AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-06, 14:25   Link #81
sevenheaven7

who is the main character?is it a man or a woman?
Old 2006-11-06, 14:30   Link #82
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenheaven7 View Post
who is the main character?is it a man or a woman?
The main character is a 16 year old girl, Sara Werec.

BTW Shinsen have released ep 2. \o/

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-06 at 14:57. Reason: added series link for episodes
Old 2006-11-06, 14:34   Link #83
martino
makes no files now

This is looking quite interesting...

Generally I don't like mecha, but I suppose it is worth dropping Code Geass for this. The animation looks quite nice imo, and the mecha designs look quite interesting. Sara's scream at the end of episode 1 was quite powerful like; I've never heard one like it before...
Old 2006-11-06, 15:22   Link #84
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

This was very,very intresting.More than code geass if you want my opinion.
The only two problems I have are the music wich is generic beyond description and the colors.I don't like bright colors.

For the rest:excellent.
The betrayal was expected from the moment they started to talk about him like he was a god but it was effective.The fight was great,you can already feel this won't be GSD.Here,if you screw up,you die.And I like it that way.

The mecha design is good.Similar to escaflown if I rember well but I like escaflowne anyway.
Old 2006-11-06, 15:57   Link #85
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
...Sara's scream at the end of episode 1 was quite powerful like; I've never heard one like it before...
Yes, a great scream by Kawasumi Ayako, Sara's VA. The scream in episode 1 of Simoun by Neviril (VA: Takahashi Rieko) was also really gut-wrenching. There is one other similarity between the two first eps:
Spoiler for ep1 of Simoun:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-11-06, 16:04   Link #86
molitar

Ok from the first episode their is alot of unanswered questions and we can tell hidden agenda's going on.

Reason 1: Ralph is older but their is no way he went 130 light years away and returned she would be dead by than she stated it herself that he was a liar when he said when he returns.

Reason 2: The girl he rescued from the old military lab knew him you could see it by the way she greeted him when she woke up.

So this tells us some things right there the fight can not be 130 light years away but alot closer to home but why hide this fact? Two what were they doing to the girl that made him turn traitor to rescue her? I think most of the answers lay around her.

I have to feel for Sara so badly she has no answers. No idea why he did what he did. As well as the one she cared for so deeply just murdered all her comrades so she doesn't even have a single comrade to lean on right now in the worst turmoil of her life. But I don't think she will take anything at face value again and she would have to change her name to try to learn the real truth behind what is going on, because once she calms down she is going to know for a fact her brother could not have traveled 130 light years and back in her lifetime.
Old 2006-11-06, 16:07   Link #87
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

btw anyone going to blog this series?

This series is too good to be left blowing on the wind like this.
Old 2006-11-06, 16:25   Link #88
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
btw anyone going to blog this series?

This series is too good to be left blowing on the wind like this.
Sadly not. I've only seen it mentioned in Fall previews. Hopefully someone will pick it up now the first two episodes have been subbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yes, a great scream by Kawasumi Ayako, Sara's VA. The scream in episode 1 of Simoun by Neviril (VA: Takahashi Rieko) was also really gut-wrenching. There is one other similarity between the two first eps:
Spoiler for ep1 of Simoun:
Kawasumi Ayako's performance was one of the highlights for me. Interesting that you mentioned Simoun though: it was one of the shows that sprung to mind when I watched the first episode. I think the similarities are superficial though, such as the aerial combat with the Tumor drones and the landscapes involved. Though can easily imagine someone who liked Simoun enjoying Soukou no Strain.

Ep 2 on the otherhand, have me entirely different vibes, such as Stellvia. But much darker and intense.
Old 2006-11-06, 16:57   Link #89
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
After watcing episode 2, I have to say this series has great potential. And I like spunky girls like Sara as well.

Considering this is directed by the same guy who directed Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, I wonder if we're going to get lots of tense moments throughout this series (and throw in a few comedic moments from time to time ).
Old 2006-11-06, 17:04   Link #90
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

It seems people(as in the characters) in this anime have no problem with nudity.In the first episode,we see both guys and girls in the same locker room.

Also when Sara and her friends rush into the locker room,you see Sara starting to undress and in the next scene,we see Sara zipping up her suit but we can clearly see she has nothing under there.
Old 2006-11-06, 17:15   Link #91
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
It seems people(as in the characters) in this anime have no problem with nudity.In the first episode,we see both guys and girls in the same locker room.
Nobody was actually changing. That seems to be MIMIC storage room only. Notice that the other two came to the entrance of the room after changing (ie got changed elsewhere) and Sara and puppy-boy left the room to get changed.

Quote:
Also when Sara and her friends rush into the locker room,you see Sara starting to undress and in the next scene,we see Sara zipping up her suit but we can clearly see she has nothing under there.
It's not actually clear how much the others could have seen. She seemed right next to some heavy machinery, so she might have had some privacy...
Old 2006-11-06, 17:29   Link #92
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Yeah,the 2nd episode makes all that much clearer.

Sara's not getting any breaks.Lose her brother,lose her friends,brother betrays her,girls tease her and she lost her pendant.It's a miracle she kept her sanity through all that.Most likely because she keeps her mind focused on her goal.

I really like how this anime has a deep story,without going so deep it would be impossible to tie all the loose ends.We already know a lot more about the mysterious girl (Emily).It remains to be seen why she was worth destroying the Reasoner academy.

I sure hope Isabella gets killed soon,she's so annoying

The threadmill scene was funny.It had a nice beat to it,if it weren't for the situation it's almost like a training video! XD
Old 2006-11-06, 17:36   Link #93
martino
makes no files now

I was kinda dissapointed from the 2nd episode. Not sure, but I was expecting a bit more...
Old 2006-11-06, 17:58   Link #94
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

If you've actually checked the Soukou no Strain official website, you'll see that in the character list, there are two Emily's. One is the one which Sara finds in ep2, and the other is the one Ralph "stole" in ep1.

I really hate bitchy characters that do nothing but make the protagonist's life hell. Those kinds of characters are really two-dimensional in my opinion, and serve no purpose other than to annoy watchers.
Old 2006-11-06, 18:11   Link #95
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post

I sure hope Isabella gets killed soon,she's so annoying

Lol, I just noticed Isabella is played by Rie Tanaka (Lacus). Feel free to hate away... :P

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-11-06 at 18:27.
Old 2006-11-06, 18:12   Link #96
multani2842

Spoiler for Screenshots of the new episode 3 preview:
Old 2006-11-06, 18:17   Link #97
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I have rewatched episode one and seen episode two.

While I'll be generalizing that Soukou no Strain should be voted as the best sci-fi drama of the season it did introduce the story with dense drama and a solid female lead.

There have been other sci-fi dramas involving mechas that wind-up my expectations like Neon Genesis Evangelion, RahXephon or the recently concluded, Innocent Venus.

But I have grown quickly attached to Soukou no Strain mainly for Sara. In one moment she had all this seemingly unending, perfect happiness and in the next chaos wreaked on her face, losing her illusions and signaling the chaotic end of her childhood dreams.

I remember one of zalas posts that the character's names were taken from those of the characters featured in A Little Princess and the The Secret Garden.

I have read the book and watched movie for The Secret Garden but never did so for Little Princess, that's why I searched this story at wiki. What I found is that Sara's losses and misfortunes maybe quite parallel to those of the Sara from Little Princess.
I mean both Saras at the start have it all and unexpectedly lose everything with a certain calamity. Following, as both of them grow up they experience and suffer terrible hardships ranging from ostracism through isolation to deliberate torture by others.

I was thinking that the Sara from Soukou no Strain would have ended up like Layla Ashley from Avenger. Since Layla Ashley was totally devoid of a human soul except for her attachment toward Nei, her doll, and disconnected from the mundane. She existed in the world as a shell of her former self with only a purpose to earn, and that was vengeance upon Volk, the man responsible for the onslaught of her family.
As I have seen for episode two, Sara has not yet given signs that vengeance has consumed her or felt in need of it as the only justification to drive her existence, nonetheless, she's comitted to vengeance for everything that was taken from her.
But unlike Layla, Sara's still connected with her emotions, which she have not cast aside, and I can really empathize with all the abuse she must cope everday from Isabella and the other girls at the academy.

That's another reason why this title is quickly growing beyond my expectations. How Sara's walking the path through a mist of confusion, isolation, and object of hatred, as she tries to harden her outer self in order to mask the frailty and defenselessness of her inner personality.

Spoiler:

And just like everyone else is expecting, the moment the camera panned on Emily I proclaimed, Suigin-tou, just like many others did. Too bad that Rie Tanaka was not casted. Could imagine any sorts of stuff circumventing around my head if she had been casted to play Emily, another doll character.

Furthermore, changing her last name to Cruz is basic common sense to prevent further harrassing and death hate to fall upon her, because her brother turned from the Elite number one pilot of the Union to the worst scum the Universe has ever scorned, an image that Sara did not want from anybody else to associate her with.
Spoiler:

I do find Sara fascinating as both a character and person, and I hope she won't end up like Layla Ashley did at the conclusion of Avenger.
Old 2006-11-06, 18:35   Link #98
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Lol, I just noticed Isabella is played by Rie Tanaka (Lacus). Feel free to hate away... :P

Like Guido said, too bad she wasn't cast as Emily, she can insult the other girls by calling them junk

Sara actually remind me more of Ryu Soma form Argento Soma. Both had it all then suddenly loss it all. Both change names and threw away thier former self for vengence. Now the question is, did Sara receive any help form the military in getting her identiy. And if she did, what kind of deal did she make with them.
Old 2006-11-06, 18:45   Link #99
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Like Guido said, too bad she wasn't cast as Emily, she can insult the other girls by calling them junk

Sara actually remind me more of Ryu Soma form Argento Soma. Both had it all then suddenly loss it all. Both change names and threw away thier former self for vengence. Now the question is, did Sara receive any help form the military in getting her identiy. And if she did, what kind of deal did she make with them.

Xellos, in fact, he was my second option of a character to draw close comparison to Sera, and I have him circumventing my mind as I made my post.

Your comments provides more plausible grounds to describe Sara's situation.

In fact, what would be for an unexpected twist be on Ralph.
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-06, 18:57   Link #100
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Xellos, in fact, he was my second option of a character to draw close comparison to Sera, and I have him circumventing my mind as I made my post.

Your comments provides more plausible grounds to describe Sara's situation.

In fact, what would be for an unexpected twist be on Ralph.
Spoiler:
I am sure Ralph had a reason for doing what he did. Whether we agree with him or not is the issue.

As for which side is the bad guy in the war? I doubt either side is completely clean. Considering how long the war has been going on both side had probably did plenty of dirty stuff. The question is less of who is clean but who is less dirty.