AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-04, 22:49   Link #1901
Nosauz

again, region codes???? I FUCKING HATE DVDs period, whats the point, the world went global with the internet and having time restriction, region restrictions is just plain ASININE. This is the reason for lots of piracy. Really I bought every copy of madden since 94, but I can't legally buy naruto narutomitte 3 or bleach blademasters with it not working or having to pay a god damn excise tax, and having to buy another import ps2. Really I would have had to wait an additional year and a half to play katamari, or stuff like tyco brahe drum master, or dj master. Anyway theres a lot of stuff about the gaming industry that pisses me off but BC is one of the things that really irks me. At least with the god damn pc i know I can play all my games, or at least find possible methods to play them but with ps2 games there is no avail.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 22:51   Link #1902
rg4619

Just to clarify, Sony never developed 100% software emulation (otherwise they'd continue to offer PS2 compatibility in current models). With the second iteration, they emulated the Emotion Engine via software but retained the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 22:57   Link #1903
Nosauz

yes but their method of emulation with ps2 graphics synthesizer allows you to play your ps2 games at resolutions greater than the native ps2 resolutions which makes it a lot more pallatable on your hdtv that you have spent quite a bit to purchase.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:01   Link #1904
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
again, region codes???? I FUCKING HATE DVDs period, whats the point, the world went global with the internet and having time restriction, region restrictions is just plain ASININE. This is the reason for lots of piracy. Really I bought every copy of madden since 94, but I can't legally buy naruto narutomitte 3 or bleach blademasters with it not working or having to pay a god damn excise tax, and having to buy another import ps2. Really I would have had to wait an additional year and a half to play katamari, or stuff like tyco brahe drum master, or dj master. Anyway theres a lot of stuff about the gaming industry that pisses me off but BC is one of the things that really irks me. At least with the god damn pc i know I can play all my games, or at least find possible methods to play them but with ps2 games there is no avail.
With regard to movies, I can understand why region codes are in place. Cinema release schedules are different from country to country.

However, games are another matter in my opinion. I'm not going to pretend that I completely understand how the publishing side of the industry works, but games are mainly home consumer products. With import costs to consider, let the user decide what games to play.

And no, piracy is not exactly a result of region codes. It's a result of economics and the high prices of goods. When one with a limited budget can find a cheap alternative of "relatively" the same quality to the original, it's not that hard to figure out what might happen.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:09   Link #1905
Nosauz

for many in america piracy is because of restrictions and other things that make it less attractive then buying retail, basically think drm. Doesn't mean people won't pirate if there was a service that beat pirating, because lets face it its free. But to developers, those that do matter, the group I mentioned first, is lost income due to treating the a paying customer as a thief instead of a valued customer. But i digress this is way off topic for the ps3 thread.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:48   Link #1906
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Am glad that I bought a PS3 earlier while it still had BC to it. Since I've ended up playing more PSX and PS2 games on it than PS3 games . Though that is slowly changing with the good games that have come out for the system.
Old 2009-04-05, 01:44   Link #1907
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i've already have a ps2, and got a bc 80 gb ps3, now im playing my ps2 games on my big lcd screen

most of my friends got a xbox 360, kinda sad to not play with them
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:47   Link #1908
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post

most of my friends got a xbox 360, kinda sad to not play with them
Nah, it's kinda sad that THEY can't play with you

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:14   Link #1909
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Presently, I'm thinking of sharing a PS3 with a doc friend of mine. He's always busy, so the plan is for him to drop over to my place if he wants to play.

Anyway, is it true that without HDTV, the improvement in graphics for 3 is marginal?
Let's just say the jump from the ps2 to ps3 is huge, but the jump from SDTV to HDTV is even bigger. To be honest if you play single player. You won't mind the low resolution that much, it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay, but for the "omg why is it so pretty" you need a HDTV. For splitscreen like CoD I did mind the low res, since you just see less with 1/4th of a screen. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 07:14   Link #1910
Nosauz

Actually home has to be the most convoluted online system ever. I'm a pc gamer and I just find it completely out of sink with what gamers want, and I have to wait to bowl.... right, sony.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:57   Link #1911
CybEssen
A gentle ripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Actually home has to be the most convoluted online system ever. I'm a pc gamer and I just find it completely out of sink with what gamers want, and I have to wait to bowl.... right, sony.
If that massive advertising gimmick ever gets released that is.
Old 2009-04-05, 14:59   Link #1912
kujoe
from head to heel

Um, isn't it... released already?

Moreover, don't expect Sony to stop the service anytime soon. Apparently, Sony is actually earning money from it. Despite the silliness of Home, it is beneficial to them. They have to keep the online play of the PSN free after all.

And really, they can't stop now. People are criticizing Sony for continuing it and adding content, but if they don't put up new content they will just be criticized for putting out a barren service just the same. Besides, I find complaining about Home pretty useless when I don't even have to use it. It's another catch 22 for Sony, it seems... right along there with the price of the PS3.

Frankly, as long as I have an option of whether to use it or not, I don't really give a damn.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 12:42   Link #1913
Sides

Tales of Vesperia homepage, japanese release date, autumn this year. So 360 pal version will be out eariler, june 2009.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 22:51   Link #1914
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Luckily, I bought my 80GB Metal Gear 4 PS3 bundle (paid $499 for it) which had software BC support which I used alot. I wished that Sony still sold a BC compatible PS3 because PS2 games would look horrible on a HDTV...

But... since the PS3 game library is improving (especially more JRPGs are coming to PS3), I have no complaints.
That's the one i have too. But i brought just for MGS4, i only used the bc once(with Xenosaga). But it's nice to have it. And it came with a voucher for a free pain, so, it was a good deal after all.

Now i'm not playing anything, i don't like fps so killzone is out and for RE5 i didn't like the demo so much...

What i'm really waiting for is Blazblue. That game will kick ass. And maybe a good game at the PSN Store. Since flower nothing good came...
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 23:44   Link #1915
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
That's the one i have too. But i brought just for MGS4, i only used the bc once(with Xenosaga). But it's nice to have it. And it came with a voucher for a free pain, so, it was a good deal after all.

Now i'm not playing anything, i don't like fps so killzone is out and for RE5 i didn't like the demo so much...

What i'm really waiting for is Blazblue. That game will kick ass. And maybe a good game at the PSN Store. Since flower nothing good came...
You didn't like Flowery(sry I got mines at the Japanese PSN Store)!? Or probably read it wrong.. yep I did.

I really recommend Burn Zombie Burn! but that's just me, I like burning zombies very addictive game. You could always try the WipEout HD demo, oh and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online finally have their servers fixed I can finally play online lag-free.
Old 2009-04-08, 03:19   Link #1916
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Burn zombie is really good? A friend of mine said it's nice at the beginning, but it gets dull and boring pretty quickly...

I already have Tekken and Wipeout. Wipeout i played for a loooooong time. I can't even look at it anymore. I played Tekken a lot too, but it's far more replayable than Wipeout and the online is very nice, so, i still play sometimes.

And flower is one of the greatest games i've ever played. Besides MGS4, it's the best game of the PS3, in my opinion. It was a great surprise for me, since i wasn't expecting nothing beyond a good game. The opposite came with Noby Noby boy, i was expecting a really great game, since it's from the same guy who did katamari, brought without hesitation and played for 10 minutes and thought "WTF IS THAT?" It's not bad... But not good either... I don't even think i can call it a game... It just doesn't make any sense.

But i was reading about that Fat Princess and it looks like it's gonna be good. Maybe...
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 08:13   Link #1917
Nosauz

OMG Fat Princess looks like the craziest indie game I've ever seen, I'm sooo freaking excited about it, and its gameplay seems quite interesting.
Old 2009-04-10, 01:16   Link #1918
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Tri-Ace announce RPG

I really wanted it to be an new Valkyrie Profile
Old 2009-04-10, 05:35   Link #1919
ShinGundam

FF 7 on Japan Store for PS3/PSP
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 06:11   Link #1920
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

In the Asian PSN Store as well.

I'll see about getting the FF XIII demo something later next week. Heard it will last some 1.5 hrs.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony