Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2019-04-11, 22:05   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

New Rurouni Kenshin Movies (2020)

2 new RK movies to air in summer 2020.

This is material that technically covers the first OVAs on his origins as well as Enishi. Whether Jinchuu arc will be made remains to be seen.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 01:18   Link #2
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
People may actually cry if the Jinchu arc gets a live action adaptation and not an animated one.......
Old 2019-04-12, 01:53   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Better than nothing. Plus the second OVAs weren't even manga canonical.
Old 2019-04-12, 03:43   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yes! They need to do it quickly before Takeru Satoh is too old to play young Kenshin (aka. Battousai) and do those amazing moves.

If they can do this adaptation right, I won't really care about adapting Jinchu arc into anime anymore. After all, when it comes to Shishio's climatic battle, I prefer the LA movie than the anime anyway. Do your thing, Keishi Otomo & Kiyomi Fuji! And do it justice!
Old 2019-04-15, 17:44   Link #5
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yes! They need to do it quickly before Takeru Satoh is too old to play young Kenshin (aka. Battousai) and do those amazing moves.
I don't know about moves so he Satoh might have doubles. However, the idea of Kenshin's design is that he looks like an teen even in 28. They might use more makeup to make him look younger or simply retcon the time when he met Tomoe.

Now, the actress that might look more different than Satoh is Emi Takei (Kaoru). I mean, she is now a mother. Also what are going to with Yahiko? Is the actor gonna be a teenager in the second movie or we are having a third Yahiko?
Old 2020-02-20, 18:29   Link #6
kiak666

kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 22:45   Link #7
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
*sees 0:20*

OH

MY

GOD.

Is this real life???

IS THIS REAL LIFE??!!??!!
Old 2020-02-20, 23:30   Link #8
kiak666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
*sees 0:20*

OH

MY

GOD.

Is this real life???

IS THIS REAL LIFE??!!??!!
I'm surprised that The Six Comrades have made it in, since Gein and Inui has been used in the 1st movie (albeit they're very different characters compared to the manga ). I wonder how they'll handle that.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-03, 23:07   Link #9
jdotaku

this is great news I enjoy these movies and need to revisit the show
jdotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-25, 17:05   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final hit Netflix a while ago. I was really surprised since they don't have the other movies.

I liked it a lot. Admittedly, I don't remember the original storyline all too well, but one thing I do remember and I'm glad they changed is

Spoiler for Manga spoilers:

I was disappointed Sanosuke was little more than a sandbag the whole movie, but that might have been in the manga.
Old 2021-07-26, 07:23   Link #11
Johnny Dy

Weird... I've seen it like 2 years ago, including the final chapter.
I've considered it the best anime adaptation to date, and it still is.
Still, way short of the anime, but I appreciate what they've done here.
If it wouldn't have been for Aoshi who is a total screaming creep here, opposing to the anime where you can hear the blade cut his flesh, that how silent he is when he's being cut, the characters are pretty well made / acted. Aoshi is made like a clown, he's like the comic relief. They made a mess out of him. But the rest is quite well made.

This makes me remember of another action movie made after an anime Bleach, which I consider very good, well, at least the ending. Was in some regards better than the anime, that particular scene Ichigo vs. Kenji then Ichigo vs. the 6th squad captain, in the anime he barely put an effort while in the action movie, Ichigo made the renown captain clutch his sword in irritation to his opponent stamina. Soul Society arc / Save Rukia arc follows, but they will never make it, because it's nearly impossible to make in live artistic style.
Old 2021-07-30, 17:04   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dy View Post
Weird... I've seen it like 2 years ago, including the final chapter.
Considering it only came out last year in Japanese theaters, I doubt it. You're probably confusing it for the final Makoto Shishio movie.

This movie covers the Jinchu arc. And I just learned the last movie (ironically titled the Beginning) which covers Kenshin's past as Battosai will come out on the 30th on Netflix.

Edit: Today was the day.

I jumped at the first opportunity to watch the Beginning, and I was not disappointed one bit. My favorite movie of the five, it's a lot like the OVA in that it was more down to earth than the rest of the movies (no Kenshin running on walls) and anchored in history. That makes it work perfectly as a stand alone movie as well. As for how it fits with the rest of the movies, I'd actually recommend watching The Beginning before the Final. The Final spoils ALL of the twists of the Beginning, but the opposite is not true. I was actually expecting a scene at the end that would take place after the Final and acting as an epilogue, but nope. The story is perfectly self-contained.

