AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-12, 23:13   Link #1201
Beltane70

I still can't stop thinking that the middle carrier looks like it should be in Macross instead of Yamato.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 23:56   Link #1202
GundamFan0083

Okay, I'm going to have to ask the geek-of-the-week question.

Wouldn't an open-top deck (traditional flat-top carrier deck) be pointless in outer space?

I know this is yamato, and like Macross, they are taking some creative license, but what use is the flightdeck outside of an atmosphere?
Old 2012-11-13, 03:34   Link #1203
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Deck parking. Also if they use gravity on deck instead of Zero-G like Yamato, they they might use regular flight ops to got the planes up to speed. (as someone kept pointing out to me during one of our game, fighters are pointless in space in reality).

Also they don't operate only in space.

I am assuming they'll ahve him use the newer battleship we way previewed in a magazine with the green carrier, Dommel and Dessler.
Old 2012-11-13, 11:10   Link #1204
GundamFan0083

Oh yeah, I forgot about that ship.

Also, I've heard the Trekkie/Trekker argument against starfighters and it's bunk, IMHO.
Considering the effective range of even the largest Phasers in Star Trek have a max range of 300,000 Km/187,500 miles (Page 126, The Star Trek Tech Manual, by Michael Okuda), starfighters like those in Yamato would be useful in fleet to fleet operations, planetary assault (surgical), and defense of the craft.
It is safe to assume that Gamilas, and Earth craft use antigravity to compensate for g-forces well in access of what the human body can take. The speed of their fighters must be considerable since they launch near Pluto's moon Charon and zip to Pluto in short order. (19,570 km/12,160 miles). I guestimate the speed to be at least 30,000 mph, maybe higher. Since I don't know what the actual speed of a "Space Knot" is, I can't get a good idea of how fast these fighters are. I know Yamato is supposed to have a velocity of 50 space knots, but what is that in mph/kph?
The point is, that when fighters are fast enough, they can be very effective weapons, even in space. The idea of "banking, turning, etc." in space is done very well in 2199. Especially with the Yukikaze fighting the Pluto fleet. It also gives a good idea of how banking and the like would work (via thrusters) when you're barrel-assing at high forward veloctiy then need to change your vector. If the vector thrusters don't have the "umph" of your aft engine, there will be some "swing" like a jet fighter even in a vacuum since it's not a matter of friction, it's a matter of g-forces.
Combine speed with ECM and other systems to make targetting your craft harder, and you have the perfect mix for space fighter warfare.
Old 2012-11-13, 11:33   Link #1205
macdawson

For those who can't get the Blu-Ray yet and are as unable as i am to wait another month for proper files to pop online, Chapter 3 is available online at the Bandai Channel site for 840 yen.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 15:41   Link #1206
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We know that Yamato (and probably Kirishima) made it from Earth to Mars in about a day. and this is Mars when it is on the other side of the Sun from Earth (where it should be in January-February of 2199).
Old 2012-11-14, 21:45   Link #1207
GundamFan0083

When Mars and Earth are at their farthest points from each other they're about 250 million miles (401 million km) from each other.

That would calculate down to about 2893.5 miles per second or .0156 C (1.5% light speed).
That's damn fast.
If the space fighters can go even half that speed then they're so fast that using them in combat makes plenty of sense considering they could cover 300,000 miles (the Star Trek weapon example) in about 3.5 minutes.
Old 2012-11-19, 00:35   Link #1208
MasterVampire

So when are the dvd's out for this next set of new episodes?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 00:46   Link #1209
August138

This week, on November 22nd.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:47   Link #1210
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
When Mars and Earth are at their farthest points from each other they're about 250 million miles (401 million km) from each other.

That would calculate down to about 2893.5 miles per second or .0156 C (1.5% light speed).
That's damn fast.
If the space fighters can go even half that speed then they're so fast that using them in combat makes plenty of sense considering they could cover 300,000 miles (the Star Trek weapon example) in about 3.5 minutes.
Unfortunately going at those speeds I don't think you could dog fight with eachother.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 10:57   Link #1211
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Unfortunately going at those speeds I don't think you could dog fight with eachother.
I would imagine that dog fighting would have to be at much slower speeds. Like what we see over Pluto, since going that fast over a planet would be dangerous as hell.
Also, I would think that while attacking or defending a spacecraft the fighters would have to slow way down to even hit their target.

My thought was as to whether or not a space fighter would be useful in space warfare.
Old 2012-11-19, 17:16   Link #1212
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I would imagine that dog fighting would have to be at much slower speeds. Like what we see over Pluto, since going that fast over a planet would be dangerous as hell.
Also, I would think that while attacking or defending a spacecraft the fighters would have to slow way down to even hit their target.

My thought was as to whether or not a space fighter would be useful in space warfare.
See, the problem here is that if your figheers have to slow down to engage...having a fighter screen is impossible. As all the enemy has to do is gun their engines, and zip past dog fighting range and move in for the kill on your capitol ships.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 20:01   Link #1213
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
See, the problem here is that if your figheers have to slow down to engage...having a fighter screen is impossible. As all the enemy has to do is gun their engines, and zip past dog fighting range and move in for the kill on your capitol ships.
Not if the fighters are using high-speed missiles or energy/beam weapons.
A capital ship is vulnerable to both at any speed, unless of course it moves out of range to use its weapons against an opposing force.

There is also the problems involved in ship-to-ship combat where one force tries to continually out maneuver the other.
Using your example, if the opposing ship attempts to evade, then the defending vessel could easily keep fighters in reserve to serve as a defensive group. Also, if your fighters are as fast as the types in Yamato, then it stands to reason that evading them would be difficult since your warship will still have to slow down to attack at some point.
Old 2012-11-19, 21:16   Link #1214
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think we will see more in terms of dogfighting come Chapter 4.
Old 2012-11-19, 23:41   Link #1215
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I think we will see more in terms of dogfighting come Chapter 4.
That's why I brought this up.
I'm really anxious to see how they handle the space fighter combat scenes.
I imagine it will keep some of the World War II feel of the original show, but am very curious whether or not they'll incorporate some more real-world physics into it.
Old 2012-11-20, 12:21   Link #1216
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Amazon just sent me payment request for BD #3.
Old 2012-11-20, 15:06   Link #1217
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Minor Character update (and slight site update) for Yamato 2199
http://yamato2199.net/character.html

Cammand staff for the Gamilas Battlecruiser from Episode 10.

http://yamato2199.net/character_neruge.html

http://yamato2199.net/character_lang.html
Old 2012-11-20, 18:09   Link #1218
macdawson

Though translations may differ i call those Vars Lang (from the planet Zalts and captain of the Meltoria) and Parn Neruge (gamilan officer aboard the Meltoria). August has also suggested Veless Rang and Balen Nerge. Ah, katakana, you cheeky things. XD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 19:55   Link #1219
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Against my better financial judgement, Chapter 3 is ordered and will arrive within the next seven days.
Old 2012-11-20, 23:55   Link #1220
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Though translations may differ i call those Vars Lang (from the planet Zalts and captain of the Meltoria) and Parn Neruge (gamilan officer aboard the Meltoria). August has also suggested Veless Rang and Balen Nerge. Ah, katakana, you cheeky things. XD
No, I didn't.

The first name is ヴァルス・ラング (Warusu Rangu), the given name seems to recall "Wallace", while the family name is "Lang", since this sounds too Earthbound, I suggested "Valess Rang". The second character is パレン・ネルゲ (Paren Neruge), the given name seems to invoke "Pallen", while the family name can be transliterated as "Nerge". I choose "Palen Nerge". I can't recall how the names are rendered in the subtitles.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato