AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-19, 07:59   Link #1
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Nurarihyon no Mago

From Mangaupdates:
Quote:
Rikuo Nura, a kid that is part human and a quarter youkai (demon), lives in a house full of spirits along with his youkai grandfather. Trying to escape his fate of acting like a demon, he does good deeds in order to avoid becoming one despite his grandfather's wish to succeed him as master of the Nurari youkai clan.
I've searched for this but I couldn't find a thread. Anyone's been following this? I think it's a pretty good read and the characters are quite likeable. The first few chapters was kind of slow but it's getting more into it now.

It's mainly about a kid with youkai blood running through him but he doesn't want to become the head of his clan and goes to a normal school. Hilarity and trouble ensue as he meets an onmyouji at school, and among other things which force out his youkai self.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:29   Link #2
myopius

Yeah! I'm following this, and really enjoying it.

It's like a lot of shounen: at the start, it's a bit episodic and you don't have a coherent idea that the characters will be dynamic or that the story has any epic intentions, but it has a lot of promise.

I like the characters a lot. They're definitely lovable. Chapter 1's Rikuo was just a bit too rambunctious for me to care about seriously, but the present day's Rikuo is earnest and well-meaning and thus easy to like. Kana, too. Neither of them ever annoys me or makes me feel impatient, and I admire traits they have.

Yura and Yuki Onna are also a lot of fun, likable and unique characters with a bit of complexity about them, inherent to their backgrounds and their friendships with the rest of the crowd. At first I was afraid Yura would be pretentious, but she isn't at all.

http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02hy4.jpg <-- I <3 character intrigue

Spoiler for Chapter 15:

Many readers (me included) seem to feel that Yuki Onna is awesome.
Old 2008-06-28, 00:59   Link #3
Mizuno
Undefined

I really like Yuki Onna as well, I think her name was Tsururu. I think there will be a 2nd timeskip in the future because the main characters in the one-off manga are older, noticeably the heroine (you can tell by the chest size ). This will make a pretty cool anime adaption when the time comes and I really think it's unique enough to guarantee one in a matter of time.
Old 2009-03-03, 18:50   Link #4
Mizuno
Undefined

I'm surprised the lack of interest for this manga.

The latest arc is very interesting with the apperance of something that's not Youkai.
Old 2009-03-03, 19:00   Link #5
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手

manga status check before starting discussion: around ch 47 or 48 for raws/Chinese scanlations, right? How far are English scanlations coming along (if there are any)? Need to determine how careful I need to be about spoilers
Old 2009-03-03, 19:04   Link #6
Mizuno
Undefined

The scans are up to date at chapter 48.
Old 2009-03-03, 19:25   Link #7
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手

so...I have a reason to suspect that it's very likely that Yura has caught on to Rikuo's identity as Master of the Youkai (for lack of better translation thus stealing what's available on wiki). No matter how you look at it, Yura was there during the entire conflict and it's possible that she also witnessed Rikuo's transformation back to his normal human self from his youkai form. The fact that she more or less disappeared after that may suggest a few things...
Old 2009-03-03, 22:53   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I'm surprised the lack of interest for this manga.
I didn't know there was a thread already. To be honest, I really like the series and would have created a thread for it long ago if I'm not inherently anti-social everywhere.

None of the protagonists are unlikeable, and Rikuo especially actually gets developed (and not just training arc powered up yadda yadda) from a nice and optimistic but rather weak character into someone more assertive and likable. Oh, and Yuki Onna is the best. Although this may be my bias talking, I seem to have a weakness for girls with long straight hair...

Of course, that makes for quite a shipping war within my schizophrenic selves between Rikuo x Yuki Onna and Rikuo x Kana, since both girls have the hair and both are nice characters that look good with Rikuo.

The only problem really is that the art can get *really* messy at times in the action scenes: pretty, but very hard to figure out. The mangaka might have taken a little too much influence from traditional Japanese art and forgot that manga is in "moving" panels and shades of black and white.
Old 2009-03-04, 13:54   Link #9
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

In the Gyukki arc, there's a few pages that show the grandfather and his band of youkai from back in the day and I can see what looks like a younger version of one of Rikuo's bodyguards, and there's also a yuki-onna. Do you think she's the same one looking after Rikuo now or a descendant?
Old 2009-03-04, 23:03   Link #10
Mizuno
Undefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
In the Gyukki arc, there's a few pages that show the grandfather and his band of youkai from back in the day and I can see what looks like a younger version of one of Rikuo's bodyguards, and there's also a yuki-onna. Do you think she's the same one looking after Rikuo now or a descendant?
Chapter 16 page 12, correct?

I think that's probably the mom of Tsururu, she's definitely more developed in her physique.

I also found something interesting about Yuki Onna in general, apparently they age much slower than human. I got this assumption from the flashback in ch42 when Tsururu was playing hide-and-seek with Rikuo. You can see the Tsururu 5 years ago is basically the same as the Tsururu of the present while Rikuo grows up normally like any human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
None of the protagonists are unlikeable, and Rikuo especially actually gets developed (and not just training arc powered up yadda yadda) from a nice and optimistic but rather weak character into someone more assertive and likable. Oh, and Yuki Onna is the best. Although this may be my bias talking, I seem to have a weakness for girls with long straight hair...

Of course, that makes for quite a shipping war within my schizophrenic selves between Rikuo x Yuki Onna and Rikuo x Kana, since both girls have the hair and both are nice characters that look good with Rikuo.

The only problem really is that the art can get *really* messy at times in the action scenes: pretty, but very hard to figure out. The mangaka might have taken a little too much influence from traditional Japanese art and forgot that manga is in "moving" panels and shades of black and white.
I liked how Rikuo defeated Tamazuki while in human form. I wonder if it was just a one-off desperate measure thing.

I'm also cheering for Tsururu. She's too cute but sometimes she gives me the impression of a caring sister instead of a love interest.

Yeah, I agree the art sometimes become a bit over-stylish and the transitions in battle aren't as fluid as you'd normally see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaluen View Post
so...I have a reason to suspect that it's very likely that Yura has caught on to Rikuo's identity as Master of the Youkai (for lack of better translation thus stealing what's available on wiki). No matter how you look at it, Yura was there during the entire conflict and it's possible that she also witnessed Rikuo's transformation back to his normal human self from his youkai form. The fact that she more or less disappeared after that may suggest a few things...
It might be possible she's away to seek guidance from her master or something. Seeing how helpless she was in the previous battle, she might be going back to training.

Last edited by Mizuno; 2009-03-04 at 23:23.
Old 2009-03-09, 22:34   Link #11
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Started reading this manga but unlike what you guys think of Nura, i find him very annoying. He calls them his "friends" too but doesnt care if they get killed or not just so he can live his happy human life.

I have a question for the ppl that read the latest chapter... Will the human Nura stop acting like the youkai world has nothing to do with him?
Old 2009-03-09, 22:58   Link #12
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
Chapter 16 page 12, correct?

I think that's probably the mom of Tsururu, she's definitely more developed in her physique.

I also found something interesting about Yuki Onna in general, apparently they age much slower than human. I got this assumption from the flashback in ch42 when Tsururu was playing hide-and-seek with Rikuo. You can see the Tsururu 5 years ago is basically the same as the Tsururu of the present while Rikuo grows up normally like any human.
I looked at Ch 4 Pg 7 and she mentions her mom so yeah that yuki-onna from back then is probably her mom it seems like.
Old 2009-03-10, 16:49   Link #13
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Started reading this manga but unlike what you guys think of Nura, i find him very annoying. He calls them his "friends" too but doesnt care if they get killed or not just so he can live his happy human life.

I have a question for the ppl that read the latest chapter... Will the human Nura stop acting like the youkai world has nothing to do with him?
He will, and pretty soon. You just need to catch up with the scan.
Old 2009-03-10, 17:01   Link #14
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
He will, and pretty soon. You just need to catch up with the scan.
Well i guess ill read some more chapters and see
Old 2009-03-10, 22:57   Link #15
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Rikuo gets pretty awesome, even in his normal form. You still get the sense that he's a budding talent and trying to grow into the role, and not instantly become super yakuza head all of a sudden. Which is nice.
Old 2009-05-24, 20:00   Link #16
Mizuno
Undefined

I know the scan is not out, but is that Rikuo's grandmother?? She's one beautiful woman! And his grandpa was a pimp...
Old 2009-05-26, 13:02   Link #17
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Apparently yes, that WAS his grandmother.

Nothing said love back then like seducing a woman by force. Tells you the values of that day real fast, doesn't it?

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Old 2009-05-27, 23:21   Link #18
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I think more has yet too be revealed.
Old 2009-05-28, 23:15   Link #19
Yaluen
銀髪冒險家兼少女殺手

intuition says the pretty lady dies due to involvement with Rikuo's grandfather, which results in said person flying into rage of some sort and later keeping sword as a keepsake.
Old 2009-05-29, 00:31   Link #20
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

but if thats Rikuos grandmother, she needs to give birth first

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen