AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-03, 07:52   Link #1
Esyrja

Shows with underrated romance

Heh that title really doesnt explain a lot...well I wrote a detailed explanation, if you can bother to read it Anyways, I was thinking of this since I just finished watching Youre Under Arrest.

I was drawn to this anime because of the mangaka (same as Oh my goddess) and from what I had read about it/heard about it beforehand, it was a comedic cop show.

While thats certainly true, I feel that this show as so much more than that, I was especially surprised by the episodes late first and second season that focused on the developing relationships for the two main characters, they were in my opinion very well done.

And this got me to thinking about how this is not the first time that a show I started watching for a completely different reason ends up having some very nice romance in it.

Some examples:
Eureka 7 and RahXephon, for both I started them because of the mecha aspect, and both surprised me with their detailed and mature showing of relationships, whereas;

Da Capo 2 completely disappointed me even thou its a "romance, drama, school life" typical title, I found it to be much worse than the first season, and to not really contain any meaningful romance as such.

So what I ask you is, what are animes that have romance stories in them that are "underrated" as in; rarely show up in the many threads this suggestion subforum has, asking for this particular genre of anime.
Old 2009-01-03, 08:54   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Toshokan Sensou ("Library Wars") starts off as a meditation on censorship but morphs into a romance.
Old 2009-01-03, 17:45   Link #3
CrimsonWater
Animeholic/Techie

I'll second Toshokan Sensou also maybe try Allison to Lillia
Old 2009-01-04, 10:41   Link #4
f4nt4

umm... every macross series, from intergalactic war into complicated romance
Old 2009-01-04, 11:30   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I can't second every Macross series but I'll second the movie, The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? Another one is REC. It's suggested now and then but to me more people should know about it.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: No matter how hinted, vague, or implied the romance is in this series, it feels really natural and never out of place. It doesn't seem forced or otherwise uncomfortable.

Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter: People may not love this, but I do. To me, the emotions in this OVA was so real I had problems re-watching it.
Old 2009-01-04, 13:37   Link #6
Esyrja

Thanks for the replies guys, Ive watched both Library wars and Allison to Lillia and really enjoyed both. But the reason I made this thread was to try to find romance in unexpected places, I know that if I watch Macross series, or Clannad, there will be some there, and both are rather often talked about here.

What I mean is shows that arent recommended normally for their romance but after watching it you go "Huh that was really well done"

Obviously there may not be all that many, but since I just came across three in a row I figured we could all share the shows where we felt that, and which arent talked about often.

Another one that I found surprising was Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, I certainly didnt expect the show I got, and I felt that the interactions between the family members were rather well done.

Anyways Ill add more when I remember them, I really need to start keeping a list to make it easier to remember...

So what shows were you surprised by as far as the romance that was in it?
Old 2009-01-05, 04:32   Link #7
othera

Air - To me it seems like a great love story, especially the eps about kanna.(Though my fave animes constantly change, this is one of my all time favorites)
Shakugan no Shana - Basically shana is a flame haze, who hunt Tomogora and she meets Yuji, who she seems to love - and denies for quite some time
The second season of shakugan no shana is more about their relationship, but i would HIGHLY recomend watching both seasons - This is another of my all time favorites.
And ill second Khold on the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya, minor amounts but it is there.
Old 2009-01-05, 06:10   Link #8
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I think the problem with the "pure" romance shows is more often than not, they get boggled down with drama and triangles, squares, or what not. So instead of really being romantic, they fall flat because that's what causes the tension. Yeah, some romances are like that, but they tend to be exhausting. If there's another theme, then it tends to move forward more naturally and realistically.

I could write a mountain of words about Utawarerumono. It is a feudal piece, with interesting characters and an epic storyline. That's been done before, but what really made it stand out to me was the older male lead and his maturity. On first look, he's nothing interesting but he develops dyamnically and ponders his actions, learns from them, and moves forward. The female lead is also a stereotype, but like the male lead, she develops and becomes something more. They face many hardships and joys--and while these events are interesting sub stories, what really made it interesting was how things progressed between them.

Spoiler for Spoilers on the relationship and events that really shape it:
Old 2009-01-05, 10:55   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esyrja View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, Ive watched both Library wars and Allison to Lillia and really enjoyed both. But the reason I made this thread was to try to find romance in unexpected places, I know that if I watch Macross series, or Clannad, there will be some there, and both are rather often talked about here.

What I mean is shows that arent recommended normally for their romance but after watching it you go "Huh that was really well done"
Really now? I first watched Macross thinking it was a pure mecha series. I see Clannad as a comedy so the "romance" in the OVA was very unexpectedly well done, hence why I listed them.
Old 2009-01-05, 13:17   Link #10
Esyrja

Heh Khold maybe I just got a different impression about them before watching them thats all. Telmah I think that you may have said it better than I could have, there are some "pure" romance shows that are very well done, but at least for me the majority of it is...well...not about relationships but about the perceived difficulties before you get into one.

Its rather rare to find a "romance" show that actually shows a developing relationship, whereas with other kinds of shows...but I repeat myself.

Another series that I just rewatched was Crest/Banner of the Stars, I remember reading about this show before watching it, about how Scifi it was, how it was the anime Star Trek, etc etc, and I didnt really get the impression about the two leads developing to the extent they did.

Heh maybe even...Elfen Lied, I remember watching this show expecting it to be about NOTHING else than blood and gore, althou the "romance" part of it was a bit stereotypical, the concept still stands.

Another one that just came to mind is Seto No Hayanome, althou almost always talked about for its romance, I found it rather nice, especially the final episode of the anime obviously had its share of touching moments.

I guess I should rename the thread to imply anime that rarely are called "romance" animes but have a strong element of it in them, but I cant really think of any concise title that would say that.
Old 2009-01-05, 13:24   Link #11
f4nt4

yeah, first time i watched macross i also thought it wasnt about romance, but about mecha and action all the way. i was really surprised when the romance theme suddenly keeping up and becoming an important aspect of the story.
Old 2009-01-06, 21:31   Link #12
Hakuoro917
Obsessed Anime Syndrome
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Hakuoro917
Hourglass of Summer OVA: It's only two episodes but The Emotion is really unique. A boy tries to save the one he loves by being able to travel back through time.
Old 2009-01-07, 18:15   Link #13
Arkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuoro917 View Post
Hourglass of Summer OVA: It's only two episodes but The Emotion is really unique. A boy tries to save the one he loves by being able to travel back through time.
Lol, I read the description of that OVA in AniDB and it seems to be like a mixture between KGNE and KOR 2nd movie "Summer's beginning".

By the way, I'm finding the recommendations in this thread quite interesting. I usually feel kind of stuck in the middle between the indecisive male leads and harems in shonen romances, and the bishonen artwork in shojo romances.

I wish I could contribute with more series, but I don't remember anyone right now. If I remember someone I'll come back and post it.
Closed Thread