Spoiler for Ep2 and Assets:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:25   Link #323
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makender View Post
My only question is who the hell pays for a beer with a 10,000 yen bill. If I was the cashier there I would have been royally pissed off.
It’s not a 10,000 dollar bill if that’s what you’re thinking.

10,000 Japanese yen = 122.1 U.S. dollars
Old 2011-04-22, 13:33   Link #324
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It’s not a 10,000 dollar bill if that’s what you’re thinking.

10,000 Japanese yen = 122.1 U.S. dollars
I think he knows that. It's just that in the US it's still frowned upon to pay for most things in denominations above $20, especially at a convenience store. (Although alcohol is expensive over there, so 2 twelve packs could easily cost you over 4000 yen from a konbini)

A lot of places have a counterfeit-pen that they basically mark every $50 or $100 bill that they get to check that its real .... if they even take bills that large. Some places won't even accept denominations above $20 which I don't see how thats even legal considering its still legal tender...

Whereas when I was on my trip in Japan I never once saw them mark a bill, and I spent at least 150,000 yen while I was there. (JP Post ATMs only dispense in 10,000yen bills as well)
Old 2011-04-22, 14:06   Link #325
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2011-04-22, 14:13   Link #326
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I think he knows that. It's just that in the US it's still frowned upon to pay for most things in denominations above $20, especially at a convenience store.
I had no idea counterfeit bills were such a big issue over there.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:15   Link #327
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Spoiler for Episode 2 and Speculah:
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:17   Link #328
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
I don't think they are, businesses are just anal about it IMHO. Since generally most people only use up to $20 bills. Usually it's just ghetto people that use the bills, I dunno why. They love carrying around all their money in $50 and $100 bills like it makes them rich or something. Even if they don't believe in having a bank account you could get it in $20s... They should know people don't like taking the larger bills.

And really, as long as the bills are of the newer multi-color gradient variety, they're darn near impossible to counterfeit convincingly I would imagine. Very easy to just look/feel the bill and tell it's real. (I think they even use a slightly different paper than for the $1 bills, at least it feels different to me)
Old 2011-04-22, 14:21   Link #329
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
It's an issue over here. Cashiers check all bills where I live. Also, you have to watch out for Canadian coinage as it's useless in the US.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:43   Link #330
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm somewhat disappointed. I thought it'd be a bit brainier than "supernatural fights with random economic terms thrown in".

Oh, well. I'll still wait and see where it's going.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:55   Link #331
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Its just messy to use such large denominated bills to pay for such small transactions. Counterfeit bills like the 100 dollar bill were a big problem with it being the most popular with Russian counterfeiters as I recall. Giving them that much change is just a pain in the ass too. That's my major gripe. Guess I would hate working at a convenience store in Japan.

Edit: Oh and if anyone ever tried to pay for anything with a $10,000 bill I'd laugh in their face for about a minute, ask them if they robbed the central bank's visitor center, and then tell them to get the hell out. This reminds me of the time I tricked my mom into believing I obtained a $2001 dollar bill complete with the image of George W. Bush gracing the bill. It is a magnificent denomination.

Last edited by Makender; 2011-04-22 at 15:06.
Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:29   Link #332
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Never really got the impression it was going to be anything brainy (girl with horns pretty much told me 'supernatural fights' in bright neon letters) so I haven't really stumbled upon any major disappointments so far. Minor one being the sometimes awkward use of 3D.

Speaking of 3D though, I did like how Masakaki was 3D throughout the episode. They should keep that. It really gives him a feeling of something not quite of this world.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 16:01   Link #333
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Minor one being the sometimes awkward use of 3D.
Like the time in his house, that was kind of not cool. I’m not saying 3D doesn’t work, cheap 3D doesn’t work. Out of the things I like, the use of English for one and the gibberish side-thing, it’s a nice touch. I also like the world in general, and the general mindset of the characters, it feels forced at times but overall it’s original and interesting.
Old 2011-04-22, 19:26   Link #334
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

I'm wondering...did the NoitaminA producers take some of the budget that would have went into this show and use it for Ano Hana instead? The difference in production values between the two shows is just night and day. Ano Hana has movie-level quality, while C is just full of derp. This has to have been a conscious decision. Maybe Kenji wanted the budget to be low to match the theme of money in the show and give it a certain layer of depth by improvising with such a low budget?
Old 2011-04-22, 19:55   Link #335
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's an issue over here. Cashiers check all bills where I live. Also, you have to watch out for Canadian coinage as it's useless in the US.
Yeah I remember a few years back when I was working as a cashier. You were pretty much ok with checking up to $50 under the scanner yourself, but had to call in a shift manager to check the $100. So they could be used, but it would be inconvenient to do so since you'd have to wait a little bit.
Old 2011-04-22, 20:11   Link #336
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Finally, the battle system seems very uninteresting. So far, it seems the whole financial setting thing is just there to sound cool, rather than to actually be used in real market operations, which I think is rather sad.
Having read some of the material that has been released in magazines, I'll just say that everyone needs to think outside the box a bit more. The box being economics/the market as we typically see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Whereas when I was on my trip in Japan I never once saw them mark a bill, and I spent at least 150,000 yen while I was there. (JP Post ATMs only dispense in 10,000yen bills as well)
You can get 1,000yen bills from them too. Oh, and in Okinawa, whilst US money could be used in many chain stores (combinis, or the equivalent of $1 shops), they didn't accept $100 bills at all.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:59   Link #337
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Still have no idea where this is going but at least it's a fun ride.

Time for some random seyuu fanboyism and trivia:
-Hakura Tomatsu,I love her in these kinds of roles so that alone would keep me watching.
-Hakura Tomatsu and Uchiyama Kouki are our lead duo here,both starred in Shiki as Natsuno and Megumi,the more I think about this the creepier it gets.
Old 2011-04-22, 22:06   Link #338
JediNight
キズランダム

More well-known roles for me for Haruka Tomatsu would be Nagi from Kannagi, Lala from To-Loveru, and Shiho from Zettai Karen Children.

Odd tibbit: The VA for Q did Inko-chan from Toradora lol...
Old 2011-04-22, 22:24   Link #339
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
-Hakura Tomatsu and Uchiyama Kouki are our lead duo here,both starred in Shiki as Natsuno and Megumi,the more I think about this the creepier it gets.
A fated pairing in financial hell after horrific deaths as vampires/jinrou? I like.

Makender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 02:13   Link #340
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Like the time in his house, that was kind of not cool. I’m not saying 3D doesn’t work, cheap 3D doesn’t work. Out of the things I like, the use of English for one and the gibberish side-thing, it’s a nice touch. I also like the world in general, and the general mindset of the characters, it feels forced at times but overall it’s original and interesting.
If you mean the time in this episode, that is actually one of the times where it does work. It sets Masakaki apart from the 'normal' characters and really turns him into something not-quite-human.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, finance, noitamina