AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-20, 13:20   Link #1681
Darthtabby

Am I one of the few people who actually liked Alto pretty much right off the bat?

My general impression of the main characters was that they fit certain archtypes, but also had some depth to them. At least that's what I seem to remember. I do have to admit my views on the characters have changed quite a bit after a few rewatches though, particularly with regards to Sheryl and Ranka.

It's probably worth noting that I watched the preview version of episode one which had the extended character intros like the later Yakh Deculture edition.

And yeah, I really like Alto. It's kind of hard for me to come up with much of a list of favorite male anime characters but he's definitely on there. I feel he actually does have a decent amount of depth to him. I also don't feel that the TV series ending really has to be seen as an undoing of all his character development, although I do have to admit it's inconclusiveness weakens the overall effect a lot. One reason I think an alternate finale for the TV series might be nice.
Old 2011-08-20, 19:16   Link #1682
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Once again, we'll allow Sheryl to die in Ep.25 and the Vajra will destroy Frontier, Earth, and Eden, and any other ships because Ranka doesn't cure her and Alto sobs before being killed, and all of Macross F in general falls apart. Kawamori loses all his endorsements for the show due to the horrible ending. You are so screwed up in the head to not remember a certain discussion about a Jesus!Ranka who SAVED Sheryl...

Your perspective of Ranka has always been this way. You refuse to see any light in her even when people give you positive sides they've seen of her.
- Her outfits are 100% better than Sheryl's because they make lasting impressions, especially her Seikan Hikou outfit, Houkago Overflow, and Sayonara no Tsubasa outfit (although her Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma one ain't bad either).
- Her smile brightens the whole room and makes almost everyone in the show blush when they see it.
- Her songs are heartwarming and full of happiness for 90% of them, unlike 90% of Sheryl's songs (which I found was another thing I disliked about her).
- She was caring towards those around her, like her brother, and she cared about Alto even when he seemed to want to distance himself from her (fear, much).
- Towards the end, she finally let loose all those bottled up emotions that had been building up since Ep.13.
- She faced the things she feared most (the Vajra and her past) and overcame them.
Ranka had a LOT of good qualities that you all fail to see. You just over-look them because they happened at bad times.

None of you have heard the expression "bad things happen to good people" or "be careful what you wish for" or my favorite "things have a way of popping up?" A lot of good moments in life have been followed by bad decisions or bad things; for example: you just have a child (a miracle of God) and your car breaks down so all your money has to go towards repairing it. Ironic moment for that to happen, ne?
Alto shoots through a heart in the sky, makes Ranka happy, and she goes to confess her love, sees Alto with Sheryl, and the Vajra just happen to have ATTACHED themselves to Frontier, and they appear to grant her wish to "die." That wasn't about her personality, that was a failure of Frontier's "security."

And honestly, Ranka is very much like those of SDF-1 who had believed that they could create peace with the Zentradi.
- Ranka = SDF-1
- Alto, Sheryl, & all of Frontier = Quamin (who just wanted to kill them all)
I was just making a cross-reference. It's not like we have a section where we can crossover Macross', you know.
I see someone is channeling the great Cthulhu, errr, BleachOD. Needs more emoticons. MORE EMOTICONS!

---

Alto was my second favorite on the show and just the right fit for Sheryl. A true hero, loyal and determined, with much more heart than was visible to most who watched the show. Someone who took duty and loyalty seriously.

I had some problems warming up to him in the beginning, as his temper was off-putting. As the show got deeper into his background and he visibly began to change his demeanor and to appreciate his friends much more than he seemed to do in the beginning, I became a big fan of the character. Probably the biggest one on these boards, as I've defended the character against various people a lot.
Old 2011-08-21, 03:08   Link #1683
Thess

Alto was just "there" for me. I don't dislike him or anything, my feelings are lukewarm I guess.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-08-21, 04:14   Link #1684
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
but when there's over three different interpretations for most of your major statements, it's a time to lay off the metaphors and just be blunt and specific.
(lol, this little message was cute ^^) I think the problem was more with how people reacted to what he said (specifially, Klan in 23 and Sheryl in 24). Take his statements on their own (along with the accompanying visuals in the case of 23), and what he meant is pretty clear, IMHO anyway.

Oh, I suppose the last episodes "you are both my wings" is a terrible one too, but it has been cleared up, yes?

Kawamori et al did comment on the issue of 'reading what is unsaid' in an interview (PASH! Animation file, IIRC). They noted how it was easier to do back in the day than it is now... I wonder if that's because audiences in the past would 'read what is unsaid' as a matter of course, in contrast with audiences today who prefer to have as much as possible laid out for them.

Though having seen the first 27 episodes of SDFM...I think they were actually more obvious with character development than they are in Frontier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I feel he's an underrated character, or possibly a character that got shortchanged by the writers on character development.
I personally don't feel that they shortchanged him...but this is the perspective of someone who knows what Kawamori et al were trying to do with the character AND has seen the second movie.

In sum, whilst movie Alto is 'cool', I find series!Alto way more interesting because the plot there (specifically, what happened in episode 20-21) meant that his development was a bit more complex than in the movies. But it's also because of this that I'm a bit ambivalent about his actions...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-08-23 at 02:59.
Old 2011-08-21, 04:47   Link #1685
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
To you, perhaps, but I guess you're not very aware of how anime works if you can dare to say that. There are lots of other characters that deserved the top ten more than her altogether. So, like I said, you might think it, but it's the majority that counts in polls.
i'm sorry LMK but LET IT GO...

Sheryl remained in the poll for many years because she's awesome. XDD
Old 2011-08-21, 14:54   Link #1686
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I see someone is channeling the great Cthulhu, errr, BleachOD. Needs more emoticons. MORE EMOTICONS!
If she likes to put it that way, then we can backtrack and easily point out the fact that... hey, guess what, its Ranka's mother's fault that there was this mess in the first place.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-22, 10:27   Link #1687
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

I don't know why, but of the male characters, Alto wasn't #1 in my book. I liked Michael and Bobby over him, mostly because Bobby wasn't seen much and Michael just takes my heart from Ep.1. He's a perv, yes, but he has heart, that was good for his character. Bobby... well, he's just Bobby.

Alto... well, he kind of had to grow on me. It wasn't that I disliked him at first or anything, but his actions and words made everyone in the show contradict him. He didn't speak his feelings clearly enough or he would avoid the whole situation. It made him come off as a character afraid of expressing himself - to me. Take, for instance, when Michael talks to him in Ep.3 and Yasaburou in Ep.11; instead of saying WHY he wants to be a pilot or what makes him desire it, he just says "I'm not" or walks away. He tends to be the most difficult character to read, because one moment he wants to be a pilot and the next he hates the violence altogether.

But in terms of female characters that are not Ranka, Nanase and Klan are my favorites. Klan is one of those that I've seen multiple times in Toradora or Hidan no Aria, or even ZnT. She's one of those girls that keeps on moving on with her life even though the one she loves doesn't admit his feelings. She keeps being friends with them. Nanase is one of those supportive, big sister type people to me. That's something I admire in her.
Old 2011-08-22, 10:29   Link #1688
Tak

Quote:
She keeps being friends with them. Nanase is one of those supportive, big sister type people to me. That's something I admire in her.
Oh, she is definitely big in a few areas...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-08-22 at 10:41.
Old 2011-08-22, 10:38   Link #1689
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh, she is definitely big a few areas...

- Tak
And HALLELUJAH for that!
Old 2011-08-22, 11:25   Link #1690
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I like big... ops.

Old 2011-08-22, 11:33   Link #1691
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I like big... ops.
You misspelled oppai.
Old 2011-08-22, 11:40   Link #1692
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
You misspelled oppai.
Spoiler for HMM!:

- Tak

Old 2011-08-22, 12:05   Link #1693
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Spoiler for HMM!:

- Tak
Bah. Old news. I bought "Nyan Dra 2"when it came out.
Old 2011-09-08, 08:39   Link #1694
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hm...I'm surprised no one posted about the Animedia 30th Anniversary poll (Animedia July 2011) for best anime series and male/female characters. Even though a full translation of the whole thing made it onto 4ch...(or so a google search tells me...)

Best Anime:
(14) Macross Frontier, with 654 votes

Best Female Character:
(15) Sheryl, with 1533 votes
(20) Ranka, with 688 votes

None of the male characters made it though...and you probably don't want to know what #1 for the anime and female characters were...

p.s. For a sense of scale: the #1s in each category had over 7000 votes each, with #30 having just over 200 votes.

p.p.s. @ Tak (just in case you haven't seen it)
the SEED series had 3rd spot, and Lacus was #11, with Kira @ #4.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-09-08, 10:28   Link #1695
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
None of the male characters made it though...and you probably don't want to know what #1 for the anime and female characters were...
Or rather, not surprised at the results, at all

Quote:
p.p.s. @ Tak (just in case you haven't seen it)
the SEED series had 3rd spot, and Lacus was #11, with Kira @ #4.
Yeah, SEED is still going strong even after these years, despite the setbacks, backlashes, frictions, and FATkuda being a dick in general...

So, where be the movie?

- Tak

Old 2011-09-08, 16:39   Link #1696
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Actually, I want to know Do you have the whole poll ?

And I'm glad that Seed is still popular as ever :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
So, where be the movie?
Instead of that we have an HD version of Seed...greaaaat...
Old 2011-09-08, 17:15   Link #1697
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Actually, I want to know
Its K-ON!! Top 5 voice actresses are also filled by members of the series. Others included Code Geass, SEED... etc.

Which is hardly surprising. As I mentioned before, K-ON probably has the most ideal depiction of Japanese high-school life.

A movie version of K-ON is also slated for theaters soon.

Spoiler for Full List Here:

Surprisingly enough... Dragonball is still on the list...

- Tak

Old 2011-09-08, 17:26   Link #1698
Kusa-San

Thanks Tak ! After all these years, Gundam Seed is still the most popular Gundam Serie !

I'm surprised by Charlotte (IS) place. She's really popular ! Surprised too for CC. She should be higher
Old 2011-09-08, 17:45   Link #1699
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I'm surprised by Charlotte (IS) place. She's really popular !
Oh yes... the French reverse-trap

- Tak

Old 2011-09-08, 17:55   Link #1700
Kusa-San

Quote:
Oh yes... the French reverse-trap

- Tak
She's our French ambassador ! To all the Charlotte fan, come to France !! You will find many Charlotte !!!

...or maybe not

Btw, why Kotobuki Tsumugi is so low ?
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite