AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-03, 01:53   Link #4781
Used Can
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Maybe the servants wouldn't chat with Genji, but I'll bet Kumasawa heard about everything that happened around that mansion. And Genji would have the authority needed to do something about it.
Sure, but as you said yourself, there are many servants, and rumours spread as fast as common cold, and I'm sure a cross-dresser would be a big topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Again, what do you mean by "convenient"?
Convenient as in 3x1. I don't get that even for my pizzas!
Now, jokes aside. 3 characters in one. I can easily bypass the head-count. I can also bypass death. Conveniently, no one ever noticed they were the same person. So, everyone got fooled.

I'll be honest, the biggest reason why it annoys me is because I feel as if my efforts were wasted. I thought R07 wouldn't really resort to this type of device, even if I did notice it long ago. You can call me butthurt if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Why does Shannon being Kanon make it less likely that she has another personality? If we assume that the Beatrice personality was the first one, then it seems clear that Sayo likes playing pranks. What better prank than tricking everyone into thinking that you're a guy? Maybe that's how Kanon started, but he continued for other reasons. It almost sounds like you're saying Ryuukishi was too good at creating a puzzle...
Oh yes, if we go by DID, nothing prevents the main personality to have several alters. Did you know one woman had about 54 personalities? Interesting, no? All the same, as an answer, I just don't like it. What else do you want me to say, mate?

Anyway, if the reason is it was all a prank, I swear I'll cry.

As for R07 and puzzles, he's not bad. Honestly, I'm completely lost with the epitaph. Personally, I think the Taiwan theory makes a lot of sense. And, if the Taiwan theory is proved right, I'll be honest and say I'd never have been able to figure it out. But, all the same, that's a puzzle I've enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
As long as the process that led to the three personalities is logical and realistic and has been hinted at in the story, what's not to like?
We don't know what this actual process is yet.
The problem is not really the process, it'd be simply the fact this was the answer. That's it.

Anyhow, mate, I've enjoyed discussing with you, I'm being honest, but can we please drop this argument? I feel as if we're going in circles, since we're arguing about tastes. Let's just agree to disagree, okay? I'll give you cookies.
__________________
"The name is Tin; Used is just an alias. I'm everything Shoe Box would like to be." - Used Can of the Aluminium Kingdom
Used Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 03:01   Link #4782
Arkwright
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Does said hint have to be in the exact same scene? If we already know that Kanon and Shannon are the same person from other information, that counts as a hint. Remember, the game couldn't be solved until EP4, so it has to be true that information from other games can be used as a hint. We don't know whether this lie is being told to Erika or someone else, so the detective being present is of no consequence.
By the same reasoning, we already know from other information that Kinzo is already dead, so it should be unnecessary to provide a new hint. But despite that (or perhaps because of that) it is still apparently necessary to say that Erika did not look anywhere else except at the mechanism. So, I don't believe that it's acceptable to show an illusion while the detective is around unless there is an explanation in the same scene.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 07:09   Link #4783
ijriims
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HK, China
There were two forms of Shkanon theory:

One is Shannon=Kanon before 4th Oct, 1986. Subtypes include that either Kanon was just a persona living inside Shannon (or vice versa), or Kanon/Shannon was a shadow servant created by mutual lies, or Kanon was imposing as Shannon before the family meeting.

Regardless of which subtype it is, since Battler (detective in EP1-4) had seen both Kanon(Yoshiya) and Shannon(Sayo) separately during EP1-4 (except EP3), it meant that one of them had to impose as the other. Considering their frames, it should be the case that Yoshiya was imposing as Sayo. This first type of Shkanon theory entailed that Shannon was nonexistent or dead before Oct 4th. It also meant that Kanon's makeup had successfully deceived George when he was proposing. However, is it believable at all?

Additionally, one has to offer a reason why Kanon needed to impose as Shannon or create a split personality at all, or why everyone would agree to cover the death of Shannon?

This first type of Shkanon theory can be summarized as "Yoshiya as the real person, Shannon and Sayo only as a separate persona or impersonification by Yoshiya, which all started before 4Oct 1986"


The second type of Shkanon theory is that Shannon=Kanon between the period of Oct4th and 5th. This meant that during these two days, one of them died after interacting with Battler. So there was no need for any cross-dressing involved if Battler never saw that person again (well in this case, it was Yoshiya).

Plausible reason can be offered for this type of Shkanon theory like Kanon was killed during the meeting and because Shannon did not want to alert other people, she hid Yoshiya's death. And because she only needed to hide his death for two days' time, it was more practicable than someone imposing as the others for two years. Also, George was not an idiot in this case because it was Sayo in person but not Yoshiya in disguise.

To summarize, this 2nd type of Shkanon theory is "Shannon lied about Yoshiya's presence after Battler had seen him. Of course this happened during the family meeting."


I accpeted the 2nd type of Shkanon theory but not the 1st type. And additionally, Shkanon theory does not apply in EP1,3,4 and 5. It is true in EP6 and possibly in EP2.

What do you guys think?
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 09:01   Link #4784
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 27
Copy pasta from the image thread since its very relevant here. First off, I will include the quote because, well, I feel like it. Then there is a long rant about how some theory might be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Spoiler for speculation:
Heh.
Spoiler for long rambling and stuff:


Yeah, that's for
Spoiler:
. Now I will go through the games again and see what's actually happening since I don't believe this bullshit.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 10:26   Link #4785
Antera Caramichael
French Maid
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers; France
Age: 26
Quote:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Spoiler for Theory destroying =p:
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 10:30   Link #4786
Kamar
Author Wannabe
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Ah, there we go, thank you.

Then either the closed room itself is faked (and there are many ways to do this. Like Battler says, we need to read more detective novels) or the perpetrator (one of the first twilight victims, most likely Shannon) is still inside the room when the others enter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antera Caramichael View Post
Spoiler for Theory destroying =p:
The 'everyone in one room' scene was from Battler's PoV, which was proven unreliable due to him not being the detective in the ????.
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 10:41   Link #4787
Antera Caramichael
French Maid
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers; France
Age: 26
But like I said, Erika the detective was also there. If Shanon wasn't there during that scene, don't you think she would be sceptical about this?
I mean, like Forsaken said, Shanon and Kanon were also reunited later, after the first twilight and there was no fake in it.
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 11:05   Link #4788
Kamar
Author Wannabe
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
But does the detective automatically look for clues? I was under the impression that while she'll find any that exist if she looks for them, she has to know to look for them.

I don't see any reason she would look for evidence that they are the same or separate, as she has no reason to suspect; piece Erika might not even know there are supposed to be two different "On" servents.
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 11:15   Link #4789
Antera Caramichael
French Maid
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers; France
Age: 26
Well, in any cases, both Battler before the first twilight and Erika after saw them as two different entities in the same place, right in front of their eyes. Even if one of them was not objective, it don't change this fact.
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 12:10   Link #4790
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antera Caramichael View Post
Well, in any cases, both Battler before the first twilight and Erika after saw them as two different entities in the same place, right in front of their eyes. Even if one of them was not objective, it don't change this fact.
Where in the game did it ever say that Erika saw two different entities? Give me a specific scene shown from her perspective.

Quote:
By the same reasoning, we already know from other information that Kinzo is already dead, so it should be unnecessary to provide a new hint. But despite that (or perhaps because of that) it is still apparently necessary to say that Erika did not look anywhere else except at the mechanism. So, I don't believe that it's acceptable to show an illusion while the detective is around unless there is an explanation in the same scene.
I'm not following your logic here. You're pointing out one single scene where they do show a hint and using that to argue that there must be a hint in every scene. I think it's much more likely that the hint in this scene was just that: a hint. This was added in to help us readers figure out how falsehoods work, not because it had to be.

Quote:
Sure, but as you said yourself, there are many servants, and rumours spread as fast as common cold, and I'm sure a cross-dresser would be a big topic.
You make it sound like there were dozens of servants on the island all the time. We know from EP1 that even 5 servants at once was more than usual, right? If Genji or Kumasawa was there most of the time that Sayo was, you're talking about "a rumor spreading" between 1 or 2 people. Yeah, I do think that could be handled over a period of 3 years, especially when the servants came and left all the time.

