, we can only speculate
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-11, 11:39   Link #120
Ray
Garnet

^I can't say I agree with that logic, but...
Spoilers
Spoiler for Accel World Volume 12 spoilers
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote