AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-08-04, 03:41   Link #301
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes, but with the way the writers tend to be they'll need to come up with a reason to end that question (speculation on that is large since some agree with the River Song give him lifes theory while other don't). Coming out with a way so he could be roughly unlikely they'll run out of regenerations anytime in the next 50 years (if ever) would be a goal. Though even if the Doctor can Regenerate, he can still be killed, and he can decide not to regenerate and just die (like the Master did...though being the Master, he also cheated) which is suggested for when the Doctor finally does die, that he give up and dies in battle or in the aftermath of a battle. At least according to the Great Intelligence.
Old 2013-08-04, 08:59   Link #302
GDB

Wouldn't series 6 imply that, if he does die, he does so quietly? It's recorded in history that he died in 2011 by River Song's hands, though he pulled an Okabe and cheated the fixed point in history. Since the series seemed to play off of a "important things that happen have already happened even if they haven't" sort of thing, wouldn't that imply that he either never dies or doesn't die in a grand way?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:29   Link #303
Dextro
He Without a Title

And it's official: Peter Capaldi is the next Doctor.
Old 2013-08-04, 13:40   Link #304
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Means the 12th Doctor will be as old as the 1st Doctor when they started.

As for his ending, "The Name of the Doctor" suggested how the Doctor will die and the location of his grave. Though not "when" both in terms of what year in the Universe, how old the Doctor was, or even which face. Just that the TARDIS will at some point will use the same console room as he has presently when he dies. Though due to what the Doctor did at the end, that could have been changed entirely...as Clara said she'd only seen 11 faces...and it is possible he pulled off another trick.
Old 2013-08-04, 13:42   Link #305
Kirarakim

I am very happy with an older Doctor.

Matt Smith surprised me in a good way in the end but I am looking forward to a Doctor who is older than me.
Old 2013-08-04, 13:48   Link #306
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Interesting choice, not familiar with the actor so Ill save any judgement calls until I see him as The Doctor. I am glad they went older.

also he was the father in Fires of Pompeii.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:53   Link #307
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes he was. It be funny if he was the Doctor then as well, but extremely unlikely since Time Lords seems to be able to usually spot each other. Or at least know there is another around (though sometimes that might not world when it is "yourself"). But it wouldn't be the first time an actor that had had a role in the show had been given another different role, nor the first time an actor that played another part was cast as the Doctor. Colin Baker had been in Dr. Who before becoming the Sixth Doctor. And of course David Tennant had been in Dr. Who radio plays for a few years as various roles before he became the Tenth Doctor.
Old 2013-08-04, 13:59   Link #308
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Interesting choice, not familiar with the actor so Ill save any judgement calls until I see him as The Doctor. I am glad they went older.

also he was the father in Fires of Pompeii.
That episode seems to be springing major Doctor Who characters. Karen Gillan was also in that episode as an extra
Old 2013-08-04, 15:07   Link #309
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

William Hartnell will still be the oldest person to start playing the Doctor regularly, but only by a small number of months. Hartnell being born in January while Capaldi was born in April. Even with the start difference of month (Novemeber to December) that still makes Hartnell older...barely.

David Bradley (71 years old) will be playing Harnell in the new documentary-ish movie.

Of course John Hurt is 73.

Jon Pertwee was 75 or so the last time he played the Doctor for a fan made story called "Devious" in 1995.

And Tom Baker is 79 and started doing audio plays again as the Doctor.
Old 2013-08-04, 16:04   Link #310
Bri

Peter Capaldi also had a role in Torchwood as their government liaison Frobisher. Will be interesting when the 12th doctor meets captain Jack again.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:28   Link #311
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if Jack would notice, or just be so thrilled to see the Doctor again he won't care.
Old 2013-08-04, 16:57   Link #312
james0246

So the new guy is literally more than twice the age of the previous guy. Cool . (I'm over emphasizing the word guy since we didn't get a female doctor ). I'm glad they didn't chose someone like Martin Freeman or that guy from Being Human (or Rupert Grint). Capaldi will definitely add an air of sophistication and experience (and authority) to the role.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 18:02   Link #313
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Still a "long" ways to December. Then an even longer ways until Series 8 starts.

The Doctor will again be considerably physically older than his companion (Clara Oswald). Though he would now be just a little older than Alex Kingston as River Song, should they ever decide to bring her back (they can, though their latest parting was likely a good conclusion to her story).

But...if the Doctor ever does run into his granddaughter, Susan, again...she'll be older. Carole Ann Ford being 73 now. (unless they have her regenerate as well) It is assumed that Susan is also dead due to the Time War, or perhaps something before that.
Old 2013-08-04, 19:08   Link #314
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh, frabjous day!

I love this. A grown-up Doctor, and a fantastic actor. Loved him in the stupendously great "Local Hero" when he was younger than Smith, loved him as Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of it". I hardly dared hope these rumors were true, but so they are. Kudos to Moffatt for proving me wrong.

BTW, Colin Baker was a guest star too before he was cast too, so I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 19:13   Link #315
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Good thing Clara Oswald has a platonic relationship with the Doctor. As the gag episode with Rowan Atkinson showed, it is awkward to continue a relationship after a Regeneration.
Old 2013-08-05, 01:37   Link #316
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

I'm looking forward to see the regeneration episode.
Old 2013-08-05, 04:10   Link #317
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Good thing Clara Oswald has a platonic relationship with the Doctor. As the gag episode with Rowan Atkinson showed, it is awkward to continue a relationship after a Regeneration.
I find it funny that that 1999 Comic Relief episode was written by Steven Moffat.
Old 2013-08-05, 05:15   Link #318
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
I'm looking forward to see the regeneration episode.
Hoping it's more like nine's than ten's, smh @ I don't wanna go.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 06:41   Link #319
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Peter Capaldi also had a role in Torchwood as their government liaison Frobisher. Will be interesting when the 12th doctor meets captain Jack again.
That would be very funny.

Jack: "Doctor! It's good to see you aga- OMG!"
12th Doctor: "Jack, what's wrong?"
Jack: "Nothing. It's just...... you regenerated as someone i knew and dislike back on Earth."
12th Doctor: "???"
Old 2013-08-05, 11:36   Link #320
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There has been suggestion that this might be an "evil" doctor. A reason for why "Silence must fall" and the Doctor needed to die as the 11th. Because after that he was too terrible for the universe to handle.

Some reason that this is because he should be on his last life (normally a Time Lord is said to have 13 lives, and with John Hurt added to the 11 Doctors, that makes this regeneration his "last"). The Great Intelligence gave him a few names he hasn't been yet. The Beast and the previously seen Valeyard (against the Sixth Doctor). The Valeyard may or may not be a proper version of the Doctor as he was trying to steal the Doctor's remaining lives back in the Colin Baker years. The Master said the Valeyard was a verson of the Doctor somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation. Well...if the John Hurt 'Doctor' counts....Matt Smith is the 12th incarnation and a Time Lord's suppose to have 13 total (but the writers were clever enough to not fix the Doctor's ending number even back then).

The question would be how bad would the Doctor actually be? He's still the Doctor (probably) and still the star of the show. A family show by some definitions. We have seen he go too far from time to time. We've seen him get dark and moody of late due to losses of companions. River Song really didn't want him to go in the last episode. The River that has seen all she ever saw...the one in the Library. It is possible she saw what the Doctor became and doesn't like him that way. Or she was just scared for him dying like she was when we first met her in the Library. But...she managed to go out with one more mystery "Spoilers" before she left. Maybe forever, or maybe she'll turn up again. Just depends on the story.

Clara will be there for the next season, but who knows how long she'll last. It depends on how Jenna and Peter get along and how their characters relate to each other I suppose. But there has been the warning from Amy to the doctor, "Don't travel alone". He gets worse when he's alone now. He can "see it" as he told Amy. His wonder of the universe has dulled when he doesn't have someone there with him. Will Clara be replaced when Jenna leaves, or will they have him travel alone and get darker and darker?

Tags
science fiction