AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Old 2008-01-17, 00:05   Link #181
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Waterstones are okay when they have their 3 for 2 offers on, otherwise they're a bit expensive, since they don't offer the discounts other places do.

The best place to buy manga in the UK is from The Book Depository Discounts are pretty good.

Using xris's Prince of Tennis above

Prince of Tennis vol1 - £3.69 + free deliovery anywhere in the world.

Even ordering stuff from the states only takes a few days. I rodered 2 manga recently that were being imported from the US and it still only took 4 days for me to get them. Also, since your buying from a UK company, you dont get import duties or handling charges

My first order with them was for over £500 of imports, and no import or handling charges
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 14:36   Link #182
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

i don't like waterstone,
waterstone is a giant store of book which is extremely confusing if you are not used to it,and i bought only a dictorary in here (sheffield)

they surely have onepiece and naruto ,pita-ten,vampire ? plus a few of the old series alone with the comic just next to manga

anyway,i toke order 3 days ago and hopefully thing will work out,
but for free shipping delivery ,the estimate time will be ?15-20 day .w. i might remembers it wrong)
ps:2/4 manga,0/3 book ready instock 3 day...

...i will try to reports it after all my item arrive...hopefully some other people might get an ideas of the introduction to shop oversea
chison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 20:28   Link #183
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

waterstone offer free delivery to your local store, use that it's quicker. Also it's upto each stores manager to decide how much apce is allocated to manga. Some stores givbe it more, others less. It all depends on how popular it is in the local area.

My local only gives it a small amount of space, but they stock a lot of manga. Personally i'm mobing more and more over to the book depository, saves me money
Old 2008-01-20, 21:45   Link #184
Sakuya
*Artist

I'm trying to hunt down the Vampire Princess Miyu manga in Japanese which was discontinued in the US. I was wondering if any of you have purchased using Amazon Japan before and could offer some advice?

I found the manga there and their used versions are as low as 1 yen! However, I do not know if buying it used will allow shipping internationally to me in Hawaii, USA. And plus, how exactly does buying in yen work if I pay with a US credit card?

Edit:
Also, if I have an Amazon US account, can I use the account on Amazon Japan as well?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 16:26   Link #185
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I'm trying to hunt down the Vampire Princess Miyu manga in Japanese which was discontinued in the US. I was wondering if any of you have purchased using Amazon Japan before and could offer some advice?

I found the manga there and their used versions are as low as 1 yen! However, I do not know if buying it used will allow shipping internationally to me in Hawaii, USA. And plus, how exactly does buying in yen work if I pay with a US credit card?

Edit:
Also, if I have an Amazon US account, can I use the account on Amazon Japan as well?
I think you may need a new account but i am from the UK so i am not sure if your US account may work, also about the shipping i translated a page of a random manga and in about 20 items i looked in the shipping said "sorry can't ship outside japan" so maybe getting it shipped at all may be hard.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 15:37   Link #186
EvaForever

Is The Akira Manga out of print? Thanks.
EvaForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 23:52   Link #187
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
I think you may need a new account but i am from the UK so i am not sure if your US account may work, also about the shipping i translated a page of a random manga and in about 20 items i looked in the shipping said "sorry can't ship outside japan" so maybe getting it shipped at all may be hard.
You need to use an intermidatory firm to purxhase stuff. Check out theAria animation thread, there's links to a few in there
Old 2008-01-24, 19:42   Link #188
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

does anyone know what does "Trade Paperback" means? I looked through it and it means a reprint of the series in one volume. I don't really get the meaning of it.

For example, I'm planning to get the manga Oh My Goddess, but there seems to be a non-Trade Paperback volume and a Trade Paperback volume for volume #1.

heres the link to the books: http://www.darkhorse.com/books/title.php

so heres my question: whats the difference between the two?
Shikimori Kazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 19:49   Link #189
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
does anyone know what does "Trade Paperback" means? I looked through it and it means a reprint of the series in one volume. I don't really get the meaning of it.

For example, I'm planning to get the manga Oh My Goddess, but there seems to be a non-Trade Paperback volume and a Trade Paperback volume for volume #1.

heres the link to the books: http://www.darkhorse.com/books/title.php

so heres my question: whats the difference between the two?
In American comics, a "trade paperback" is a collection into one book (usually a single story arc) of what were originally released as separate "single chapter" staple-bound comic books; for manga, a manga volume == a "trade paperback"

As a side note, IIRC "trade paperbacks" were created partly so "comic books" could get sold in regular book stores (and hopefully reach new readers)

Edit: I think one of those (the non-TPB one) is a *text* OMG novel

Last edited by Robotnik; 2008-01-24 at 19:52. Reason: added detail
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 20:21   Link #190
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
In American comics, a "trade paperback" is a collection into one book (usually a single story arc) of what were originally released as separate "single chapter" staple-bound comic books; for manga, a manga volume == a "trade paperback"

As a side note, IIRC "trade paperbacks" were created partly so "comic books" could get sold in regular book stores (and hopefully reach new readers)

Edit: I think one of those (the non-TPB one) is a *text* OMG novel
What if I buy a vol.25 of Oh my Goddess which is a "trade paperbacks" and i buy a volume of Oh My Goddess which is not a "trade paperbacks" . Would the story continue from volume 26? I just notice it in Darkhorse's website that volume 25 has a (TBP) beside its name while volume 26 doesn't.
Old 2008-01-24, 21:35   Link #191
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
What if I buy a vol.25 of Oh my Goddess which is a "trade paperbacks" and i buy a volume of Oh My Goddess which is not a "trade paperbacks" . Would the story continue from volume 26? I just notice it in Darkhorse's website that volume 25 has a (TBP) beside its name while volume 26 doesn't.
Should be fine; clicking into the description of those individual volumes, it says:

Volume 26
Format: b&w, 176 pages, TPB, 5 1/8" x 7 3/16"

Volume 27
Format: b&w, 176 pages, TPB, 5 x 7

so them leaving off "trade paperback" in the listing might just be a typo; I could be wrong, but I don't believe it refers to a particular page/book size - I've seen the smaller Tokyopop-size books called trade paperbacks as well...
Old 2008-01-24, 22:32   Link #192
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
Should be fine; clicking into the description of those individual volumes, it says:

Volume 26
Format: b&w, 176 pages, TPB, 5 1/8" x 7 3/16"

Volume 27
Format: b&w, 176 pages, TPB, 5 x 7

so them leaving off "trade paperback" in the listing might just be a typo; I could be wrong, but I don't believe it refers to a particular page/book size - I've seen the smaller Tokyopop-size books called trade paperbacks as well...
Ah ok, I got it. You mentioned volume 26 & 27 but I assume you meant it to be 25 & 26 but I get what you mean, they both have the same # of pages but paper size is a bit different. Now I just need time to make a trip to downtown and see if they have the volumes I want to get.

Thank you very much for your help
Old 2008-02-06, 23:53   Link #193
Vicfred
free software enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Vicfred Send a message via Yahoo to Vicfred
I'm looking for a store to make japanese books special requests that accepts paypal and international shipping, thanks in advance
Vicfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 07:32   Link #194
Kouji
StrykerX

Also, I while going around in Manila, the Philippines. My family came across this bookstore. Called; National Bookstore which were in several malls we've visited (Mall of Asia, Festival Mall, Glorietta etc...). It's similar to Borders in the states.

They even had mangas I haven't heard of.
- Super Yoyo (sports anime, dealing in the yoyo genre)
- Crush Gear (dueling sports, characters use these pint sized/minature odd designed cars in combat)

Which both received anime airtimes.
Old 2008-02-20, 01:50   Link #195
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Where can I get a subscription to a graphic novel - like the next 12 issues?
Tokyopop's website is set up so that you could pre-order the remainder of the series (or most of it). B&N also lets you get a little ahead (a book or two).

Right now (unlike comic books) I don't know of anyone that automates the subscription to a manga series -- that would actually be a nice service.

Last edited by xris; 2008-03-07 at 04:11. Reason: Spam post has been deleted, so quote has been edited
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 04:29   Link #196
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Tokyopop's website is set up so that you could pre-order the remainder of the series (or most of it). B&N also lets you get a little ahead (a book or two).

Right now (unlike comic books) I don't know of anyone that automates the subscription to a manga series -- that would actually be a nice service.
I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing, but it looks like Lone Star Comics allows you to set up an "automatically preorder the next volume of whatever I ordered last time" type of subscription, so I suppose it would work with manga; Dreamland Comics Online seems to offer a similar service, as does Mile High Comics but in less-automated ways. Note that I haven't *tried* any of them, I'm just pointing out their availability.

Last edited by xris; 2008-03-07 at 04:10. Reason: URL remoed since it appears to be spam
Old 2008-02-23, 10:17   Link #197
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

I know about "Waterstones" and "Up1" in the UK but they don't have many new anime in manga form.

* Japan (don't mind about language)
* Big selection of new manga like (Minami-ke,Kimiaru,To Love-Ru etc...)
* Cheap as possible on posting and hopefully good stock

I just want to buy new manga which are not Naruto or Love Hina or other older titles which are only available in the UK, Thanks.
Old 2008-02-24, 16:40   Link #198
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

here are almost a full report oveasea shipping at yesasia

order1(8item,books and manga) 42dayin total til the item arrived
Spoiler for save my time copy and paste:

order2(1 manga)17days til the item arrived
Old 2008-02-26, 14:19   Link #199
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Ok so then more items you buy longer it takes then?.
But i am wondering i can easily navigate through amazon.co.jp but i am wondering can anyone from the UK or US order from it and how long will it take and stuff like that, if you can help because i don't want to order from there before i know peoples experiences of how it went, also i would like to know your opinion what is better for manga and shipping time (Amazon.co.jp OR YesAsia.com).
Old 2008-02-28, 18:42   Link #200
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

yesasia is very fast to get books in traditional chinese or (chinese-transed-manga)
soo please beware(their base are at HongKong...)and all the book and chinese have no free shipping offer*_*have to pay for all the shippment unit

i think they used air ,and this is around 15 days of wait if you are looking for a few pop-item ,like manga of the month

Spoiler:

(speed up) poplaur manga(latest volume)
(speed up) pre-order(easiler to get suppier)
(slow down) VOL1-2 seems to make delay
(slow down) Japanese "books" seem make delay
(slow down) more item slow down off-course(more likely you will needs to wait for longer for them to search for suppier)
(speed up )with less item
(speed up) paid a faster air servce

Tags
buying, import, japanese language, manga