AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-09-15, 03:21   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Lady of Burma, Aung San Suu Kyi

As yet no official release date for the United States, but set to appear on screens in Europe on October 2011.

As one would expect, Myanmar is not pleased.

Michelle Yeoh blacklisted in Myanmar after Suu Kyi film
Quote:
Bangkok (June 28, 2011): The actress who plays the part of Myanmar's pro-democracy leader, Ms Aung San Suu Kyi, in a forthcoming film has been barred from entering the country.

Michelle Yeoh, a former Bond girl, tried to enter the country on June 22 but was deported on the same day. An official told reporters that she was now blacklisted and would not be able to enter the country.

Yeoh, 48, played a Chinese spy alongside Pierce Brosnan in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies. She also starred in Ang Lee's martial arts movie, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

The Malaysian actress had previously travelled to Myanmar with Ms Suu Kyi's son in December last year, and met the Nobel Peace Prize winner.

BBC NEWS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 03:55   Link #2
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

An expected reaction. Still, will be wondering if the movie is good on accuracy and stuff...
Old 2011-09-15, 04:31   Link #3
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I am looking forward to a diplomacy problem between Myanmar and the rest of SEA once the movie screens.

Of course, unless MICA decides to be a group of douchebags and bar this movie in Singapore.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 12:22   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's really no good path here for the junta -- they're both a horror and joke the way North Korea is.. just with less publicity outside of the region.

Nice trailer for the movie...
Old 2011-09-16, 06:42   Link #5
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Why on Earth they use Malaysian to play as her?!
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 11:29   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Because you pick someone who sort of looks like the historical figure, is available for the project, and can act? I doubt anyone in Burma would have been up for the job since they'd be targets of the government afterward.

Morgan Freeman played Nelson Mandella in a film not long ago... he's certainly not from the African continent.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:34   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Is she going to beat anybody up with her bare hands in the movie?
Old 2011-09-16, 14:33   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Damn, I definitely want to see this film...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 16:17   Link #9
Sumeragi
Banned

I love how the people were waving the old flag upside down to portray their disapproval of the junta. However, anyone know what those striped flags are?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 19:17   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
For the same reason why a Chinese woman was chosen to play a geisha. Name recognition, and for some of the reasons Vexx stated.
Old 2011-09-17, 01:16   Link #11
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am looking forward to a diplomacy problem between Myanmar and the rest of SEA once the movie screens.

Of course, unless MICA decides to be a group of douchebags and bar this movie in Singapore.
If they don't want to, thinking it could cause some problems, Manila might be the next good place to screen this film.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:49   Link #12
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Because you pick someone who sort of looks like the historical figure, is available for the project, and can act? I doubt anyone in Burma would have been up for the job since they'd be targets of the government afterward.

Morgan Freeman played Nelson Mandella in a film not long ago... he's certainly not from the African continent.
Perhaps you need to know why I surprised to see someone in my country to play as her. First Malaysian people are supporters of junta government because they are anti-American, much like North Korea and Iran. These countries, at least to the Malaysians, have balls to stand against "the Great Devils" aka United States and Israel.

You know the late Osama? When he announced dead, Malaysian people gather in their mosques and have special prayers just for him, much like Osama is their messiah for them. Ironically they don't give shit about 4 Malaysian that died in 9/11 and one in Mumbai 2008 attack because Malaysians sympathize the terrorists more and wants to join them but fortunately there is a political barrier.

About the movie itself, its clear that Michelle Yeoh is not one of those Malaysians that I mentioned but I suspect that 90% chances of this movie never make its way to Malaysia in order to maintain good relationship with Myanmar junta government.

About Michelle Yeoh herself, she already get "Datuk" title(much like "Sir" for the Brits) just like their media darling Datuk Siti Nurhaliza(a singer).
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 13:15   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. not all Malaysians are Muslim (only 60%) and many of those don't even subscribe to the Middle-eastern Islamic sects. Also, the impression I've gotten from study of Malaysia is that the government doesn't *support* the Burmese junta so much as they just keep quiet about it (crazy people close enough to bite, make nice). The Malaysian government has plenty of its own issues with violent separatists.

