AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-12-14, 01:28   Link #321
marvelB

Bumping again!

Now, I was originally going to post this in the Straw-Hat Theater thread, but I didn't feel like fishing around for it, and ultimately decided that this was special enough to be included in this thread instead. So, some of you may recall the Straw-Hat Theater comics that Oda includes in the Logs (basically magazine-sized collections of past OP story arcs that serve as a cheaper alternative to the volumes). Well, the 20th Log was recently released and there's something interesting to point out about the SHT segment here: It was an idea submitted by fans from AP forums! They made a thread where members voted which story idea they would send Oda, and the top choice was "RPG Time", which made it to the Log! Greg from the OP Podcast confirms that the idea is the very one submitted by the overseas fans:

Quote:
Greg: Proof that RPG Time came from CCC's submission! 「Yes, yes, good afternoon. My editor threw three blank pages at me. Without so much as acknowledging a response he irrationally demanded of me. We've got a request! Hisabisa Tarou from Miyazaki. Pretty sure he's the Amercan whose artwork has been in the comics before. He sent me the results of a One Piece fangroup on the net. How very world-wide! I choose this! This sounds okay right? "What if the crew were characters like in Dragon Quest"RPGTime! Let's check it out.」

And a better look at the first 2 pages of the comic (once again, credit goes to Greg for this):

Spoiler:

Sanji as a slime is the most hilarious thing EVER. Anyway, a heartfelt congrats goes to CCC and the other folks at AP for being the lucky party to get their idea chosen! And I wonder if it's a coincidence that this came out just a week before that actual OP RPG's release....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 12:28   Link #322
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This is wonderful stuff. Congrats to the people over at AP.

I remember Oda answered a question from French fans in a SBS once. I love that he and his editor acknowledges foreign fans and treat them the same way as the Japanese.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:44   Link #323
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Very nice, The AP guys must be very chuffed. Oda is such an awesome guy, if I were a lady I'd very much want to have his babies *cough*
Old 2012-12-15, 13:19   Link #324
Blackbeard D. Kuma

We should represent the AnimeSuki forum and get a question and/or idea sent to Oda. That would be awesome .
Old 2012-12-15, 14:06   Link #325
ellifeedn
Thinker

It would have to be a question to end all questions, an "ultimate question" if you would. But what is the ultimate question?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 14:12   Link #326
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i dont mind to play that game

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 16:33   Link #327
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

If The Straw hats were to fight the Avengers who would win? That is the ultimate question.
Old 2012-12-16, 23:38   Link #328
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I figured this would be the best place to post this info since it doesn't really fit anywhere else. In the recent issue of the One Piece newspaper released last week, there was some interesting new stuff revealed. Most notably, Oda stated that One Piece is roughly 60% complete.That means we have another 10 years approximately before the story finishes. Now, knowing Oda's track record on anticipating time frames, this statement can be considered questionable to some. But with the way things are progressing, I can definitely see this 60% as a reasonable estimate. Credit goes to Redon from AP forums. Here's the link:

http://imgbox.com/abwMCpkx
Old 2012-12-17, 00:16   Link #329
ellifeedn
Thinker

One Piece has its own newspaper? Do they come with life sized bounties?
Old 2012-12-17, 14:14   Link #330
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I figured this would be the best place to post this info since it doesn't really fit anywhere else. In the recent issue of the One Piece newspaper released last week, there was some interesting new stuff revealed. Most notably, Oda stated that One Piece is roughly 60% complete.That means we have another 10 years approximately before the story finishes. Now, knowing Oda's track record on anticipating time frames, this statement can be considered questionable to some. But with the way things are progressing, I can definitely see this 60% as a reasonable estimate. Credit goes to Redon from AP forums. Here's the link:

http://imgbox.com/abwMCpkx
If One Piece is 60% complete, what can we expect of the remaining 40% which should include Charlotte Linlin (Big Mom), Kaidou, the newly recruited shichibukai, and the final battle?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-17, 17:00   Link #331
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If One Piece is 60% complete, what can we expect of the remaining 40% which should include Charlotte Linlin (Big Mom), Kaidou, the newly recruited shichibukai, and the final battle?
It does make sense if you think about it. From here on out, it's pretty much all the big players the strawhats have to contend with. That's why we're already jumping straight for Doflamingo; he's being set up as the next big bad to be taken down. And seeing as how this revelation coincides with the theatrical release of film Z, things add up perfectly. The movie basically confirms that the strawhats improved far more than what most of the fanbase originally anticipated (myself included). By defeating Z, Luffy is now high VA level at the very least.
Old 2012-12-17, 19:03   Link #332
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
One Piece has its own newspaper? Do they come with life sized bounties?

It was only a temporary thing (one issue every Thursday from November 22nd to December 13th of this year). There wasn't anything really big revealed in those issues, though (at least, aside from the 60% comment, and something else I'll bring up in a little bit). Mostly, it was stuff like Film Z ads, lists of things like all the devil fruits that were revealed throughout the series, Oda's thoughts on Film Z, pictures of his office, etc.

Though there are a few interesting things to point out: First off, one of the issues had a segment where Oda is asked about his work schedule. He mentions that he doesn't get vacations (the only exception so far was when he went to Hawaii for a few weeks by the time the timeskip was confirmed, which you can even read about in an earlier page of this thread ).

Second question is about how many hours of sleep he gets, which was something else we discussed before, I believe. Anyway, he says that he wakes up every day at 5AM and goes to sleep at 2AM. That's only three hours of sleep a day, people. So the next time anyone kicks up a fuss about Oda going on another break, remember just how much time and energy the guy sacrifices to pump out these chapters while juggling between all those other projects like the movies and whatnot......

There was also some interviews with Oda's editors, and Aohige actually gave a summary of them over at AP:

Quote:
Reading the two editors interview couple of interesting notes

- Both editors testify they get scolded by Oda sometimes.
- Apparently when an editor is assigned to Oda, one of the first thing they experience is Oda telling them all the major secrets of One Piece, up to and incluing the end. (!!!)

....... QUICK SOMEONE KIDNAP ONE OF THESE EDITORS OR PAST EDITORS!

The editor said as a reader of OP, it's somewhat saddening to learn all the spoilers ahead of time. I can see that.

When asked what sucks about being editors, they both testified Oda's obsessive perfectionist attitude getting in the way of deadline lol.
Apparently just the other day, Oda missed the deadline and it was hell getting the chapter in time. Oda's attitude is "The chapter is done when it's done".
As for editoral inputs, Oda mostly uses the editors as "first readers to read his work". He observe the reaction of the editors as a measure of how the readers would react. They testify they don't contibute much to Oda's work, since neither of them have anywhere near the talent Oda has, and it's sometimes painful that they can only stand by and wait, unable to help, when deadline is pressing.

Hattori says the most memorable scene of OP (for the chapters he was editing) was Sabo's comment about ashamed of his birth as a noble, and Dragon's shocked reaction to have such a young child come to that conclusion. It really drove home how talented a story writer he is.

Wow.... so the editors are already spoiled on all the juicy stuff early on. That's interesting to know. But personally, I'd rather not interrogate those guys for future info. Yep, I'm satisfied with my weekly dose of early magazine leaks and brief spoiler summaries, thank you very much!

Actually, if anyone's interested in the editors Oda had over the years, here's a pic of them:

As well as their info (credit for all this goes to sandman at AP):

Quote:
Takanori Asada (1997-April 2001)
Takahiro Habuta (April 2001-February 2005)
Watanabe (February 2005-October 2006)
Naoki Kawashima (October 2006-November 2007)
Kouhei Onishi (November 2007-June 2008)
Akira Jean-Baptiste Hattori (June 2008-December 2010)
Takeru Isaka (December 2010-)

At present, Isaka takes charge of ONE PIECE manga and Hattori takes charge of ONE PIECE animation, game, goods etc.

But going back to that 60% thing: Yeah, I suppose 60% is just about right at this point, myself. I mean, we've already got Luffy challenging world powers left and right by now, so why not?
Old 2012-12-18, 16:22   Link #333
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Oh man...being Oda's Editor and an OP fan really must suck big time. I once fantasized on how awesome being Oda's editor could be, helping out in the creation of the manga, picking Oda's brain, reading the chapters before anyone else and so on...but in reality all you get is heavy spoilers right off the bat, read chapters already knowing what will happen AND feel useless for not being able to contribute anything to the manga.

As much as it would pain me...I'd probably refuse the job if I were offered it. I still want to know all the deep secrets of OP, I constantly think about answers to some of the bigger questions but I know that if I were told it all in one session I'd just feel sad and angry afterward...not to mention I'd never enjoy OP as much from then on.

I would, however, "kidnap" an editor to make a question or two if I could.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 18:37   Link #334
marvelB

Okay, so in the current chapter thread I had mentioned that Oda held a sort of SBS corner for the American OP fans a few years back. Thus, I went digging around, and found the source info at this thread at AP. And so, with credit to AP member Ubiq, here's the SBS portion in question:

Spoiler:

Huh, looks like Oda DID specifically mention blood relations in his response (it's been a while since I last read those questions myself, so I wasn't entirely certain). It's still odd that he would forget about Usopp, though..... I mean, his mother's death was kind of the whole reason why he became a liar in the first place.....
Old 2012-12-18, 18:49   Link #335
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Is it me or did the woman Oda described for Luffy's mother sound more like Dadan? I wonder if he made Dadan with this in mind and if he has plans to show us Luffy's mother later on she'll be a bit different from the original plan.
I'm happy that she's most likely alive though...higher chance of her showing up at some point.

Also...epic lol at the "Don't cut your arm off though." bit xD
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 22:29   Link #336
ellifeedn
Thinker

If this is accurate, apparently Chopper is Canadian and Luffy is Brazilian. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 2013-02-07, 23:52   Link #337
marvelB

^Yeah, I remember posting that info a couple years back (I don't think it was here, though.... rather, it was in one of the chapter threads). It always amused me that for Usopp's "nationality", Oda just gave him a vague "Africa". Personally, if I were to specify a country for him, I'd say he could fit as a North African (think Egypt, Tunisia, or Libya..... you know, those countries that got a lot more attention in recent years thanks to the Arab Spring).

Anyway, since this thread was bumped, that reminds me: The next volume should be released pretty soon (by next month, I believe). As always, I'll post the new SBS info as soon as it's available!
Old 2013-02-08, 17:27   Link #338
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Okay, so in the current chapter thread I had mentioned that Oda held a sort of SBS corner for the American OP fans a few years back. Thus, I went digging around, and found the source info at this thread at AP. And so, with credit to AP member Ubiq, here's the SBS portion in question:

Spoiler:

Huh, looks like Oda DID specifically mention blood relations in his response (it's been a while since I last read those questions myself, so I wasn't entirely certain). It's still odd that he would forget about Usopp, though..... I mean, his mother's death was kind of the whole reason why he became a liar in the first place.....
Spoiler:
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 14:21   Link #339
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
If The Straw hats were to fight the Avengers who would win? That is the ultimate question.
that is actually an awesome question...Thor included the Avengers for sure...hmm i wonder howd they do against the Hulk now with Haki though? on a ship theyd b done for. on land idk. i could see some match ups though, black widow would lose to any of them i think without a gun or such anyways, usop vs hawkeye, ironman vs franky? lol antman vs chopper? wasp(or whatever her name is) vs nami? the big three vs Hulk...Cap givin random assistance to whoever and analyzing the strawhat crew to figure them out, Nico doin the same for her crew(she could easily dispose of black widow and hawkeye, pre transformed hulk, maybe even spidey? and cap, are spidey and wolvie in this too..idk? wolverine vs franky? or sanji? or Zoro? cant see anyone else taking him on maybe chopper? possibly brook? as for the web head maybe his spidey sense can come in handy against Robin lol its like he already has CoA or whatever the sensing one is called....this is actually an awesome idea and iv though the same for DC too. Id love to see batman in op, or even have a batman for the op universe like he was born there had his parents killed there etc. if he had a fruit itd be Moria's or maybe Blackbeards?? Imagine Hulk with BB's or Thor's with enels or Mr.5's(Same with Hulk)...Oh man you just opened up a realm of possibilities and discussion....I think i smell a NEW THREAD :P, i just hope their are comic book superhero fans here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
We should represent the AnimeSuki forum and get a question and/or idea sent to Oda. That would be awesome .
"Superhero Time"(like the strawhats having their own unique costumes, or wearing known superheroes costumes like Zoro wearing batmans :P)...do it(and ask Oda what his version of batmans pirate flag would be like, like the bat symbol super imposed over his a scary warped picture of his mask or caul to instill fear into the hearts of other pirates and marines everywhere)

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-02-12 at 17:37. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double posting.
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 15:49   Link #340
marvelB

Meant to post this earlier, but I was a bit busy at the time. Anyway, SBS IS HERE! Credit goes to Redon and CCC from AP for the pics and translation, respectively:

-Corner starts with someone claiming Oda ate the Ero Ero (pervert) no Mi. It seems he doesn't deny this. Someone also asks if he, like Kinemon, is fond of breast bands (aka bras).

-Someone asks if Usopp's nose is made out of Chikuwa (type of fish paste that's rolled up into a tube) Oda confirms this.

-Someone makes a comparison between the dragon-slaying scenes from Monsters (early Oda one-shot) and Zoro early in the Punk Hazard arc. Oda comments on how it's been nearly 20 years since he drew Monsters (he was 19 at the time, but he's 38 now).

-This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but it's confirmed that the thunder island that Nami read about at Weatheria was the same one Urouge visited before the skip.

-A list of the crew's join order, birthdays, heights, etc.:

Spoiler:

-Apparently Oda refers to Brooke's goofy running style as "Dabba Dabba Dashing". But what's also interesting is that we find out who Kinemon is modeled after: An actor named Nakamura Kinnosuke. In fact, the characters from his name have been used for the father-son samurai duo (the "Kin" for Kinemon and the "nosuke" in Momonosuke).

-The character that takes the most time for Oda to draw is Franky in his shogun mode, but for regular humans it's women with black hair due to the technique used to draw the hair.

-Think I'll just quote CCC on this one:

Quote:
pg 106
-Explicit content warning about SBS, from a reader
-Q: Why didn't Caesar ask for Law's dick instead of his heart? A: Well first let's call it a "member" because that's more polite. Which would have more impact? Law holding a heart, or Law holding his member? And what if he had to give the Marines 100 members instead of 100 hearts? Well, then he'd be a member of the Shichinbukai [chinko = dick].
-Q: Can Vergo coat his dick with busoushoku? A: That is a possibility. And as a man, that would be GREAT.
-Smoker should have put Tashigi's bra on his head, just like Oda sensei.

-More characters as kids! This time we've got the Impel Down staff as kids. And as a bonus, we get a peek at how Lola would look after eating the Sube Sube no Mi (Alvida's power, in case anyone forgot):

Spoiler:

^Hmm, looks like Magellan had his ability since childhood, I see....

-Vergo's daily breakfast routine is having a hamburger, fries and strawberry shake.

-We get Nami and Robin's measurements, Nami gets pissed at Sanji and Oda for revealing the goods, hilarity ensues, etc. etc. etc. END OF SBS!

Sadly, nowhere near as informative as I hoped..... oh well. At least learning Kinemon's inspiration and seeing the ID staff as kids was cool enough. Plus, I had gotten a good chuckle out of this volume's dick jokes this time around! And now, to cross my fingers and hope that the vol. 70 SBS will be better, info wise.....