AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2015-03-13, 16:18   Link #1081
The Green One

Remember when being strong enough to destroy the planet was impressive? Now someone sneezes and the Milky Way implodes. That's the kind of power ridiculousness we see.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-13, 17:14   Link #1082
GDB

Well, Saiyan Saga Vegeta was strong enough to destroy a planet. In fact, he almost did destroy Earth. That was at 18k power level. That was insignificant by the end of the Ginyu Saga, let alone Frieza Saga, Cell Saga, Buu Saga, or "God Saga".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 01:44   Link #1083
Vegard Aune

Saiyan Saga Vegeta? Hah! Tournament Saga Muten Roshi was strong enough to blow up the moon. I don't really think there's that much of a difference in the wow-factor of "He just blew up the moon in one shot!" and "He just blew up a planet in one shot!"
Old 2015-03-14, 02:26   Link #1084
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Well it kinda makes sense now that Goku doesn't want to fight Vegeta yet in the ending of DBZ he exclaims he needs more training and gone with Uub to train. Also in the ending of the DBZ saga kid Trunks looks more like F.Trunks in body, unlike in GT which he gone thinner like Gohan and Goten.

Yes GT happened and Toriyama let it happen....
Old 2015-03-14, 11:45   Link #1085
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Well it kinda makes sense now that Goku doesn't want to fight Vegeta yet in the ending of DBZ he exclaims he needs more training and gone with Uub to train. Also in the ending of the DBZ saga kid Trunks looks more like F.Trunks in body, unlike in GT which he gone thinner like Gohan and Goten.

It happened, but it is clearly not in this same timeline, canon, reality, interpretation, or whatever you want to call it. We've been told this several times. I mean, you're just comparing character designs, so I'm not sure why you included that last line, which felt like you're saying GT must be canon because Toriyama let it. But it's really strange to me to cling to the notion that it's canon when we've been told it isn't anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Saiyan Saga Vegeta? Hah! Tournament Saga Muten Roshi was strong enough to blow up the moon. I don't really think there's that much of a difference in the wow-factor of "He just blew up the moon in one shot!" and "He just blew up a planet in one shot!"
Yup, and Tien and Goku surpassed him in the next tournament. I bet King Piccolo was at least planet-destroying level if Roshi was moon-destroying level. I think end DBZ level strength, even for the weaker characters like Piccolo, or maybe even Tien, is probably solar system-destroying, if they charged the ki blast long enough. Given the numerical difference in power levels, end DBZ ki blasts should be galaxy destroying, but there's a reason Toriyama abandoned power levels, they made no sense.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 13:41   Link #1086
The Green One

Well as Vegeta once said in a certain parody series of DragonBall Z......

"Power levels are bulls*!!!"
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 14:22   Link #1087
GDB

Quote:
So did all the previous movies, which clearly are impossible to be canon outside of MAYBE Bojack and Tapion. Just because they "exist" doesn't mean they're canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think end DBZ level strength, even for the weaker characters like Piccolo, or maybe even Tien, is probably solar system-destroying, if they charged the ki blast long enough.
It was said that Super Perfect Cell was solar system destroying levels of power.

Also remember that just because you have a certain power level doesn't mean you can expel all of that power at once in an attack. If you do, you wind up like Majin Vegeta or Chiaotzu.
Old 2015-03-14, 18:05   Link #1088
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
It happened, but it is clearly not in this same timeline, canon, reality, interpretation, or whatever you want to call it. We've been told this several times. I mean, you're just comparing character designs, so I'm not sure why you included that last line, which felt like you're saying GT must be canon because Toriyama let it. But it's really strange to me to cling to the notion that it's canon when we've been told it isn't anymore.
Toriyama himself seemed to completely disregard GT in all his BoG interviews..

Manga authors rarely have have this kind of control over filler arcs/shows...so of course existing doesn't mean it happened.
I think GT could be considered "anime-canon" at best, at least until Toriyama started being directly involved with these official sequels.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 19:21   Link #1089
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy;5468137[B
]It happened, but it is clearly not in this same timeline, canon, reality, interpretation, or whatever you want to call it[/B]. We've been told this several times. I mean, you're just comparing character designs, so I'm not sure why you included that last line, which felt like you're saying GT must be canon because Toriyama let it. But it's really strange to me to cling to the notion that it's canon when we've been told it isn't anymore.
That I totally agree. Even Vegeta said a saiyan's hair cannot change and look at GT he had a flatop and a spikey one.

What I meant is that Toriyama let other people do his story for him, which made GT not really consistent. The new movie BOG like said disregards GT in all it's entirety and given that there are other universes mentioned in BOG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So did all the previous movies, which clearly are impossible to be canon outside of MAYBE Bojack and Tapion. Just because they "exist" doesn't mean they're canon.
Well the Xmen days of Future Past movie erased all the Xmen1 and 2 movies along with the others origin ans the wolverine movie as being canon to make a better Xmen franchise for the future.

DBZ BOG pretty much did the same so we follow now from that point.
Old 2015-03-14, 19:55   Link #1090
GDB

Except Days of Future Past involved Time Travel to rewrite history. This is just ignoring bad, non-canon material.
Old 2015-03-15, 00:31   Link #1091
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I don't know man, with Gohan being able to turn super again, kind of odd how he's acting like this his doing and GT wasn't canon when that happened in GT too. You'd think he'd just connect the too if he's going to keep that part that I disliked, meh.

I don't get why he's treating Gohan like this these days? I thought he was his favorite seeing as how he'd keep trying to replace Gooku with him :/

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-15, 01:27   Link #1092
Sixth
Hu Tao

I actually like the Golden Frieza. Never a big fan of bulky form such as Cooler and Broly.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-15, 17:21   Link #1093
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
I don't get why he's treating Gohan like this these days? I thought he was his favorite seeing as how he'd keep trying to replace Gooku with him :/
Piccolo's actually his favorite. He tried to replace Goku with Gohan because it was the logical story continuation. This is also why he brought in Uub at the end of Z.

Also, this just got announced as being licensed by Funimation.
Old 2015-03-15, 18:32   Link #1094
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Days of Future past has time travel. DBZ BOG mentions universes which has a different approach in separating the universes in DB universe, instead of the western reboot every now and then, we get a multiverse...damn DBZ becoming a DC comic.
Old 2015-03-15, 19:21   Link #1095
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Days of Future past has time travel. DBZ BOG mentions universes which has a different approach in separating the universes in DB universe, instead of the western reboot every now and then, we get a multiverse...damn DBZ becoming a DC comic.
It was never explained what the multiple universes means for the Dragonball canon. There's no evidence they are taking the Western comic book approach in which each interpretation is a new universe. We have no reason to think GT is one of those universes at this time.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-15, 19:42   Link #1096
Saravis4

I'd compare the canon thing to what Disney has done with the Star Wars EU. None of it is officially canon, but some of it may become officially canon in the future. So until official confirmation, GT isn't canon.
Old 2015-03-15, 21:59   Link #1097
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saravis4 View Post
I'd compare the canon thing to what Disney has done with the Star Wars EU. None of it is officially canon, but some of it may become officially canon in the future. So until official confirmation, GT isn't canon.
Seeing as how every modern (post 2000) dragon ball animation production has gone out of its way to exclude/contradict GT material, I wouldn't bank on GT being bundled into the main story. The new movies, on the other hand, are supposed to be complementary to the manga (or at least what Toriyama remembers of the manga).
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-15, 22:04   Link #1098
GDB

Even Xenoverse considers GT to be less canon than Broly, and we know he isn't canon.
Old 2015-03-16, 00:36   Link #1099
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
It was never explained what the multiple universes means for the Dragonball canon. There's no evidence they are taking the Western comic book approach in which each interpretation is a new universe. We have no reason to think GT is one of those universes at this time.
Well if you base it on the game Dragonball heroes, it's pretty much a multiverse. Which mentions different DB characters on their respective series, also breaking the 4th wall SSJ3 Vegeta is only in the games lol
Old 2015-03-16, 06:13   Link #1100
Gundamx

Quote:
Well if you base it on the game Dragonball heroes, it's pretty much a multiverse. Which mentions different DB characters on their respective series, also breaking the 4th wall SSJ3 Vegeta is only in the games lol
It even have adult Gotenks
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote