Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 18:14   Link #2081
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Easily targeted to teenagers.

That and one of the main Japanese demographics for this show is children 4-12.
I agree on the teenagers but ages 4-12 in Japan? Are you serious? I know this is anime but some of the quantum physics stuff they talk about in the show won't be easily comprehended by a 4th or 5th grader.

Anyway whoever licenses this series is bent on using the title Starblazers I hope they will just keep it to just that and not change the names of the characters and the ship. Maybe they can add a subtitle like "Voyage of the Space Battleship Yamato" or something similar.

Last edited by bumbayker; 2013-04-21 at 18:25.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 18:23   Link #2082
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Any kind of licensing is good news for me, since it's the only real way for me to get my family to watch shows I'm following. Though, will they keep Yamato, or go with Starblazers again? How will this work out I wonder, given the cast expansion, not to mention flipping the genders of one character!

Oh, slightly unrelated, did we ever get the name of the person Dessler is playing chess with via phone?
Old 2013-04-21, 18:28   Link #2083
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The high level stuff can go over the kids head, but they don't care. Stuff's blowing up. Also it is unwise to underestimate the young when it comes to these things.

They might just market it under the known US name but do almost nothing else to it. The questions will come up if they try to dub it. Will they keep the Yamato names, or go with the 1979 Star Blazers names? The new characters have no English names and of course Yamamoto was a male named Hardy in Star Blazers (though that was his last name...the comics only gave him the full name of Jefferson Davis Hardy, as he had a thick Southern accent).

As to who Dessler is playing over the phone. No. We can guess from the original who he is talking to however.
Old 2013-04-21, 18:49   Link #2084
Trickshot

Just a gut feeling, but I think they may have chosen to keep the "Starblazers" name because they don't have much faith in--or understanding of--the knowledge of Western audiences. The producers may not think it will sell as well without the linkage. That being said, I would hope they wouldn't try to Westernize the story or the character names this time around, as fandom has demonstrated that it supports and prefers authenticity. They're not selling to a general syndicated late 70s-early 80s TV market anymore.
Trickshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 19:00   Link #2085
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That and the characters name appear in English from time to time in the series. In fact there is a lot of English text used in this show.
Old 2013-04-21, 19:19   Link #2086
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I think I'll go buy off the imports. Star Blazers leaves me a cold blaze that flickers off....
Old 2013-04-21, 19:24   Link #2087
August138

Simply put, the reason why they are going with the STAR BLAZERS (yes, it's two words, not one) branding, is that is the title that the show was sold as around the world — although it did pick up different names in different localizations in some territories. But, it is widely known as STAR BLAZERS — and while both titles are largely unknown to American Anime fans, this seems the way to go, using a much more known brand than SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO. For better or worse.
Old 2013-04-21, 22:15   Link #2088
Trickshot

I don't have any particular objection to STARBLAZERS over STAR BLAZERS, if that is indeed the way they'll go with it, but I draw the line at Garmilas over Gamilas. Sorry, can't do that one.
Trickshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 15:00   Link #2089
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
I'm not too keen on the retaining the name Starblazers. I watched it when I was a kid in the 80s and loved the series. But honestly unless you were around during that time you probably won't remember the name. Not to mention it sounds really tacky IMO. The rebranding was merely a localization move to market US children at the time. Now with access to the internet, information on the franchise and series is easily available. I beleive anime fans today are more familiar with the name Yamato than Starblazers.
This kinds of remakes show up like clockwork. Pick a popular kids show, add 20/30 years after the original running and remake it. Presto: instant cash-in on nostalgia with all those kids now grown up with pockets filled with disposable income to throw at anything that reminds them of the "good ol' days".

It's the simplest recipe in the entertainment business and if you're lucky you end up snatching up another generation of fans to do it all over again 20/30 years down the line.
Old 2013-04-22, 18:46   Link #2090
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yes, but what did the new people think of episode 3?
Old 2013-04-22, 23:20   Link #2091
bumbayker

Quote:
Yes, but what did the new people think of episode 3?
Why episode 3 particularly?
Old 2013-04-22, 23:32   Link #2092
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because that was the one that came out this last Sunday. I assume there are people that are going to watch it one week at a time.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:41   Link #2093
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
This kinds of remakes show up like clockwork. Pick a popular kids show, add 20/30 years after the original running and remake it. Presto: instant cash-in on nostalgia with all those kids now grown up with pockets filled with disposable income to throw at anything that reminds them of the "good ol' days".

