AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-10, 13:50   Link #921
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is a standard trope I guess for that to happen.

And this is Yamato. And while it wasn't so much the first series, later on it became a question of "who is going to live" rather than "who will die". Though the original reported the ship had around 40% of the crew die on that trip to Iscandar...it (generally) didn't effect the main cast. (though in 1975 the ship's crew was less than 150 people. In 2012, the ship's compliment is 999.)

But this is a different (though similar) show. And the cast is a lot larger now than before. In the original you had 12 ship based characters that were there and named most of the time (Okita, Kodai, Shima, Mori, Sanada, Tokugawa, Dr. Sado, Aihara, Oota, Nanbu, Kato, and Analyser). Now the crew has 23 characters. Of these I know of two that will die if they keep the original story about Iscandar intact (though one might be "mostly dead"). And if they keep the entire series through Final Yamato intact I know of only nine survivors from the crew list (and there are variations on that that could easily change who lives and who dies, as one version only has four on this list as survivors).

Of course seven of the 23 named crew of entirely new. I have no knowledge of their fate from before. (Boatswain Enomoto, Science Officer Niimi, Head Nurse Mokoto, Operations Warrent Officer Yuria, Flight Leader Sinohara, Security Chief Itou, and Security Warrent Officer Hosina).

My guess is all seven of these will die on this trip. But some have interesting potentials for later in the series...so I can't be sure they will die.

The other four out of the 23 (Yamamoto, Yabu, Yamazaki, and Hirata) were either added later in the original series run, or were reoccurring characters rather than main cast.
Old 2012-08-10, 14:37   Link #922
macdawson

It all depends on how much they will stick to the original and beyond. What we've seen ultil now is the basis of the whole thing so it was kept mostly unchanged, just with a lot more layers, character wise. Notice how much more character oriented episode 5 was compared to its original counterpart? There they jumped right into battle with enemy ships attacking (this was translated into the attack in the floating continent), missiles and all that. Here, most of the episode revolves around the characters, the action starts way into the 2nd act with the Haiyabusa launch. We know that certain events will remain but, although deaths are sure to occur, will they stick to the originals death roster? We'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, does anyone think the more trigger happy and brash side of the original Kodai has been transfered to Nambu? And that he's a bit of a douchebag? XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 14:46   Link #923
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nambu had a fanbase (which I found suprising). He's a bit trigger happy and less interesting in safing lives as he is in getting the job done. ( I watch this with a group, and the realist had the same responce as Nambu...just frag Pluto with the Wave Motio Gun and be done with it).
Old 2012-08-10, 15:01   Link #924
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The other four out of the 23 (Yamamoto, Yabu, Yamazaki, and Hirata) were either added later in the original series run, or were reoccurring characters rather than main cast.

But Yamamoto and Yabu actually first appeared EARLY in the first YAMATO: Without looking at the episodes, I recalled that Yabu was enjoying the snowfall on Mars at the end of Episode 4 — the same episode where Yamamoto appeared for the first (and last? I think we see him during the Battle of the Rainbow Galaxy) time — one of my books verified the scene on Mars. Yabu may also be in Episode 3, as they fire up the WME (I don't believe he has any dialogue until Episode 10). Yamazaki first appeared in YAMATO: THE NEW VOYAGE and Hirata in YAMATO III (both characters claimed that they had been aboard the ship since the original voyage to Iscandar).
Old 2012-08-10, 15:07   Link #925
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
On a late side note, does anybody else get the sinking feeling that black-haired guy and twintail girl are doomed for death and emotional drama when things get gritty late in the series? I have nothing to base this on in the way of material, but I just have this gut feeling that one or both of them is going to die when things start getting ugly later. I've been wrong about this stuff before......and also right about it. I just feel like they're the kind of characters who are doomed to die/suffer like Obright and his girl Remi in Gundam Age.
I'VE been saying the generic looking black haired guy was probably going to die since I first saw him

Mind, given how he seems to be reasonably plucky, now I feel a bit bad for him. Don't know if they'll kill twintails though.

Beyond that, I'd actually rather not dwell too much into potentially who could die (or survive), seeing as how I haven't watched the original Yamato before. I'm pretty much treating this as a straight original story so far.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 15:51   Link #926
August138

Twintails aka Yuria Misaki is going to stick around... She's the one who will be communing with Yurisha (see the connection?). As for Hoshina, we'll see.
Old 2012-08-10, 16:29   Link #927
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yabu and Yamamoto would be classed as reoccurring characters for the First Season. They didn't appear all that often and seemed more guest starring roles (if there was such a thing), as oppose to main or supporting cast, which you see in most episodes.

Yamamoto got promoted to supporting cast by Farewell Yamato and Yamato II.

Yamazaki, and Hirata arrived later. Hirata in more a guest star type role, while Yamazaki was main or supporting cast.

At least now all four are in the supporting cast from the start. Yamamoto seems to inching towards main cast, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 2012-08-10, 17:16   Link #928
August138

I know all of that; I was correcting your assertion that Yabu and Yamamoto appeared later in the first YAMATO; when there were in the first cours, or 13 episodes. They are denoted, along with Kato, Nanbu, Ota, and Aihara, in the original production model sheets, as "Guest Characters" (see below):

Old 2012-08-10, 17:38   Link #929
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well that is why I used "or" in the original sentance.

Quote:

Of course the likely read error is "original series run" in which I was talking about the entire series from 1974 to 1983 as oppose to just the first 1974 series. If so, that was my mistake.
Old 2012-08-10, 17:39   Link #930
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Of course the likely read error is "original series run" in which I was talking about the entire series from 1974 to 1983 as oppose to just the first 1974 series.
Or the more likely typed error.

(I've been a Yamato fan since 1975, so you don't need to explain anything to me. )
Old 2012-08-10, 18:00   Link #931
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Right.

Still this series is going to be different in some ways. The question will be, "how different?" They have not diverged all that much yet from the orignal plot, but starting in the next Chapter it looks like they will start to deviate in grander ways.
Old 2012-08-10, 18:10   Link #932
August138

Yes. Additionally, they're actually pulling in a lot of Yamato Lore from a number of different sources — including various novels and manga adaptations. Many of which, the non-Japanese fan would not likely be aware of.
Old 2012-08-10, 20:25   Link #933
August138

Yuria Misato and Toru Hoshina: Are these two doomed to die?

Hajime Hirata and Kaoru Niimi: Will either of them return to Earth with their lives?
Old 2012-08-11, 00:05   Link #934
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post

Yuria Misato and Toru Hoshina: Are these two doomed to die?

Hajime Hirata and Kaoru Niimi: Will either of them return to Earth with their lives?
Will the new female crewmembers survive? That's really what most people are asking

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-08-11 at 00:46. Reason: Must we use such a vulgar word?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 13:21   Link #935
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm gonna say, yep, they're Sooo dead.

Was there ever an answer to who was terraforming Mars? I'm assuming it was the Humans, since Mars seems to have a large ocean now.

Endless "Mr. Positive" Soul
Old 2012-08-11, 14:14   Link #936
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes, the Humans were terraforming Mars. There was a war between Earth and Mars sometime before the Gamilas arrived. Mars is now abandoned (though I don't know if that was because of the earlier war or the war with Gamilas. I am assuming the later since Yamamoto isn't all that old and was born on Mars).

As for live or die? Hirata I believe will live.

Yuria...she might live if they want to keep doing Yamato Radio for the whole thing...and she might be useful to explain any supernatural events or communications in the future. (but then they might also off her so they have to find these things out on their own)

Hoshina...everyone says he's gonna die just based on the massive numbers of tropes going against him.

Niimi? Well she is the oldest woman on the ship and Sanada is always thought to be lonely. If she dies he will remain lonely. Though I did like the one image of her working on building the battleship Andromeda. That would be a nice connection.

Mokoto might die on this trip. But that's a hard one to decide since she is the head nurse (that use to be Yuki's main role outside of radar operations)

Itou? I think he's going to die. Not for his smug look, but because without him they will have more trouble with the potental future space marines. Besides, the added the security department to this production for some reason. If not to off them, than if must be an interesting story.

And I am assuming Sinohara will die. Either freeing up his slot for Yamamoto as a squadron leader, or taking a bullet in her place. If he doesn't die, I will assume they will refit Yamato's hanger to fit more fighers (a third squadron of Cosmo Tigers). That is if they don't just leave her with the second Cosmo Zero.

Spoiler for List of fates?:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-11 at 20:06. Reason: Death list?
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 20:00   Link #937
snowdog03

Lightbulb Kanji

Quote:
Only because of the odd choice of Kanji, and the fact that the original and male Yamamoto was also named "Akira" (明)as opposed to (玲) — of course, the characters themselves have their own meaning. The former is "bright"/"brilliant" or "clear" and the latter is "a tinkling of jade" — hence her pendant. In EVANGELION, Ayanami's given name, "Rei", is rendered in katakana as (レイ), usually used for denoting a foreign thing (which makes sense) — there are a number of kanji for "Rei": 冷 (ice cold), 令 (command), 〇 (zero), 零 (zero/fragment), 礼 (manners), 霊 (spiritual/miraculous), 嶺 (mountain peak), 鈴 (bell), 麗 (lovely/elegant), etc., etc., etc. This just proves that the kanji employed means a lot more than meets the foreign ear...
Hi Gus,

I found this animesuki 2199 thread while googling for the english episode titles, I'm from the yahoo group.
I found this site for Japanese-English word translation recently, Maybe It'll help you out.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwjdic.cgi?1C
Old 2012-08-11, 21:35   Link #938
MasterVampire

Im loving this series so much!

Its going to suck having to wait months between new episodes though
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:13   Link #939
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is a long wait, but nowhere near as long as the wait for Yamato: Resurrection. That was I think 15 years from announcement to silver screen. (Then add the other 11 or so years back to Final Yamato in terms of long term waiting.)
Old 2012-08-11, 22:29   Link #940
Cyprene

Quote:
Quote:
Only because of the odd choice of Kanji, and the fact that the original and male Yamamoto was also named "Akira" (明)as opposed to (玲) — of course, the characters themselves have their own meaning. The former is "bright"/"brilliant" or "clear" and the latter is "a tinkling of jade" — hence her pendant. In EVANGELION, Ayanami's given name, "Rei", is rendered in katakana as (レイ), usually used for denoting a foreign thing (which makes sense) — there are a number of kanji for "Rei": 冷 (ice cold), 令 (command), 〇 (zero), 零 (zero/fragment), 礼 (manners), 霊 (spiritual/miraculous), 嶺 (mountain peak), 鈴 (bell), 麗 (lovely/elegant), etc., etc., etc. This just proves that the kanji employed means a lot more than meets the foreign ear...
Normally I would caution against reading too much into kanji names, but in a show where critical characters are named Mamoru (Protect) and Susumu (Advance)...
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato