Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-08-28, 20:56   Link #81
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
I think people misunderstand why some characters are portrayed as 'whiny'.

Picture it.

Your life's not going too well, but you are used to it and are comfortable.
One day your town becomes a battlezone, you see neighbours being harmed and killed in the fighting and you do your best to help the situation, scary huh? Your life is in danger and the place where you live is being destroyed.

Then you're helped by the your countries army who help you and the people around you, you're asked to help them and after a while you're forced to kill and risk being killed on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure all you lot would be quite happy with that, but some people would not.
Well said and I couldn't agree more. A lot of characters in various Gundam series get knocked for being "whiny" but when you analyze their predicaments, you realize, they're pretty justified in being whiny.
Old 2010-08-28, 21:11   Link #82
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
I think people misunderstand why some characters are portrayed as 'whiny'.

Picture it.

Your life's not going too well, but you are used to it and are comfortable.
One day your town becomes a battlezone, you see neighbours being harmed and killed in the fighting and you do your best to help the situation, scary huh? Your life is in danger and the place where you live is being destroyed.

Then you're helped by the your countries army who help you and the people around you, you're asked to help them and after a while you're forced to kill and risk being killed on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure all you lot would be quite happy with that, but some people would not.
I don't think anyone's misunderstanding anything. The guys are in tough situation and its quite natural that they would be doing things like crying and complaining and what not.

However, just because its understandable to viewers that they complain, doesn't mean that the audience are supposed to tolerate it, or think that its the only way the characters should react.

Even villains sometimes do things that people may empathize with, but that doesn't mean the audience will still accept it as the right thing to do.
Old 2010-10-09, 12:53   Link #83
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Good news guys 0079 is getting re-released and this time with an Japanese audio track. The series will be released in two parts in 2011. I'm so happy about this since I was too into Zeta at the time to watch 0079 when Bandai was streaming it on ANN, youtube, and Crunchyroll back in Winter/Spring.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...h-english-subs
Quote:
(One episode out of the original 43-episode length was never dubbed in English, at the request of creator and director Yoshiyuki Tomino.)
Why is this can someone explain why this one particular episode will not be released??

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 13:22   Link #84
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
Why is this can someone explain why this one particular episode will not be released??
It was not dubbed originally because of Tomino's request... Just a filler episode with some bizarre story about a bunch of orphans and a Zeon soldier who uses his Zaku to throw boulders around at enemies, along with some real quality animation.
Old 2010-10-09, 13:25   Link #85
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
It was not dubbed originally because of Tomino's request... Just a filler episode with some bizarre story about a bunch of orphans and a Zeon soldier who uses his Zaku to throw boulders around at enemies, along with some real quality animation.
oh I see so it really has no real relevance to the story then. Ok as long as they are not leaving out any major plot twists and whatnot I don't care.

Old 2010-10-09, 13:25   Link #86
JC...
I am a Pie

That seems interesting, maybe I will get it...

I wish they'd re-animate it though.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 14:56   Link #87
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Yet another project that we subbed gets licensed... congrats Bandai for taking nearly a decade!
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 15:24   Link #88
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Yet another project that we subbed gets licensed... congrats Bandai for taking nearly a decade!
That sucks. Well. You do good work.

Can't wait for C.D.A.

All I can do is encourage you though. I would donate, but I'm not sure if my parents would let me... unless I get super strength and throw cash across half the world.
Old 2010-10-09, 18:08   Link #89
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Well you will still have the best version of Cucuruz Doan.

Last edited by brightman; 2010-10-09 at 18:18.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 18:37   Link #90
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

I'm looking forward to the re-release.
Old 2010-10-09, 22:22   Link #91
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Oh Yay Crunchyroll is going to bring back the 0079 series for streaming now along with 00 and Zeta I can get the another chance to watch 0079 and this time I will ^_^

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nbane-macademi

Old 2010-10-10, 02:45   Link #92
JC...
I am a Pie

Yay, I can watch Zeta again!
Old 2010-10-18, 05:16   Link #93
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
I find it funny that I went out of my way to make our 0079 subtitles on par with what Bandai would've had if they ever released it subbed, and a little bit more than a year after we finish, they announce 0079 for R1 with subs. I'm all but convinced they saw the download totals and were like, "Hey, maybe this will sell." Interested in seeing how my translation stacks up to theirs too since I imagine they'll be translating from the same JP scripts that I did.

Same as with the other two fansub releases I translated, I'll support the official release, but I really hope this uses the remastered video from the R2 release. And that episode 15 is included as a sub-only extra. Really don't see them attempting to get a dub done for episode 15 seeing how they didn't bring back the cast for the Zeta dub in 2004, but it'd be lame to just cut that episode out of this release just because of no dub.
Old 2010-10-19, 03:47   Link #94
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ Maybe they'll just rip it off of yours :P
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 23:27   Link #95
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
^ Maybe they'll just rip it off of yours :P
Wouldn't be the first time. I can't remember which one but one of the episodes of the Gundam Seed dub was almost word for word exactly like my fansub script.
Old 2010-12-31, 20:16   Link #96
Tanooki

Quick question, I am trying to track down some info on this Mobile Suit Gundam Book. I believe it is one of the books they had for the translators when they first thought to bring the series into English, but really am not sure:
Tanooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 09:48   Link #97
JC...
I am a Pie

Do you mean the exact same book? Or different editons? I have the first MSG book, you can buy them on Amazon, or all in one. Not sure about the space battleship book though.
Old 2011-01-03, 10:55   Link #98
Tanooki

Well info on that run of books not this one specifically.
Old 2011-01-03, 14:07   Link #99
fizzmaister
The Tall One

About the MSG novels, they were first translated in 1990 as a trilogy and then rereleased as a single volume with updated spelling in 2004. The single volume release been impossible to find at regular price for a long time, but the prices for the individual volumes still aren't bad.
Old 2011-01-03, 15:25   Link #100
Tanooki

Mine is all Japanese are you referring to an English translation?