Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-06-02, 16:57   Link #261
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
bah. baaaaaaaaaaaah.

According to MADBOX twitters, we may get a recap episode some time soon. Meh.

Reading the tweets, looks like they're hoping the break will unload the mad workload the animators put in every week.
If this recap episode was unplanned it could mean they are going to rush the story at some point if they want to end the season somewhere around chapter 33 or 34
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 17:08   Link #262
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
If this recap episode was unplanned it could mean they are going to rush the story at some point if they want to end the season somewhere around chapter 33 or 34
Recaps are freaking useless. No idea why they even do it these days. A simple click on the Internet would find you all the existing episodes. Besides that,it's BORING!Other than that, they can easily do without one useless episode.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 17:21   Link #263
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Recaps are freaking useless. No idea why they even do it these days. A simple click on the Internet would find you all the existing episodes. Besides that,it's BORING!Other than that, they can easily do without one useless episode.
It seems they have production problems which is probably the reason for the recap episode.
Old 2013-06-02, 17:45   Link #264
Kaiba

One thing I'm wondering now about this episode...so why did Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie leave Eren anyways? In light of what we know, they would probably care even more than Armin and Mikasa in making sure he's safe.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 17:52   Link #265
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
One thing I'm wondering now about this episode...so why did Reiner, Bertholdt, and Annie leave Eren anyways? In light of what we know, they would probably care even more than Armin and Mikasa in making sure he's safe.
Just like you said, in hindsight that would seem logical. But remember at that stage we're not supposed to know about those three. Plus it would be odd to have them defending Eren when they weren't even close friends to begin with.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 18:09   Link #266
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
It could be that they haven't yet come to a consensus on what to do with Eren and that's why they chose to wait it out first and see what happens.
Old 2013-06-03, 05:57   Link #267
Breimoon

they probably thought eren would have been made a prisoner to interrogate him.Afterall info on titans is extremly valuable
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 15:29   Link #268
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

SNK Theory

Okay this show has gotten me back into Anime watching again. I've also read all the manga up to the latest chapter. I want to share a bit about my thoughts on the back story of the workd of SNK.

Based on what I've read and my own thoughts, I think mankind had a major war in the past, but somehow a lot of the past history/event were erased from memories of the common folks. I think human-kind was invaded by a group of beings (alien? native? dunno.) like the ape-Titan, and they way they invaded human beings was by infecting humans with some sort of virus/magic/whatever and turn them into mindless Titans. The titans then eats people, and those ape-titans wins easily.

However, I think human beings didn't just go down w/o a fight. I think some smart dudes found a way to control the titan-mutation and thus the intelligent titans were invented. However, they must have lost the war still since it was said that human beings were forced to emigrate to their current location, with the WALLS ALREADY BUILT FOR THEM.

I think what has happened was that the Ape-Titans made a deal with the human leaders - we give u this little piece of land so we can keep u like pets/cattle. We won't invade you anymore but you must:

1. Retire/Kill all your intelligent Titans and use them to create your walls
2. Never venture outside of the walls

So to keep the peace all of mankind is now zoo animals inside these walls. In order to keep human beings inside the walls the King and his folks keep sending out these "scouts" and see to it that they are decimated every time, so that people are just constantly scared of ever leaving the place. All data about the origin of the mindless titans and the ape-titans are erased and people are told propaganda to keep them docile and scared. A new religion was invented to help with the brainwashing effort.

However, there's a group of smart folks still have the knowledge like Eren's dad. He also know show the virus works and how to create intelligent titans. But to keep the peace, he stay quiet, just like those priests.

So why are there a group of Intelligent Titan destroying the walls? They are probably descendants of the remants of the former Intelligent Titan Army human destroyed to keep the peace. They saw that human beings are now like cattles, and they WANT TO WAKE PEOPLE UP. What better way to wake kids like Eren up than to basically, let them remember first hand the horror of being "ruled" under them? So the break the walls and let everyone see how fucked up the situation really is. I think this theme was hinted since page 1 of this manga and the lyrics of the OP - make human remember, wake them up. The prosperity was fake, and peace of the cattle is no peace at all.

The ape-titan we saw in the manga was probably there to investigate the resurrection of these human-titan hybrid, and his action was to lure them out (like how he layed the trap for Ymir) and kill them. He created a bunch of new mindless titan from the folks in Connie's village, and just waited near the walls for them to show up. He can easily scale the walls so we know that the walls was never intended to keep titans like him out, but rather to keep the human in.

So my theory was that all those intelligent titans who was supposed to be the bad-guy in the manga is actually the ONLY GOOD GUYS LEFT, and that they are trying to wake human being up against their ape-Titan masters. To do this deed they allow some human to be killed in order to wake the entire human race up. Now why they just didn't tell everyone all this? I'm not sure but there maybe some good explanation for it. I'm pretty sure the King and his high-end people along with priest of the new fake religion are perfectly aware of the situation, so maybe they need to do this in order to counter the power of the King over the rest of humanity.

Okay this is a little tl;dr. Please poke holes in this as you please. Can't wait for the next chapter.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 15:40   Link #269
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Okay this show has gotten me back into Anime watching again. I've also read all the manga up to the latest chapter. I want to share a bit about my thoughts on the back story of the workd of SNK.

Based on what I've read and my own thoughts, I think mankind had a major war in the past, but somehow a lot of the past history/event were erased from memories of the common folks. I think human-kind was invaded by a group of beings (alien? native? dunno.) like the ape-Titan, and they way they invaded human beings was by infecting humans with some sort of virus/magic/whatever and turn them into mindless Titans. The titans then eats people, and those ape-titans wins easily.

However, I think human beings didn't just go down w/o a fight. I think some smart dudes found a way to control the titan-mutation and thus the intelligent titans were invented. However, they must have lost the war still since it was said that human beings were forced to emigrate to their current location, with the WALLS ALREADY BUILT FOR THEM.

I think what has happened was that the Ape-Titans made a deal with the human leaders - we give u this little piece of land so we can keep u like pets/cattle. We won't invade you anymore but you must:

1. Retire/Kill all your intelligent Titans and use them to create your walls
2. Never venture outside of the walls

So to keep the peace all of mankind is now zoo animals inside these walls. In order to keep human beings inside the walls the King and his folks keep sending out these "scouts" and see to it that they are decimated every time, so that people are just constantly scared of ever leaving the place. All data about the origin of the mindless titans and the ape-titans are erased and people are told propaganda to keep them docile and scared. A new religion was invented to help with the brainwashing effort.

However, there's a group of smart folks still have the knowledge like Eren's dad. He also know show the virus works and how to create intelligent titans. But to keep the peace, he stay quiet, just like those priests.

So why are there a group of Intelligent Titan destroying the walls? They are probably descendants of the remants of the former Intelligent Titan Army human destroyed to keep the peace. They saw that human beings are now like cattles, and they WANT TO WAKE PEOPLE UP. What better way to wake kids like Eren up than to basically, let them remember first hand the horror of being "ruled" under them? So the break the walls and let everyone see how fucked up the situation really is. I think this theme was hinted since page 1 of this manga and the lyrics of the OP - make human remember, wake them up. The prosperity was fake, and peace of the cattle is no peace at all.

The ape-titan we saw in the manga was probably there to investigate the resurrection of these human-titan hybrid, and his action was to lure them out (like how he layed the trap for Ymir) and kill them. He created a bunch of new mindless titan from the folks in Connie's village, and just waited near the walls for them to show up. He can easily scale the walls so we know that the walls was never intended to keep titans like him out, but rather to keep the human in.

So my theory was that all those intelligent titans who was supposed to be the bad-guy in the manga is actually the ONLY GOOD GUYS LEFT, and that they are trying to wake human being up against their ape-Titan masters. To do this deed they allow some human to be killed in order to wake the entire human race up. Now why they just didn't tell everyone all this? I'm not sure but there maybe some good explanation for it. I'm pretty sure the King and his high-end people along with priest of the new fake religion are perfectly aware of the situation, so maybe they need to do this in order to counter the power of the King over the rest of humanity.

Okay this is a little tl;dr. Please poke holes in this as you please. Can't wait for the next chapter.
You still need to incorporate this in your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
http://calorescence.tumblr.com/post/...f-the-japanese

Hey hey anybody out there posted this? The cover of every volume in the japanese version of the manga has some interesting texts written on it.

Quote:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

DID YOU KNOW?

The inside covers of the Japanese graphic novels have text on them. It’s basically the same image for all of the novels, so this isn’t actually a spoiler.

The text turns out to be upside-down nigh-illegible katakana, but the Japanese side of the SnK fanbase has managed to render it into something more readable.

It seems to concern the history of humanity before the walls.

I’m not great at Japanese, but I tried my hand at translation.

*slight changes have been made to wording for clarification*

Upper Left:

巨人の出現により住処を失い逃げ惑う人々。

People fleeing their homes due to the appearance of the Titans.

Lower Left:

巨人の圧倒的な戦力に成す術もなく、人類は新天地への航海を余儀なくされた。このとき人類のほ とんどが死滅 したが、その大半は人同士の手によるのでした。

Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans.

Center (under the volume number):

船に乗れたのはごく少数の権力者たちだけであった。

Those who gained passage aboard the ships were only a small fraction composed of the rich and powerful.

Below Center:

航海は難航を極め、約半数が目的地に到達することなく消息を絶った。

The voyage was rough; about half [of the ships?] vanished without reaching the other shore.

Upper Middle Right:

新天地にはもともと長大な壁が用意された。

In the new world, great walls had previously been prepared.*

Lower Middle Right:

新大陸・・・ここを我々は神聖なるものとして崇める。

This new continent, we shall revere as sacred.

Right:

この壁の中には人類の理想がある。

この壁の中に永久に争いのない世界をつくろう。

Within these walls is the ideal form of humanity.**

Within these walls, let us create a world eternally without strife.

*EDIT: Upon further consideration, changed “originally” to “previously”. In any case, the implication seems to be that the walls were “prepared” some unknown amount of time before the speaker (and the rest of humanity) arrived.

**EDIT: Changed “ideals of humanity” to “ideal form of humanity”. Should be ideal as in idealization, etc.
Old 2013-06-03, 15:44   Link #270
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
You still need to incorporate this in your theory.
I actually did, and that is the major inspiration of my theory. Human beings were forced to sail to a new world where walls have already been built. The whole things sounds like a result of an armistice where the losing side accepted this new prison, and this poem/passage made it sound like it was a great thing. Part of propaganda methinks. The new world is scared? Idealized version of humanity? My theory actually tries to explain why the event of the passage happened.

Part II of my theory:

I got to think a bit more as to why there's such a strong need to keep everyone in the dark, like how the priest rather die than tell the truth. I think it's because either:

A. The ape-titans dictated that the humanity in general be kept dumb, or

B. If the truth got out many people will rebel the order to stay inside and start fighting the ape-titans, resulting in the actual human extinction.

So to tell everyone the truth = End of Humanity. So the King and his priests stay quiet.

But why would Annie and her gang stay quiet and rather lock themselves in a crystal than to spill the beans? Perhaps they have a plan to wake the Wall Titans up and if they reveal too early it will ruin the plan? Whatever it was it must have to do how they plan to fight back against the ape-titan.

There maybe a good reason why Annie her gang wanted Eren so badly - perhaps they don't know how to make Intelligent/Armored/Colossal titans anymore. So maybe their ORIGINAL plan was some how wake the WALL TITANS up (since they can't be made anymore) and use them to fight. Oh that would explain why they need to break the walls! They plan on waking up the Titans inside WALL MARIA! Before they can do that, they need to force human inside Wall Rose so Wall Maria Titans can be awaken w/o effectively exposing everyone inside Wall Maria to mindless Titans. They used the best plan to get people inside Wall Rose w/o telling anyone the truth. Why don't they do it right after Wall Maria was compromised? I'm not sure, maybe they need the Titans inside Wall Rose as well?

However, the existence of Eren changes everything. He is an intelligent Titan created by his dad, who still know how to create them. So after Eren showed up Annie's Group goal changed into kidnapping Eren and find out how he became one. This way they won't need to destroy any more wall to raise more Colossal Intelligent Titans.

Edit: Adding speculation that Ymir/Annie/Reiner/Bertolt being Intelligent Titans may have granted them immortality (that is they never ages), they could actually be veterans of the initial fight against the ape-Titans by the Intelligent Titan Army. Meaning the Wall Titans ARE THEIR BROTHERS IN ARMS. For some reason they didn't become part of the Wall, and now their action in breaking the wall/freeing the Wall Titans may take on additional dimension of them trying to free their fellow soldiers from a fate worse than death itself. Now their actions made more sense than before. This would also explain why are they so DAMN GOOD at fighting when they were supposed to be fresh meat like Eren and Mikasa.