So you say "resort to this type of device" even though there are only two suspicious parts to this story: Jessica not figuring it out, and no one figuring it out during the family conference.
Servants were few in number and could easily be fired if they found out. Krauss never paid any attention to the servants. Natsuhi always looked down on them, especially Shannon. So as long as Ryuukishi can create a convincing explanation for why Jessica wasn't fooled (or didn't care) and why Kanon wasn't found out during the family conference, this isn't unbelievable at all.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2010-01-03 at 12:29.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 12:36   Link #4791
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Quote:
The problem is not really the process, it'd be simply the fact this was the answer. That's it.
Sorry to keep pressing on this, but it's the reason I'm doing all this in the first place, so please let me explain myself. You're perfectly at liberty to disagree with me on whether it was a good device or not, but I think it's more productive and more fun to look at things in a different light.

Try turning the chessboard over. So far, has there ever been a time when Ryuukishi included an element in his story that was unrealistic? Actually, yes: the existence of the Hinamizawa Syndrome, Hanyuu and a few more minor things. However, both of those at least followed the rules of common sense. If you can accept that Hanyuu and the Hinamizawa Syndrome exist, the rest of the story all follows logically for the most part, more logically than just about any series I've seen for a long time.

In other words, Ryuukishi would not announce the Shkanon theory unless he believed it could be accomplished realistically. And Ryuukishi has had a good track record on making things realistic. So, what I felt when I saw the Shkanon theory (which I was never a big fan of) presented in the game was this:

Ryuukishi must have found a way to make that plot device actually work.

And as the arguments everyone has raised make perfectly clear, that would be no easy task. In other words, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a big part of your argument is "there is no realistic way to make Shkanon work, so it's a cheap plot device". My argument is "Ryuukishi not only used it, but looks like he's extremely proud of it (unless he's trolling us again). Therefore, there must be some way to make it work that none of us have thought of yet."

The reason I've been disagreeing with so many of you isn't because I think Shkanontrice is necessarily correct. I'm just trying to see if there is any way to use Shkanon to create a good and solid storyline. So far, I think I've given parts of just one possible solution that gets pretty close.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2010-01-03 at 12:51.
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 12:57   Link #4792
Antera Caramichael
French Maid
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers; France
Age: 26
My vision of this theory is that is actually too obvious. It is one of the first theory for resolving the people number problem. And there, we have more and more clues that it can be true? I can't stop thinking this might be a big troll where everyone would be deceived, because everyone thinks this is the most logical answer to the 17 people problem...
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 13:06   Link #4793
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antera Caramichael View Post
My vision of this theory is that is actually too obvious. It is one of the first theory for resolving the people number problem. And there, we have more and more clues that it can be true? I can't stop thinking this might be a big troll where everyone would be deceived, because everyone thinks this is the most logical answer to the 17 people problem...
Well, making the theory in the first place might be pretty obvious, but actually getting it to work out realistically is a whole different matter. First off, you must figure out how "falsehoods" work if you want to explain the scenes with both Shannon and Kanon. Also, there are certain hints towards the theory that do not apply unless you use the full Shkanontrice.

1. The beginning of EP2. Shannon claims that she has never "seen" Beatrice, but EP2 shows several scenes of her and Kanon meeting with Beatrice. If that Beatrice was someone in disguise, she would have just mentioned it when talking about those ghost stories. In other words, it works out most simply if that Beatrice was something inside of her own head. Not only does that explain the EP2 scene, but it's almost exactly the same thing we're shown in EP5 with Beatrice and Natsuhi (notice that Natsuhi wasn't mentally handicapped in any way).

2. The test. The truth is, Battler never sees what tests George and Jessica were given, but if Shkanontrice is true, all three tests were exactly the same: 1. Your life 2. Sayo's life 3. Everyone else's lives. If you just use Shkanon, this pattern isn't as apparent.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 13:22   Link #4794
Antera Caramichael
French Maid
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Poitiers; France
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Where in the game did it ever say that Erika saw two different entities? Give me a specific scene shown from her perspective.
I come back a little^^
If we were to this, then we should doubt of each scenes. We saw Kanon having a reaction "That damn witch" and after Shanon's, the completely opposite "Is it really Beatrice-sama doing?". So, exept if they said to Erika that Sh/Kanon is Shcisophrene...
Antera Caramichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 13:45   Link #4795
chronotrig
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Buffer overflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antera Caramichael View Post
I come back a little^^
If we were to this, then we should doubt of each scenes. We saw Kanon having a reaction "That damn witch" and after Shanon's, the completely opposite "Is it really Beatrice-sama doing?". So, exept if they said to Erika that Sh/Kanon is Shcisophrene...
It isn't the opposite reaction. She isn't saying "Yeah, well I doubt that". It's more like "Are we absolutely sure?" The Japanese is a little more specific to this second meaning.

There's no evidence that this scene was taken from Erika's perspective. Therefore, if Erika didn't hear what Shannon mumbled and someone in the room still wanted to keep up the Shkanon lie, this scene could be shown. Remember, George and Jessica aren't in the room, but they're probably alive at this point. This could be hearsay passed on to them.

Yes, we know that we should doubt all of the scenes. The game has made it quite clear that these were the rules ever since "Kinzo is dead" appeared in EP4.
__________________
"The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter 'q' into a privet bush. But, unfortunately, there are times when it is unavoidable."
--Hitchhikers


www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 14:26   Link #4796
Arkwright
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
The reason I've been disagreeing with so many of you isn't because I think Shkanontrice is necessarily correct. I'm just trying to see if there is any way to use Shkanon to create a good and solid storyline. So far, I think I've given parts of just one possible solution that gets pretty close.
I have no problems with trying to work it out. Actually, originally I liked the Shannon = Kanon theory. But when I realized that the Ep3 first twilight red truth seemed to shut out the possibility, I mostly dismissed the idea and forgot about it. So I won't really feel satisfied if I don't bring my thoughts on these lines all the way through.

Well, all right. I'll try to tie together all my reasoning. Here's another way to say it.

The story we are told is not a purely subjective tale written entirely from the perspective of one person at a time. Instead it is a reconstruction based on the testimony provided by all of the individuals involved. When all individuals present agree to lie about what happened in a particular scene, that is the interpretation shown to the reader.

However, if too many people present offer testimony which differs from the person who claims a lie, it becomes difficult to impossible to present the lie to the reader. That is the practical meaning of the magic-resisting toxin.

Furthermore, the central character (detective) of the story has an incredibly high level of "toxin." Any testimony they provide will override testimony provided by other characters, and it becomes impossible to present an untruth to the reader when the detective's version of the scene will eliminate that possibility. Thus, in order to present a lie to the reader in a scene where the detective is present, it is necessary to offer an explanation not for why the liar believes the lie, but for why the detective did not offer their own testimony.


By this reasoning, based mostly on information provided in episodes 1-4, we can come to an understanding of the detective that is very close to what is presented in episode 5 regarding the infallibility of the detective.

Also, allow me to offer a thought on what red truth means.

Red truth is the representation of a verifiable, objective fact. Whether or not the fact is discovered, what is important is that the fact could be discovered by a perfect observer, armed with scientific tools and impeccable attention to detail.

This is supported by the ability of Erika to have her own observations elevated to the status of red truth. As an embodiment of the perfect observer, her own claims are the same thing as objective facts, and are treated as such.

In Episode 5, it was stated that the red truth could not be used to identify Kinzo's corpse. Other corpses can be identified in red, even if it was impossible to objectively test them to determine their identity without tools from outside the island, because they were once alive on the island after the start of the game, and from that point onwards, it is possible for a perfect observer to track their movements. Doing so will lead to a point in time where a living person must have directly become a corpse. This was impossible in Kinzo's case, because he was never alive on the island and thus there was no way for an observer with no access to the outside world to track his movements and find proof that the dead Kinzo was the same person as the living Kinzo.


In this way there are no problems with the red truth that exists thus far. While some red truth covers material outside the scope of the game world, a perfect observer in that location would have been able to verify those claims.

In episode 5, when Natsuhi is shown to be having tea with Beatrice, Bernkastel claims in red that Natsuhi is alone. This is possible because a perfect observer could have recognized that Natsuhi was alone, even though no one else was present at that time.

This is a single self-enclosed scene shown to the reader. Even though these scenes occur outside the scope of the game board, lies can be included and exposed, changing the reality that is presented. However, a lie that stretches across the boundary between October 3rd and 4th cannot be objectively denied, because when a lie exists in the game board it can only be denied using objective proof available on the game board.


By this reasoning, anything in red should be able to be taken at face value as an objective fact. As far as we know, there is no red truth in the story that cannot be taken at face value - while the consequences of the red truth (such as time of death) may not be what we initially expect, the basis of how it is presented has never been shaken, and after we know the truth we should always be able to read the red without having to bend its meaning.

Regarding the possibility that Kanon and Shannon exist as the same person but also as two people:

If Kanon and Shannon are treated as two people for the purposes of the red truth, there is no way for a perfect observer to witness the corpses collected in the first twilight and see six people. There is also no way to confirm the "death" of a personality or other concept. Because of these non-objective elements, it should have been impossible to state this red truth if that is the interpretation that was intended. Thus, Shannon and Kanon must be different people.

Now to go back to something you said a bit earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Oh, and you can't just ignore the other "dead" rules. Remember that the blue truth is needed to win the game. In other words, unless you can provide an explanation for why Beato used the word 'dead', a theory cannot be successful. Also, if that explanation isn't convincing and supported by hints and foreshadowing in several other scenes, that theory is much weaker than Shkanon.
Just to illustrate why I dislike taking red truth at anything other than face value, I will offer a different possible truth that requires less of a stretch than Shannon = Kanon does.

Battler is the culprit in all games! Knox's rules do not necessarily apply to episodes 1-4, so the detective can be the culprit. When Virgilia said Battler was not the culprit, she was referring to another Battler: Ushiromiya Jessica. The same applies to Eva-Beatrice's red truth in episode 3. Her reasoning for saying this was to ease his concerns about why Beatrice was running the game for him, and to allow Battler to come to this realization in his own time - like Obi-wan, rather than tell him outright, she lied simply because she felt it was not necessary for him to know until he could fully understand it on his own.

As an alternate theory along the same lines, Battler has been dead from before the start of all games! He died when he fell off the boat on the way to Rokkenjima and drowned. All of the games from then onward have been a vision of his soul in Purgatory as he witnesses the effects his life has had on the people around him, and to atone for the sin that drove his family to mass murder. The narrator Battler was simply an illusion or a view through the eyes of a different character, and any references to Battler in red referred to a personality inside of Jessica instead.

It has been stated that Natsuhi and Krauss were unable to create a child for a long time. Furthermore, Kinzo apparently cared enough to provide a child to the couple 19 years ago. It is certainly possible that he gave it another try. When Rudolf fathered two children at the same time, to save the family's honor, Kinzo intervened and forced one of the children to be given to Krauss and Natsuhi. It may even be possible that the only people who knew this happened were Krauss, Natsuhi, Kinzo, and Nanjo. Asumu could have been told that the male Battler was her baby, and Kyrie was told that hers was stillborn (as the official wife, Kinzo decided to give Asumu the right.) And while Natsuhi initially hated the concept of caring for another mother's child, she eventually grew to love Jessica as her own daughter, similar to how she grew to love Krauss.

The female Battler was given a new name to hide her status, and lived as Jessica. Stifled at times under her strict supervision, Jessica developed a separate personality where she could do what she wanted without the shackles of her responsibilities as the next head - this is the personality called Battler.


I strongly dislike a theory that makes Battler the culprit, or dead before the game starts, but I would say that they do have as much or more going for them in terms of hints and foreshadowing as the Shannon = Kanon theory.

Yes, there can be more than one solution. I just really feel uncomfortable going into this territory. Denying the basis, even for a seemingly good reason, is something that I do not want to accept. Because it feels like I can't accept that I can't solve a crossword puzzle as it is presented to me, so I get upset and cross out the boxes that I can't fill in and say "there, I did it."

So unless I can find an example that suggests any red truth is not what it says at face value, I'm inclined to say that it should not be bent.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 14:32   Link #4797
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Well, making the theory in the first place might be pretty obvious, but actually getting it to work out realistically is a whole different matter. First off, you must figure out how "falsehoods" work if you want to explain the scenes with both Shannon and Kanon. Also, there are certain hints towards the theory that do not apply unless you use the full Shkanontrice.

1. The beginning of EP2. Shannon claims that she has never "seen" Beatrice, but EP2 shows several scenes of her and Kanon meeting with Beatrice. If that Beatrice was someone in disguise, she would have just mentioned it when talking about those ghost stories. In other words, it works out most simply if that Beatrice was something inside of her own head. Not only does that explain the EP2 scene, but it's almost exactly the same thing we're shown in EP5 with Beatrice and Natsuhi (notice that Natsuhi wasn't mentally handicapped in any way).

2. The test. The truth is, Battler never sees what tests George and Jessica were given, but if Shkanontrice is true, all three tests were exactly the same: 1. Your life 2. Sayo's life 3. Everyone else's lives. If you just use Shkanon, this pattern isn't as apparent.
Hmm, what do you think of my version of the theory? I basically listed enough reasons for everyone other than Battler to go along with his/her farce. It would be pretty easy to pull that off with everyone but one new guy willing to accept both of your persona as separate beings.

As for 1) Even if she saw Beatrice, there is no reason why she should announce it, I wouldn't announce a meeting with a witch even if it was real -_-. Furthermore, even if the Beatrice she summons is something she created inside her own head, it would still count as seeing her because following your logic, Natsuhi accepts the existence of Beatrice as the alchemy counselor to be completely true and validates her own actions because Beatrice admitted her as her master. In other words, if you don't even believe you have met the witch, there is no way you could go on with the illusion to the point of believing a man was entranced with you thanks to the magic of the witch. But I guess where I am getting at is that its perfectly fine for someone else to be Beatrice and Shkanon to still be the culprit who is either in league with Beatrice or created that Beatrice in the first place. But I agree that given all the hints, the most likely scenario is that Kshanon was the child of Beatrice that died in 1967(doesn't have to be exactly that Beatrice, any woman would fit in as long as Kinzo accepted her as Beatrice, Kyrie, Asumu, you name it and it doesn't have be that Kinzo was the father, Beatrice was most likely a convenient story cooked up by Kinzo to hide the darkest truths of the Ushiromiyas but he got so absorbed by the tale that he had a girl he fell for become Beatrice, explains why the Beatrice Rosa met had the same features as the portrait) who could or not be the child Natsuhi apparently killed but was raised in secret and appointed as the next head by Kinzo (Ep 5, Natsuhi later on admits that Kinzo was actually concerned about the child and didn't do all that insane laugh thing), which makes him/her hold the mandate to have everyone accept him/her as the new Kinzo (explains Ep 4), have direct control over all the servants except Gohda (and that automatically pulls Gohda in since he still believes Kinzo is alive; also explains why Shkanon dislikes Gohda), enough pressure to have Krauss and Natsuhi give in to his/her farce, enough resources/power to buy in/threaten every remaining adult (he/she most likely also knows the secrets of everyone, and they all have one or two they can't share) and enough charms to entice Jessica and George. Maria is "small fry". And there have been enough hints as to why s/he wants Battler to repent, it could be the pony theory, it could also be that Battler was also from Fukuuin house (maybe even their twin?) and their sin six years ago was either the promise or unintentional murder of the other Ushiromiya Battler, who could also be Shkanon (because his mother needs not be the Beatrice that Rosa unintentionally murdered, anyone would do as long as Kinzo would hide that birth) or something. Yeah, either of those reasons is valid.

As for 2) There were two beatrices during the test right? This makes me think of two possibilities, either s/he literally had another person posing as Beatrice alongside him/her or he/she flipped a mental switch. Either one could be true but if we are to actually consider Battler competent, it has to be the second. As for Shkanon making the test not as apparent as Shkanontrice, it doesn't really matter who is Beatrice because Battler was given a blank slate to fill the name with. As long as Beatrice works for Shkanon, the test is simply to see if Battler likes them. Also, I don't think Jessica and George were even given a test tbh, it could simply be something like "Sorry, but I love Battler instead" and the confrontation that followed ended with murder. Jessica would know George died because they were called to the same place first, George got killed when he protested and Jessica was then forced to make a call from her room (which explains her "they got me" and how she knows what her corpse will look like, because she is told). Kyrie was never taken to Kuwadorian, that scene was a complete lie; all the calls were completely forced, the holes around her corpse could be gunshots or stakes thrown at her whenever she deviated a little from the script she was given. Kshanon explains all the episodes quite easily indeed.

But I get the feeling "Its too easy and therefore it can't be".
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 14:38   Link #4798
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
So unless I can find an example that suggests any red truth is not what it says at face value, I'm inclined to say that it should not be bent.
How about the red texts in EP4 that refer to magic?
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 14:43   Link #4799
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
Battler is the culprit in all games! Knox's rules do not necessarily apply to episodes 1-4, so the detective can be the culprit. When Virgilia said Battler was not the culprit, she was referring to another Battler: Ushiromiya Jessica. The same applies to Eva-Beatrice's red truth in episode 3. Her reasoning for saying this was to ease his concerns about why Beatrice was running the game for him, and to allow Battler to come to this realization in his own time - like Obi-wan, rather than tell him outright, she lied simply because she felt it was not necessary for him to know until he could fully understand it on his own.

As an alternate theory along the same lines, Battler has been dead from before the start of all games! He died when he fell off the boat on the way to Rokkenjima and drowned. All of the games from then onward have been a vision of his soul in Purgatory as he witnesses the effects his life has had on the people around him, and to atone for the sin that drove his family to mass murder. The narrator Battler was simply an illusion or a view through the eyes of a different character, and any references to Battler in red referred to a personality inside of Jessica instead.

It has been stated that Natsuhi and Krauss were unable to create a child for a long time. Furthermore, Kinzo apparently cared enough to provide a child to the couple 19 years ago. It is certainly possible that he gave it another try. When Rudolf fathered two children at the same time, to save the family's honor, Kinzo intervened and forced one of the children to be given to Krauss and Natsuhi. It may even be possible that the only people who knew this happened were Krauss, Natsuhi, Kinzo, and Nanjo. Asumu could have been told that the male Battler was her baby, and Kyrie was told that hers was stillborn (as the official wife, Kinzo decided to give Asumu the right.) And while Natsuhi initially hated the concept of caring for another mother's child, she eventually grew to love Jessica as her own daughter, similar to how she grew to love Krauss.

The female Battler was given a new name to hide her status, and lived as Jessica. Stifled at times under her strict supervision, Jessica developed a separate personality where she could do what she wanted without the shackles of her responsibilities as the next head - this is the personality called Battler.


I strongly dislike a theory that makes Battler the culprit, or dead before the game starts, but I would say that they do have as much or more going for them in terms of hints and foreshadowing as the Shannon = Kanon theory.

Yes, there can be more than one solution. I just really feel uncomfortable going into this territory. Denying the basis, even for a seemingly good reason, is something that I do not want to accept. Because it feels like I can't accept that I can't solve a crossword puzzle as it is presented to me, so I get upset and cross out the boxes that I can't fill in and say "there, I did it."

So unless I can find an example that suggests any red truth is not what it says at face value, I'm inclined to say that it should not be bent.
That "Battler is the culprit" theory is something I had in mind all this while and I am still strongly inclined to believe in that. It also solves the last puzzle given by Beatrice and should lead Battler to the correct answer, Battler is the only one alive at the end of EP4 and yet he was going to be killed, therefore, he was the Beatrice who was going to kill himself. It was never declared in red that his death wouldn't be a suicide or a murder by trap so the only logical outcome is that he kills himself. I have my doubts about Jessica being the daughter of Asumu (and Rudolf was by Kyrie's side when she gave birth to her child, if she was conscious enough to realize that, she should be conscious enough to know her son was given to Asumu, I don't really see Kyrie the jealous agreeing to that unless of course, she was indeed attached to the Ushiromiyas to raise money for her family, at least back then) but that holds for now.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2010-01-03 at 14:54.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 14:52   Link #4800
Archer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
That "Battler is the culprit" theory is something I had in mind all this while and I am still strongly inclined to believe in that. It also solves the last puzzle given by Beatrice and should lead Battler to the correct answer, Battler is the only one alive at the end of EP4 and yet he was going to be killed, therefore, he was the Beatrice who was going to kill himself. It was never declared in red that his death wouldn't be a suicide or a murder by trap so the only logical outcome is that he kills himself. I have my doubts about Jessica being the daughter of Asumu (and Rudolf was by Kyrie's side when she gave birth to her child, if she was conscious enough to realize that, she should be conscious enough to know her son was given to Asumu, I don't really see Kyrie the jealous agreeing to that unless of course, she was indeed attached to the Ushiromiyas to raise money for her family, at least back then) but that holds for now.
Unfortunately, your theory has a glaring flaw that makes it fall apart at the seams:

Beatrice is not Battler.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.