Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2016-04-17, 13:00   Link #101
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Yeesh, it's like they decided to cut parts of the OVA and put OP/ED songs in between, without caring for transitions at all.

So Unicorn is a mere stopgap for, hopefully, a better Gundam show? Possibly after IBO S2?
It's a low budget release airing at 7:00am on Sunday morning, with a bunch of free streams. It's more or less no different than those Seed HD remake rebroadcasts in that it's just some cheap promotion to keep the series active.
Old 2016-04-17, 22:43   Link #102
wissenschaft

Yeah, its disappointing that Unicorn has just been cut up with no sense for transitions. Disappointing. Just watch the OVAs.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-18, 01:04   Link #103
Darthtabby

I decided to take the TV version as a chance to rewatch the series. I saw the OVA years ago but didn't follow it all that well. There's quite a bit I've forgotten.

As in the past there's a lot of things in the series that impress me. However, I have to say that Banagher's "I want her to need me" is an absolutely awful character motivation.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-18, 03:05   Link #104
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Yeah, its disappointing that Unicorn has just been cut up with no sense for transitions. Disappointing. Just watch the OVAs.
Speaking of which, is Unicorn TV confirmed to run for six months? If it is, I think they'll definitely have to make some new scenes later on because the OVA doesn't have enough raw footage to last that long even if they cramp it in verbatim.

Whether they are significant or not remains to be seen though but it might open up the possibility that the TV Version might offer new stuff, which means that they may be a reason to watch it over the OVAs. Whether it is or not remains to be seen though.
Old 2016-04-18, 03:31   Link #105
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
As in the past there's a lot of things in the series that impress me. However, I have to say that Banagher's "I want her to need me" is an absolutely awful character motivation.
Eh, I think it works if he loves the girl and found no real purpose in his life before he met her. Become someone worthy enough that make your loved ones need you is actually a straightforward motivation. He basically wants to be a better person worthy to get his love interest .
Old 2016-04-18, 05:33   Link #106
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

still wondering on how the Banagher X Audrey X Riddhe love triangle works, its a cliffhanger......
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-18, 08:22   Link #107
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Speaking of which, is Unicorn TV confirmed to run for six months? If it is, I think they'll definitely have to make some new scenes later on because the OVA doesn't have enough raw footage to last that long even if they cramp it in verbatim.

Whether they are significant or not remains to be seen though but it might open up the possibility that the TV Version might offer new stuff, which means that they may be a reason to watch it over the OVAs. Whether it is or not remains to be seen though.
Or they go full Seed mode and throw a couple of clip shows and half clip shows in there for good measure... That takes care of the lack of footage.
Old 2016-04-18, 09:51   Link #108
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Or they go full Seed mode and throw a couple of clip shows and half clip shows in there for good measure... That takes care of the lack of footage.
Oh god, I didn't even think of that possibility before.
Old 2016-04-18, 19:15   Link #109
Blazer-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Oh god, I didn't even think of that possibility before.
Wouldn't they need upwards of 4-5 episodes of clipshow then? I mean for god's sake, Bandai already have 5 seconds of FA Unicorn and Banshee Norn vs Neo Zeong animated. Just give us another 5 minutes of that fight and we're good to go!
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-18, 19:56   Link #110
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Btw, do you guys already counted the OP & ED's duration? The accumulation of which in a season can be used to fill some time gaps.
Old 2016-04-19, 04:12   Link #111
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Btw, do you guys already counted the OP & ED's duration? The accumulation of which in a season can be used to fill some time gaps.
About 1.15 for OP and about 1.50 for ED + Next Episode Preview.

---

OVA:
(6 x 60 minutes) + 90 minutes = 7 hours 30 minutes of content.

RE:
(25 x 24 minutes) = (600 minutes / 60 minutes) = 10 hours

Additional content:
(10.00 - 7.30) = 2 hours 30 minutes of new content

Of course, not counting the OP and ED. If we considering the OP and ED as well, surely the amount of additional content will reduced but there's still additional content for duration of two or three episodes, disregarding possibilities of no OP and/or ED for the last episode, doing clip shows or a summary episode.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 04:24   Link #112
Dragonria

The number of episodes is confirmed?
Dragonria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 04:36   Link #113
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

We know when it's going to end I think, which means we know roughly the amount of episodes.

If we assume that ED+OP+Preview is going to take a total of 1 hour 21 minutes for the whole show (I roughly assumed 3 minutes 15 seconds per episode and multiply that by 25), that leaves around 1 hour 10 minutes of time that they need to fill if we subtract that from the 2 hour 30 minute of the total series video runtime that Tactics calculated, which doesn't include the OP/ED/Preview. Tactics is right basically, that's around three episodes of time they need to fill.

On one end of the spectrum, they can fill in those with clip shows/repeated fillers/etc. On the other end, they can fill it in with all new content. Most likely I think it's going to be somewhere in between as that way they can claim that there is new stuff without actually doing that much content - and even sell DVD/Blu-Rays of this show which would include the new scenes.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2016-04-19 at 08:01.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 16:14   Link #114
darkone45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Yeesh, it's like they decided to cut parts of the OVA and put OP/ED songs in between, without caring for transitions at all.

So Unicorn is a mere stopgap for, hopefully, a better Gundam show? Possibly after IBO S2?
Or better yet Unicorn is here for the sole reason for Sunrise to work on Season 2 of IBO I Highly doubt they have another Gundam TV anime in the works Since they try doing two Gundam anime at the same time and that didn't work out well at the moment they focusing On IBO and nothing else.
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-19, 22:23   Link #115
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
Or better yet Unicorn is here for the sole reason for Sunrise to work on Season 2 of IBO I Highly doubt they have another Gundam TV anime in the works Since they try doing two Gundam anime at the same time and that didn't work out well at the moment they focusing On IBO and nothing else.
Nah, different studios within Sunrise are working on the shows. So they wouldn't need to do that.

Though the Gundam Thunderbolt team is part of Sunrise Studio 1 which is working on Unicorn, so it's not to say that studio isn't occupied.
Old 2016-04-20, 03:31   Link #116
kgrodriguez
Three Stars and a Sun

I haven't watched the OVA before, and so far I am enjoying Unicorn.

I have to ask though, in the last episode most of you are mentioning that they didn't even had a proper transition from the first OVA episode to the next. At what part of the episode did the transition occur?
kgrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-20, 04:06   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrodriguez View Post
I have to ask though, in the last episode most of you are mentioning that they didn't even had a proper transition from the first OVA episode to the next. At what part of the episode did the transition occur?
After the Unicorn Gundam transformed and went for an attack, you can see that the screen froze right there. That's the end of the first OVA. Then the TV version just lazily added the beginning of the second OVA where the Unicorn transforms again. That's why there's an awkward repetition of transforming Unicorn in that scene. That's not a commercial break. SunDai literally just connected the end & starting points of two OVA episodes together without much consideration.
Old 2016-04-20, 04:21   Link #118
Router25
World Connector. I think

I just found the news about the remastered BD release of G Gundam, does this had any relevance to the TV UC? The only way to find out is whether another remastered version comes up within the UC's airings.
Old 2016-04-20, 04:53   Link #119
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router25 View Post
I just found the news about the remastered BD release of G Gundam, does this had any relevance to the TV UC? The only way to find out is whether another remastered version comes up within the UC's airings.
I doubt it. Sunrise has many departments. One studio can work on IBO while another works on Origin, and some others can work on remastering old Gundam series at the same time. Heck, Bandai can even hire other studio outside Sunrise that can do a good remaster/cleaning job for their Gundam BD releases. The problem is how much money and effort Bandai want to spend for Unicorn TV. As long as they see the project as being a good/great commercial endeavor, they aren't afraid to shell out money for it. My guess so far is they won't spend that much money for Unicorn TV coz this is not an important or well-though-out project.

And like I said in the G Gundam thread, SunDai like to took their time in releasing their Gundam BDs. So I don't think we'll see another release shortly after G Gundam BD got released. IIRC their latest BD was Gundam 0083 and there's a significant amount of time passed between 0083's BD release and G's BD announcement.
Old 2016-04-20, 06:18   Link #120
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And like I said in the G Gundam thread, SunDai like to took their time in releasing their Gundam BDs. So I don't think we'll see another release shortly after G Gundam BD got released. IIRC their latest BD was Gundam 0083 and there's a significant amount of time passed between 0083's BD release and G's BD announcement.
What's left to remaster anyway? I guess X, 0080, and SD Gundam? I agree they do spread these releases out, something like one per year.

But yes, this rebroadcast of Unicorn is a low budget, low effort release. There's most likely no ulterior motive beyond making a few extra bucks from the broadcast and another set of blu-Ray collection for the "TV version".