As for "guy on the street" views, people are on the street are usually stupid and misinformed in any country ... so it goes.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-09-19 at 13:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 13:21   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This is news from the Lady herself, so I feel it is relevant to this thread. If there are objections, well, you know what to do.

Aung San Suu Kyi sees positive change in Myanmar
Quote:
Yangon (Sept 19, Mon): After decades of military rule, democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi says there are finally signs of political change in Myanmar, but its long-suffering people are still far from real freedom.

In an exclusive interview, the Nobel Peace Prize winner told AFP that the new government appears genuine in its desire for democratic reform, and said an Arab-style uprising is not the answer to the country's problems.

"I've always said I'm a cautious optimist and I remain a cautious optimist," the opposition leader said at her party offices in Yangon. "I do believe that the President would like to bring about positive changes but how far he'll be able to achieve what he wants to achieve is a question that we still need to examine."

After almost half a century of iron-fisted military rule, the junta in March handed power to a new government led by President Thein Sein, one of a clutch of former generals who shed their uniforms to contest last year's election.

The November vote, won by the military's political proxies, was marred by widespread complaints of cheating and the exclusion of Ms Suu Kyi, who was released from seven years of house arrest only after the election.

In recent weeks, however, the new administration has shown signs of reaching out to critics including Ms Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy party, which won a 1990 election but was never allowed to take office.

In a scene few could have imagined until recently, Ms Suu Kyi, now 66, met Mr Thein Sein last month at his official residence in the capital Naypyidaw, posing for photos under a picture of her late father, the independence hero Aung San.

Ms Suu Kyi — who has won international acclaim for her peaceful resistance in the face of oppression, and has been compared to Indian independence hero Mahatma Gandhi for her adherence to non-violence — said she did not want a popular revolt in Myanmar of the kind seen in Libya.

"What has to be done is a revolution of the spirit. Until attitudes change, until their (the authorities') perceptions of the problems which they have to handle change, there will not be real change," she said.

"Everybody knows that Libya's troubles are going to drag on for a long time. Even if they manage to clear out everybody from the old regime and establish a new government there are going to be so many problems — the bitterness that will remain, the wounds that will remain unhealed for so long."

For the first time since her release, Ms Suu Kyi was allowed to travel outside of Yangon last month on a political excursion, during which she drew large crowds of supporters — a reminder of her enduring popularity. In a further sign of opening up, the new government has invited a steady procession of foreign dignitaries since last year's election for talks with officials and the opposition.

"There have been changes, but I don't think we're all free or completely free yet. There's still quite a way to go, but I think there have been positive developments," Ms Suu Kyi said.

AFP
Old 2011-09-19, 13:30   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ms Suu Kyi will have to move an inch at a time. One thing the movie could do is put a spotlight on the Burmese junta as individuals. Exactly who is profiting off of this dictatorship, etc. At the end of the day, these generals and their buddies aren't protecting anything but the ill-gotten gains in their wallets.
Old 2011-12-01, 02:01   Link #16
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Lady released in France
Quote:
Paris (Nov 30, Wed): Myanmar's democracy leader, Ms Aung San Suu Kyi, gets a celluloid reincarnation today when a movie version of her life by Fifth Element and The Big Blue director Luc Besson goes on release in France.

Malaysian star Michelle Yeoh, a former "Bond girl", plays the title role in The Lady, a two-hour biopic that focuses on the private life of Ms Suu Kyi, her British husband, Mr Michael Aris, and their two sons.

Ms Suu Kyi's struggle for her country came at a high personal cost. Her husband died in 1999 in Britain, and in the final stages of his battle with cancer, the Myanmar junta denied him a visa to see his wife.

Suu Kyi refused to leave Myanmar to see him, certain she would never have been allowed to return.

"It was the price she had to pay," said Besson. "Thousands of people give their lives unquestioningly, simply because they believe it is a just cause."

Yeoh, who learnt Burmese to help her play the part, said she finally got to meet Ms Suu Kyi at her crumbling lakeside mansion in Rangoon, where she was under house arrest, as filming was winding down in Thailand.

"She walked up to me to embrace me and take my hand," she said. "She looks fragile, but she emanates great strength."

Besson also met the subject of his film after her release last November, when filming on the project had already finished.

He recalled finding himself outside the house which his team had scrupulously recreated "practically to the centimetre" in Thailand, where most of the film was shot.

The French filmmaker did manage to film some scenes in Myanmar itself, where he posed as a tourist and shot with a small camera. "I filmed 17 hours of rushes, sometimes with a soldier 3m away," he recalled.

The film's actors were then superimposed on the Myanmar scenes with the help of "green screen" technology.

AFP

Clinton begins landmark talks with Myanmar regime
Quote:
Naypyidaw, Myanmar (Dec 1, Thu): United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton begins landmark talks today with Myanmar's new leadership on the first top-level US visit to the military-dominated nation in half a century.

Mrs Clinton met Foreign Minister Wunna Maung Lwin in the remote capital Naypyidaw ahead of scheduled talks with President Thein Sein, a former general who heads the new regime.

Later today, Mrs Clinton will head to Rangoon, the commercial hub of the country formerly known as Burma, where she will meet opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is widely respected in the US.

US officials acknowledge that they do not fully understand how the Myanmar government makes decisions and whether recent reforms initiated by Mr Thein Sein's government are cosmetic or the beginnings of a genuine opening similar to Mr Mikhail Gorbachev's perestroika in the former Soviet Union.

The steps Mr Thein Sein has taken over the past eight months include relaxing restrictions on the news media, politics and business, but he has not relinquished any of the military's ultimate authority.

A senior Obama administration official said that Mr Thein Sein, a former prime minister, appeared far more open and well travelled than Senior General Than Shwe, the dictator who preceded him.

"He spent an enormous amount of time travelling outside the country in meetings, interacting with others," the official said. "And so, it's entirely possible that he had a chance to get a much better sense of what was going on in South-east Asia, how far behind his country was falling and what was necessary to take steps to at least address some of the challenges."

AFP, NYT
Old 2011-12-01, 04:56   Link #17
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Worldwide release dates:
France30 November 2011
Switzerland (French)30 November 2011
USA2 December 2011
Belgium21 December 2011
UK30 December 2011
Netherlands19 January 2012
Germany15 March 2012
Portugal15 March 2012
Switzerland (German)15 March 2012
Australia19 April 2012

It's 2011... Why can't we have simultaneous world-wide movie releases already? . Anyway, I'll probably watch this in early January. I think on Dec 30th people will be on holiday which equals a crowded cinema.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 16:11   Link #18
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Frankly, I'm amazed the Burmese government never just killed her (though it would have only martyred her etc.).

As for the movie, seems to have pretty good cinematography, and Yeoh is a pretty good likeness, but I'm always a bit wary of these big Biopics, they rarely tend to work very well as movies.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 18:04   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Frankly, I'm amazed the Burmese government never just killed her (though it would have only martyred her etc.).
because they aren't stupid enough. The Junta probably waited the option and figure it would be less costly to keep her under house arrest then execute her. Since no one, not even their own grand mother would believed it if they said she died in a accident, even if it is a real accident.
Old 2011-12-01, 18:32   Link #20
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
because they aren't stupid enough. The Junta probably waited the option and figure it would be less costly to keep her under house arrest then execute her. Since no one, not even their own grand mother would believed it if they said she died in a accident, even if it is a real accident.
Equally/more important, who her father was.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aung san, burma, myanmar