AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-23, 02:55   Link #221
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
It's technically an alternate universe, not really tied to Clannad (not even the Tomoyo route, which TA takes liberties with) and isn't a sequel or prequel or really made to be seen in relation to the events of that visual novel.

As for a translation project, there is one that Baka-Tsuki (those who are also doing the translation project for Clannad) is running. I'm not sure what the status is on that, though.
Old 2009-03-23, 03:38   Link #222
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
i see... so i guess it kind of has ties to the Clannad OVA where Tomoya and Tomoyo were together instead of Tomoya and Nagisa
Old 2009-03-23, 03:58   Link #223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not even that really. Sort of like an alternate to and alternate universe...The OVA was pretty much the Clannad Tomoyo route. Tomoyo After is just, well, different.
Old 2009-03-23, 04:00   Link #224
VRMN
Dangoism

Kind of. Like I said, though, it's different than the Tomoyo route that the OVA represented in part. The backstory of how Tomoya and Tomoyo got together is different (a lot of the stuff that's depicted in her Clannad route doesn't occur in the TA timeline).

Still, it sort of functions as a Tomoyo version of After Story, as could be surmised by the title. But, really, it's just its own thing.
Old 2009-03-23, 07:08   Link #225
Farplaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRMN View Post
The backstory of how Tomoya and Tomoyo got together is different (a lot of the stuff that's depicted in her Clannad route doesn't occur in the TA timeline).
Eh? That's not how I remembered. When Tomoyo was bringing Tomoya to all the places where they spent time together and she was explaining things that happened, they all occured in Clannad...

Can you explain further?
Old 2009-03-23, 07:21   Link #226
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
The backstory of how Tomoya and Tomoyo got together is different.
No, you're wrong. TA takes place after Tomoyo's route events, it's a direct continuation of her route.
Old 2009-03-23, 13:16   Link #227
VRMN
Dangoism

I seem to recall that Tomoyo and Tomoya broke up, albeit temporarily, and only got together what I perceived to be years later, after Tomoyo had graduated.

In Tomoyo After, it's Tomoyo's senior year in high school, with no break up period having occurred that I was aware of. (To be fair, this is part second hand knowledge and part my knowledge from reading the manga, so if the visual novel does acknowledge those events, I was mistaken.)
Old 2009-03-23, 13:27   Link #228
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... from what I remember, they reconcile after Tomoya graduates, when Tomoyo has just finished her second year. At least, from what I remember
Old 2009-03-23, 13:32   Link #229
VRMN
Dangoism

I'd have to rewatch and/or replay the arc, honestly, but in the end, it doesn't change that it functions as a sequel, regardless of if small things change between the two.

It should be noted that, as I remember, at the very least they reconcile during the winter of Tomoyo's senior year, based on that scene at the end of the arc taking place in the snow. The game Tomoyo After takes place during that summer...so...yeah. There's some disconnect somewhere. Major or minor, there is.
Old 2009-03-23, 13:32   Link #230
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
and only got together what I perceived to be years later, after Tomoyo had graduated.
Are you really sure about "years later" ?
Old 2009-03-23, 13:35   Link #231
VRMN
Dangoism

I don't think they ever make it clear the exact timeframe. I just took it as some great time had passed when I played through the arc.
Old 2009-03-23, 14:02   Link #232
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

According to the creators, Tomoyo After acts as a sequel to the Tomoyo route of Clannad. However, the creators did take slight liberties with Tomoyo After as Tomoya and Tomoyo (henceforth referred to as Tomotomo) did not begin immediately involved in what one would note as a romantic relationship. Minor 'liberties' include Tomoya already graduated and working as a sanitary engineer (ie. garbage man) while Tomoyo is still at school.

It would appear that the creators wanted the player, as Tomoya, to work on building a relationship as he did in Clannad. They also changed the artist to give Tomoyo a more ... mature/sexier look.

That said, depends on your point of view, you can look at it as being another universe or part of the Clannad world. Its up to the player, really. I simply chose to look at it as a continuation.

On the other hand, it would appear that since Tomoyo and Nagisa both had strong influences (depending on the route you choose) on Tomoya, the two girls are never seen having a conversation (if any) and are rarely seen together extensively on the same scene. Notably in the anime, when the scene focuses on either Tomotomo or Tomo/Nagi, the other girl simply disappear off the scene. For a good example, refer to season I of Clannad.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-03-24, 05:36   Link #233
Justin Kim
*Artist

I have a couple of questions regarding the TA.

Is Baka - Tsuki translating the entire PC game to English, and currently what is the status?
When they translate the PC game - the English will probably be a patch for the PC game am I mistaken?
Does anyone know the progress so far on the translation project? Or the status at least? I heard it was coming at a near end.
Can anyone answer my questions please, I would really love to play this game.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:15   Link #234
Proto

More than Baka Tsuki's, it's velocity7's and co's project, which is being hosted in Baka Tsuki and hence it has also become sort of a community project. I think they have contemplated the possibility of releasing a PS2 version, but for the moment they are focusing on the PC one. The project's translation phase is long over, however thy have been editing it for a while.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:20   Link #235
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

It will be faster and more useful to learn some grammar and use atlas for kanji meaning, believe me. Or you can wait forever for translation, lol.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:29   Link #236
Proto

As described in this very same thread you can check the translation yourself through the project's svn o_o....
Old 2009-03-24, 15:47   Link #237
Justin Kim
*Artist

Wait Proto what's an svn? Do you have a link regarding Velocity7's translation progress?
Old 2009-03-24, 20:27   Link #238
TubZzz
*IT Support

http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clannad
i think that's the site Proto is talking about...

http://clannad.thewafflehouse.net/index.php
that's the one regarding velocity7's progress... i think ^_^
Old 2009-03-25, 04:46   Link #239
Justin Kim
*Artist

Wait so are they officially done with the translation progress? I am confused with the Clannad project that wafflehouse and velocity7 are currently working on. Are they done? When I checked the wiki, it seems the team wants to fix some issues regarding the scripts in the game, but overall the scripts were finished. Care to explain?
Old 2009-03-25, 06:32   Link #240
TubZzz
*IT Support

i'm not too sure myself... the site seems to be a bit vague... i hope we see a patch soon ^_^
Closed Thread