It's the simplest recipe in the entertainment business and if you're lucky you end up snatching up another generation of fans to do it all over again 20/30 years down the line.
The actual retitling of the series to Star Blazers isn't really a problem per se. What I'm wary is whoever licenses it has any plans of changing more than that. The old Star Blazers had heavily edited the original series to suit western kids in the 80s. That was fine back in the day when anime wasn't mainstream yet. But now I don't think I can bear watching it if they rename the characters to their Star Blazers counterparts or worse the Yamato itself.
Old 2013-04-23, 00:56   Link #2094
August138

Bumbaker, STAR BLAZERS wasn't "heavily edited" for the "kids in the 80s"; in fact, it was the least edited or altered Japanese import of the time (which was the late '70s), in comparison to other series including BATTLE OF THE PLANETS, CAPTAIN HARLOCK (both the Ziv and Harmony Gold versions), ROBOTECH, TRANZOR Z, et. al. — and it was that faithfulness to the original, which garnered so much attention and helped to launch the first wave of organized Anime Fandom in the US, which the others (sans ROBOTECH) never did — with most fading into obscurity.

With that being said, 34 years later, I don't see anyone wanting to modify the series beyond the title — there's too much English text in YAMATO: 2199 for anyone to start calling the ship, Argo, or anything like that. In fact, I would assume that the only change would be the title, and perhaps the main characters, using their SB equivalents (although we're way past being able to use names like "Derek Wildstar"). At the same time, I don't think that they'll start editing out violence or death, or using "Robot Tanks," because the market they will be aiming for by using the SB brand, would be the 30-50 nostalgia demographic.
Old 2013-04-23, 01:05   Link #2095
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Something I always wondered about Robotech. How many people were into the later arcs or were they all sold on the just first (Macross) arc? I've seen that arc and remember only the first few episodes of the second arc. I know I saw some of the others, but can't remember any of it (I know I did because I found an old VHS tape with one episode of the second arc and part of an episode of Battle of the Planets.)
Old 2013-04-23, 05:29   Link #2096
macdawson

After weeks without significant updates, yamato2199.net gives us some amazing stuff. First, the story page was updated with the 4 episodes from Chapter V with some new images (i dare you not to laugh at the picture of Dr. Sado in episode 16 XD). Then, the surprises start as, along with those, they've posted the episodes for Chapter VI. No images yet but we get brief synopsis of that batch of episodes.

http://yamato2199.net/story/story_15.html

Then, the most un-updated section on the site, the Gallery, finally gets... well, an update... and it's a big one. Images of the sets used in episodes 1 to 6. Not screen captures but the actual set illustrations, from the bridges of the Yukikaze and Kirishima, to the resuply base on Jupiter, from the mines at Enceladus to the "fist of power" on Baleras. Beautiful stuff. GO SEE IT NOW!!!

http://yamato2199.net/gallery/index.html
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 11:23   Link #2097
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nice additions. Though what I've waiting for is a mecha update. The carriers have no stats and the new battleship and torpedo boats have no pages.

Plus the battlecarrier for Chapter 6 needs a preview page like the other three carriers.
Old 2013-04-23, 18:14   Link #2098
Znail

Quote:
Something I always wondered about Robotech. How many people were into the later arcs or were they all sold on the just first (Macross) arc? I've seen that arc and remember only the first few episodes of the second arc. I know I saw some of the others, but can't remember any of it (I know I did because I found an old VHS tape with one episode of the second arc and part of an episode of Battle of the Planets.)
Well, the second and third arc are pretty good. The main reason that Robotech (US version) and the original Macross are still a known brands is because it was one of the first cartoons that used a Saga type of story format instead of the standard weekly standalone format. (There is actually a Robotech miniature game on kickstarter right now).

I am not that concerned about any localisation as I prefeer subtitles to dubs anyway, so wont get an english version, unless it have dubs and original audio as well. The only good part is that English dvds tend to be a lot cheaper then Japanese ones.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 18:22   Link #2099
Beltane70

Quote:
I enjoyed all three arcs of Robotech, with Macross being my favorite of the three. I liked the other two arc enough that I tracked down and watched the Japanese versions of them. Eventually, the other two arcs, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada got subtitled R1 DVD releases, which I also own.

Robotech wasn't even that heavily edited and character deaths were never covered up. Except for some of the more violent scenes most of the show was relatively intact.

The heaviest edits were to the second arc. Since Robotech was supposed to take place entirely on Earth or near it, Southern Cross had to be changed since, in the original Japanese version, the show took place on a totally different planet, several light-years away.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 00:03   Link #2100
August138

COMING SOON FROM BANDAI!

The 1/72 "Cosmo Falcon" plastic model kit is coming from Bandai, available in both "Kato" and "Shinohara" versions! These will measure around 9" and will hit store shelves this July and September, respectively (MSRP 2940 Yen)!

1/1000 "Garmillas Astro Fleet Set 3" plastic model kit containing the Meltoria Class Astro Battleship (measuring approximately 12'') and the UX-01 Dimensional Submarine (approximately 6") will be released by Bandai this October (MSRP TBA)!

1/1000 "Zellgutto Class Astro Dreadnaught Domelus III" plastic model kit is on the docket from Bandai and will measure a whopping 28"! This can also be built to represent General Zoellick's "Zellgutto II" or Lord Dessler's "Deusler I"! Release date and MSRP are TBA! Can the Gyperon Class Astro Carriers be far behind?

Last edited by August138; 2013-04-24 at 13:30.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato