AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 23:39   Link #1141
zeroknight03

Despite all its flaws, I still like IS. It already has different plot points that can be built up at any time to advance the story but the author probably thinks it's too early (wants to write more volumes?).

The sentient being in ByakuShiki's core, why Ichika can pilot an IS, Ichika being contacted by Squall of Phantom Task, Madoka and why she looks just like Chifuyu, the secret of rank S aptitude which will probably lead to exposing some secrets of IS and Chifuyu, Tabane's relation to Houki/Chifuyu/Phantom Task. why Tabane's training Houki and why she said that Houki is strong like in the past etc.

I just think of it that we are currently in a training arc. Can't exactly start the fight with the enemy organization when even the Academy's strongest student (Tatenashi) is having a hard time versus one of PT's members. A little funny though, it's not Ichika that seems to be getting better but the girls (Cecilia's flexible, all the powerups that Houki got). When Chifuyu starts getting involved or the main characters start reaching a level where they can believably put up a good fight, the plot will probably move.

And on a personal note since we seem to be talking about the comparison to Index, I got into the Index series when volume 20 was released so I'm probably half-expecting IS to match the intensity of its World War 3 arc (which I know is an incredibly unfair expectation).
zeroknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 00:11   Link #1142
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I have to disagree on that point. Back then when I read the first 10 volume without knowing what the author going to do with the big plot, the independent arc really feels like it's really independent and doesn't have anything to do with advancing the plot at all. It feels like the first 10 volume is just like the daily life of Touma facing unfortunate happenings around him, just like any other series early volumes including IS. I still remember back then that the Deep Blood arc and the Angel Fall arc really feels useless to the overall story, and don't let me start with how coincidental the story feels at the crazy nuns arc. There's foreshadowing here and there, but back then I really feels all those arcs was just the opening scene of bigger stories and the character introduced there will only have cameo later in the story. Even so, the author surely proves me wrong by tying all those earlier arc(except the Deep Blood arc) in the later volume.

What makes Index much better with this series IMO is the characterization and the way the author doesn't use any repetitiveness even in the earlier volume. Sure there's some volume where the story development follows a certain formula(Touma get lucky unexpectedly, gets in trouble in the mid-volume, settles everything with his right punch), but even when following the formula, the author always put some spin on the story, especially during the battle, to make it not boring. Compare that with IS where the author just follow the same formula even up to the battle progression(new enemy comes, Ichika and co. get in trouble, Ichika get help for his energy problem, either he becomes a decoy or finishing the enemy with OHKO hit.)

On the other hand, I agree with the biggest failure is in Ichika. Unlike Touma, who's been portrayed as GAR from the start, Ichika was portrayed as a promising amateur since the start. With this kind of setting, the protagonist needs to be developed fast skill-wise or else the story will be ruined because the protagonist become a side character due to his lack of skill, and that's exactly what happened here. The enemy is developing fast skill wise, but the protagonist is still the same stupid amateur with promising potential as he was in the first volume, that's why he ends up as only a decoy in the later volume.

I still have hope that the author can tie all these meaningless arc into something with better overall plot, but he better do it fast or this series will lose one of its reader . Oh, and I hope Ichika will stop charging head first into battle and use that brain of his for once.
of course they look like independent arcs.
though if you read a lot of epic stories, I thought it was obvious that he was preparing the stage, with new characters and concepts and groups and details of the mechanics of the world, though as to what it would be would be a question mark at that point in time. I used to be a dungeon master for D&D, and that's how I set the stage for a 2-year campaign.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 00:34   Link #1143
dnab
anime berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroknight03 View Post
Despite all its flaws, I still like IS. It already has different plot points that can be built up at any time to advance the story but the author probably thinks it's too early (wants to write more volumes?).

The sentient being in ByakuShiki's core, why Ichika can pilot an IS, Ichika being contacted by Squall of Phantom Task, Madoka and why she looks just like Chifuyu, the secret of rank S aptitude which will probably lead to exposing some secrets of IS and Chifuyu, Tabane's relation to Houki/Chifuyu/Phantom Task. why Tabane's training Houki and why she said that Houki is strong like in the past etc.

I just think of it that we are currently in a training arc. Can't exactly start the fight with the enemy organization when even the Academy's strongest student (Tatenashi) is having a hard time versus one of PT's members. A little funny though, it's not Ichika that seems to be getting better but the girls (Cecilia's flexible, all the powerups that Houki got). When Chifuyu starts getting involved or the main characters start reaching a level where they can believably put up a good fight, the plot will probably move.

And on a personal note since we seem to be talking about the comparison to Index, I got into the Index series when volume 20 was released so I'm probably half-expecting IS to match the intensity of its World War 3 arc (which I know is an incredibly unfair expectation).
Absolutely agree. A LN is the cheapest way to launch a franchise, and by no means a solo effort. The Publisher knows, if not dictates, the plot development and pacing in accordance with market research, pair up illustrator and mechanical designers in accordance with novel's potential, etc. On the plus side the talents of many people all contribute to the polished, if not formulaic, final product. It is business, and it is big business.

There are some interesting foreshadows in IS, though still early. Chifuyu may NOT have an IS anymore. Ichika dreamed of TWO IS characters in his injured slumber. Could it be....?

The premise of IS is quite interesting. The invention of IS relegated the entire modern army. The female only(?) activation of IS empowered the women, who are less aggressive and more diplomatic than men. The dispersion of IS cores ensures global balance of power. Put together this sounds like a mad scientist's scheme for world peace, or an evil organization's plot for new world order. Perhaps both. Perhaps they're working together, for now.

IS is that it is (That's a mouthful) an unapologetic excuse for a harem story. It requires major suspension of believes. The biggest one, to me, is that if a technology revolutionized warfare, how can its pilots be permitted to live in an open society, without constant security scrutiny, have privacy, and susceptible to assassination attempts. In EVA where the enemies aren't even human, the pilots are tailed head to toe. IS..... never mind. Just shut off all extraneous processes in your brain and enjoy the harem antics.
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 01:09   Link #1144
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
I agree with this LN series as being 2nd rate, but IMO, the LN is still better than the anime. The anime does have the advantage of animated battle, but they cut the explanation too much and make Laura and Cecilia look like they have bipolar personality disorder .
True enough for Laura, if it weren't for the novels spelling it out that Laura had fallen for Ichika I would still be going 'what the heck just happened?'. (I watched the IS anime first, then went and looked for the LNs)

Cecilia well, it's a teenage girl falling in love - that by itself explains a lot of things (in anime/manga/LNs anyway...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Personally, I prefer the drama with the blue haired siblings than all that wish washy with Houki and etc. To me, it seems like this harem plot is being forced down our throats than it happening for a good reason.
Spoiler for Reply:

Quote:
I still have hope that the author can tie all these meaningless arc into something with better overall plot, but he better do it fast or this series will lose one of its reader . Oh, and I hope Ichika will stop charging head first into battle and use that brain of his for once.
Didn't Chifuyu say that's all Ichika is good for? Back when he asked why there's no ranged weapons on Byakushiki? He's supposedly best suited to master one thing in contrast to be a jack of all trades.

Basically, his trick is probably limited to Ignition Boost into range and start stabbing/slashing - not like he can use his sword into some kind of barrier-piercing beam, eg F/SN Excalibur style...
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 01:25   Link #1145
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Comparing IS to To aru is just not fair. For one, their target audience are very different(can be seen from the publishers). I agree with IS becoming boring even though it has so much potential in the first place, but from the start, the setting has been set so it won't involved the countries as antagonist.

Reason number 1, why would the country need to attack the academy when the students will graduate anyway after 3 years and they can recruit the students after that.

Reason number 2, unlike academy city in Index, IS academy doesn't hold political power nor diplomacy power at all. IS academy is just a school, nothing more and nothing less, unlike Academy City who also functioned as research place on Esper ability.

Reason number 3, unlike in Index setting where the country is in tense relation with each other, there's no major bad relation here, which give the countries no reason to risk tarnishing their own country reputation by attacking a neutral place which doesn't have any political stand.

I agree with no big plot progression at all, but Index was also the same up until after Daihaisai(forget the city sport competition name)'s arc, which is about 10 volume in, it's just that here, the author use too many formula so the build-up arc feels really repetitive and boring compared to Index.

For adding heaps of characters, I don't think it will work here. Remember, unlike in Index where basically everyone can be esper or magician, here only girls can pilot IS, not to mention there's limited IS in the world sans the one that Tabane can magically create.

About Ichika being weak, I'm also confused by this. The author contradicted himself by saying in earlier volume that Ichika is a fast learner in IS technique, but when he start to be involved in battle, his brain become a mushed and all he do is charge ahead even though he knows his weapon waste a lot of energy. Personally, I think this is the author's fault for wanting to put a girl in the spotlight in each volume's battle, but instead of putting both said girl and Ichika in a partnership battle, he put the girl in spotlight and make Ichika looks stupid on the way. Strange thing is, Ichika looks stronger in the early volume(vol 1-3) compared to the last 2 volume(vol 5-6) where he seems so..... useless.

I originally planned to continue with vol 7 after finishing vol 6, but seeing the way the author keep repeating the same pattern, I might do vol 5 instead so I can retire if vol 8 still repeat the same formula again(tournament, then an intruder appears.)
I'm talking about greater conspiracies by countries, which surprisingly, is extremely lacking in this series. We know for certain that the countries are not at the best of terms with one another. I would find it hard to believe that there would be no attempt by black-ops forces of other nations to attack one and other, they can always steal research material from the IS Academy. Furthermore, there can be plenty of other conspiracies within IS Academy as well. Given it's status as a research facility non-binding to many of the Alaska Treaty's terms, there can be a number of dark research. The author exploited non of those possibilities. In addition, what the light novel is depicting right now, is about a random bloke called Ichika who constantly gets attacked. There were no attempts to track his attackers, neither were there efforts to exploit Ichika's non-binding status to the Alaska Treaty to get him into some action outside the IS Academy.The whole series just does not have any unexpected twists.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 01:47   Link #1146
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
of course they look like independent arcs.
though if you read a lot of epic stories, I thought it was obvious that he was preparing the stage, with new characters and concepts and groups and details of the mechanics of the world, though as to what it would be would be a question mark at that point in time. I used to be a dungeon master for D&D, and that's how I set the stage for a 2-year campaign.
Hmmm... Maybe I didn't read enough story, but when I read it back then, I feel the character's background is too independent for an overarching plot(a rogue nun, an anti-vampire, alchemist, and angel? Not to mention the russion nun) and somehow thought that those character wouldn't appear again in the main story, their appearance is just one time thing. Of course, I've been proved very wrong although one of them(2 actually) did indeed never get integrated into the main overarching plot(the alchemist and anti-vampire, oh and that bow user in one of the vol 5 story). Heck, when I read vol 5, it wouldn't crossed my mind that the antagonist in the 2nd story there would seamlessly get integrated into the story that well. I thought he would be gone and never be told again after the story is over. The author is just that good in sewing all those independent earlier arcs into the main plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
True enough for Laura, if it weren't for the novels spelling it out that Laura had fallen for Ichika I would still be going 'what the heck just happened?'. (I watched the IS anime first, then went and looked for the LNs)

Cecilia well, it's a teenage girl falling in love - that by itself explains a lot of things (in anime/manga/LNs anyway...).
They cut out the explanation why Cecilia hate man in the first place in anime, and for me, that's what make her look bipolar in the anime instead of a teenage girl falling in love.

Quote:

Spoiler for Reply:

Agreed completely. The imouto-san is still believable, but the onee-chan was just so awkward that it feels out of place.

Quote:

Didn't Chifuyu say that's all Ichika is good for? Back when he asked why there's no ranged weapons on Byakushiki? He's supposedly best suited to master one thing in contrast to be a jack of all trades.

Basically, his trick is probably limited to Ignition Boost into range and start stabbing/slashing - not like he can use his sword into some kind of barrier-piercing beam, eg F/SN Excalibur style...
It's one thing to master close quarter combat, it's another thing to head charge into battle without thinking when you have an OHKO weapon. I know he wants to show his manliness, but I wish he would think with his brain a bit. You have an extra powerful weapon with limited ammo, would you attack first and risking it miss instead of sending decoys(his harems) to occupy the enemy and you strike when the enemy least expect it? It's many against one so far for God's sake, not one against many. He's not using his friends to the fullest.

Not to mention he now has Setsura. Use Setsura first while looking for a full opening before attacking with Yukihira dang it! And use the skill you have learned to evade enemy attack instead of taking them and reducing your shield energy unless you're almost completely certain you'll hit them. It's tiring seeing him not have enough energy all the time from recklessly using Yukihira or getting hit. It's very understandable for the first few battle, but to do it all the time? That's just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I'm talking about greater conspiracies by countries, which surprisingly, is extremely lacking in this series. We know for certain that the countries are not at the best of terms with one another. I would find it hard to believe that there would be no attempt by black-ops forces of other nations to attack one and other, they can always steal research material from the IS Academy. Furthermore, there can be plenty of other conspiracies within IS Academy as well. Given it's status as a research facility non-binding to many of the Alaska Treaty's terms, there can be a number of dark research. The author exploited non of those possibilities. In addition, what the light novel is depicting right now, is about a random bloke called Ichika who constantly gets attacked. There were no attempts to track his attackers, neither were there efforts to exploit Ichika's non-binding status to the Alaska Treaty to get him into some action outside the IS Academy.The whole series just does not have any unexpected twists.
It's still too early for big twist, and the IS academy doesn't do research at all. That's the setting from the start, because the IS academy is set up like a high-school in normal world instead of college where you can do research there. All the students do there is train their skill, not upgrading their IS. All the research is done by the home country of each representative candidate and you only collect data from all the activity inside IS academy, so IS academy is something like a test field instead of research base. For dark research, considering that unless you're Tabane, you would need a full military base to do research on IS, I doubt any of the teacher inside can do that without getting found out by the headmaster, who seems to have no interest in researching IS.

I agree about the story is like the story of some random bloke's daily life, and about the lack of effort in tracking the bad guy although it's been implied here and there that Phantom Task is being tracked after vol 5's incident, but there's no way Ichika can be sent for some action outside the IS academy, considering the rights for his IS citizenship is still being debated(stated in vol 6). Unless a country specifically request for it, I doubt IS academy would sent him into action outside the school since they do still want to keep their independence, not to mention he doesn't have the skill yet to be sent on a serious mission unless it's extremely urgent like in vol 3. Once words got out he got sent for action outside the academy's jurisdiction, the academy will lose its status as a mere school and academy and get treated as a small political district like a certain academy city. We're not talking about some peace-keeping organization when talking about IS academy here, just a normal academy that deals with IS training and happened to be independent.

Last edited by kuroishinigami; 2011-05-03 at 02:01.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 02:52   Link #1147
Ypocaramel

IS citizenship, huh. So it has full sovereign nation status, not just some kind of treaty status (yes, I know this was discussed in the anime, but in international law there is some delineation between a piece of land that countries agree by treaty not to touch and a full sovereign nation, which needs a full government, population, defined territory and de jure indepedence). We've never seen any passport stations when they go shopping though, and they just walk around Japan no issues. I suppose they get Japan-visas or temporary residency when at IS academy. (edit) The issue here is that under international law, if you don't have a defined border (it could be a disputed border), you technically don't qualify as a country. Technically there's a dozen ways to get around this, but it is a bit strange.

Last edited by Ypocaramel; 2011-05-03 at 04:46.
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 02:55   Link #1148
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Hmmm... Maybe I didn't read enough story, but when I read it back then, I feel the character's background is too independent for an overarching plot(a rogue nun, an anti-vampire, alchemist, and angel? Not to mention the russion nun) and somehow thought that those character wouldn't appear again in the main story, their appearance is just one time thing. Of course, I've been proved very wrong although one of them(2 actually) did indeed never get integrated into the main overarching plot(the alchemist and anti-vampire, oh and that bow user in one of the vol 5 story). Heck, when I read vol 5, it wouldn't crossed my mind that the antagonist in the 2nd story there would seamlessly get integrated into the story that well. I thought he would be gone and never be told again after the story is over. The author is just that good in sewing all those independent earlier arcs into the main plot.

It's still too early for big twist, and the IS academy doesn't do research at all. That's the setting from the start, because the IS academy is set up like a high-school in normal world instead of college where you can do research there. All the students do there is train their skill, not upgrading their IS. All the research is done by the home country of each representative candidate and you only collect data from all the activity inside IS academy, so IS academy is something like a test field instead of research base. For dark research, considering that unless you're Tabane, you would need a full military base to do research on IS, I doubt any of the teacher inside can do that without getting found out by the headmaster, who seems to have no interest in researching IS.

I agree about the story is like the story of some random bloke's daily life, and about the lack of effort in tracking the bad guy although it's been implied here and there that Phantom Task is being tracked after vol 5's incident, but there's no way Ichika can be sent for some action outside the IS academy, considering the rights for his IS citizenship is still being debated(stated in vol 6). Unless a country specifically request for it, I doubt IS academy would sent him into action outside the school since they do still want to keep their independence, not to mention he doesn't have the skill yet to be sent on a serious mission unless it's extremely urgent like in vol 3. Once words got out he got sent for action outside the academy's jurisdiction, the academy will lose its status as a mere school and academy and get treated as a small political district like a certain academy city. We're not talking about some peace-keeping organization when talking about IS academy here, just a normal academy that deals with IS training and happened to be independent.
Actually, IS Academy is a research facility where scientists test their latest toy, so there are potentially abuses. For example, Laura's IS had the Valkyrie system installed, but the author decided not to go into depth investigating the issue. Anyway, what do you mean by IS citizenship? Do you mean the representative candidacy? And about exploiting Ichika's status as a man, I doubt that he needs IS academy permission to undergo black ops operations. He'd be just like Kamijou Touma, doing all sorts of work without actually officially siding with anyone. I would also like to see more organisations in the future. Phantom Corps is involved in some world conspiracy, but so far that's only just one organisation. I really found it disbelieving that organisations don't secretly deploy their IS in black-ops operation. Ichika still does not have an organisation that endorses him, so it would be brilliant if there's an organisation ,that opposes the phantom corps, that supports him. From what I can see, I doubt that the Japanese Government will never support him apart from giving a personalised IS--they were probably coerced by Tabane to do it in the first place. In addition, the author rarely expands on the lore of the world of IS, which is supposed to be mandatory, given this is a sci-fi.There's a great degree of world-wide politics in the world of IS,but he has added relatively few information regarding the way how the world revolves, something that is an enormous contrast to Toaru majutsu no Index. When there are multiple countries involved, you genuinely believe that there's probably going to be all sorts of plots against other countries, bickerings, threats of war, conspiracies. None of that however, ever materialised--I just think that this is the largest let down. No country seemed to want to abduct Ichika and make them their lab rat. If vol. eight does not change for the better, IS is out of my attention. For now, the pattern of this story is always harem bickering, then a random fight at the start of a tournament. They have never even bothered explaining why they consistently attacked Ichika and his harem. It's just so pointless. What could they possibly achieve by attacking a group of students?Furthermore, should security be increased dramatically since the Academy is always attacked? There are just so many plot holes in this series.There just aren't any unusual situations in the light novels.In the past, I have always defended the series, but now, I can no longer tolerance this, I'm at my limits.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2011-05-03 at 03:34.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 04:37   Link #1149
FreedmAngl

Quote:
Actually, IS Academy is a research facility where scientists test their latest toy, so there are potentially abuses. For example, Laura's IS had the Valkyrie system installed, but the author decided not to go into depth investigating the issue. Anyway, what do you mean by IS citizenship? Do you mean the representative candidacy? And about exploiting Ichika's status as a man, I doubt that he needs IS academy permission to undergo black ops operations. He'd be just like Kamijou Touma, doing all sorts of work without actually officially siding with anyone. I would also like to see more organisations in the future. Phantom Corps is involved in some world conspiracy, but so far that's only just one organisation. I really found it disbelieving that organisations don't secretly deploy their IS in black-ops operation. Ichika still does not have an organisation that endorses him, so it would be brilliant if there's an organisation ,that opposes the phantom corps, that supports him. From what I can see, I doubt that the Japanese Government will never support him apart from giving a personalised IS--they were probably coerced by Tabane to do it in the first place. In addition, the author rarely expands on the lore of the world of IS, which is supposed to be mandatory, given this is a sci-fi.There's a great degree of world-wide politics in the world of IS,but he has added relatively few information regarding the way how the world revolves, something that is an enormous contrast to Toaru majutsu no Index. When there are multiple countries involved, you genuinely believe that there's probably going to be all sorts of plots against other countries, bickerings, threats of war, conspiracies. None of that however, ever materialised--I just think that this is the largest let down. No country seemed to want to abduct Ichika and make them their lab rat. If vol. eight does not change for the better, IS is out of my attention. For now, the pattern of this story is always harem bickering, then a random fight at the start of a tournament. They have never even bothered explaining why they consistently attacked Ichika and his harem. It's just so pointless. What could they possibly achieve by attacking a group of students?Furthermore, should security be increased dramatically since the Academy is always attacked? There are just so many plot holes in this series.There just aren't any unusual situations in the light novels.In the past, I have always defended the series, but now, I can no longer tolerance this, I'm at my limits.
i am too if the author makes another book with the same crappy formula of attacking b4 a toruney then i'll drop wanting to read IS
FreedmAngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 04:50   Link #1150
justpassingby

=.=
These zesty hating will only make others discouraged to discuss the novel you know. Yes, I hate some aspects of IS too, but lets don't be too vocal about them from now on, aye?. Keep expecting the worst and you will never find sunshine :P

Spoiler for Fun facts, if you need something to discuss that is:

PS I feel so out of place because I don't read Index @_@, brb looking for avenir

PPS You guys so tsundere....See you guys next volume
Old 2011-05-03, 05:15   Link #1151
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
PPS You guys so tsundere....See you guys next volume
well, it's better than yandere fans

Quote:
and knitting (she sucks at it) XD (pg280)
no surprise there
Old 2011-05-03, 05:32   Link #1152
zeroknight03

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
- In the interview with Nagisako, when she asked about Houki's thought of receiving Akatsubaki from her sister, any thought of becoming a country's representative cadet, and does she hates Japan?
Hate Japan? How did that question even come up? Because she won't become a representative candidate/ the representative?
zeroknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 06:34   Link #1153
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Hate Japan? How did that question even come up? Because she won't become a representative candidate/ the representative?
that does sound a bit ridiculous
Old 2011-05-03, 06:52   Link #1154
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
The valkyrie system was researched by German, not the IS academy's staff. Like I said, IS academy is more like a test field instead of a research base, all the research are done by each country, not IS academy. About black ops operation, who will involve Ichika in that kind of things? He's not affiliated with any country, and unlike Academy City, IS Academy doesn't involve itself in diplomacy matter at all so they have no use for black ops unit. Remember, IS Academy is not a research base, doesn't stand anywhere diplomacy wise, extremely neutral, just a normal high school that's used as field test for the latest IS and have IS related curriculum, and they lose their students after 3 years(unlike Academy City which held their students from child, and even up until they graduate from college). Which is why, unlike Academy City's denizen who thinks academy city as their home, the student in IS academy doesn't feel the same. There's no way they will join a black ops that might damage their own home country. Besides that, why send greenhorn students when you have your country representative who's much more skillful than Ichika and co.(they're all on Tatenashi's level, and Ichika's IS still can't cover the difference in piloting skill).

Not only that, in To aru, Touma's weapon is his right hand, which he can easily bring everywhere with him. In here, Ichika's weapon is a highly classified high-tech weapon. He will definitely get caught and be reprimanded heavily(probably expelled from academy) should he join an operation outside the school. It's just like if Touma decide to steal an Academy City's jet for helping Index in England. There's no way he can do that easily and not facing any consequences at all.

And by IS citizenship, I meant which country Byaku Shiki belongs too(which also means which country will take Ichika as representative candidate). The Japanese develops Byaku Shiki, but they don't own Byaku Shiki yet, and the country who get Byaku Shiki basically get the chance to investigate Tabane's personal creation.

About why the enemy attacks Ichika, you have to understand that there's only 2 vol so far where the "would be" main enemy attacks Ichika. The other 2, he gets attacked by Tabane's creation just so Tabane can get data(not sure what's for, Tabane's like the Aleister Crowley of Index). The rest is either personal battle or a unit gone awry and Ichika unfortunately has to face it. It's still early to reveal the main reason for attacking Ichika, and I give the author the benefit of doubt in this matter. We also doesn't know why Touma get involved in Aleister's plan even after 23 volumes of story right?

You keep comparing IS to To aru, but that's not a fair comparison, they're in a completely different genre, not to mention the difference in targeted audience. It's like comparing a highschool story with a little bit of battle like Medaka Box with a battle story that the main character just happened to be in high school like Bleach. Of course the battle story like Bleach will have more chance to expand the lore, because the character keep skipping class just to join the adventure and adding to finding out the world's lore. On the other hand, for the highschool story such as IS and Medaka Box, the students still do their students duty, and just happened to get dragged into battle inside that happened inside the school. There's less chance to expand the lore when the main character mostly spend his time in school, just like how a normal student should be. Sometimes you have to wonder, how can Touma not get expelled when he spend more time skipping class to go everywhere to save the world than staying there just like a normal student. He barely do any student duties such as learning and attending class. If you want to compare IS, it's better to compare it to story that have highschool as the main setting such as Ichiban Daimaou or Kampfer.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 06:55   Link #1155
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Let me make this clear first, in case someone decides to point the finger at me. When I compared IS to TAMnI, what I compared is 'how long did it take for the story to develop', not the story itself, so I'm out.
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 07:07   Link #1156
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Let me make this clear first, in case someone decides to point the finger at me. When I compared IS to TAMnI, what I compared is 'how long did it take for the story to develop', not the story itself, so I'm out.
oh, so YOU started this
Old 2011-05-03, 07:13   Link #1157
Riki
ランダム王

Soo my guess is that in volume 8 will probably be going to the cultural festival with ran and probably the girls will find out and all of them will follow ichika.second possibility is we will find out why tabane keeps making these droids since this is the second time the author used the same pattern from last time ==.MOST probably there will be more harem service with sarashiki siblings joining the lunch table XD
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 07:16   Link #1158
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Soo my guess is that in volume 8 will probably be going to the cultural festival with ran and probably the girls will find out and all of them will follow ichika.second possibility is we will find out why tabane keeps making these droids since this is the second time the author used the same pattern from last time ==.MOST probably there will be more harem service with sarashiki siblings joining the lunch table XD
you're absolutely right

culture fest -> going with ran -> harem finds out -> harem antics -> culture fest -> enemy interruption -> fight -> save the day -> harem antics

did i basically spoil volume 8?

we'll see
Old 2011-05-03, 07:24   Link #1159
Riki
ランダム王

well we cant blame the author for extending the harem antics since the anime is selling a little bit too good and money comes first before anything else ==.i hope he picks up some weird ideas though like charlotte father comes and bring her back to france or maybe make a Phantom task member to join the academy.....
Riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 07:28   Link #1160
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
well we cant blame the author for extending the harem antics since the anime is selling a little bit too good and money comes first before anything else ==.i hope he picks up some weird ideas though like charlotte father comes and bring her back to france or maybe make a Phantom task member to join the academy.....
i personally enjoy the harem antics

and that, sir, is a very good idea

Tags
blockhead protagonist, comparison, fanservice, harem, manga rebooted, mecha, not dense mc, seinen, shounen