AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 7.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-31, 06:10   Link #41
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
About "cheesy" ending - it would be cheesy if those two girls just ran into sunset. In reality Kuroko kinda challenges Ueharu about who runs faster and the next moment she teleports ahead, hehe. Very nice touch, and the whole scene does great job in portraying Kuroko even more deeply.
I know, I watched the episode. And how does that not = "cliched, eye-cringing run off into the sunsent together scene"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Once again, I find the idea of expecting Railgun to be "something" pretty silly.
I'd have to say I find this line itself pretty silly. Manga knowledge or not, with white flying monsters along with other elements in the OP, I'd find it silly for people to not expect "something."

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-10-31 at 06:20.
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 06:17   Link #42
ReddyRedWolf

Mikoto Misaka: I'm just a passing through Railgun... Remember it!
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 06:41   Link #43
deranged_02

kuroko!!!!!!!!!!!
deranged_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 07:22   Link #44
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Mikoto Misaka: I'm just a passing through Railgun... Remember it!
Is this passing-through thing a fad here in Railgun. It's like all of them were fated to meet....
Wait, they are fated to meet

...it's hard to do something when you don't have time because of work - missing my NEET days
rurupeceaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 07:31   Link #45
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
In terms of the bad guy's ability: isn't it only dangerous if you're being held in place, or running into it yourself with fairly high momentum? Sure that means it's highly destructive to buildings, but in a combat situation if you just stand there it's pretty much just like something slowly pushing you.
Well yeas it's an anime
Also his ability was to make something move forever. Even if the speed is low it' doesnt slow down thus it's not affected by friction. It passes through everything like it's not even there so it should be deadly if it touches you. And if you don't know what it is you might get hit if you think it's not dangerous.
But again even if it's not affected by friction, the resistance of other materials and has a constant speed the thing that is trown should actually break if it hits something harder than it. So yes it's an anime - don't think too much about it since like in the moives 90% doesn't make sense and it's not logically or even physically possible

I'll write about the episode itself later.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 08:14   Link #46
Thoguht

Quote:
Suspension of Disbelief
There's only so much disbelief that one can suspend per scene or episode or series, and it's to an extent dependent on how good everything else is. We forgive James Bond or masked ninja #27 doing impossible stunts because it adds excitement to an already-exciting scene in progress. However, if the moment you see a situation, you think "why doesn't character xxxxx do yyyyy?" then that shows disrespect for the intelligence of the viewer. For example, they covered the "why doesn't Kuroko teleport herself out of trouble" point with an explanation. However, there were other points left unanswered - for example, why didn't she just teleport the bad guy 20ft into the air?
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 08:33   Link #47
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
There's only so much disbelief that one can suspend per scene or episode or series, and it's to an extent dependent on how good everything else is. We forgive James Bond or masked ninja #27 doing impossible stunts because it adds excitement to an already-exciting scene in progress. However, if the moment you see a situation, you think "why doesn't character xxxxx do yyyyy?" then that shows disrespect for the intelligence of the viewer. For example, they covered the "why doesn't Kuroko teleport herself out of trouble" point with an explanation. However, there were other points left unanswered - for example, why didn't she just teleport the bad guy 20ft into the air?
And those kinds of questions are exactly the reason why my freinds and I laugh so hard in recent years when we watch a movie. If we go by that logic I feel like they've been desrespecting my intelligence for a long time If there's at lest one thing that can't possible be real in a movie or anime there's always another way for the plot to go and often it's a more logical and natura way. You can ask a lot of things "why not teleprot him 20ft up" "why not teleport your shoes in the middle of his arm and break it" "Why not teleport something heavy over him and just drop it"...and etc. If you ask those kinds of questions you will without a doubt find things that are illogical, stupid, funny and could have been a done in a thousand different ways. The reason it's not is simple - the directors deiced to do it like that and they used it to develop a character. Otherwise the situation would have been completely different and it wouldn't serve the right purpose for the development they wanted.
Old 2009-10-31, 09:12   Link #48
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A very nice flashback episode. It's good to see their past and the mistakes they made when they were young and their resolution to become better.

BTW, i notice that Mikoto in the flashback looks the same in the present...... Uiharu & Kuroko grew up so big & fast for being Grade Schoolers.
I kinda wish that show Komori senpai's partner from the manga.
Old 2009-10-31, 09:13   Link #49
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Two weeks in a row.

Not bad JC Staff.

And yes, that was character development.

8/10
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 10:07   Link #50
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I'm downloading Railgun 5 atm, but I'll just leave a note that our dear railgun has appeared in another anime as A Certain Imouto Ushiromiya.
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaah????

Well Kuroko is one of my favorites, I only don't liker the way that how is being ridiculized in the anime with more and more yuri antics D=.

10...-1 for the cheesy end...and -1 for remind me the version of Kuroko in the anime, when she is serious is better in the fights than Mikoto self.

P.S: MeisterBabylon... you failed me...

Last edited by Miraluka; 2009-10-31 at 21:15.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 10:14   Link #51
Joe_fh

About the episode - it was really good.
I think it was actally the first episode to give s any decent character development (not counting the first since I consider it an introduction).
It had great character interaction.
It had an interesting and intense plot even if it was a stand alone one. Well that's expected for a flashback so nothing wrong with it.
We actaully saw how their characters developed, the mistakes they made in the past and what they did in order to not make those mistakes again. You could say the lerned form their mistakes but well - not really if you look at the start of the episode

Also it was nice to see another side of Kuroko as actually a normal girl. We knew she cares a lot of her friends but it was never shown in such a clear way. She actaully thought she could do everything on her own and she saw the consequences of her rushed actions. It could have been done a bit better but no complaining.

It was also really funny when Kuroko said that she's sure Railgun is arrogant and annoying girl and now she's all over her
Now that's development - her character changed drastically due to those events and it was shown in really good way. And we saw Uharu's loving and caring character as well. She hasn't changed much since then in terms of personality but she was really important since I think it was because of her that Kuroko changed in the first place.
And of course Misaka was there just passing by and saving the day without anyone noticing XD Seriously that was quite funny.

Ah and now I noticed why Kuroko didn't teleport that guy outside. She needs to touch him directly and she was pinned on the floor so she could reach his hands or face. He was wearing long trousers so she could teleport those but not him. Uiharu was wearing a skirt so her legs could be touched directly. So you see there's a logical explanation for that as well
The young Uiharu nad Kuroko were really cute though
i actually like Kuroko's character a lot when she's serious and dosesn't go oneesama oneesama all the time.

And I agree the last scene was relly cheesy.
Old 2009-10-31, 11:10   Link #52
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I say it was because of Touma..needs more of him. the whole series is full of only females with males in the background. girl power is nice and all, but these girls need a man or two to balance them out.
No way! What this show needs is more lolis, yuri and ecchi, and that's what they do so far. Great job!
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 11:24   Link #53
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I believe Kuroko couldn't teleport the guy because her powers back then weren't as powerful, she was probably still a level 3. It is quite possible she could only teleport Uiharu due to her size, and the robber was too large.

Not to mention the points about him being able to easily escape, or take hostages outside of Kuroko's abilities to prevent him from doing so.

She even bluffed him by threatening to teleport his head off, because I believe it has been mentioned she is incapable of doing that before. (possibly in the manga or Index)
Old 2009-10-31, 11:35   Link #54
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
EP 5, SUBS

so its about Kuroko & Uiharu's flash-back (Uiharu is so moe! i died! ) , but what again!?

so during that time, Kuroko haven't yet master her self-Teleportation powers but can only Teleport others than her own body?

but loli Kuroko is a super woman Esper!, capable of knocking a full grown adult into COMA!
& poor X-ray vision sempai

the bank's security systems suck like crap @#$%!!, seriously? there is no macho-looking security guards/super Espers/ Anti-Skills guarding that place!?

with only some LAME staff, who only knows how to push a button that would cause them to die along with the intruders by getting trapped in the building!? & a FAIL Tachikoma-wannabe robo cop, who's armour plating could not even witstand a BAZOOKA attack!?

& there is NO police station nearby aswell!?, also the cops & Anti-Skills are so damn SLOW & TOO LATE!!

is it just me that Kuroko's motto sounded like something out of Naruto?

& i WAS hoping that Misaka would pull a Major Kusanagi style stunt towards the bank so Kuroko would see her in a LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT fashion cliche!!

instead of just zapping the bad guy's super speed BB pelets through the hole made by the bad guy himself earlier so our yuri hero can also ALMOST sent him into COMA much like his buddy
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 11:48   Link #55
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I'd have to say I find this line itself pretty silly. Manga knowledge or not, with white flying monsters along with other elements in the OP, I'd find it silly for people to not expect "something."
Did you just totally not understand my post? This isn't about action. It's about whether Railgun should revolve around a central plot or be episodic. So far I'm content with the episodic action episodes of this show.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 12:13   Link #56
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Plus if he fired those at the bank he could hit hostages if he didn't feel like stopping them.
Speaking of that, I wonder how many people got barbecued by Mikoto's railgun... After all, it's not like she has the ability to see through the shutters and the railgun went all the way to the other end, so anyone in front of the railgun would have got hit.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 12:50   Link #57
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

There was already a hole in the shutters.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 13:01   Link #58
LaoED

Good episode, this is actually how far I got into the translated bit of the railgun manga. It really is strange to see Kuroko and Uiharu look different from their past selves. Mikoto however....eh, what was the time skip? 1-2 years?
LaoED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 13:06   Link #59
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I'm liking this show more and more.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 13:08   Link #60
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
And those kinds of questions are exactly the reason why my freinds and I laugh so hard in recent years when we watch a movie. If we go by that logic I feel like they've been desrespecting my intelligence for a long time If there's at lest one thing that can't possible be real in a movie or anime there's always another way for the plot to go and often it's a more logical and natura way. You can ask a lot of things "why not teleprot him 20ft up" "why not teleport your shoes in the middle of his arm and break it" "Why not teleport something heavy over him and just drop it"...and etc. If you ask those kinds of questions you will without a doubt find things that are illogical, stupid, funny and could have been a done in a thousand different ways. The reason it's not is simple - the directors deiced to do it like that and they used it to develop a character. Otherwise the situation would have been completely different and it wouldn't serve the right purpose for the development they wanted.
Exactly. There are things in books / movies that are defined purely by author's will and his desire to propagate certain design. And if such thing proves to be "illogical", the author can supply an explanation - why it is the way it is (he's the god of his virtual universe, he can change it as he wants). For example, Kuroko didn't teleport herself cause she didn't know the skill at that time. But geez, is he, the author, obliged to explain every little thing in his work? Isn't the knowledge that he CAN do it enough for you guys? Just do YOUR part of work - think up the explanations yourselves. (Kuroko can't teleport people as easily as items; Kuroko must hold the object for a few seconds before teleporting and the villain didn't let her to grip himself; etc.)

And, of course, there is another "class" of "inconsistencies" in works of fiction - namely when the "logic of work of art" overtakes the "logic of common sense".
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-10-31 at 13:17. Reason: spelling
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote