AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-23, 21:44   Link #141
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
@ seaghyn16:

Requesting a teaser for a certain title! May I? I think you might be able to guess for which title before I can even tell

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 02:32   Link #142
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@NeoSam: Darn...look at that...O_o I know the table layout works, as evidenced on other pages, but for some reason, when the text is in the same box, IE can't recognize it as underneath, and puts it to the side...so either I'll have to make a giant space between the image and the title, or else tell people: "Don't Use IE!!" lol...any ideas?

@Assasin: A title for recommendation...how the heck am I supposed to know O_o ^_^. i checked the b-t forums looking for a hint, i've got nothing. hmm...i even checked the wordpress site...the only thing i can think of is..."9S?"

@Ryuou: I already had that site bookmarked ^_^. Really helps out ^_^ and que interjections for DB, haha. can you tell me what it is about that site? i don't know much about it yet.
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 02:38   Link #143
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
@Assasin: A title for recommendation...how the heck am I supposed to know O_o ^_^. i checked the b-t forums looking for a hint, i've got nothing. hmm...i even checked the wordpress site...the only thing i can think of is..."9S?"
Ah, sorry. It's Mystic Museum

Old 2009-03-24, 04:57   Link #144
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

OH! A TEASER...not a synopsis, a teaser...lol, even though you wrote that I didn't think of it...haha. I really thought you meant synopsis, my bad O_o

I was going to add it to the poll, but while searching for books on the site I've got, I can't find the raws. So until I can get them, there's not much I can do.

As for the previously voted choice that won somehow, Kaguya, I'm 4 pages in. The interesting thing is, this book has a prologue, as does Dragon Crisis! So I'm thinking of just translating it all. The problem is though:

It's 21 pages long. I've got 4 pages done now. I could wait until the whole thing is done, then post it, but that might take until next week. (for the record, the Accel World teaser was I think 3 novel pages, but had more text.)

How does the prologue translation seem? I've realized that even though I say "Teaser" it really isn't much, what I've translated before. so I'm thinking what I'll do from now on is do a longer translation, but instead of putting it out the day after the poll, it will come out the day the next poll ends. For example, it should start to work like this.

1) Last Week Monday Night: Vote on the Poll for a Teaser you want to see.
(instant teaser released, 2 pages Accel World. I knew it was going to win, so started early, lol)

2) Yesterday Monday Night: Vote on the next Poll for a teaser you want to see.

3) Next Monday Night: Read the teaser from 2's poll(kaguya - 20 pages), and vote on next poll.

4) monday night after that one: read the teaser from 3's poll, and vote on next poll.

etc etc.

How does this sound?
Old 2009-03-24, 14:55   Link #145
NeoSam

Quote:
@NeoSam: Darn...look at that...O_o I know the table layout works, as evidenced on other pages, but for some reason, when the text is in the same box, IE can't recognize it as underneath, and puts it to the side...so either I'll have to make a giant space between the image and the title, or else tell people: "Don't Use IE!!" lol...any ideas?
Yeah, its better to use Firefox. I remember IE giving lots of problems with the LN.org site, especially with the adjustments of text >_>
Old 2009-03-24, 17:10   Link #146
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
@Ryuou: I already had that site bookmarked ^_^. Really helps out ^_^ and que interjections for DB, haha. can you tell me what it is about that site? i don't know much about it yet.
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask me here.

@ NeoSam - My only problem with that site would be how it's organized. If the database could be organized in a more visually appealing way, that'd be nice. Unfortunately I'm not really sure on the specifics.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 17:31   Link #147
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask me here.

@ NeoSam - My only problem with that site would be how it's organized. If the database could be organized in a more visually appealing way, that'd be nice. Unfortunately I'm not really sure on the specifics.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That is the reason why I opted for the wiki style site, it can be configured to look the way you want, and also has a professional look to it, and can be updated by anyone.

I might make the example page look plain >_< since there's lots of options that I have no idea how to use >_< please bare with me and give me your advice to make it as appealing and professional looking as possible >_<
Old 2009-03-24, 19:43   Link #148
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Quote:
I was going to add it to the poll, but while searching for books on the site I've got, I can't find the raws. So until I can get them, there's not much I can do.
... I have them (for the first volume), if you're okay with scans and not a typed document >_<

But that's as far as I can tell.

Old 2009-03-24, 23:52   Link #149
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. That is the reason why I opted for the wiki style site, it can be configured to look the way you want, and also has a professional look to it, and can be updated by anyone.

I might make the example page look plain >_< since there's lots of options that I have no idea how to use >_< please bare with me and give me your advice to make it as appealing and professional looking as possible >_<
Are you going to have someone oversee the site to make sure the “anyone can update it” feature isn't abused?

Haha, I'm no expert in this area by any means but I'll try and advise as best I can.

I’m probably sure you’ve thought of this already, but I think it’d be nice to have certain things linked to the respective novel pages. A link to where to buy the original, a link to buy the English version if it’s available, and a link to a translation project if it’s underway. And then I guess the teasers and reviews will be on the pages themselves?
Old 2009-03-25, 14:25   Link #150
NeoSam

Quote:
Are you going to have someone oversee the site to make sure the “anyone can update it” feature isn't abused?
At first it will be me, but hopefully with time other people will join. Just like wikipedia it will be abused no matter what, but with enough people those abuses can be reversed

Quote:
Haha, I'm no expert in this area by any means but I'll try and advise as best I can.
Nah, no need to be an expert, just your comments on how to make the site better suitable for a light novel database are enough.

Quote:
I’m probably sure you’ve thought of this already, but I think it’d be nice to have certain things linked to the respective novel pages. A link to where to buy the original, a link to buy the English version if it’s available, and a link to a translation project if it’s underway. And then I guess the teasers and reviews will be on the pages themselves?
Once the site is up and running we'll have to set up rules for what links/references can be added, and what can't be added >_< I'll go into more details about this once the site is up and running >_<
Old 2009-03-25, 22:13   Link #151
feRfe

暗闇にヤギを探して
best one i've read, 3 volumes
feRfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 00:58   Link #152
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by feRfe View Post
暗闇にヤギを探して
best one i've read, 3 volumes
Haha, there hasn't been a post related to this thread's purpose in a while. Way to keep things fresh.

@ NeoSam - Ryoukai.
Old 2009-03-26, 09:30   Link #153
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Almost done with the teaser. 16 pages done, just 5 more to go. Either that will be after work tomorrow, or saturday evening sometime. That's when I should be done.

And honestly, Kaguya does seem to be interesting. Anyway, this is going to be a huge teaser. Yay for 21 pages O_o. Usually that's around 1/3 of a 4 chapter book, or 1/2 of a 5-6 chapter book. lol.

And, to keep with this threads policies,

Spoiler for Kaguya Synopsis:

For a link, here's the page: http://www.light-novels.info/titles/Kaguya.html

And by saturday, there should be a teaser up here: http://www.light-novels.info/teasers.html

except much longer than the ones there now
Old 2009-03-27, 06:38   Link #154
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Cloudy From Page 6
Quote:
Wonder if anyone here read OtoXMaho.

A mahou trap seems to be a novel idea.
I just came across this on a youtube video (of the novel), and it seems that even though this is the picuture:

That's not a girl, but a guy...O_o

I haven't double checked yet, but that's what they were saying, lol...
Old 2009-03-27, 06:46   Link #155
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:

That's not a girl, but a guy...O_o
Trap!
Old 2009-03-27, 09:26   Link #156
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Oh...that's what you meant by ... "trap."

haha...I thought it dealt with...actually, it makes perfect sense now O_o

On another note, the teaser has been posted for Kaguya.

Here's the link to the teaser page:

http://www.light-novels.info/teasers.html

And here's the link that will take you directly to the pdf file, which can be read online/downloaded at your own convenience.

http://www.light-novels.info/teasers/Kaguya.pdf

Enjoy , and don't forget to...well, not like you can leave back or anything anyplace cept here I guess O_o
Old 2009-03-27, 19:32   Link #157
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Yay, pictures are back. I'm going to hold off on reading any teasers you put out so as not to tempt myself into buying any more novels. I have 50+ novels and I haven't finished 1 so there's not much room to get distracted, haha. I’ll still vote though. Man, I need to get reading.

And what is with the fascination of traps? I just don't understand how they can be popular among guys. I mean, popular among girls I can kind of get, but why are guys interested in guys that look like girls?
Old 2009-03-28, 09:23   Link #158
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
And here's the link that will take you directly to the pdf file, which can be read online/downloaded at your own convenience.

http://www.light-novels.info/teasers/Kaguya.pdf

Enjoy , and don't forget to...well, not like you can leave back or anything anyplace cept here I guess O_o
Thanks a lot for your time and effort in translating the teaser. The story looks pretty interesting.

Btw it may be a good idea to add a link to the review page in the pdf files. As pdf files are highly portable and can easily be spread around the net, there are chances that people may get the files elsewhere, get interested in the stories, but cannot find further information about the books.

Quote:
And what is with the fascination of traps? I just don't understand how they can be popular among guys. I mean, popular among girls I can kind of get, but why are guys interested in guys that look like girls?
Because they are essentially girls .

You can easily create a cute and pretty looking girl in the fictional world and make her a boy/android/alien/monster/pixie/dragon/(insert creature name) in the official settings. But she is still a girl in the readers' subconscious, regardless of the settings.

(OOT: There are loli eroge with official settings claiming that everyone is over 18 in order to circumvent the law. Otakus of course still consider those under-aged looking "adults" as lolis.)

Put it in another way, you can create your fictional "16-year-old girl", who looks exactly like a typical middle-aged salaryman, with a bloated face and excessive body fat. No one can rebut you as this is the fictional world, but the said reverse trap will never be popular among guys either.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 13:21   Link #159
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
Because they are essentially girls .

You can easily create a cute and pretty looking girl in the fictional world and make her a boy/android/alien/monster/pixie/dragon/(insert creature name) in the official settings. But she is still a girl in the readers' subconscious, regardless of the settings.

(OOT: There are loli eroge with official settings claiming that everyone is over 18 in order to circumvent the law. Otakus of course still consider those under-aged looking "adults" as lolis.)

Put it in another way, you can create your fictional "16-year-old girl", who looks exactly like a typical middle-aged salaryman, with a bloated face and excessive body fat. No one can rebut you as this is the fictional world, but the said reverse trap will never be popular among guys either.
Hmm...I still don't get it. If you have a setting where the cute girl is actually a boy, then you have a cute-girly looking boy. I can kind of understand if it was a case where the boy turned into a girl like in Kashimashi, cause in that case he's now a she. But with traps they're still boys right? I just can't understand the attraction.
Old 2009-03-28, 13:37   Link #160
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Hmm...I still don't get it. If you have a setting where the cute girl is actually a boy, then you have a cute-girly looking boy. I can kind of understand if it was a case where the boy turned into a girl like in Kashimashi, cause in that case he's now a she. But with traps they're still boys right?
No, my point is that people mostly love/hate a character based on subconscious feeling rather than rational ideas or official settings.

In other words, if there is an anime "boy" that looks exactly like a girl, acts exactly like a girl, speaks exactly like a girl, thinks like a girl; rationally you know that is a crossdresser, but it just registers as a de facto girl in the otaku thinking process.

This is just as the same as those "adult" loli which I have mentioned earlier. Since settings in the fictional anime world is not bound by any realistic constraints, many anime fans just take them with a grain of salt, and instead have their attachment on the character personalities and designs.

After all, as you can't tell an anime human from an anime android, or an anime boy from an anime girl; you may be better off loving a character as himself/herself instead of bothering with its "type", which in itself is easily changeable by some silly plot mines or deus ex machina devices.

Btw such kind of irrational attachment can never happen in the real world, as no male crossdresser can be exactly like a girl/android/monster/god.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2009-03-28 at 13:47.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels