AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-07, 14:19   Link #21
TJR

In the future, social features are also expected to be the norm, hence the focus on player cooperation.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 14:35   Link #22
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

which means SimCity 4 was last SimCity game i buy.
Old 2012-03-07, 14:57   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This requires internet connection? Hmm, a game that requires you to be constantly connected to even play it. I might pass depending on how it goes.
Old 2012-03-07, 17:38   Link #24
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Oh cool new simcity game. I loved the last one, but a new one is welcome. If that video is indicative of how the game will look (not play apparently, little flash text popped up) then it will def allow for some seriously cool buildings and design.

Always on sucks though, it's not that good as a DRM method either. Unless the important stuff is saved server side it'll just be pirated around. I also liked playing simcity while I was on traveling and didn't have Internet. It was my go to game for that. I really couldn't care for the social networking BS they keep pushing. I dont want the possibility of some schlub ruining my grand design. But we'll see.
Old 2012-03-09, 21:54   Link #25
Mr Hat and Clogs

Video's from the GDC.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Devs chat on Reddit

I hope that it isn't Origin exclusive and that they (more in general really) pull their heads out of their asses in regards to pricing. When the AU$ is worth just as much or more then the US$ why do we have to pay upwards of $40 more.
Old 2012-03-09, 23:32   Link #26
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post

2nd video:
Hmm. I did not like how goods were handled in SimCity 4, because they were 100% sent out of the city. Therefore, all freight traffic aimed out of the city. Commerical zones need goods too, right?

3rd video:
Great. Simulating the effects of pollution on health, which would affect "workers" and productivity as a whole.

4th video:
To my citizens: I'm a pyromaniac! XD
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 23:38   Link #27
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Ohh a new SimCity groovy!

........oh wait constant internet connection?

No thanks. Guess I'll have to stick with the old SimCity games.

NOt even sure I'd actually be into a Simcity these days even tho I did play it alot back in the day.
I liked SimCity 4 alot but think I played 3000 alot more, Simcity along with Football Manager games were massive massive time sinks for me.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:02   Link #28
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
OMFG!

Yea I've loved Sim City 2, 3, and 4 a lot. I liked 4 the best because you couldn't herp derp by skimping on utilities (Water was worthless in 2k) But I missed the arcos.

I also liked deleting bridges when people were driving across them. Yea, I'm an asshole.

There were also a ton of mods and addons you could have. Having a ton of starbucks plop up in my suburbs so I could knock them off was amusing as well. The region system would let you have a large city, and then you could proceed to create suburban spinoffs that could leech off the major cities.

Though I'd break the suspension of disbelief by creating a ton of garbageville cities (Cities that just generate power and collect trash, and I'd never go back to them again.

The best part of Sim City is the subway system. Good thing it's not mixed into the water system like 2. So space efficient but elegant.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:38   Link #29
Kyuu
=^^=

http://kotaku.com/5896976/simcity-is...e-to-its-roots

Now with moar details!

And on the multiplayer part:

Quote:
Multiplayer takes place across two different fields—there are leaderboards which contribute to something of a global economy, and there are more local areas that you can share with an unspecified number of other cities. Thousands of players may be on a server. Those games play out about how you would expect—resources are shared, which means that pollutants are also shared. Cities will have to work together to get the most out of a region's resources, which could lead to some interesting multiplayer dynamics.

The multiplayer itself plays out asynchronously.
Quote:
One of the cities was the "green" city and the other the "brown" city. This isn't to say that the green city was necessarily better—the mayor of that city had to run his city with wind power and didn't have enough juice to get anything resembling a powerful industrial region off the ground. Though yeah, "brown" kinda sounds judgmental. Let's go with "coal" city.

The coal city had a ton of readily available power, and, despite its lack of greenery and lakeside views, had a decent economy. But the green city would need more power, and the coal city would need more water; they seemed to be stuck. As Librande described it, in a past SimCity game this would have been endgame. "We would have just sent in a tornado and been done with it."

SimCity's multiplayer changes that. Now, the two mayors can build roads to connect to one another and share resources. Water can be sent over from the green city, and power lines can be run from the coal city. In a humorous touch, Librande noted that sometimes, the player in the coal town might see a limo pulling up to his coal depot—that would be the CEO of the coal company commuting from his home in the more residential green city. Ha!
Y'know... part of me would want to be that jerk pollutant neighbor... maybe. But I'll prefer the clean type.
Old 2012-03-28, 14:49   Link #30
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I am going to build a ton of coal power plants right on the border. What you gonna do??
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 15:20   Link #31
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
What you gonna do??
Bitch about it. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The human response to another city's policies will be... interesting for sure. It'll all come down to how people will deal with these things, which will create some very dynamic situations.

On that note, I'll be curious on the role of airports this time - to create connections to cities "farther out".
Old 2012-03-28, 16:45   Link #32
Mr Hat and Clogs

Build many nuclear plants then force them into meltdown! Irradiate the region for justice!

But if you wanted to be a grand prick, around the edge of you map build landfill and coal power plants.

Call me crazy, but couldn't you sell/buy power and stuff from you neighbors anyway? I'm quite certain that was a feature of most of my regions. So what's new here? Sharing the pollution?

I guess the MO for building a new city will be to claim a few cities bordering each other all at once so you can set your little economies how you want them. Won't have to deal with those schlubs that come along later.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:08   Link #33
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Would they share in disasters? Like if that microwave power station's orbital laser should go off course and casually burn a path through the neighboring city....
Old 2012-03-28, 19:09   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Bitch about it. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The human response to another city's policies will be... interesting for sure. It'll all come down to how people will deal with these things, which will create some very dynamic situations.

On that note, I'll be curious on the role of airports this time - to create connections to cities "farther out".
Combining your first sentence with your second, I am starting to have images of players crashing their planes into their polluting neighbour's high-rises...

"SimCity 5 expansion: Sims At War!"
(SAW for short)
Old 2012-03-28, 20:27   Link #35
Mr Hat and Clogs

Sounds like the possibility for a Civ like expansion lol.
Old 2012-03-28, 21:20   Link #36
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

City drama ensues.
Old 2012-03-28, 22:56   Link #37
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Sounds like the possibility for a Civ like expansion lol.
In Starcraft, the layout of buildings is called Simcity. In fact RTS is really just hostile expansion of territory.

Giving Simcity 5 the ability to deliberately harm the economy of your neighbours, will in fact turn it into an RTS. The trailers got it all wrong; people who play on-line don't want to cooperate, they want to compete. Those guys aren't going to hold hands and make treaties, they are going to go out try to destroy one another. Why do you think The Sims become a murder simulator?

Most people who want to play Simcity in peace and quiet, are those who deliberately want to play off-line. I myself am far from mastering Simcity 4, and as such will stay with the old game.

I find it amusing that the trailers assume that there would only be a few griefers; The first few weeks of the game's release is going to get ugly.
Old 2012-03-29, 07:57   Link #38
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
City drama ensues.
Players can fight each other... with... lawsuits! Dun dun dun....
Old 2012-03-29, 08:12   Link #39
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Players can fight each other... with... lawsuits! Dun dun dun....
Are you forgetting that pollution is shared?

If someone build a giant landfill all around his city boundary, he can do damage to everyone unlucky enough to be next to him.

And lawsuits? You are being naive. As I said earlier, gamers are a vengeful lot. If there is an option to carry out terrorist acts, they would take it.
Old 2012-03-29, 08:18   Link #40
Mr Hat and Clogs

That's why when I build my city(ies) I'm claiming at least a 10x10 or as near as I can get area in the regions. I'll use the outer layer as a buffer from everyone's pollutions and annoyances. Those boarder cities can be trading posts, nothing more, to the real city(ies).