AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-03-31, 15:58   Link #6221
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Ryukishi has dropped the When They Cry title! The next project is the short story Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni... Well that has been going on for some time already, and it seems today is the first of April in Japan.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but check out 07th Expansion's new layout to celebrate this day:
http://www.07th-expansion.net/Main.htm
Not a bad layout, if they decide to keep it. Though the theme probably shouldn't be Higanbana. Unless it is the truth he'll focus on it more. But at least Higanbana couldn't be When They Cry 5.

I'd like a translation of Ryukishi's blog post:
Spoiler for 07th Expansion blog 1.4.2011:

Google translate gave me a line of "writing the truth" or something... Probably just about the fake nature of April Fool's. But maybe...!
Perhaps the final When They Cry series will be called When They Cry... Karera no Naku Koro ni, something like that?
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 16:31   Link #6222
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Ryukishi has dropped the When They Cry title! The next project is the short story Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni... Well that has been going on for some time already, and it seems today is the first of April in Japan.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but check out 07th Expansion's new layout to celebrate this day:
Not a bad layout, if they decide to keep it. Though the theme probably shouldn't be Higanbana. Unless it is the truth he'll focus on it more. But at least Higanbana couldn't be When They Cry 5.

Google translate gave me a line of "writing the truth" or something... Probably just about the fake nature of April Fool's. But maybe...!
Perhaps the final When They Cry series will be called When They Cry... Karera no Naku Koro ni, something like that?
Indeed, the date of the blog disturbs me.

But I notice something about Ougon Musou Kyoku, definitely relating to the CGs and most likely referring to the contest.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 18:45   Link #6223
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post

I'm too lazy to do a full translation at the moment, but here's the highlights:

About the new work:
  • The homepage has been updated with the theme for the new work, which is Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni (On the Night When the Spider Lilies Bloom). More stuff will be added once they get the materials together.
  • Unlike Umineko's uptempo atmosphere, Higanbana is very, very dark.
  • After writing long works for so long, Ryukishi wanted to try short stories, so Higanbana is structured as compilations of short chapters. Each chapter individually is about 1/5 or 1/6 the length of an Umineko episode, but the compilations will have five or six chapters each, so the overall output will be the same.
  • Ryukishi is running behind because of the quake, but he's currently in the middle of writing the third chapter. Originally he intended to be done with the writing in mid-March.
About Ougon Musou Kyoku:
  • They received many more CG submissions than they were expecting. They were especially surprised by the huge number of submissions from overseas.
  • One or two new characters are being finished up, but they haven't been balanced yet. Balancing takes a long time, so it will be a while before Ryukishi considers them ready for general consumption.
About Higu-Umi Live:
  • Ryukishi plans to attend, and will be distributing an Umineko booklet again.
  • He'd like to put together some more new material and release it all in the winter as Umineko Rei.
Old 2011-03-31, 19:06   Link #6224
Sheep_

Isn't Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni the manga he's currently writing thats being released monthly?
Old 2011-03-31, 19:48   Link #6225
GAtakito

Quote:
[*]He'd like to put together some more new material and release it all in the winter as Umineko Rei.
What's Umineko Rei ? Did I miss something ?
GAtakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-31, 22:47   Link #6226
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtakito View Post
What's Umineko Rei ? Did I miss something ?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say an Umineko version of Higurashi Rei.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 06:11   Link #6227
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Thanks for the translation!

Yeah, Higanbana is the manga he's been doing the script for a while. I don't know if he's serious about making it a VN, it's probably just the April's Fool. But if it is an actual project, a short story collection which he'd name Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni... I wouldn't object getting it! He does imply multiple installments, so he'd continue writing short stories and then release compilations at Comikets. But I don't think it could be part of the When They Cry franchise.

If the whole post isn't a joke, looks like Umineko Rei is confirmed. If it's going to be another short story collection, I'd like it to be combined with Tsubasa in a DVD case.

Was the case that Summer Comiket was cancelled due to the earthquake, and that's why the next releases will be available later, in Winter Comiket? I guess that is convenient for Ryukishi. He'll release the last installment of Umineko (and maybe Higanbana?) and Ougon Musou Kyoku 2 next winter, then has some special Higurashi, maybe overall When They Cry, release for Summer Comiket 2012 (Higurashi/When They Cry's 10th anniversary) and then start When They Cry 5 August or December. If it starts in August 2012 it would fit with the Umineko sequence of releases.

Did it mention anything about if the CG request is already over? I hoped I could make some myself too, but maybe I missed the oppoturnity.
Old 2011-04-01, 06:26   Link #6228
UnknownBeast

Umineko Rei? You mean, more canon Umineko? An Umineko epilogue?

And more spoiler avoiding after summer comiket?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH >_<

EDIT: Niiice, I didn't read the blog translation properly. He said winter. This is good. Phew. >_>
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 06:28   Link #6229
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownBeast View Post
Umineko Rei? You mean, more canon Umineko? An Umineko epilogue?

And more spoiler avoiding after summer comiket?????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH >_<
Well, not after summer comiket, if it was indeed cancelled... But after winter yes!
Maybe we'll see Land of the Golden Witch...
Old 2011-04-01, 13:24   Link #6230
sora12

are there plans for compatibility patch in epi 8?
sora12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 14:08   Link #6231
TW25

Quote:
Did it mention anything about if the CG request is already over? I hoped I could make some myself too, but maybe I missed the oppoturnity.
Yes, the deadline was the end of March.

-------------

And since when was Summer Comiket canceled? The Comiket homepage gives no indication of this and I haven't heard about it being cancelled anywhere else.
TW25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 16:45   Link #6232
GyroidFanatic

People were overreacting about a mistranslation. Comiket is letting circles cancel their tables due to the earthquake.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 18:02   Link #6233
CainSonozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
  • The homepage has been updated with the theme for the new work, which is Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni (On the Night When the Spider Lilies Bloom). More stuff will be added once they get the materials together.
  • Unlike Umineko's uptempo atmosphere, Higanbana is very, very dark.
Id like to question ryu for these lines. Umineko uptempo? DARKER than Umineko?

I mean sure Umineko had its light hearted and comedic moments....unless thats what he means that Higanbana will have none of these moments o.o
Right now the time where magic advents.
I am Beatrice-sama! Ahaha"
CainSonozaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 18:08   Link #6234
Zero Sora

Have you even read Higanbana? It's definitely darker than Umineko.
Zero Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 18:37   Link #6235
Madman6510
Child of Man

So, is Higanbana going to be another visual novel? Or is he going straight for a manga this time?

Anyways, "darkness" is pretty subjective, and especially how "scary" something is. I hear all this about Higurashi giving people nightmares, and how they couldn't sleep after watching/reading it (pussies XD), but I don't really even notice the violence that much. I read it because I enjoy the story and characters.

Let's see how well Ryu can go darker without going overboard.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 23:44   Link #6236
ghost_zero5

Anyway: So was/is there any truth to this "news" posted on April 1st?
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 01:20   Link #6237
guro
I like ice cream.

I see even r07 got in on april fools.
guro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 10:51   Link #6238
Rias

I didn't see it on the Higanbana manga thread, so here's a video preview for that.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-04-02, 16:57   Link #6239
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Higanbana VN?
Hmm... To me it didn't work very well as scary material in manga format, but in VN format, maybe... (unless it's some april's fool joke, whatever...)

Last edited by theacefrehley; 2011-04-02 at 17:07.
theacefrehley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 10:50   Link #6240
B.kun

Spoiler:
B.kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation