Notices

Old 2010-08-12, 01:42   Link #21
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
When I bought Persona 3 Portable at my local EB Games store, the Clerk asked:
A: My age (lmao wtf)
B: Told / "Warned" me that it's a "Weird crazy shit japanese game" and If I was looking for a "good" game, I should try God of War.

Seriously, I should have socked him in the mouth.
The guy works at EB games. Enough said.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 02:43   Link #22
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
B: Told / "Warned" me that it's a "Weird crazy shit japanese game" and If I was looking for a "good" game, I should try God of War.

Seriously, I should have socked him in the mouth.
I love God of War and Persona,,yeah you should have beat that asshole

I bet that guy thinks Big tough guy+Hype=Good Game

tell that guy how many weird crazy japanese shit is out here like,

nintendo games
final fantasy series
MGS series
DMC series
Street Fighter
Tekken
Mega Man

as for the topic,is it just about anime based[bleach,naruto] or games with anime art style[tales series]?
Old 2010-08-12, 02:52   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
I love God of War and Persona,,yeah you should have beat that asshole

I bet that guy thinks Big tough guy+Hype=Good Game

tell that guy how many weird crazy japanese shit is out here like,

nintendo games
final fantasy series
MGS series
DMC series
Street Fighter
Tekken
Mega Man

as for the topic,is it just about anime based[bleach,naruto] or games with anime art style[tales series]?
I think they implied to both.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 03:04   Link #24
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I get why retailers wouldn't stock dating sims and there is that stigma against "anime-style" stuff but as for the "Americans only want testosterone-leaden games" thing...
It's all anecdotal, but I've long noticed the apparent Western preference for games featuring men who look like, well, fugly neanderthals. Apparently, that's the ideal image of male video-game heroes — think Conan the Barbarian — in the West. Correspondingly, there is an apparent dislike for anime-inspired games that feature androgynous male characters who are too "girly" for Western tastes.

So... the reaction of the EB clerk is very much par for the course, in my experience, having played on both FFXI and WoW. I've lost count on the number of childish rants about how FFXI is too namby-pamby compared to WoW, which is supposedly the epitome of GAR when it comes to gaming. For example, FFXI's relative lack of player-vs-player content is seen as a tremendous weakness, with the implication that those who enjoy such anime-inspired games are just too girly to play "real" games.

I suspect that such cultural stereotypes and prejudices are among the reasons why "anime games" aren't as popular in the West as they are in much of East Asia.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 04:07   Link #25
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

@Kaze: lolwut? Persona is indeed weird in the context of the macabre, but beyond that it's an incredibly good game (SERIES. Let me say that again. Good game SERIES.)

I prefer Prince of Persia over God of War, honestly. *readies flame shield*

It's sort of sad, since I know how that feels. The clerks were awfully quiet to me when I purchased A.T.2.

Quote:
"US Retailers are stupid because they don't do their homework before making decisions"
Ever thought of writing articles Vexx? 8D

Quote:
this is a new century we are talking about
Mmhmm. Wouldn't be too surprised from the article if they completely reverted back to ancestral meanings and started burning and drowning otakus to make sure they weren't 'witches'.

Quote:
with the implication that those who enjoy such anime-inspired games are just too girly to play "real" games.

Too bad, since if my sort of games aren't 'real games', then I don't want to face up to 'reality'.

Long live multi ending dating sim element-wise games! LET THEM CREATE A NEW ERRRAA-- *shot by US sniper*

Sniper: Target neutralized.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 05:40   Link #26
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

What is A.T.2 I might have slightly forgot, but please explain.

Quote:
Mmhmm. Wouldn't be too surprised from the article if they completely reverted back to ancestral meanings and started burning and drowning otakus to make sure they weren't 'witches'.
Oh lord... I hope that never happens (just started living an otaku life)

Quote:
Long live multi ending dating sim element-wise games! LET THEM CREATE A NEW ERRRAA-- *shot by US sniper*

Sniper: Target neutralized.
Epic
Old 2010-08-12, 06:30   Link #27
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Apparently the guy that worked at EB Games had no clue what he was doing (Obviously)

So let's call him Bob
My conclusion is, Bob just stands behind the counter all day long, only knows about "exploding testosterone" games like "Master-Chief-will-bust-you-up-I-planted-the-bomb-ow-yeah".
When a person walks into the store and asks for a game (that he does not know about) Bob looks at the ESRB rating and judges the game by that.

What does the box say about Persona 3?

Quote:
Publisher:
Atlus Co.
Developer:
Atlus Co.
Genre:
Role-Playing
Release Date:
July 6, 2010
ESRB:
MATURE
ESRB Descriptors:
Blood, Partial Nudity, Violence, Language
Now what this guy sees, is an M for mature
What does mature mean in this Bob's head?

Quote:
MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.
Now Bob has to use the corn in his brain and starts thinking.
"Wait a sec, t-this has an age limit! It's Japanese! It's mature! Must be some shit H-game, better ask him for his age!"

This is only what I can imagine happened, but it's like this all across northen America, you've got strange new games with uncertain markets,
You don't know for sure if it will sell or not, but you still take the chance of setting it up in the store.

Then even if it reaches the stores, you've got Bob here who doesn't know what to do, as "Lulz pwnt" is the only roleplaying he's ever done, so he judges on what he thinks it's about, thus forming his judgement and discouraging new people who might be interested in trying the game out by going "No way dude, if you try that out, your eyesockets will melt off, here, try this game with a half naked Spartan who wrestles big giant other men, much more manlier!"

This is what's wrong at the moment, you've got Bob in the store, scaring away new customers, and then complaining back at his boss "Yeah chief, those games ain't selling, I told you they were no good"
Old 2010-08-12, 06:50   Link #28
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It's all anecdotal, but I've long noticed the apparent Western preference for games featuring men who look like, well, fugly neanderthals. Apparently, that's the ideal image of male video-game heroes — think Conan the Barbarian — in the West. Correspondingly, there is an apparent dislike for anime-inspired games that feature androgynous male characters who are too "girly" for Western tastes.

So... the reaction of the EB clerk is very much par for the course, in my experience, having played on both FFXI and WoW. I've lost count on the number of childish rants about how FFXI is too namby-pamby compared to WoW, which is supposedly the epitome of GAR when it comes to gaming. For example, FFXI's relative lack of player-vs-player content is seen as a tremendous weakness, with the implication that those who enjoy such anime-inspired games are just too girly to play "real" games.

I suspect that such cultural stereotypes and prejudices are among the reasons why "anime games" aren't as popular in the West as they are in much of East Asia.
I would say that there is a saturation of "androgynous" and "impossilby beautiful with impossibly cool clothes" male leads. Something we can blame on the stereotypes spread by Final Fantasy games since Nomura. Personally, I just would like more "ordinary" looking protagonists, Guybrush Threepwood, Lester Knight Chaykin, Larry and, more recently, Shiki Tohno are what come in my mind when I say "ordinary".
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 07:07   Link #29
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I'd imagine Persona 3 would have gotten Platinum Hit by now?

Quote:
This is what's wrong at the moment, you've got Bob in the store, scaring away new customers, and then complaining back at his boss "Yeah chief, those games ain't selling, I told you they were no good"
Hahaha... Oh Kaze, you are great with words. xD

Quote:
Epic
x3 lol thanks.

I like Kaze's points, since it's more sensible:

They base on their experience of videogames, and on some cases where the videogame -originated- from. As such, they advocate their videogames much more eagerly then the 'other' videogames.

Kaze, I feel for you. stuff like that isn't that bad here, but I'm sure some of them think "What the hell? Why is he wasting money on this shit?" ...I wouldn't be too happy either.

... ...
... ...

They need to give Otakus the job of Store Clerking instead. :| Problem solved
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 08:12   Link #30
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Guy at german Gamestop recommended me Valkyria Chronicles, said it is one of the best games out for the PS3. He was damned right .__.
Old 2010-08-12, 08:14   Link #31
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Kaze, that is one way to look at it. As you say, he scares away certain customers with his own "uber manly" opinion. Rather than to comment on what their tastes are, just sell the game and be over it. Forcing opinions on others on what's a good game is a no-no. Unless, the customer needs a personal opinion from you, then it's somewhat okay.
Pocky Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 08:59   Link #32
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

The times are changing, but it wasn't too long ago that ultra masculine heroes were all over the place in anime, too.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 09:09   Link #33
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Yeah, my favorite game, Valkyria Chronicles, kinda suffered under this spell. However, I simply refuse to believe that gamers hate anime. I'd say about 60% do hate it, though the 40% of us campaign and spread it everywhere we go.

Plus, I think synaesthetic is right, if such a game like Final Fantasy is able to get such renown and stuff, that's saying that some anime (or anime-esque) games are something everyone hates... I'm not believing that. With games like the Persona series and Valkyria Chronicles, which have been getting good reiviews, I think in the end, it's not so much as retailers refusing to have them, I think it's a failure of good advertising and marketing for the games. I'm telling you, I don't believe I've ever seen many commercials based on anime games..."
I think that other factors contributed to VC's poorer performance in the US than in Japan.

I think Japanese gamers are more open to change or combination of styles. VC is pretty "different." Americans don't like change unless it's better graphics.

Are VC's graphics gorgeous? Absolutely hell yes they are. But they're ALSO "different" graphics. I think Americans are inclined to think that VC-style graphics aren't as good as the overly lens-flared graphics of something like God of War. But VC was also a combination of FPS and block-by-block strategy. How messed up is that? Actually, it was awesome, but if you had to describe VC to a typical American gamer without showing them a visual, I'm sure they'd say, "F that."

It's unfortunate that VC didn't do better, but at least it did well enough that VC2 is coming across the pond (but I'm not really holding my breath for VC2... I am extremely, extremely disappointed that it is on PSP and I am extremely, extremely disappointed with the change in setting).

Maybe I'm wrong about American gamers, but I think the above has a lot to do with it.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 09:24   Link #34
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

I try to not to worry too much what other say about my hobbies - in the end entertainment that is pleasing myself is good. I played the US released VC and imported Persona, and I love it!

Off Topic:
Quote:
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
High-5 to all Penn Stater from a feloow Penn State alumni. I actually live in Tallahassee; with Bobby Bowden retired, Joe Pa is the king.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 10:14   Link #35
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Apparently the guy that worked at EB Games had no clue what he was doing (Obviously)

So let's call him Bob
My conclusion is, Bob just stands behind the counter all day long, only knows about "exploding testosterone" games like "Master-Chief-will-bust-you-up-I-planted-the-bomb-ow-yeah".
When a person walks into the store and asks for a game (that he does not know about) Bob looks at the ESRB rating and judges the game by that.

Now what this guy sees, is an M for mature
What does mature mean in this Bob's head?

Now Bob has to use the corn in his brain and starts thinking.
"Wait a sec, t-this has an age limit! It's Japanese! It's mature! Must be some shit H-game, better ask him for his age!"

This is only what I can imagine happened, but it's like this all across northen America, you've got strange new games with uncertain markets,
You don't know for sure if it will sell or not, but you still take the chance of setting it up in the store.

Then even if it reaches the stores, you've got Bob here who doesn't know what to do, as "Lulz pwnt" is the only roleplaying he's ever done, so he judges on what he thinks it's about, thus forming his judgement and discouraging new people who might be interested in trying the game out by going "No way dude, if you try that out, your eyesockets will melt off, here, try this game with a half naked Spartan who wrestles big giant other men, much more manlier!"

The Sillyness of Bob part 1

But really, hiring someone that question's people for what game they are going to buy is really going to make you lose business.
Old 2010-08-12, 10:24   Link #36
ChainLegacy
廉頗

That is kind of silly when I think about it. They are there to sell any product, not to badmouth some in favor of others.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 10:33   Link #37
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Guy at german Gamestop recommended me Valkyria Chronicles, said it is one of the best games out for the PS3. He was damned right .__.
Guy at german Gamestop told me that I shouldn't buy such games, same for BlazBlue. Told me to buy some different games and pre order Red Dead Redemption. It's pretty embarassing to ask for japanese Games here... the clerks always look at you if you were weird. Final Fantasy is fine but anything else makes you weird.
Might be because the clerks are jerks here. Everything that isn't a FPS or RPG from BioWare are children or perverts' games. I think they should play some of those games instead of showing off their IPad and ignoring costumers....
Old 2010-08-12, 11:09   Link #38
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII will make me buy a PS3...

Damn you, SE! Why must you only put the stupid MMORPG Final Fantasy on PC?!

WHYYYYYY
Old 2010-08-12, 11:15   Link #39
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Guy at german Gamestop told me that I shouldn't buy such games, same for BlazBlue. Told me to buy some different games and pre order Red Dead Redemption. It's pretty embarassing to ask for japanese Games here... the clerks always look at you if you were weird. Final Fantasy is fine but anything else makes you weird.
Might be because the clerks are jerks here. Everything that isn't a FPS or RPG from BioWare are children or perverts' games. I think they should play some of those games instead of showing off their IPad and ignoring costumers....
It's weird, I never have gotten that kind of bias from french vg retailers, I could buy Persona 3 FES, then later a western game and not have the retailer giving me funny look about my tastes. I need to hear more from my fellow frenchmen if they have gotten the same thing. Or I should go for more risque games like Kanon, but I have never found one in shops.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-12, 11:31   Link #40
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I'm not particularly fond of the abundance of androgynous male leads in anime/Japanese games either. That isn't to say I don't find Gears of War style meathead protagonists silly, but somehow guys like that in the middle of ruined combat zones doesn't seem as silly or fanciful as Final Fantasy characters with preposterous hair and costumes.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote