AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 1 2.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 21.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 26.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.52%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 11.90%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 4.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-03, 07:03   Link #141
Father Hentai

[QUOTE=don_Durandal;2621937]True, Illeas has a point about Damon. It was odd in the game how he didn't attempt to draft Alicia under his direct subordination. But then again this is General Damon we are speaking about...

Spoiler for This is a spoiler:
QUOTE]

I think it's clear why Damon did not draft her in the game: she is a commoner with no regular military career.

As for the rest. Please wrap this in spoile tags because this is not shown yet in the anime series and I think this is still to be shown somehow.
Old 2009-09-03, 07:14   Link #142
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Now, linking Selvaria and Alicia together could have been a decent plot point. But, this team had gotten so many other aspects wrong that I won't bet on them making something good out of this particular point.
They could have. Its too late to introduce something new like that and go into it in detail since there is already plenty on the plate with the last few episodes.. so yeah.
Old 2009-09-03, 08:28   Link #143
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Now, linking Selvaria and Alicia together could have been a decent plot point. But, this team had gotten so many other aspects wrong that I won't bet on them making something good out of this particular point.
Like DragoZERO said, it's a bit late to introduce something like that into the story. At this rate, i can just see a final battle happening between the two, and we all know how it'll end up. Happy ending for everyone.
Old 2009-09-03, 08:39   Link #144
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Just another of those "why?" questions which we want to ask the anime crew.

But seriously, if done right, it could at least show how two girls with a shared past can turn out so differently.
Old 2009-09-03, 09:26   Link #145
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
But seriously, if done right, it could at least show how two girls with a shared past can turn out so differently.
Yeah.. I don't think that's what the story is about... nor is their "hotness" relevant.
Old 2009-09-03, 10:53   Link #146
Joe_fh

Well I can't say I'm a hater but all the things that are happening make no sense whatsoever. I haven't played the game so I can't compare the two but in the anime the characters act like they have different personalities each episode. Not only that - their actions make no sense at all..I'm surre you'll all agree.

The example of everyone being scared of Alicia because she is a WMD on their side is really wrong. IF you think of her as a weapon - you usually feal secured when you have a thing like that on your side. In fact it boost morale a lot and considering Alicia won that battle I'm pretty sure there's no reason to be that afraid that you'll say she's scary and stuff like that. Especially considering the fact they are, from what she said and the things they went through until now, her family. I understand if the're are scared FOR her since she'll have to face a lot of hardships from now on but that's really different. They needed to show they're concerned about her and not that "crap" (well it wasn't really all that bad but it was way over the top and really random).

Oh and generally if a very close person to you changes, in most cases you try to support him if you really love and care for him/her...especially if the change wasn't his/her choice (like in this case)

And Damon recruiting her at that point didn't really make sense from what we saw in the anime this far. Alicia's case is the same as Squad 7 - they're good, they always get the job done and they even make the impossible possible. He knew that all along but he didn't recruit them now did he? He used them too their full strength for things he probably thought couldn't be done. So why should it be different with Alicia? He could still send the whole of Squad 7 with Alicia wherever whe wants to. Basically that move was out of character for him.

But hey from things up till now we can clearly see that there is almost no trace of strategy or rational thinking (except when Welkin states the obvious) so it's quite clear it's futile to compare the actions of the characters to how people would act in reality.
Old 2009-09-03, 10:58   Link #147
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

The scared of squad 7 make me laugh in this episode . "Monster" "Alicia's scary" etc ... , give me a break will you . Well , at least they got free screentimes to put down their characters .
Old 2009-09-03, 11:25   Link #148
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
The example of everyone being scared of Alicia because she is a WMD on their side is really wrong. IF you think of her as a weapon - you usually feal secured when you have a thing like that on your side. In fact it boost morale a lot and considering Alicia won that battle I'm pretty sure there's no reason to be that afraid that you'll say she's scary and stuff like that. Especially considering the fact they are, from what she said and the things they went through until now, her family. I understand if the're are scared FOR her since she'll have to face a lot of hardships from now on but that's really different. They needed to show they're concerned about her and not that "crap" (well it wasn't really all that bad but it was way over the top and really random).

Oh and generally if a very close person to you changes, in most cases you try to support him if you really love and care for him/her...especially if the change wasn't his/her choice (like in this case)
Except Valkyria is a race that exterminated their own race.
I also raised numerous times before but few addressed------she's not using her Val power by her will but, what I'll understand as, her "thirst" for combat as a Valkyria. Yeah, she won a battle for them right now, but as long as she's not wielding her power by her own will like Selveria did, there's still also a chance for her going berserk. Hence the fear.
If you understand why the medic from the Standing Army fears her so much then one can understand why some members of 7th will fear about her so much------no, it's not about friendship/familyship but basic human thoughts of insecurity.

I'm sure that some animes long time ago also showed the same thing, though I forgot which exact piece where it's from......
Old 2009-09-03, 11:36   Link #149
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
The scared of squad 7 make me laugh in this episode . "Monster" "Alicia's scary" etc ... , give me a break will you . Well , at least they got free screentimes to put down their characters .
I agree. lol

That scene was so absurd to me.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-09-03, 12:02   Link #150
Joe_fh

True but they didn't really know that she wasn't in control of her powers - she showed up atacked the enemy, saved them and passed out. The medic left me with more ofan ipression of aclumsy person that is afraid to speak to someone important thus she is nervous. The Vlakirias were godesses of war so it's more normal to hail them as heroes. Another point is that at no time was it mentioned that they killed their own race or if it was, it was in the episode with the ruin thus only Faldio, Welkin and Alicia knew. Heck most soldiers acted like they didn't know what a Valkyria is.

Mind you I was talking only about the people in Squad 7. The others probably had more of a reason to hail her as a hero since they didn't really care about her feelings as a person. The first instinct might be to be afraid but that would normally last for the first few minutes. They know her well enough so they don't have a decent reason to be afraid. I mean they didn't even talk to her..how do they know she changed as a perso? Well they don't. They're judjing her without reason.

Imagine if your best friend did something that is strange and unusual for his character. In the first minute you might react "wtf did he do" but a few minutes after that when you accept that in fact this is really happening you'll try to understand what's really going on by asking him if he/she is indeed a close and important person to you. They skipped all that. And ot top of that they're all war veterans so they should be able to adapt and asses the situation way more quickly than a normal person would thus the time of the initial shock which might last an hour at best with this sort of thing should be cut down to really just a few minutes.

But well I'm comparing it with how people would react in reality which, as I said a in my previous post, shouldn't be the case in this anime. Thy act too random and too out of character. Considering most of the them don't have enough deveopment as it is, it makes matters even worse. But hey don't say I'm a hater. It sure has it's moments plus some of the characters look good.
Old 2009-09-03, 12:17   Link #151
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

I'm pretty sure Judging from how everybody knows the Legend of the Valkyria they should be heralded as Heroes. Not as Monsters. I mean, the animation studio did the part of the darcsens being hated right, Why not the Valkyria? Why would the race that "saved" the continent be shunned as a monster?

That's the main part of this episode that irks me. It did serve its purpose well though, creating Angst.
Old 2009-09-03, 12:54   Link #152
MagicHat

I didn't mind the unease.

Decent episode, enjoyed watching the varying reactions to the battle and to recent events.
Old 2009-09-03, 13:02   Link #153
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
True but they didn't really know that she wasn't in control of her powers - she showed up atacked the enemy, saved them and passed out. The medic left me with more ofan ipression of aclumsy person that is afraid to speak to someone important thus she is nervous. The Vlakirias were godesses of war so it's more normal to hail them as heroes. Another point is that at no time was it mentioned that they killed their own race or if it was, it was in the episode with the ruin thus only Faldio, Welkin and Alicia knew. Heck most soldiers acted like they didn't know what a Valkyria is.

Mind you I was talking only about the people in Squad 7. The others probably had more of a reason to hail her as a hero since they didn't really care about her feelings as a person. The first instinct might be to be afraid but that would normally last for the first few minutes. They know her well enough so they don't have a decent reason to be afraid. I mean they didn't even talk to her..how do they know she changed as a perso? Well they don't. They're judjing her without reason.

Imagine if your best friend did something that is strange and unusual for his character. In the first minute you might react "wtf did he do" but a few minutes after that when you accept that in fact this is really happening you'll try to understand what's really going on by asking him if he/she is indeed a close and important person to you. They skipped all that. And ot top of that they're all war veterans so they should be able to adapt and asses the situation way more quickly than a normal person would thus the time of the initial shock which might last an hour at best with this sort of thing should be cut down to really just a few minutes.

But well I'm comparing it with how people would react in reality which, as I said a in my previous post, shouldn't be the case in this anime. Thy act too random and too out of character. Considering most of the them don't have enough deveopment as it is, it makes matters even worse. But hey don't say I'm a hater. It sure has it's moments plus some of the characters look good.
I re-checked this episode for these matters. (with subs, obviously)
1. The medic's reaction isn't as what you think of------nervous, yeah, but it's in a bad way. She's not even trying to say anything to Alicia until she hurried for exit and left some usual words like "just call if you have any needs" and her VO is simply shaking. Is it a way to treat a hero, if she really is one?
2. No, even other units also said Alicia is a monster. Or at least it's said by a member of 7th. Remember my word that "ignorance brings fear"?
3. I guess it's not totally the problem of 7th for not talking with Alicia in the first place------first, they're still not sure about what's going on with ALicia so tehy asked Welkin (2nd half). Second, even Welkin doesn't even know where Alicia was after the battle, as there're hard orders from above for not disclosing it to anyone (beginning).

That, I'm not saying that 7th shouldn't be able to bear such shock, but such a change is just too radical. Just like a member asked, "Is she is the same Alicia that we know?" Before this battle she's just a normal person as they normally knew, but becoming a heir of an exterminated race which wields enormous power like a WMD is simply beyond the scope of being "unusual".
Old 2009-09-03, 15:12   Link #154
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
You know, when you see Imperial troops, they are always pumped up when Selvaria's out there, know nothing about Valkyrias' history and only think about having her on their side (and don't pull out the concious vs. unconscious stuff). About Gallian forces and Squad 7, they can be surprised and still get pumped up about finally having help on their side without acting like ignorants.

Quote:

...And ot top of that they're all war veterans so they should be able to adapt and asses the situation way more quickly than a normal person...
A FEW MINUTES OF FEAR, nothing more! That's how it should be considering Squad 7 had a big share of tough, deadly and almost impossible operations (Squad 7 should be Gallia's version of the 2nd Rangers in WWII by now). These guys should already be hardened veterans by now with more than enough composure to handle the situation and never to judge Alicia too quickly. Besides, knowing you have a Valkyria on your side, you should be more than happy that the chance to kick Imperials out of the country is looming large since Selvaria got nailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
I agree aisha's reaction and some them call for her gone was well bluntly melodramatic and unnecessary (just stating concern would have been enough). i think the base idea of the squad airing out concerns was a necessary component. which would have been one welkin rousing speech to get everyone back to their senses.
What did I say in my earlier rant on her case? If you can't take it, the fool should pack up and go home in disgrace. If you ask me, her reaction IS a disgrace for a soldier, especially a supposedly hardened veteran (despite her age) with the number of tough battles Squad 7 has been involved in. What's even worse is that we didn't have Rosie (immediate superior to the likes of Aisha) to grab Aisha, scold her, reprimand her with reminders about Alicia's true person, and throw her to the ground with disgust should we go there to keep discipline (never you should talk that way about our sergeant, our friend and big sister). You should not even need your top superior to get out there and get everyone back to their senses when these soldiers can, to some extent, already be called veterans.

I will see what happens next, but I feel that some idiots are putting more drama than we need to when the focus should be on the next 2 fronts of the war: the Imperial stronghold at the border and Maximilian's Marmota.
Old 2009-09-03, 15:48   Link #155
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
You know, when you see Imperial troops, they are always pumped up when Selvaria's out there, know nothing about Valkyrias' history and only think about having her on their side (and don't pull out the concious vs. unconscious stuff). About Gallian forces and Squad 7, they can be surprised and still get pumped up about finally having help on their side without acting like ignorants.
But they know her call sign as "azure witch". And I think she has also shown her powers already earlier of the series. In addition. She is in Rank of a General. Don't think that she only get to this rank sleeping with Maximilian. She is known as something special or even more she is accepted as a descendant of the valkyrs.
Old 2009-09-03, 16:21   Link #156
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
Except Valkyria is a race that exterminated their own race.
That's not how the Legends of the Valkyrur are told in the VC universe, both anime and game (it's also wrong in the true history).

This is what the common people in the VC universe know and believe:
Spoiler for info from the Encyclopedia:

note: I put that in spoiler tags to save space, but it's not spoilers per se as it's basic VC knowledge. You can safely read it.
Old 2009-09-03, 17:06   Link #157
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Anyone seen the 2nd valkyria special episode yet?
Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-03, 18:00   Link #158
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Spoiler:
Oh, boy! I can't wait to see that one soon enough.
Old 2009-09-03, 19:31   Link #159
KariOhki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
Spoiler:
Ehehehe, I just saw it too.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-04, 10:20   Link #160
Chrono Helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Blah! rep for actually remembering that much about a character that no one cares about. Well maybe it's just me not paying attention to loli characters. I bet Shiroth would of remember everything in fine detail.
There's also character profiles on the offical website, you know.