AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 00:35   Link #861
Nikkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu View Post
I did both anyway. I hope they're what you wanted. ^^

Thank you! They all look great
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 02:26   Link #862
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Chuunibyou actually has subcategories. I think it's probably already mentioned somewhere that middle school kids who start drinking black coffee, or listening to western pop, etc. etc. all fall under Chuunis. So yes, Chuunibyou covers a wider scope; just that the Chuunis in this series are classified as the "evil eye category". Okabe will be considered under DQN category. For the series that have aired to date, Kobato from Haganai and Kuroneko from Oreimo will fall under the "evil eye category".
Okabe's a jakigan (evil eye), actually. The real DQN in Steins;Gate is 4°C but he barely appears in the anime.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 02:33   Link #863
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 02:33   Link #864
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Chuunibyou actually has subcategories. I think it's probably already mentioned somewhere that middle school kids who start drinking black coffee, or listening to western pop, etc. etc. all fall under Chuunis. So yes, Chuunibyou covers a wider scope; just that the Chuunis in this series are classified as the "evil eye category". Okabe will be considered under DQN category. For the series that have aired to date, Kobato from Haganai and Kuroneko from Oreimo will fall under the "evil eye category".

I don't understand why developing a taste for black coffee or Western pop would fall under chuunibyou. Is it because the sudden development is prompted by a desire to be different or cool? If that is the case, how do you differentiate between people who want to look/be cool and people who have a case of chuunibyou? People do all kinds of silly things to appear cool, like smoking cigarettes, wearing black sunglasses, or carrying expensive branded bags.

[Edit]
I just recall how people admit they'll do Ocelot's hand gesture at the checkout counter or during class after Metal Gear Solid 3 was released. Is that considered a case of chunnibyou too?
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 02:36   Link #865
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Okabe's a jakigan (evil eye), actually. The real DQN in Steins;Gate is 4°C but he barely appears in the anime.
Well... I'm willing to argue that he's actually an anti-social+evil-eye chu2byo, but... we should take this to the Steins;Gate thread...

And speaking of delusions, there's a poll in http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/266...ga+Shitai.html that lists a couple of (familiar) delusions you might have........let's just watch the proper KyoAni episode. lol XDD
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 02:39   Link #866
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Coffee is considered a drink for older people (as it is somewhat bitter black). Not sure about Western pop, but that might be like an American going for J-Pop in 7th grade over American music. A "delusion that foreign music is better because it isn't 'mundane local music'"?
Old 2012-10-05, 02:44   Link #867
ReinhartX

I had to draw this

http://imageshack.us/f/152/rikka.jpg/

ok imma noob seems tagging an image doesnt work somehow as it wont show up and i not sure how do quote it either so ive to just link it T_T
ReinhartX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 03:03   Link #868
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Coffee is considered a drink for older people (as it is somewhat bitter black). Not sure about Western pop, but that might be like an American going for J-Pop in 7th grade over American music. A "delusion that foreign music is better because it isn't 'mundane local music'"?
The poster who mentioned the examples given in the show misquoted the show. It talks about middle school kids who didn't even read classics of their own literature (spent all the time reading only manga) suddenly starting to study foreign classics in their original languages. I don't necessarily think that going for foreign pop music has any less merit in the Chuunibyou scale but I do think that the example given by the show has more of an oomph factor. Also I was (am?) afflicted with Chunibyou by that definition (although I started ages before second year of middle school) so what gives. I suppose I was also afflicted by Chunibyou of the kind the MC and the eyepatch girl are but I consider that more widespread and rather natural unless it's very excessive and continues well into adulthood and even then there's LARPING and all that and what's wrong with being delusional kids anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinhartX View Post
I had to draw this

ok imma noob seems tagging an image doesnt work somehow as it wont show up and i not sure how do quote it either so ive to just link it T_T
Eh nvm. It won't work I guess lol. My guess is that for some reason that that photo isn't accessible to public (without direct link) or something.
Old 2012-10-05, 04:08   Link #869
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinhartX View Post
I had to draw this

Images

My attempt of fixing that for you. Good job by the way.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 05:03   Link #870
sky black swordman

^ @Hyper, you are a really nice guy.

@ReinhartX ,LOL Very nice image bro. I was wait for some one to make that connection.
Old 2012-10-05, 05:09   Link #871
Awrya
U mad?

@ReinhartX Dat eye
Old 2012-10-05, 05:27   Link #872
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Finally got the time to sit down and watch the episode.

Rikka is definitely adorable, but Yuuta's pretty cool too. I can see why people would say that he was annoying, but he's definitely just a high schooler trying to grow up to me. Although people have been saying that the chuunibyou stuff was nostalgic for them, Yuuta's complete rejection of how he was in middle school and how overly serious he tries to be because he thinks it's more mature is just as nostalgic to me. It reminds me of how I tried to act when I entered high school.

I feel like I'm really going to like this show. It hits a lot of good points for me . Also, the music when Yuuta was helping Rikka move was pretty nice, especially with headphones. I like the direction they're going with the music over the music in the series Satoru Kousaki worked on. Satoru's music was a lot more in-the-background and simpler, while the music here by Nijine is a lot more noticeable. I kinda like it that way.

Edit: And as I thought, I like Kuzuha's character! She isn't really a stoic character. If anything, she's just plain, but I like her anyway. I tend to like plain characters anyway.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 2012-10-05 at 06:08.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 07:20   Link #873
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Really funny intro episode. Can't wait until the rest of the cast introduced.

[images=freebies]
Ava:

Beta have conceived a human form for Laser Class. We are doomed.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:23   Link #875
Peanutbutter

What a seizure of an OP. It's almost impossible to read anything in it.

If Kyoani had much of a brain, it will rework the OP asap.

Rikka's antics may be "moe" but I'm already getting sick of her eye stuff. The web short was alright but really, I like to see something a bit more.

Since it's Kyoani, it's automatically a series to keep. But this is no K-On.

Oh special mention to the OP and ED, mainly by ZAQ, who did the music for Saki Achiga-hen, which in my opinion, really make the series. Even the OP had tinges of Futuristic Player in it.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:37   Link #876
Sumeragi
Banned

About the types of Chuunibyou: I think the following excerpt from pixiv (which uses the "Chuunibyou User Manual") might help with that:

Quote:
DQN (DQN系, dokyun kei)
Pretends to be anti-social or acts like a delinquent when in fact he or she is not or cannot become like either one. Tells made up stories about gang fights or crimes, or boasts and pretends to know about that subculture. "DQN" is slang for "antisocial person" or "annoying delinquent".

Subcultural/Hipster (サブカル系, SubCul kei)
Prefers non-mainstream or minor trends and establishes themselves as being special. People of this type do not really love the subculture itself but rather strive to obtain the "cool" factor by not having the same interests as others.

Evil Eye (邪気眼系, Jyakigan kei)
Admires mystical powers and thinks that he or she has a hidden power within them as well. It is this trait that they create an alias specifically for said power. This is also known as the delusional type.
Here, developing a taste for black coffee or Western pop when not really having the taste for those would go under Subcultural/Hipster.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:46   Link #877
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I have meet an extremely annoying DQN back in my teenage years. He was boasting about his bro having a pitbull, he adopted gangster mannerism due to overexposure to gangsta rap and crime drama like Scarface. Man, that guy was annoying as fuck.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:56   Link #878
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
YouTube
pure genius D:
Old 2012-10-05, 10:11   Link #879
Insane
Banned

For some reason, this show makes me really nostalgic. I used to point my finger at department store's door to make it open (although it was automatic door), and said weird things such as "i am a humanity lifesaver". This romcom harem anime is very unique in my opinion. No fanservice, no clueless dense idiot MC, and no forced relationship. Not to mention that this is KyoAni's production, with their infamous super animation and arts. Man, this fall is gonna be fun.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 10:14   Link #880
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
For some reason, this show makes me really nostalgic. I used to point my finger at department store's door to make it open (although it was automatic door), and said weird things such as "i am a humanity lifesaver". This romcom harem anime is very unique in my opinion. No fanservice, no clueless dense idiot MC, and no forced relationship. Not to mention that this is KyoAni's production, with their infamous super animation and arts. Man, this fall is gonna be fun.
Plot-wise, I don't think that applies... I do agree otherwise, though. Plus, I have a hunch that the limits of a chu2byo will be tested here, as well as my childhood...

IMO, when I think about it more carefully, isn't KyoAni technically making a rather big risk in making this? I mean, if the anime fails, what will happen to the credibility of the KyoAni Awards?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen