AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-10-07, 00:20   Link #21
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Spoiler for ep1:
__________________

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 00:22   Link #22
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
I haven't watched any of the older Kino no Tabi stuff. Should I? This seems to be well regarded though, can someone explain the appeal? I have just watched the first episode and am not sure about yet.
Coincidentally, I just found the original series a few days ago, and I've been asking myself that same question. According to Wikipedia, this week's new episode was not a remake of a story from the original series, so it's not a total overlap. How many stories show up in both remain to be seen.

Now, a question - Is there going to be a consensus in this thread for what pronouns to use for Kino? It's my understanding that Kino was born female, but as we saw, now presents as male and uses the male "boku" pronoun. The plot summary at the top of this thread, on the other hand, refers to Kino as "she." And just to make things even more complicated, I've already read one reviewer who was complaining that Crunchyroll didn't use a singular "they."
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 00:49   Link #23
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Coincidentally, I just found the original series a few days ago, and I've been asking myself that same question. According to Wikipedia, this week's new episode was not a remake of a story from the original series, so it's not a total overlap. How many stories show up in both remain to be seen.

Now, a question - Is there going to be a consensus in this thread for what pronouns to use for Kino? It's my understanding that Kino was born female, but as we saw, now presents as male and uses the male "boku" pronoun. The plot summary at the top of this thread, on the other hand, refers to Kino as "she." And just to make things even more complicated, I've already read one reviewer who was complaining that Crunchyroll didn't use a singular "they."
You make it sound like females can't use "boku"...
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 01:05   Link #24
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You make it sound like females can't use "boku"...
Well yes, I know some do. There is that.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 02:23   Link #25
BloodyKitty
Aloof Traveler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Coincidentally, I just found the original series a few days ago, and I've been asking myself that same question. According to Wikipedia, this week's new episode was not a remake of a story from the original series, so it's not a total overlap. How many stories show up in both remain to be seen.
From the interview with the LN author, the new series is mixing both adapted chapters from the previous anime (maybe the ones mainly related to recurring characters' background) and new chapters from the LN, so newcomers can watch the new series alright, and old fans can have something new to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Now, a question - Is there going to be a consensus in this thread for what pronouns to use for Kino? It's my understanding that Kino was born female, but as we saw, now presents as male and uses the male "boku" pronoun. The plot summary at the top of this thread, on the other hand, refers to Kino as "she." And just to make things even more complicated, I've already read one reviewer who was complaining that Crunchyroll didn't use a singular "they."
Oh my, this can be a landmine topic for some certain people . Now I personally just call Kino "Kino", many people use "she" after knowing Kino's biological gender, and there are people argue to call "they". For the reason why Kino use "boku" and wears more like "male", I think you should wait for Kino's flashback episodes for more discussion , though that still depends on whether they will adapt those.
__________________
The fact that you cry
The fact that you lose your temper
The fact that you get angry
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 06:30   Link #26
Ghostfriendly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
I haven't watched any of the older Kino no Tabi stuff. Should I? This seems to be well regarded though, can someone explain the appeal? I have just watched the first episode and am not sure about yet.
One of the most thoughtful and philosophical anime out there, beating Ghost in the Shell by quite a margin. Multi-faceted and ambiguous parables in each episode's new country, plus a tough and thoughtful leading lady with her snarky talking motorbike. The pace is often quite relaxed, with pastoral scenery, a little humour, and some good action, but a fairly consistent theme of death and human cruelty. Unlike a series where evil has to be defeated, though, Kino thoughtfully accepts the good and bad of everything she meets. She's far from inactive, helps some people but not others, as she travels, and when she does show emotion you know it's serious.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 07:05   Link #27
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Love the Gatekeepers's look a when Kino still yes in-matter-fact way even after all he just said.



Good first episode. One of biggest benefits about the KnT series being episodic (the individual stories do progress linearly however...) is that you don't have watch first season jump right in this, though you should anyway since it's good.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 07:30   Link #28
Dop
Mmmm....
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
So it looks like they might be following the lead of the old series by not showing us Kino's back-story (which the first book started with) until a few episodes in?
That's a good (and chilling) story so I hope they're going to include it to show new viewers where Kino came from and why they travel.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 09:29   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
The thing I really loved about the original series was how every place she visited was always presented in a very neutral, non-judgmental fashion. The story really tries to avoid imposing some idea of universal norms, instead showing the cultures of each area she visits very matter-of-fact-ly, even the ones where their daily lives and laws feel very idiosyncratic. Like this one.

Great first episode.

That said I had completely forgotten that Hermes talks and people she meets find this natural. I think I need a refresher course of the first season.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 10:20   Link #30
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
So it looks like they might be following the lead of the old series by not showing us Kino's back-story (which the first book started with) until a few episodes in?
That's a good (and chilling) story so I hope they're going to include it to show new viewers where Kino came from and why they travel.
is this a reboot or a sequel? Since if its a sequel, don't need to show her backstory again.
I hear the first episode is anime original, so that was pretty good. It managed to catch the feel of the other stories, wonder how many originals we're going to have this season.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 10:59   Link #31
Dop
Mmmm....
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
is this a reboot or a sequel? Since if its a sequel, don't need to show her backstory again.
I hear the first episode is anime original, so that was pretty good. It managed to catch the feel of the other stories, wonder how many originals we're going to have this season.
I get the impression it's a bit of both, redoing some chapters (i.e. next week's episode for a start) and adapting previously unadapted stuff.
It's a long time since the old series, so I'd not be surprised if they do show the backstory as it's an important part of the character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
From the interview with the LN author, the new series is mixing both adapted chapters from the previous anime (maybe the ones mainly related to recurring characters' background) and new chapters from the LN, so newcomers can watch the new series alright, and old fans can have something new to look forward to.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 12:33   Link #32
Kamieichi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013

Next episode preview tells that this is a reboot.

Actually which episodes from the novel will be animated has already been announced.
https://twitter.com/kinonotabianime/...57016801320961 (Spoiler if you can read Japanese.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I hear the first episode is anime original, so that was pretty good. It managed to catch the feel of the other stories, wonder how many originals we're going to have this season.
No, it's not anime original. The future episodes are not too.
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 12:41   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
I'd consider this series a partial reboot, in that they'll try to make it friendly to new viewers by reintroducing the side characters and probably retelling Kino's backstory while at the same time limiting the numbers of "duplicate" episodes/stories as much as possible. I think the majority of episodes will be new, meaning the first series will still remain a must watch since it will have stories the new series will never adapt.

But maybe the list posted above proves me totally wrong.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 12:44   Link #34
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Oh my, this can be a landmine topic for some certain people .
I know. That's why I brought it up. I figured, "might as well rip off the bandaid and get it over with."

Quote:
Now I personally just call Kino "Kino", many people use "she" after knowing Kino's biological gender, and there are people argue to call "they". For the reason why Kino use "boku" and wears more like "male", I think you should wait for Kino's flashback episodes for more discussion , though that still depends on whether they will adapt those.
I have a godson who used to be my goddaughter. He uses masculine pronouns, so that's what I'm used to. On the other hand, I also know people who use the singular "they," though from a purely aesthetic standpoint I find that awkward and clunky. Then again, I'm old.

If Kino was a real person, we could just ask, "What pronouns do you go by?" Unfortunately, that's not an option, so we'll just have to guess. Like I said, coming from my experiences it feels most natural to use "he" - but it's not a big deal, so in the end I'll go with whatever the board consensus is.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 13:07   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 31
I've been referring to Kino as a she for more than a decade, I'm not going to change now. Kino herself certainly doesn't seem to care what gender people think she is.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 13:33   Link #36
ArrowSmith
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I would like to live in a town like that. Civility is enforced by the citizens, not a goose-stepping police force.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 14:34   Link #37
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
an old NRA slogan comes to mind: A Armed society is a Polite society.
Yes, but there are two major caveats. First, no one has military-style assault weapons. I only saw handguns and single-shot rifles. Second, there's an underlying social contract in place. No one shoots first, but only shoots after a clear and present threat appears. I doubt the NRA would like either of those points.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 16:39   Link #38
James Rye
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Sounds like the first guy should have traveled to the country where the second guy came from. Love how he thought asking if that country is serving huge mountains of crepes is weird. XD

I think I gonna watch the 2003 series, maybe the movies as well. The first episode got me hooked, feels like a good series to me.
__________________
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 18:26   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Like everyone said, it's a great first episode for the new Kino series. Sure it's not as stylish and the new Kino is (debatably) not as adorable as the one in the 2003, but this new anime is a lot more beautiful and detailed to look at compared to the (intentionally?) drab and simplistic visual of the 2003 anime that's only meant for SD instead of HD. This new Kino surely make good use of the HD era to make a visual that's a lot more natural, detailed and realistic while the old series looks like a world of simplified paintings. Both are good in their own ways, but I surely prefer this new Kino to play on my HDTV than the older one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've been referring to Kino as a she for more than a decade, I'm not going to change now. Kino herself certainly doesn't seem to care what gender people think she is.
I'd say with episode 01 of the 2003 anime (way back then) where Hermes worried that Kino was about to accept the pseudo-proposal from the telepathic guy after he broke up with his old wife, the old show already established that Kino is female. At least other characters in her universe see her as such even with her boyish outer look.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 19:52   Link #40
SeaDoor
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeastern US
That was... just fine! I was kind of worried going in but the first episode was spot on. Now looking forward to the remaining episodes.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reboot

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.