AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-04-11, 00:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 939 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Yo, guys! That time is finally upon us again! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Old Hyou doesn't forget the way". Splash features Jinbei.

-Zoro reveals his true identity as a foreign ally of the Kouzuki clan to Hiyori. This gives the woman a sense of relief, as it also confirms that her brother is alive and gathering allies. Otoko knew the truth about Hiyori, as well. We also learn why her mother Toki didn't send her to the future: In case something happened that prevented the siblings from reuniting in the present time, at least Hiyori's presence would guarantee that the Kouzuki name would still survive. Back to the current situation, Hiyori is also searching for the same powerful samurai as Kinemon (Ashura Douji, Kawamatsu, and Denjirou), but unfortunately, she doesn't know their whereabouts. She even has a brief flashback of the time she spent with Kawamatsu in her youth, who's revealed to be a kappa.

-We then briefly focus on Bepo, who's being held prisoner and put under torture along with those sympathetic to the rebellion. However, he's still holding on for his captain's sake. Back at the prison mine, Luffy and grandpa Hyou are facing their next opponents: The alpaca man and Madilloman, a wielder of an armadillo-type SMILE! Luffy assists Hyou using his observation haki, while at the same time trying to test out an advanced haki technique that he saw Rayleigh and Sentoumaru utilize: the ability to harm their opponents without directly touching them! The rubber man figures that if he can master this technique, he'll be able to penetrate Kaidou's dragon scales! Old Hyou, recognizing the technique Luffy is trying to use, decides to demonstrate it to his young friend..... by using it to instantly beat down the alpaca man....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-04-12 at 07:00.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-11, 12:20   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So the old man still has some fight left in him, huh. Quite a bit in fact, if he can use such an advanced technique.
Old 2019-04-11, 12:32   Link #3
marvelB

Just updated with a few pics + details! Interestingly, it seems to be hinted that Kawamatsu may be a kappa.... which I think would be pretty cool if it turns out to be true. And poor Bepo, taking such a savage beating.... I hope Law rescues him soon. But of course, the highlight for me is old Hyou revealing his badassery in front of Luffy! Guess he's gonna be our hero's second haki teacher, then. In retrospect, it actually kinda makes sense that Rayleigh didn't teach him any advanced techniques, because I clearly recall him saying that two years wouldn't be enough time to fully train him in using haki.... he only had time to drill him in the basics. This really makes me wonder if DF awakening is also connected to advanced haki mastery.....
Old 2019-04-12, 04:48   Link #4
OH&S
Index III was shithouse

The steel cutting lesson from Zoro's flashback from Alabasta comes back now of all times!? Top stuff, Oda!
Old 2019-04-12, 07:09   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
The steel cutting lesson from Zoro's flashback from Alabasta comes back now of all times!? Top stuff, Oda!
Yeah, I found that a pleasant surprise, too! Wonder if this means both Luffy and Zoro will become capable of penetrating diamond by the time this arc is over?

Anyway, I really liked seeing Luffy and Hyou team up like that, with the former using his CoO to give the latter directions on how to tackle their opponents. Maybe they can trade pointers so the old timer can make use of observation haki, as well. Still, I do find it interesting that Queen didn't seem the least bit worried about Hyou's renewed vigor....

Also, cool to have confirmation about Kawamatsu being a kappa. I've even seen some theories going around that as a kappa, he might be considered a type of fish-man. Now I'm looking forward to seeing him in action once he busts out of that prison cell!
Old 2019-04-12, 11:06   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So it's finally confirmed that Zoro was the first person of the crew to use haki.

Luffy's observation haki has become really impressive. But doesn't Luffy yelling the instructions to Hyo basically tell the enemy what he's going to do? Shouldn't they be able to change their actions accordingly?
Old 2019-04-12, 12:17   Link #7
Rainbowman

Jinbe sure is taking his sweet time before reuniting and staying with his new crew. It would be surprising to see him near the end of this arc.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 16:34   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

By this time, i do hope Chopper can arrive in time with Big Mom to cause a huge ruckus. They need a big guns like Big Mom to make a chaos on the prison. By estimation, majority or all prisoners should be able to escape if Big Mom is there considering the huge chaos will be made.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-12, 17:02   Link #9
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So it's finally confirmed that Zoro was the first person of the crew to use haki.

Luffy's observation haki has become really impressive. But doesn't Luffy yelling the instructions to Hyo basically tell the enemy what he's going to do? Shouldn't they be able to change their actions accordingly?
The first time Luffy probably either just whispered it to Hyo or just spoke normally to him and their opponents couldn’t hear it especially with the audience making noise, the second time Luffy shouted to Hyo just as the Alpaca smile was attacking which surprised it.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 02:44   Link #10
The Small One

I was a bit confused about the building, where they imprisoned Law's crew and the rest of the revolutionaries. It looked like some really weak security thing, where they should be able to easily escape.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-13, 20:37   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
My take on it is that it depends on the opponent's reaction speed. Like Jmariofan7 said above, the alpaca guy was already in the midst of attacking Hyou when the old man followed Luffy's advice and took him out, so I don't think it's so simple to alter strategies mid-fight like that. It might be a different story if the enemy were also proficient in CoO, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I was a bit confused about the building, where they imprisoned Law's crew and the rest of the revolutionaries. It looked like some really weak security thing, where they should be able to easily escape.
Depends, I guess. For instance, the cells might be made of sea stone, which would make escape pretty difficult. And even putting that aside, one of the officers standing guard was the Oniwabanshu leader, who I very much doubt is a pushover. Yeah, I don't think the prisoners can easily bust out without some outside help...