Now the Kenshin live-action adaptation is finally over. Good job.
Old 2021-07-30, 20:21   Link #13
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually have high expectations to be met for The Beginning when I watch it. I consider Trust and Betrayal to be the best anime origin story ever made, if not the best OVA ever made.
Old 2021-07-31, 02:57   Link #14
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Considering it only came out last year in Japanese theaters, I doubt it. You're probably confusing it for the final Makoto Shishio movie.
Thanks, I see now what my mistake was, but it took me a while. I needed to read your post 2 times and a half to understand, and that is partially because I'm dumb but mostly because I'm a hard-ass fan of the series, seen it 6 times, but that is the core of the series, not the OVA's that begin or end it.
I never considered them true parts of the show thus for me "Final Chapter" only registered as the end of the 2nd nearby revolution = Shishio. The OVA's I always considered some weird fan-made-based whatever parts of the story so we can actually see the past and future of Kenshin, in a forced matter that hasn't anything to do with the author's vision, the only vision I validate as true. I never cared about the quality of it if it's not what the author had in mind, at least the ending, while the beginning was the author's story, just drawn without a manga support. That is how I still see it.

That being said, thanks again for telling me they made The OVA's into movies too, will watch them, of course.

Quote:
no Kenshin running on walls
Which explains why I said "not what the author had in mind."

PS: Dumb and sick - extremely "colded" and I've just finished watching 86 anime which made my eyes swollen and spill quite some distance.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2021-07-31 at 03:39.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-31, 07:33   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

To clarify, they've only adapted the past of Kenshin part of the OVAs, which as far as I can remember is mostly canon, they just expanded on it. The garbage OVAs where Kenshin dies of some illness have not been adapted, and never will be. "The Final" covers the last arc of the manga which never made it into the anime.

And I can understand your confusion since the third movie was called "The final chapter".
Old 2021-07-31, 11:21   Link #16
Johnny Dy

Yep. So he doesn't die here. Good, I'm about to watch it.

I've just finished The Beginning, (I wish they wouldn't call it Part 2, it just makes one confused, not only in what part to search <<I did search for The Beginning Part 1 for about 5 minutes to my shame =_=''>> but in what part is truly 1st chronologically, which is anything but smart; it's extremely stupid, let's admit it) like you've said, it was the best out of them all. But only because OVA < main arc in terms of story and characters and fight scenes (most of the things that matter), and because it was closely made in quality to the OVA, while the main series of the anime are clearly above the artistic movies. So, that's that. ^^'

Quote:
"The Final" covers the last arc of the manga which never made it into the anime.
Now THAT, made me even more curious. As I never read the manga. So... chances are I'm watching something new! Man, I never expected it on this series! You live, you learn. Just don't die! And you never know just what might happen in life!

Rurouni Kenshin The Beginning, The Final 2021 8/10 - I don't think anyone can play a samurai movie as well as the japonese, but the way these guys move is amazing, especially our main character. Actually, I think it's the best sword fighting artistic movie ever made. The fights are quite astonishing if you think about normal movies, not the anime or anime in general. They've taken moves from the manga / anime and turned them real, and for once, it worked. And that was no easy task, to imagine some moves is one thing, to try them in reality another, and another altogether to pull it off.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2021-08-01 at 08:56.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-10, 07:08   Link #17
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

You know, Kenshin going to a village in dispear was way too much considering the fake death in the original manga. I think the liveaction made this better considering here Kenshin remains stronger (though he never thinks Kaoru is gone). The fight against Enishi's forces was insane to the point it felt like Endgame considering even Sojiro Seta appears. My only complaints in the movie is that Kenshin and Enishi only fight once that the emotional support Kenshin receives in his dilemma is toned down. Yahiko not fighting kinda makes sense but I would love if in the future character is used like in the oneshot about the dojo taking hostages.

The Beginning was insane to the points its Kenshin felt more violent than the one from the OVAs (the ear!!). The character who feels significantly expanded is Okita considering he was always replaced by Saito in the media. Tomoe giving Kenshin the scar makes more sense than the manga because in the latter it felt like a magic trick and kinda shows more of Tomoe's pain even if she actually loved Kenshin.