Old 2009-09-13, 18:23   Link #121
Vegitto-kun

im pretty sure its gonna be a daily car
Vegitto-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 01:25   Link #122
velvet nightmare

General Car Questions

I couldn't find any threads with 'car' as title so i might as well ask here

question: does your car use more gas when you shift to a lower gear to slow the car down, because you are at a higher rpm? i'm implying that either you're driving manual or using some sort of sport shift

question 2: my friends recently told me that it's never advantageous to lease a car, why is that? aside from the obvious that you don't own the car
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 04:39   Link #123
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
I couldn't find any threads with 'car' as title so i might as well ask here

question: does your car use more gas when you shift to a lower gear to slow the car down, because you are at a higher rpm? i'm implying that either you're driving manual or using some sort of sport shift

question 2: my friends recently told me that it's never advantageous to lease a car, why is that? aside from the obvious that you don't own the car
I really do not know the answer for Q2 but for Q1, No since gas is not pumped into the cylinders. If it was the car will accelerate not decelerate.
(If your feet is not stepping on the accelerator that is)
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 01:29   Link #124
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Touch up paint, car trouble.

Hello, I like to ask all you car experts out there some questions as I might of damaged the paint on my car when I was trying to do touch up paint.

I have a area on my side door that got lightly scratched up, the size of the area is around 10"x8". I applied touch up paint using a brush (took forever) and then tried to sand it down so it's smooth and leveled. I think I might of over sanded the area as it is now looking dull in color with abbrasions even after I tried polishing and waxing it. I used 1000 grit sandpaper when I was sanding the area by hand.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can repair this damage?
Old 2009-11-19, 02:10   Link #125
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
It's hard to say just how much damage was done, but...

If it looks reparable, you'll want to work your way down to some finder grit sandpaper. Go up to 1200, 1600, 2000... Then you can use some spray clear coat. Once it's dry, sand that, going from course to fine.

Just be careful with how far you're sanding it down. You just want to make it even (which you've done) and then make that even surface as smooth as possible, not go deep.

...I don't actually do any painting, though. This advice is only offered in case no one with real experience doing this comes around.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-19, 03:27   Link #126
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Hello, I like to ask all you car experts out there some questions as I might of damaged the paint on my car when I was trying to do touch up paint.

I have a area on my side door that got lightly scratched up, the size of the area is around 10"x8". I applied touch up paint using a brush (took forever) and then tried to sand it down so it's smooth and leveled. I think I might of over sanded the area as it is now looking dull in color with abbrasions even after I tried polishing and waxing it. I used 1000 grit sandpaper when I was sanding the area by hand.

Does anyone have any idea on how I can repair this damage?
If you can't get it right with polishing you certainly have ruined it. Search a professional varnisher he has the right tools to repair it. If the paint of your car is not too old, there is a good chance that the new paint will not stick out too much.
Old 2009-12-14, 23:15   Link #127
guess

Hey, people, would you buy a hybrid car or a traditional (gas) car if you were to going buy a car this year (2010)? I am thinking that this hybrid tech is relatively new and still in sort of experimental stage. But there seems to be a lot of people buying this new type of cars already. Maybe it is not so bad? How about maintenance? Which is more expensive? And duration? Which is more durable?
Old 2010-01-18, 16:32   Link #128
psycho_luny
close to insanity
*Author

Send a message via MSN to psycho_luny
me and my dad are driving a white 1972 ford coupe, 1 hell of a ride.
Old 2010-01-18, 16:42   Link #129
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegitto-kun View Post
well these are my parent's cars
Spoiler for Renault megane cabriolet:

new car they ordered. a fricking nissan GT-R
"la" megane cab doesn't actually look that bad. i'm really surprised!

however, having a gt-r for a daily use is somewhat wasted. i wanted one as a daily car, but in the end the petrol consumption was way too high considering how much i drive a year (not much +-15Kkm, i go to work by foot). just like the older m5 : track day car or week end pleasure

so i ended up in one of those hot hatches that isn't that hot in fact, but what a long distance cruser! even if i barely get 38mpg
('98 golf 4 gti 180bhp)
Old 2010-01-19, 00:20   Link #130
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
My car is a Nissan Altimo 08 model in black

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 01:29   Link #131
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife

2000 Chevy Corvette 6spd. 124k miles on the original motor/clutch/transmission. Made 480 horsepower to the wheels @ 8psi 2 years ago. Hoping for 550rwhp once the car's retuned with methanol injection and increased boost from a Cartek Flip-drive for the supercharger.

Did the import scene. 1993 Mazda RX7 streetport that made 326rwhp @ 15psi. 1990 Nissan 240sx coupe with an S14 SR20DET making 200rwhp. And a 1986 Toyota Corolla AE86 hatch. The corvette is my favorite by far. Though I'd love to get another Rx7 and do a corvette engine swap.
Old 2010-01-19, 02:16   Link #132
SirJeannot
AT Field

this corvette looks gorgeous!
I hope regulations were not so strict over here for power modifications
(in this case, the state has to inspect the car, which is not free, and get the paperwork done, which is really not free. and all this can last months )
Old 2010-01-19, 02:55   Link #133
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot View Post
this corvette looks gorgeous!
I hope regulations were not so strict over here for power modifications
(in this case, the state has to inspect the car, which is not free, and get the paperwork done, which is really not free. and all this can last months )
California has the strictest emisions of any state in the U.S. My car passes the clean test, but not the visuals inspection part of it(several parts do not have CARB plates on them certifying them street legal in California). A very big thorn in my side as I'm all for clean air and clean cars and spent extra money to have high flow catalytic converters installed(the car only had straight exhaust no cats when I got it 3 years ago). Just proof that California doesn't truly care about clean air so much as regulating it's citizens.

When my dad passes away(hopefully not for many years), I will be leaving this state as it is too restrictive a place to live compared to other states.

Spoiler for more shots of the car over the years:
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 18:29   Link #134
SirJeannot
AT Field

i maintain your corvette looks extremely gorgeous
simple and effective

I'm really curious about those emissions tests. is it like under x gr. of CO2 per mile? That would be convenient, however I can easily imagine depending how cleverly (or not) it was meant to be, a 480bhp car can become tricky to make pass the test.

back here, it's so much a hassle that 99% of the people do not tweak their car, 99% of the remaining % tweak their ecu and that's it. the others just install dumb useless gadgets and that's it. and that's what i like about yours : plain, simple, effective, lovely.

I'm getting motivated to install a much bigger intercooler and a sway bar in the front. however i'll have a second look at the regulations because even a bigger intercooler could be a no
and i don't want to pay ~1200€ to get it inspected and have the paperwork done... hence ecu only tweaking.
Old 2010-01-20, 20:37   Link #135
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot View Post
i maintain your corvette looks extremely gorgeous
simple and effective

I'm really curious about those emissions tests. is it like under x gr. of CO2 per mile? That would be convenient, however I can easily imagine depending how cleverly (or not) it was meant to be, a 480bhp car can become tricky to make pass the test.
Actually my car made around 540-550bhp 2 years ago. The 480 is what it made to the wheels after drivetrain loss. I'm hoping when I get it back(whenever that will be...) it will be over 600bhp. And I'll still not have touched the motor as everything has been done around it. Since it is my daily driver, I don't want to push it too much more than I am now. These engines were never designed for boost so the pistons are rather fragile. Of course once I have the money down the road, that'll be a moot point as I'll be replacing it with a 6.7liter that has forged internals and can handle more boost.
Old 2010-01-21, 15:36   Link #136
SirJeannot
AT Field

you'll just never stop
Old 2010-01-21, 22:12   Link #137
Badkarma 1

Fav cars past and present

I started out with a 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 w/a 390 c.i.d. V-8,from there it was on to a Ford Bronco2 w/a 2.9 Litre V-6. Then while out on the west coast(CA.)I got a LEGEND! A 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner with the legendary 426cid HEMI under the hood!! It was indeed a BEAST! The only thing that could catch me was Motorola! Been a MOPAR man since, my current ride is a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 pickup truck with the 5.7 Litre HEMI and it is a 4x4 ! HEMI;once you get one NOTHING else comes close.
Badkarma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 23:56   Link #138
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma 1 View Post
I started out with a 1969 Ford Galaxy 500 w/a 390 c.i.d. V-8,from there it was on to a Ford Bronco2 w/a 2.9 Litre V-6. Then while out on the west coast(CA.)I got a LEGEND! A 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner with the legendary 426cid HEMI under the hood!! It was indeed a BEAST! The only thing that could catch me was Motorola! Been a MOPAR man since, my current ride is a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 pickup truck with the 5.7 Litre HEMI and it is a 4x4 ! HEMI;once you get one NOTHING else comes close.
I could argue that last part, but I like all things fast, and love my friend's 5.7liter 2009 Dodge Challenger so it's all good in the hood my friend.
Old 2010-01-23, 00:20   Link #139
Badkarma 1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I could argue that last part, but I like all things fast, and love my friend's 5.7liter 2009 Dodge Challenger so it's all good in the hood my friend.
Nothing wrong with your 'Vette brother! All high speed and low drag,one very kick ass ride!
Badkarma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-23, 00:27   Link #140
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma 1 View Post
Nothing wrong with your 'Vette brother! All high speed and low drag,one very kick ass ride!
I wasn't just referring to my corvette. I'm a bit partial to my friend's '98 Mustang GT.

471rwhp @ 10 psi on a Vortech S-Trim through a 6spd manual and 3.73 rear end. He now has a T-Trim with more boost and hoping for 550ish to the wheels when he gets it re-tuned.

I love all fast cars.