AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-19, 18:00   Link #41
Sassarai
Army of One

Curious to see the scores on a Japanese metacritic or something similar to see how bad FF13 was to them.

Honestly I don't think SE can ever meet expectations set by most of their fan base. They are all grown up now and those old classics are childhood memories. Even then each sequel seems to appeal to a different group of their fan base I.E FF12 being the most noticeable.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 19:08   Link #42
GDB

Biggest problem is that they got rid of the guy who made the first 10 Final Fantasy games. And, almost as if there were a connection, each game since then has been railed by critics and fans alike. While The Last Story, which was made by said creator after being let go of by SQE, is touted as being amazing. Such strange coincidences.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 19:45   Link #43
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Biggest problem is that they got rid of the guy who made the first 10 Final Fantasy games. And, almost as if there were a connection, each game since then has been railed by critics and fans alike. While The Last Story, which was made by said creator after being let go of by SQE, is touted as being amazing. Such strange coincidences.
That "guy" didn't really make the first 10 FF's though. In fact FFV was the last game he was heavily involved. Really most people don't know/couldn't careless who made games anyway. BTW, TLS was also received with mixed results among Japanese gamers and pretty much bombed hard on the charts. Last time I checked it was currently ranked at "D" on Wii U m2k review site.

FFXIII's problems had nothing to do with that.

Anyway we're talking way too much FFXIII/XIII-2 and not enough about FFX.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-02-19 at 20:38.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 22:10   Link #44
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
That "guy" didn't really make the first 10 FF's though. In fact FFV was the last game he was heavily involved.
In the first place, he was never a particularly hands-on director. Square's games were designed by committee (or by "democracy", as Ogre Battle creator Yasumi Matsuno put it), so there was rarely any central vision. Even on FF1, Sakaguchi had little to do with the game mechanics or world design.

The drawback with the system is that there are few visionaries amongst Square's staff, plus there has always been a lot of infighting and power jockeying. The same goes for most groups that were established by ex-Square developers (including Monolith Soft before they were acquired by Nintendo).
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 22:22   Link #45
Sassarai
Army of One

Was that "guy" fully responsible for Final Fantasy Spirits Within o_O?
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:22   Link #46
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i am excited for this. i hope squeenix doesn't ruin squaresoft's last masterpiece. brings me back to 7th grade. bought the thing on release day.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 17:17   Link #47
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Imho I wish they made FFX-FFX-2 HD a 2 in one game not just one HD game for the Vita.
Old 2013-02-20, 20:54   Link #48
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Every major Final Fantasy after X was succesful among critics. Especially FFXII, which was phenomenal.
Well, except for XIV.

Last edited by ZGoten; 2013-02-20 at 22:01.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 21:31   Link #49
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Especially FFXII, which was phenomenal.
And yet it has been more panned by the fandom than any other game in the series. Yes, even XIII, which has plenty of diehard supporters if you know where to look. Practically no one likes XII.
I feel so alone ;____;
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 02:55   Link #50
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And yet it has been more panned by the fandom than any other game in the series. Yes, even XIII, which has plenty of diehard supporters if you know where to look. Practically no one likes XII.
I feel so alone ;____;
Think of it like this
if 10 buy one game
8 like it and 2 didn't >>> normally only 1 of 8 will say that he like it in inter net but all 2 will start to bash it in internet...

so if it sell 1000k than 800k like it and 200k didn't >>>
only 100k will see that it's good but 200k will do all of their power to say that it's bad...
so it will have more people who hate it in internet than who like it...
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 18:45   Link #51
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i though 13 had the lowest average score of any real FF game.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2013-02-21, 18:52   Link #52
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Every major Final Fantasy after X was succesful among critics. Especially FFXII, which was phenomenal.
Well, except for XIV.
FF12 had the advantage that the start of the game looks so good, making reviewers happy. But the experience lessens once you play more.

The issue with 12 is that it was clearly unfinished. It was rough on the edges and the game has bits that don't work gameplay wise. It's what happens to a game that was stuck in development hell and had its leader replaced midway.

To be relevant to the thread, I consider FFX as the last Final Fantasy that was truly full-featured. That had everything they wanted in the game. After that, SE just seem to not able to deliver the full experience since.
Old 2013-02-21, 21:34   Link #53
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i though 13 had the lowest average score of any real FF game.
In terms of user aggregates, FFXII was hit the hardest in Japan.

Among overseas players, FFXII and XIII are similarly ranked. Both score quite well with Metacritic users, with XIII doing a tad better. With GameFAQs users, it's the other way around. Nevertheless, neither game scores poorly by any stretch of the imagination.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:17   Link #54
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
FF12 had the advantage that the start of the game looks so good
...What?
Speaking as someone who has played more than a few hours of XII, the way the game is up until around Raithwall Tomb is generally unimpressive and completely non-indicative of the rest of the game. Everything after that is pretty much amazing.
XII has one of the most awful starts to any JRPGs I've ever played... I don't see why anyone would praise it.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:25   Link #55
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
In terms of user aggregates, FFXII was hit the hardest in Japan.

Among overseas players, FFXII and XIII are similarly ranked. Both score quite well with Metacritic users, with XIII doing a tad better. With GameFAQs users, it's the other way around. Nevertheless, neither game scores poorly by any stretch of the imagination.
but in terms of critics, FFXIII is the worst of real FF games. discounting spinoffs and X-2 (which, in its defense, had an amazing combat system, everything else, not so much..)

Old 2013-02-21, 23:08   Link #56
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Imho I wish they made FFX-FFX-2 HD a 2 in one game not just one HD game for the Vita.
what are you talking about? X-2 sucks

plus if they did that, there would be more delays than it already has. so no, just... no

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 23:40   Link #57
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Sucks but it probably has the best battle system in my opinion. It's practically ATB done right.

Speaking about X-2... why do I get this feeling that they'll retcon the ending somewhat that highly foreshadowing (even more than before) the events in X-2?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 23:51   Link #58
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I do agree that the battle system was great. But everything else isn't as good as its predecessor :/

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 01:37   Link #59
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Actually, I never particularly enjoyed FF X (Tidus is a close second to Vaan, for me, in the race to win worst FF protagonist ever; and while I suppose we'll never have a FF with the quality of voice acting of 12 again, 10's voice acting was not very good, but was largely ignored due to the simple novelty of having any at all). In fact, it heralded much of what's so bad about the franchise today, with corridors, etc. 12, with the exception of the bone-headed decision to make Vaan the main character, rather than Basch, was a step back in the right direction.

My understanding is that the team that made X made 13, as there are essentially two teams, doing every other game (not counting the MMOs), and there certainly are many similarities between the two.

In fact, the only reason I have any hope for FF 15, is the off-hand chance that it's the team from 12 that's been working on it for the last five years or however long it's been, and the more certain fact that it ISN'T the team that made 13.

That said, while I'm not a big fan of 10, I didn't hate it, and will almost certainly play it again if it ever comes out from being vaporware and sees the light of day.

What I really wish, however, is that they'd simply release their PS 2 games on the PSN. I really can't believe for one second that it's that hard to do. SE can seem awfully schizophrenic sometimes, when it comes to business decisions. They've shown they're fully capable of milking games, with FF IV being the prime example, but in other cases where you'd think they could make plenty of money with minimal effort (like releasing their PS 2 games to the PSN, or how long it took to slowly drip out their PS 1 games), they just make me scratch my head in puzzlement. Kind of like how FF XIII, the worst game in the franchise since the pre-epic story days (ie: since IV), is the FF game they decide to make two direct sequels to. Though, I suppose the cynic might chalk it up to the high development costs and an attempt to recoup them by re-using that tech/assets for quick cash grabs.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 10:49   Link #60
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
FF12 had the advantage that the start of the game looks so good, making reviewers happy. But the experience lessens once you play more.

The issue with 12 is that it was clearly unfinished. It was rough on the edges and the game has bits that don't work gameplay wise. It's what happens to a game that was stuck in development hell and had its leader replaced midway.

To be relevant to the thread, I consider FFX as the last Final Fantasy that was truly full-featured. That had everything they wanted in the game. After that, SE just seem to not able to deliver the full experience since.
Actually, I think that FF12 had one of the most refined gameplay mechanics of the entire series. Also, I have to agree that the start of the game isn't particularly amazing in comparison to the rest of the game. I did definitely not experience a drop in quality.

@creb:

FFX's voice acting was not particularly good, like you mentioned, but not particularly bad either. Nontheless, XII was superior in that regard. However, the sound quality of the spoken dialogue was just not up to par. It really felt like the characters were walking radios or as if they were speaking to another character from beyond a closed door or something.