AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-01-30, 00:18   Link #1
tamago-desu

Why do Fansubbers put OST on anime files?

i dont get why the starting + ending songs must be included in [b]every[b] episode. i dont think it is nessesary because the majority of anime watchters skip it anyways (unless its the first episode). The starting and ending songs take up about 45mb of the dl, quite alot for people who need to conserve dl bandwidth.
so why?... xD..!
tamago-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 00:29   Link #2
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Because it's stupid to not include them, that's why. It's part of the show.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 00:29   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

First of all I think you should have posted this in the fansub groups forum, because you are not talking about any show.

I imagine the reason to leave the OP and ED sequences (?OST?) on the episodes is because that's how they are broadcast. If someone watched a random episode of the show, it would just be weird for the OP to be missing. Some shows have a preview segment which precedes the OP sequence, so cutting it out would involve cutting up the file and gluing it back together. If some group started cutting the OP and ED sequences out of their releases I would look real fast for a sub from a different group.

I want to say "the REAL reason of course is so they can show off their fancy karaoke sequences" but I rather just think it, that can't be right...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 00:36   Link #4
frowndog
Poof... time warp

Quote:
I want to say "the REAL reason of course is so they can show off their fancy karaoke sequences" but I rather just think it, that can't be right...
Actually, that could be very close to the truth for all we know.

Actually, sometimes they do cut out portions. like the parts after the OP where they say "this program is brought to you by the following sponsors..."

Or, it could be that the original raw was where it was cut up...

Anyway, i actually like OP/ED, it makes you appreciate the anime more and adds to the mood and setting. Look at Tsukihime, Avenger, .hack et al as examples
frowndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 00:39   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Yup babbito2k is right

Moving thread -> fansub groups
Old 2004-01-30, 00:57   Link #6
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

I like them. I actually sit through a lot of them too, especially if the OP/ED themes are good. It also makes it feel closer to an actual TV broadcast (thankfully we're spared any commercial breaks in between, even if some people claim Japanese commercials to be hilarious).

There will always be people who think the downloads could have been a little bit smaller, at the cost of butchering the files for all those who doesn't have a problem downloading a lot.
Old 2004-01-30, 00:57   Link #7
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog

Actually, sometimes they do cut out portions. like the parts after the OP where they say "this program is brought to you by the following sponsors..."

Right. Generally, it's because of the fact that the raw is cut up. However, since they usually don't put this on the final R2 DVDs, there is more of a reason to cut this out than to cut the OP/ED out, if it was still in the raw.

Quote:
Anyway, i actually like OP/ED, it makes you appreciate the anime more and adds to the mood and setting. Look at Tsukihime, Avenger, .hack et al as examples
Plus, not all shows have the same OP/ED over and over again
Look at Galaxy Angel S3 or Fruits Basket/Full Moon, etc.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 00:58   Link #8
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
I've seen threads like this before .... something recently suggesting everyone chop the op/ed before release to save like 20-30 megs/ep.... I replied a bit differently there than here but there's a lot of reasons, so here's some more.

As a general rule, I think that it's better to have more options than fewer.

With that in mind, by giving you the op/ed with the pretty karaoke's and translations and all that nifty jazz, not only do we get to put our names in it in places that it looks like it goes (and arguably teach some romanji and kanji, though you've already gotta have a base in it to learn anything from the anime opening songs IMO), we also give you the option of watching it or not.

If you don't wanna watch it, just skip ahead 1:30 from the start of the file. Many players support hotkeys to jump specific distances -- in one of the players I regularly use, "skip the opening" is "press the right arrow key 6 times".

On the other hand, if you do want to watch the opening, and we've chopped it off, we've denied you the ability to do as you please. So by merely offering the option, we don't dictate how you view it, but by denying the option we take away your choice.

<semi-relevant digression>When I was a much younger person, my mom used to take me and my brother to the grocery store on saturday afternoons. Why saturday afternoons, you ask? Because the grocery store we liked to shop at had free samples all over the store then. There were free samples of trail mix and sausage and cheese and crackers and meat and snack foods and you could make about a whole meal out of just walking around the store snagging samples. It was great fun for us, it kept us occupied while my mom got the groceries and kept us happy, and we liked it.

Now the thing about free samples is ... you don't have to take it. Sure, they're nice ameneties, but they're ameneties you can refuse. Think of our karaoke'ed translated nifty openings and ending songs.... you can skip them or you can watch them. We don't really care which you do, whether you eat the free pizza rolls or you decide not to. But we're not going to remove the booth just so you can get around the store easier.
</semi-relevant digression>

More than that though, it's just a completion thing. More than as a fansubber, as a person, as a creator of works, I want to create things that are complete. It's a matter of pride. I can say "I did a halfassed job" or I can say "look at this beautiful complete work that I did my best on." I can't take pride in a house that I built if the house has no rooms and is missing half the floor and a big patch out of the roof. I can't take pride in a research paper I write that has no data or relevant sources. I can't take pride in a program I write that spits out incorrect answers because I didn't take the time to debug it. You see the analogy?
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 02:19   Link #9
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by frowndog

Definately. Complich: You using Mplayer?
I believe that the OP/ED sequences are good not only for the fansubbers to get their little spot before the "actual" show, but so you get a little break from the anime. Some people watch shows so damn fast that they often are left with an empty feeling when they've just zoomed past a 100+ep series without even knowing. Anime is a sick, disgusting drug, and those here flaunt their usage .
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 02:50   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Someone want to change the topic name and replace OST with OP/ED? =P
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 05:16   Link #11
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Definately. Complich: You using Mplayer?
I believe that the OP/ED sequences are good not only for the fansubbers to get their little spot before the "actual" show, but so you get a little break from the anime. Some people watch shows so damn fast that they often are left with an empty feeling when they've just zoomed past a 100+ep series without even knowing. Anime is a sick, disgusting drug, and those here flaunt their usage .
I'm a multiplatform guy .... mplayerosx on my laptop. zplayer, mpc or wmp 6.4 on my desktop (depending on purposes -- 6.4 for just regular stuff, mpc for stuff that breaks 6.4 or just doesn't work well in it, zplayer for binges ).

and you make a good point about getting a break. When I do full-series binges, I tend to toss the whole directory into zplayer and just let it play. I get ops/eds/previews. It makes the episodes nice and digestible to have about 3 minutes of break time to listen to some music and digest the last 20 minutes.

didn't even really think of that function .... I'd call that part of the whole package though .
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 05:32   Link #12
kuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamago-desu
the majority of anime watchters skip it anyways (unless its the first episode).
How interesting. You know the majority of anime watchers! This must be difficult as there's millions of them around the world. Or maybe you're basing your conclusion in how you and 2 or 3 friends watch anime...

The majority of anime watcher I know like their shows with full openings and endings.

And last year, when Animeigo had the brilliant idea of releasing the Kimagure Orange Road TV DVD box with only one opening and ending in each disc, they've got so many complaints and returns that they had to re-do the DVD box.

You don't have to watch openings and endings but I don't feel you have the right to ask for them to be cut as there're many (including myself) who do like to watch them more then once (unless they're pretty bad). Did you know that there're people who like openings and endings enough to buy CDs with the songs ?

If you have a crappy internet connection, please get a better one or try to copy CDs from friends or something like that, instead of asking the fansubbers to deliver a second rate product.
kuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 06:17   Link #13
Tboz

I agree with complich8 that it is better to have it there in case people wants to watch it. Btw, I have to confess that I usually don't rewatch it after the first episode. This applies to all of them good or bad with little exceptions, I just prefer to hear them than watch them. What I actually dislike is the incomplete feeling if they don't come with the OP/ED credits. Well, I think most people are like that, when you don't have something, you complain. When you have it, you take it for granted.

Although I usually listen to the full tracks on my Loving Heart soundtrack, I agree that every KOR episode should be accompanied by the OP/ED to be complete. Respect Wada Kanako!
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 08:10   Link #14
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
Cutting OP & ED of the anime would really be dumb, and it's not for the few Mb it takes!
f.e when I start watching an anime. I launch the episode, and then I walk from my desk to my bed and lie down to watch it, having an OP gives me 1.30 minutes to walk those 2 meters!
and I believe the karaoke on the OP/ED is also a quality label for the episode! a good karaoke often goes with a good translation, a good type setting, a good subtiming...
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 08:10   Link #15
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamago-desu
the majority of anime watchters skip it anyways (unless its the first episode).
Speaking as the majority of anime watchers, I like to watch my anime as if they were on Japanese TV. So I usually watch through the whole OP/ED, and I also like the subtitles to be inobtrusive (not flashy).
Old 2004-01-30, 08:13   Link #16
scotty81
DSL addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Speaking as the majority of anime watcher, I like to watch my anime as if I was seeing it on Japanese TV. So I usually watch through the whole OP/ED,
would you enjoy having the adds in the middle of the episode too ?

just kidding. I agree, having the OP/ED gives me , poor little frenchy, a 20 minutes dream, of watching a subbed anime on tv, which never happens in france!
Old 2004-01-30, 08:19   Link #17
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Ads in the middle would be cool. They actually did that with the Sailor Moon liveaction; the parody subs were hilarious.

Anime never shows up on American TV either, unless if you think Dragonball Z is an anime...
Old 2004-01-30, 08:31   Link #18
scotty81
DSL addict

so the "old continent" isn't that late! lol
ads would fun, at least on the special episodes ( like double eps for Naruto ) adds in the middle really make it an hour!. it would be uge though! or the ads would have a very lo bitrate!
Old 2004-01-30, 09:08   Link #19
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Think of it like this: Why do people leave crusts on their bread?
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 09:09   Link #20
lavalyn

Not to mention that credits have nice music and stuff that people want to watch, but...

give credit to the actual animators and artists! Those credits are there for a reason when broadcasting, not only to introduce any given show, but also to recognize the people that worked on them. And that is more than just the fansub group - that's just a rogue translations team in the grand scheme of things. People drew those frames, and made the storyboard, and recorded those voices, and wrote that music too.

Tangent: this is also why I don't like groups that obscure the actual credits with fansub group credits. You're not more important than they are!
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote