AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-13, 01:14   Link #241
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by routan View Post
i hate it when the pro and antagonist run at each other slice and stand there for about a minute then on of them fall down and die.
You mean the classic "samurai's last stand"? I actually curious myself of who started this trend, the old Japanese live-action samurai movies or some old animes following the wake of Tetsuwan Atom.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:28   Link #242
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is similar to the old western quickdraw cuts. Big tension as the two gunslingers square off, then you see them draw with maybe a cut to the guns firing, or even cutting away to a long shot or background scenes while the gunshots echo. They cut back to the two still standing there, guns pointed at each other...then eventially slowly of their guns falls from their hand and he slumps over. Or maybe blood starts to spread from the wound or month before that (depending on the rating of the show/film). Usually done either so you can't tell which one fired, or just whose a better shot at the climax. Or so that you have them stand off and what really happened was a third party shot one first.

Something like that is at least as old at the 1950s.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:38   Link #243
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I take offense to that. I am a very civilized person and I had a co-worker (mind you, he was a teenaged boy) who announced that women were "worthless trash" and continued to bash women for several minutes until I couldn't take it anymore and slapped him right across the face.
I've actually met a girl who felt that she was very entitled to slap and hit boys. I remember slapping her hand away once pre-emptively when she tried it on me. It's always interesting to meet people who think that they're entitled. I know another such girl now who often jokes about being racially entitled (she's Chinese and Spanish) but it's very obvious that she thinks she is.

With that having been said, I suppose it's not really a cliche but entitlement is very annoying in characters. You see that a lot with characters that have a higher social status or are rich. Often they think they're better than everyone else, and while it does parallel real life I find it to be extremely distasteful. Fortunately you get the "rich farmer girl" who is very humble and sweet. Those almost make up for it.

For my own entry, I suppose you could consider characters who get overly embarrassed to be cliche. I've recently begun to watch a bit of anime again and I'm finding this to be an irritant currently. I can sympathize with getting embarrassed in situations where you've made a very obvious error in front of a group of people, but getting embarrassed all the time about little implications and imagery of "embarrassing" things isn't OK even as a teenager. Maybe a bit of this stems from how Japanese culture tends to take romance and other such feelings more seriously than we do in Western cultures, but it irks me. Imagery of nudity or romantic situations shouldn't cause boys to turn red and get embarrassed and stutter. Heck, even with females that annoys me. I've certainly never experienced it or met anyone else who did. I let that slide a bit when the situation is actually tense or romantic, but when both parties aren't on the same level it also annoys me. Especially since it's always the female portrayed as being confident and mature, while the male is portrayed as being timid and embarrassed.

Maybe I'm just a manly man though.

Edit: Actually, I have to address the samurai standoff. That's actually not limited to samurai. You see this a lot with Mexican standoffs where both gunmen fire, and then pause, and then one of them (or both) falls. Another example is when two characters punch each other at the same time, and then pause, and then one or both fall.
Old 2013-01-13, 02:47   Link #244
HasuMasu
*Artist

I quite like that samurai stand-off thing myself.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 12:49   Link #245
Velsy

Well I cant particularly say I hate it. But I read the light novel to Sword art online, and I didnt think it was all that great. Felt theres alot better stories and characters (with development) out there. But all I hear about the anime is praise on how good it is? I admit I havent read any of the side stories to Sword art online. But I felt the main story was rushed and pretty bland.. So unless the side stories are so good, I guess I'm sorta confused to why people think its so great.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 13:41   Link #246
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Well I cant particularly say I hate it. But I read the light novel to Sword art online, and I didnt think it was all that great. Felt theres alot better stories and characters (with development) out there. But all I hear about the anime is praise on how good it is? I admit I havent read any of the side stories to Sword art online. But I felt the main story was rushed and pretty bland.. So unless the side stories are so good, I guess I'm sorta confused to why people think its so great.
I think your post is more suited for "Anime I hate but people seems to like" thread .

In this thread, we only discuss about the cliche, not an anime in its entirety.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:11   Link #247
xland44
Otaku

What is it? Animes having unoriginal 'Transformers'-like machines
Worst Offenders: Well, most of the anime I'm going to post are epic, but it's still annoying after a while: Evangelion, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, and one more that I forgot the name of it.

What makes it popular: Well, Idk really, probably the idea got innovated.

Reasons I hate it: It gets annoying seeing similar-as-hell machines in completely different anime.

Is the hate really worth it? Probably not, as the anime were all awesome, but animes should have SOME original ideas.
xland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 14:26   Link #248
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by xland44 View Post
What is it? Animes having unoriginal 'Transformers'-like machines
Worst Offenders: Well, most of the anime I'm going to post are epic, but it's still annoying after a while: Evangelion, Code Geass, Eureka Seven, and one more that I forgot the name of it.

What makes it popular: Well, Idk really, probably the idea got innovated.

Reasons I hate it: It gets annoying seeing similar-as-hell machines in completely different anime.

Is the hate really worth it? Probably not, as the anime were all awesome, but animes should have SOME original ideas.
What the hell do you mean Evangelion has Transformers-like machines? Most of the robots in Transformers are bulky and blocky (and they can transform). EVA is an armored living giant monster with sleek and slim design (and can’t transform). EVA & Transformers couldn’t be more different.