I am also willing to bet that the Reiner and Bertolt's home village is NOT ON THIS CONTINENT. It's on the old continent humanity fled from. That's why they keep talking about returning it like it's kind of an impossible dream - they can only return if humanity totally defeat the ape-Titans.

An aspect of this theory I like is how the walls which kept human-being imprisoned IS ACTUALLY THE WEAPON THEY NEEDED to fight back.

Edit 2: Adding the reason why Ymir's group waited 100 years to act - So that no one alive can recognize them anymore. Everyone who knew their past ID has either died or become a mindless Titan. Now they are free to be newbie grunts again, even though they are ancient and battle-hardened.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2013-06-04 at 01:50.
Old 2013-06-03, 22:43   Link #271
Dread Fox

Quote:
I actually did, and that is the major inspiration of my theory. Human beings were forced to sail to a new world where walls have already been built. The whole things sounds like a result of an armistice where the losing side accepted this new prison, and this poem/passage made it sound like it was a great thing. Part of propaganda methinks. The new world is scared? Idealized version of humanity? My theory actually tries to explain why the event of the passage happened.

Part II of my theory:

I got to think a bit more as to why there's such a strong need to keep everyone in the dark, like how the priest rather die than tell the truth. I think it's because either:

A. The ape-titans dictated that the humanity in general be kept dumb, or

B. If the truth got out many people will rebel the order to stay inside and start fighting the ape-titans, resulting in the actual human extinction.

So to tell everyone the truth = End of Humanity. So the King and his priests stay quiet.

But why would Annie and her gang stay quiet and rather lock themselves in a crystal than to spill the beans? Perhaps they have a plan to wake the Wall Titans up and if they reveal too early it will ruin the plan? Whatever it was it must have to do how they plan to fight back against the ape-titan.

There maybe a good reason why Annie her gang wanted Eren so badly - perhaps they don't know how to make Intelligent/Armored/Colossal titans anymore. So maybe their ORIGINAL plan was some how wake the WALL TITANS up (since they can't be made anymore) and use them to fight. Oh that would explain why they need to break the walls! They plan on waking up the Titans inside WALL MARIA! Before they can do that, they need to force human inside Wall Rose so Wall Maria Titans can be awaken w/o effectively exposing everyone inside Wall Maria to mindless Titans. They used the best plan to get people inside Wall Rose w/o telling anyone the truth. Why don't they do it right after Wall Maria was compromised? I'm not sure, maybe they need the Titans inside Wall Rose as well?

However, the existence of Eren changes everything. He is an intelligent Titan created by his dad, who still know how to create them. So after Eren showed up Annie's Group goal changed into kidnapping Eren and find out how he became one. This way they won't need to destroy any more wall to raise more Colossal Intelligent Titans.

Edit: Adding speculation that Ymir/Annie/Reiner/Bertolt being Intelligent Titans may have granted them immortality (that is they never ages), they could actually be veterans of the initial fight against the ape-Titans by the Intelligent Titan Army. Meaning the Wall Titans ARE THEIR BROTHERS IN ARMS. For some reason they didn't become part of the Wall, and now their action in breaking the wall/freeing the Wall Titans may take on additional dimension of them trying to free their fellow soldiers from a fate worse than death itself. Now their actions made more sense than before. This would also explain why are they so DAMN GOOD at fighting when they were supposed to be fresh meat like Eren and Mikasa.

I am also willing to bet that the Reiner and Bertolt's home village is NOT ON THIS CONTINENT. It's on the old continent humanity fled from. That's why they keep talking about returning it like it's kind of an impossible dream - they can only return if humanity totally defeat the ape-Titans.

An aspect of this theory I like is how the walls which kept human-being imprisoned IS ACTUALLY THE WEAPON THEY NEEDED to fight back.
Created an account just to say #1 Attack on Titan has returned me to anime as well since it's been a long time since I enjoyed it and #2 love your theory.

The ape titan does appear to be like checking up on things as if he has heard rumblings of humans leaving the wall often and wants to see what's going on. When he inspects the maneuvering gear it is apparent he has been gone awhile and is amused by what the humans have come up with in his absence.

I think the wall was built and humans kept inside as part of some agreement with the ape titan or others like him. Eren mentions they are like cattle in defiance but I think that is actually true.

Cannot wait for the story to unveil even further and for things to be either debunked or verified.
Dread Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 22:59   Link #272
jeroz
Art Block Specialist

think they will do 2 chapters per episode in the next two episodes to finish up the Trost arc on ep11
Old 2013-06-03, 23:05   Link #273
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Oh that would explain why they need to break the walls!
But they never did. So far they only destroyed the gates, even though they are by far better guarded and fortified than any other portion of the walls.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 01:37   Link #274
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
But they never did. So far they only destroyed the gates, even though they are by far better guarded and fortified than any other portion of the walls.
You are right, and that's the part I haven't figure out yet. Maybe just simply destroying Maria is not enough for some reason. They need the Titans in the other walls? By breaking the wall I meant to say - they plan on taking down the entire wall and freeing all the Wall Titans inside.

They can only destroy the gates if they want to keep the secret of the Wall Titans intact. If they just ram the wall itself, I don't think they will kill the Titan inside, but everyone will surely see the OTHER colossal titans right inside their own wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Fox View Post
Created an account just to say #1 Attack on Titan has returned me to anime as well since it's been a long time since I enjoyed it and #2 love your theory.

The ape titan does appear to be like checking up on things as if he has heard rumblings of humans leaving the wall often and wants to see what's going on. When he inspects the maneuvering gear it is apparent he has been gone awhile and is amused by what the humans have come up with in his absence.

I think the wall was built and humans kept inside as part of some agreement with the ape titan or others like him. Eren mentions they are like cattle in defiance but I think that is actually true.

Cannot wait for the story to unveil even further and for things to be either debunked or verified.
Thanks! The ape-Titan's total confidence in his control of the mindless Titans and his lack of (current) knowledge of something as basic as the 3DMG means he's probably in charge of the place but hasn't visited for a while. Kinda like a zookeeper who didn't bother to clean the animal pen for a while cus he got lazy.

Here's I am also speculating: There's no mindless Titans other than land right outside the walls, as the only purpose they serve now for is to scare the human so they will stay put. When mindless Titan population runs low either through killings or some other natural reason of death, the ape-Titan simply kidnap more humans and turn them into mindless Titans, faking the appearance of "there's a shitload of them out there and they never die!" Perhaps the King and the "zookeeper" ape-Titan has a way of communication, even.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2013-06-04 at 01:48.
Old 2013-06-04, 03:35   Link #275
Dread Fox

Yeah anything is possible. Ape Titan seemed to have no desire to eat a human so we know his motives have nothing to do with that.

The origin of the Ape Titan or *true* titans could be anything from an advanced alien species to true demons from beneath the Earth. Alien titans could have genetically altered humans to be mindless titans and construct the wall or demon titan theory could be they possessed humans and they mutated to mindless titans.

Maybe aliens saw we were destroying the Earth and devised all this to keep us locked away so we would stop. I don't know. Only reason my mind is coming up with that is the 1st episode (I think) specifically stated this story takes place 2000 years from now. So....why? What's the point in us knowing this is our future? Could just be a story like most anime that takes place god knows when god knows where and not our reality.

Did humans get to the brink of destroying ourselves? Our planet? Did we need to be caged up and given something to fear other than each other so we'd survive as a species?

Interesting stuff.
Old 2013-06-04, 07:33   Link #276
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
They can only destroy the gates if they want to keep the secret of the Wall Titans intact. If they just ram the wall itself, I don't think they will kill the Titan inside, but everyone will surely see the OTHER colossal titans right inside their own wall.
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they care to keep it a secret if their objective is to wake those titans in the first place.

It's not like the population can think "let's kill the titans inside the walls!", that would pretty mean to destroy the walls themselves.

The fact that they are aiming for the gates specifically could have different explanations. One could be that perhaps they can't destroy walls since they are sturdier (though Annie was able to damage them with ease).
But it could also be because they don't want to wake the colossal titans. It's a possibility that should be considered imho.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 11:14   Link #277
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would they care to keep it a secret if their objective is to wake those titans in the first place.

It's not like the population can think "let's kill the titans inside the walls!", that would pretty mean to destroy the walls themselves.

The fact that they are aiming for the gates specifically could have different explanations. One could be that perhaps they can't destroy walls since they are sturdier (though Annie was able to damage them with ease).
But it could also be because they don't want to wake the colossal titans. It's a possibility that should be considered imho.
Yes, we don't know much about the relationships between Ymir's gang and the Wall Titan yet - almost everything I've stated is speculation. My theory says that perhaps there's a reason why they do not want to wake them yet - I think they did it because the time is not right yet. We do know they also wanted to breach Wall Rose (stopped by Eren) so perhaps they needed both or all 3 walls to be breached before they can wake them up.

Maybe Annie opened up that hole on the wall on purpose, as a last ditched attempt at revealing the truth when she thought she was going to be captured for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Fox View Post
Y

Maybe aliens saw we were destroying the Earth and devised all this to keep us locked away so we would stop. I don't know. Only reason my mind is coming up with that is the 1st episode (I think) specifically stated this story takes place 2000 years from now. So....why? What's the point in us knowing this is our future? Could just be a story like most anime that takes place god knows when god knows where and not our reality.

Did humans get to the brink of destroying ourselves? Our planet? Did we need to be caged up and given something to fear other than each other so we'd survive as a species?

Interesting stuff.
Good point, I didn't think about that too much... but it seemed logical perhaps the ape-Titan was trying to SAVE us from ourselves and allow most of us to be eaten by ourselves is just good population control practice. If they are us and this is our future, then your theory might be correct. This maybe a story of an Alien race trying to save Earth from us, and then decided let us survive in a cage out of the goodness of their hearts under "adult" supervision. This maybe why the mindless Titans are strictly anti-human weapons and doesn't harm all other living things and in fact doesn't even take any resource other than sun light to keep alive. The ultimate Green Creature if there ever was one.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:21   Link #278
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I like the theory the anime guys have on why Eren turned into a titan "He needed intense pain.".........if only they saw Annie transform :P
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 13:07   Link #279
Dread Fox

Quote:
Good point, I didn't think about that too much... but it seemed logical perhaps the ape-Titan was trying to SAVE us from ourselves and allow most of us to be eaten by ourselves is just good population control practice. If they are us and this is our future, then your theory might be correct. This maybe a story of an Alien race trying to save Earth from us, and then decided let us survive in a cage out of the goodness of their hearts under "adult" supervision. This maybe why the mindless Titans are strictly anti-human weapons and doesn't harm all other living things and in fact doesn't even take any resource other than sun light to keep alive. The ultimate Green Creature if there ever was one.
Yeah that's another thing as well, titans ignore other animals and just leave them alone. Titans also have no real need to eat anything and can't reproduce. It's like they were designed to be nothing more than figures to keep us humans afraid (and thankful for the *cage* we live in) and be very efficient at killing any of us that leave the wall.

So yeah, something with population control and protecting us from ourselves is going on here.

I wouldn't be surprised if when Eren and company finally get to the true outside world (like traverse the sea to other lands) they find it is inhabited by ape like titans, thousands of them. I'm thinking a titan will explain to them this is their planet now and the decision was made to not eradicate the human species completely. So they built the wall and out of mercy allowed us to live there. Due to the uprising from before they had to find a way to keep the humans inside so the *dumb* titans were created as like sheep herders. Knowing humans would never stop fighting back the ape titans made a deal with religious and political leaders to hide the truth and keep the fear alive.
Old 2013-06-04, 13:31   Link #280
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Theory Part III

Okay maybe some of you are tired of me writing this but I gotta put it down somewhere..

So Dread Fox brought up the possibility that this show may have a sci-fi bent to it in that the setting is our distant future in which humanity has "revert" back somehow to a quasi-steam punk level of technology, in which we have access to gas/steam powered machinery and gun powder, but no electricity or internal combustible engine. I mean if we have current level of technology, we could probably defeat them with relative ease. So, how did we get here? How did we lose our tech and got beatened by a bunch of brain-dead big-ass zombies?

So I read the inside cover passage again and I was looking at this part:

Quote:
巨人の圧倒的な戦力に成す術もなく、人類は新天地への航海を余儀なくされた。このとき人類のほ とんどが死滅 したが、その大半は人同士の手によるのでした。

Unable to match the overwhelming force of the Titans, humanity was forced to sail to a new world. At this time, most of humanity had been annihilated, but the majority of this was at the hands of their fellow humans.
So the key is the last sentence - "most of humanity had been annihilated, but at the hand of their fellow humans". Okay, it specifically said the Titan DIDN'T kill the most of the human-kind, but rather that by the time the Titans attacked, WE ALREADY KILLED MOST OF OUR OWN PEOPLE.

So this is basically telling me, by the time the Titans got here, Earth was in some post-apocalyptic state, either due to man-made environmental disaster or another world-war. Most of humanity has died and the entire world was probably a shit hole with factions of nations still fighting each other. The environment was probably toxic and an ecological disaster was happening or on its way. In another words, we fucked up our world badly.

So either a group of Aliens (ap-Titans) OR a small group of smart folks (creator of ape-Titan and associated Titan tech) decided that humankind was unfit to be the the sole owner of our world, and in order to save it, humanity has to be destroyed. But somehow for one reason or another, they do not want to extinct human species. Thus they came up with a plan.

First, they basically turned a part of the humanity that's left into Titans and have them start eating each other. This is a very simple way of self-cleaning. Why weren't modern weapons used to defend against the Titans, I'm not sure; maybe human beings were too weak to fight back; maybe we have reverted back to a more primitive state after the apocalypse, where a lot of advanced tech was lost. Either way, the group who created the Titans successfully reduced humanity to a small, manageable number.

But the humans started to fight back with the invention of the Intelligent Titans, and maybe even winning some battles. However, something happened which ensured total victory for the ape-Titan kind (new ape-Titan secret weapon? Personal threats to those in power so defeat was snatched from jaws of victory?), and forced human being to:

1. Surrender your weapon (the colossal Titan army) and force them into hibernation. Use them to create a new 3 wall prison we setup for you on a specific location (previously unmanned? not sure where this is).

2. Move whomever u can into those walls and stay inside. Those who cannot make it will be eliminated. A mass migration ensued and many were killed trying to reach the new safe haven. Most of those who made it were the rich and the powerful.

3. Human who stayed inside these walls are never to exit. It's up to you how you do it, but your race will be totally exterminated if you decide to re-populate the Earth again.

So a new "Monarchy" was setup and given absolute power over the cattle human colony. History/Information/Books about the past and the truth were destroyed and forbidden. New propaganda and religion was used to brainwash people into fearing to ever leave the walls and that living inside the walls is the best for everyone. Only certain kinds of technology were permitted. "Demo" Titans were left outside the walls to scare the populace. Regular suicide missions were to be sent out by the Monarchy to help strike fear into the dumb-ed down population. The rest of the Earth is now free of humanity and allowed to be healed.

So if human-beings ever decided to rise up and use their Colossal Titans to fight back, they will lose their defense at the same time and the civilians will be eaten before the Titan Army can win this thing. Since the method of creating them is lost, that seemed to be the only option. Humanity is destined to be behind a cage forever.

However, a group of renegade Titan-Army soldiers (Ymir/Annie/Reiner/Bertolt) somehow escaped being made into Wall Titans, and due to their immortal state as a Titan, they waited for a chance to rise up again against the group (ape-Titan/Aliens/whatever) who did this to all of humanity. They came up with a plan to raise the Titan Army with minimal lost of civilian population - slowly forcing them inside each of the 3 walls. They know a huge chunk of humanity will die in the process, but if the end goal is to freedom from slavery for all mankind, then they are willing to make the sacrifice for the greater good.

After 100 years and everyone who knew them have died, the group executed their plans. They were to slowly push human-being back inside the Wall Sina, and then wake the Wall Titans inside Wall Maria and Rose. However, during their attack on Wall Rose, they realized that a NEW Intelligent Titan has appeared - Eren. Knowing that he must hold the key to create a new army of Intelligent Titans, the group changed their plans and now tries to kidnap Eren in full force. And this is where we are now in the story.

Okay this is my current theory - please feel free to add or poke holes in it.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2013-06-04 at 14:06.