AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-01-23, 03:20   Link #6121
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cenit Send a message via AIM to Cenit Send a message via MSN to Cenit
I just looked over those translations. DBD - COMO seem to be decent pieces of work but the further it gets the more unprofessional it looks. I agree that those are fan translations and that translators put a hell of work into creating them, but this compilation looks very unfinished by now...

For the Movie please remind yourself that that whenever Hollywood is doing Anime, it sucks. On exception would be the Wachowskis, but they will probably never ever direct anything again.
Cenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:41   Link #6122
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenit View Post
I just looked over those translations. DBD - COMO seem to be decent pieces of work but the further it gets the more unprofessional it looks. I agree that those are fan translations and that translators put a hell of work into creating them, but this compilation looks very unfinished by now...

For the Movie please remind yourself that that whenever Hollywood is doing Anime, it sucks. On exception would be the Wachowskis, but they will probably never ever direct anything again.

In general anything Americans touch sucks. Look at all the piss poor translations for licensed anime.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 21:53   Link #6123
illuminatus8

Quote:
They come from four different sources; I uploaded the zip as a convenience to other people who want them. A group called Boku-Tachi did the first few novels, but stopped when Tokyopop announced the license. After that, a person called Ravyn did the next couple of books, but stopped after she lost her notes and copy of the book she was working on. A guy called Shutazen picked it up after that; his are the text files and are sometimes difficult to read - he seems to have translated it word by word but not gone back to edit it and smooth out some of the translation glitches. Finally, MisterVX translated the last two novels and did a pretty good job of it.

I've been tempted to go over Shutazen's work and edit it down but I haven't had the time to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
In general anything Americans touch sucks. Look at all the piss poor translations for licensed anime.
Yes, because what we get from Japan is so much better. "UH OH! THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!"

EDIT: That's actually kind of glib, and not really fair because those Konami translators weren't professionals in the 80s. Translating things like popular novels, movies, or TV shows well demands idiomatic command of both the original and destination languages - in fact, it's some of the hardest material to translate short of a live conversation among a group of longtime friends. Anything with a video component is double tough because you not only have to capture the meaning and semantics but also make at least a half-assed attempt to make it fit the mouth flaps unless you're willing to reanimate the show just for that.

Last edited by illuminatus8; 2011-01-24 at 23:07.
illuminatus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 19:16   Link #6124
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
u mad bro?

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 21:22   Link #6125
kamehameha

What volume should i start reading after i re-finish TSR?
Old 2011-01-26, 05:58   Link #6126
HaLLoWeN

I think you should start reading from #06 - Dancing Very Merry Christmas
HaLLoWeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 20:10   Link #6127
illuminatus8

DVMC is the next sequentially.

I enjoyed Ending Day By Day just to see what was different - Gates was much less of a character, Yu-Fan and Yu-Lan are twin boys, the order of events is different, etc, etc.
Old 2011-01-28, 02:43   Link #6128
kamehameha

can someone reference me to something resourceful on the chronology of novels and how they should be read in order.. I'm kinda confused..
Old 2011-01-28, 07:31   Link #6129
Frostbitten

The events of TSR happen in Ending Day by Day (I & II) novels, and after that the story continues in this order:

- Dancing Very Merry Christmas
- Continuing On My Own
- Burning One Man Force
- Come Make My Day
- Approaching Nick of Time
- Always, Stand by Me (I & II)

Here you can read the summaries up to ANOT.

Last edited by Frostbitten; 2011-01-28 at 14:31. Reason: Some spelling mistakes
Frostbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-02, 23:23   Link #6130
Kaoru842

any new news?
Kaoru842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 10:01   Link #6131
psicomenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru842 View Post
any new news?
Looks like not yet but still waiting.
psicomenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 11:21   Link #6132
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cenit Send a message via AIM to Cenit Send a message via MSN to Cenit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru842 View Post
any new news?
Sure there is. Some very good news actually:

Ending Day By Day

Now go and order it. Hopefully Tokyopop will release Sigma next. I hate those damn french ppl who already have the first 11 volumes translated!!!

EDIT: And in case you now say 10 $ is expensive ... i paid fucking 14 euros for it so deal with it - still a good price!
Old 2011-02-04, 01:00   Link #6133
selilychidori
Selily Chidori

Quote:
Sure there is. Some very good news actually:

Ending Day By Day

Now go and order it. Hopefully Tokyopop will release Sigma next. I hate those damn french ppl who already have the first 11 volumes translated!!!

EDIT: And in case you now say 10 $ is expensive ... i paid fucking 14 euros for it so deal with it - still a good price!
I got mines today! YAY! TSR BOOK IS HERE! Got it at Barnes and Noble already..o.o.suprisingly...

and i paided 15 so be quiet ...well worth spending considering EACH book is like 9 and this is TWO books of 18 dollars worth.

but HAPPY NONE THE LESS!!...I get to read little details of TSR not shown in the anime! YAY! ^-^....*reads*
Old 2011-02-04, 22:41   Link #6134
illuminatus8

Quote:

The Singaporean version of Sigma is in English, though they're only up to volume 5 or 6.
Old 2011-02-04, 23:46   Link #6135
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

As I kind of figured, novel 4 is pretty much the last chance to convince Tokyopop to continue translating the FMP novels:

ANN Link

So lets hope sales are pretty good! My copy is currently in the mail.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 20:35   Link #6136
jdennis007

I just started reading it today, and it is pretty good so far.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 10:48   Link #6137
Cenit
Linkinball Z

I.HAVE.MY.BOOK.FAGGOTS

Now i can die in peace ... no not really ... WHERE IS MY DVMC???

Old 2011-02-15, 11:17   Link #6138
meeiwen
Circus Freak

Location: 40 degrees 50 minutes north, 140 degrees 31 minutes east
whoa i'm so jealous!! how much is a book?
meeiwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 12:42   Link #6139
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeiwen View Post
whoa i'm so jealous!! how much is a book?
Depends ... ending day by day is very cheap right now but it depends on its sales, if more novels get release. Also if the sales are low, there probably won't be a re-release for the first 3 Novels which got insanely expensive. Start with buying the 4th one. It's very different from the anime, not like novel 1-3. If the 4th sells bad, you won't get any (more) novels for a good price anyway!
Old 2011-02-16, 08:48   Link #6140
Kaoru842

where can you get it?
Kaoru842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, mecha, shounen