Old 2013-01-13, 14:49   Link #249
Eragon
Still Alive

Don't get into it man. It's not worth it.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:55   Link #250
-Necromancer-
Otaku

The only thing I find slightly annoying is where characters can trip over nothing
-Necromancer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 15:42   Link #251
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Too much Fanservice in a non fanservice drivin anime.
Old 2013-01-13, 16:52   Link #252
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Necromancer- View Post
The only thing I find slightly annoying is where characters can trip over nothing
A thousand times yes. A thousand times. Not just limited to anime either, the Telltale developers doing The Walking Dead (the episodic video game) had a similar issue with the main character in the first episode. A lot of backlash came from the fact that main character was very clumsy, and although it was due to a leg injury, it was considered excessive. They agreed, and toned it down considerably.

Right now I would give you reputation points... IF I HAD ANY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
What the hell do you mean Evangelion has Transformers-like machines? Most of the robots in Transformers are bulky and blocky (and they can transform). EVA is an armored living giant monster with sleek and slim design (and can’t transform). EVA & Transformers couldn’t be more different.
This is the closest comparison to Transformers that you will find for mecha design that I can think of. Evangelion, Code Geass, and Eureka Seven all have similar mecha design to each other in that they use sleek and humanoid designs.
Old 2013-01-13, 18:32   Link #253
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Optimus Prime's face has a Gundam look to it. And yes, the RX-78-2 Gundam could pass for Optimus Prime's son, or something like that.

Shockwave and Soundwave are somewhat similar to some of the bulkier Zeon mechas.

But otherwise, yeah, Transformers aren't that much like anime mechas. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any anime mecha that looks like Megatron or Starscream.

Honestly, it would be neat if anime did something like Transformers. Where the mechas are living beings themselves. Maybe a plot where these living beings are essentially turned into slaves and forced to fight in human wars as their mechas.
Old 2013-01-13, 18:45   Link #254
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Transformers: Masterforce (late 1980s Japanese continuation of the original series) did something like that with the robots as shells for their human pilots. Not all the robots, since that was also the series that had robots hide in human shells.

But then Transformers also borrowed the VF-1S from Macross to become Jetfire. The original Transformers toyline was a mix of various other toylines repackaged and given a story about the robots, rather than the drivers (several of the toys had originally had tiny driver figures). The American idea was to have it be about the robots rather than about humans driving large mecha like the Japanese had been doing for over a decade at that point.

And there have been lots and lots, and lots of Transformers storylines and series in Japan. Just there generally isn't any other show that using the mecha as the living beings instead of the human pilots.
Old 2013-01-13, 19:18   Link #255
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Where the mechas are living beings themselves. Maybe a plot where these living beings are essentially turned into slaves and forced to fight in human wars as their mechas.
Not in the way you expected, but you've just (partly) described Evangelion. The "mecha" units there are unconscious, living biological beings implanted with internal electromechanical piloting systems and outfitted with bindings and armor that make them look like mecha. Since the beings are unconscious when under the control of a pilot, they are essentially slave "mecha" used to fight for human causes. Until they awaken and go berserk, that is.
Old 2013-01-13, 19:20   Link #256
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Brave Series are the closest thing to Transformers, with a good reason.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:27   Link #257
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Optimus Prime's face has a Gundam look to it. And yes, the RX-78-2 Gundam could pass for Optimus Prime's son, or something like that.
Actually, RX-78-2 Gundam came first (1979) before Optimus (1984). So, it would be the opposite.

Anyway, it's nice that most people here don't generalize and accuse mechas in anime being rip-offs of Transformers .
Old 2013-01-13, 21:10   Link #258
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Actually, RX-78-2 Gundam came first (1979) before Optimus (1984). So, it would be the opposite.

Anyway, it's nice that most people here don't generalize and accuse mechas in anime being rip-offs of Transformers .
Speaking of Gundam and Macross, Gundam also predates Macross by about three years. A lot of people get those confused as well. On a similar note...

Young characters who take to long to adapt to their situation or try to remain rigid in their beliefs when there's just no room for it. I understand that these characters don't want this situation and that they feel they've been forced into a bad place, but they know better. They're old enough to get over it, in most cases. In Macross I felt like the child character was perpetually stupid in some respects. Amuro was a very realistic character, but I felt like his whiny phase was poorly timed. Just as well, with his father being a military scientist and him studying his designs like he did I don't fully understand how he manages to remain so pacifistic. Especially when you consider where Amuro ends up down the road I don't really see where that phase came from.
Old 2013-01-14, 00:06   Link #259
takai
Easy Muffin

The infamous line "I'll never forgive you!"

I honestly don't have a "good" reason to hate it, it's just annoying after hearing it about 1000 times. And more often than not, it's usually trivial anyway.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:40   Link #260
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Necromancer- View Post
*trips over nothing a lot*

Depending on the type of shoes you are wearing, I assure you, it's entirely possible. Whether it's the texture of the floor/ground or the shoes are too big or have awkward soles....seriously, it could be just about anything.

Quote:
The infamous line "I'll never forgive you!"
「絶対許さない!」
"ZETTAI YURUSANAI!"
I find that amusing...because it's like "hey...um the villain doesn't really care, you know?"
But I think they put it in to show how pissed the character saying it is. Basically stating, "I am going to kick your ass now and show no mercy".
(why not just say that, then? XD)

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad