AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-22, 12:29   Link #41
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
most UC shows don't have recyled footage even clips shows, but the newer shows have them, and its really a turn off at times... which is why sseed and destiyn are too hard to get to like. Wing had it, but for some reason i didn't mind... but seed, i expected it to be good cuase of newer technology...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:11   Link #42
avmoghe

After a rather long delay due to academic reasons (grad school exams, for one), I have finally finished watching Gundam Seed Destiny. I was most reminded of Gundam X - the ending seemed to be simply tacked onto the series with little regard to whether it connected with the rest of the series. I had high hopes for the series, but it ended up being just another mediocre series like most of the Gundam Franchise.

In either case, concerning the topic at hand, here is my ranking (I've seen everything that has been ranked in its entirety).

--------------------------------------------------
1.) Gundam Seed - After having seen almost every Gundam show, this one remains my clear favorite. Despite its obvious flaws, I still maintain that nothing else in Gundam compares to the last third of the series. This is among my all-time favorite series along with Juuni Kokki, Crest/Banner of the Stars, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

2.) MSG Movies - The movies show substantial improvement (in content, as well as animation) over what I've seen of the TV series. The compression of over 40 episodes into three movies rarely allows for a dull moment. This is an excellent trilogy.

---- All of the series ranked below are ones which I thought were simply mediocre.
3.) Victory Gundam
4.) 0083
5.) Zeta Gundam
6.) 0080
7.) Char's Counterattack
8.) ZZ Gundam
9.) Gundam X
10.) Gundam Seed Destiny
11.) 08th MS Team
12.) Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz
----
----The only Gundam entry that I classify as 'bad'
13.) Gundam Wing

Note: I've seen 6 episodes of G Gundam, and don't think I can bear to watch anymore. I've yet to complete Turn A Gundam.
Since I cannot claim to have completed Turn A and G Gundam, they are not ranked.
avmoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 21:28   Link #43
polar720

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General
How could anyone like Camille more than Loran Kinda hard to understand. But I guess I just have a general distaste for angsty whiney kids.
He`s not "angsty and whiny", he`s more of an "angry young man" syndrome and frankly he had my favorite development out of any Gundam character. Amuro and Shinji were angsty and whiny.
polar720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 00:52   Link #44
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar720
He`s not "angsty and whiny", he`s more of an "angry young man" syndrome and frankly he had my favorite development out of any Gundam character. Amuro and Shinji were angsty and whiny.
Amuro was angsty? When did he ever second-guess himself or wonder if what he was doing was right? And even whiny is a bit of a stretch, unless you think crying over a lot of dear friends' deaths is whining.
Old 2005-12-23, 01:21   Link #45
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
After a rather long delay due to academic reasons (grad school exams, for one), I have finally finished watching Gundam Seed Destiny. I was most reminded of Gundam X - the ending seemed to be simply tacked onto the series with little regard to whether it connected with the rest of the series. I had high hopes for the series, but it ended up being just another mediocre series like most of the Gundam Franchise.

In either case, concerning the topic at hand, here is my ranking (I've seen everything that has been ranked in its entirety).

1.) Gundam Seed - After having seen almost every Gundam show, this one remains my clear favorite. Despite its obvious flaws, I still maintain that nothing else in Gundam compares to the last third of the series. This is among my all-time favorite series along with Juuni Kokki, Crest/Banner of the Stars, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

2.) MSG Movies - The movies show substantial improvement (in content, as well as animation) over what I've seen of the TV series. The compression of over 40 episodes into three movies rarely allows for a dull moment. This is an excellent trilogy.

---- All of the series ranked below are ones which I thought were simply mediocre.
3.) Victory Gundam
4.) 0083
5.) Zeta Gundam
6.) 0080
7.) Char's Counterattack
8.) ZZ Gundam
9.) Gundam X
10.) Gundam Seed Destiny
11.) 08th MS Team
12.) Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz
----
----The only Gundam entry that I classify as 'bad'
13.) Gundam Wing

Note: I've seen 6 episodes of G Gundam, and don't think I can bear to watch anymore. I've yet to complete Turn A Gundam.
Since I cannot claim to have completed Turn A and G Gundam, they are not ranked.

avmoghe, long time no see...

Lmao For someone that thinks Gundam is pretty mediocre, you seem to have no problem owning and serving nearly every series ... I actually have gotten atleast 15 eps of Victory from you, I'd snag all your eps (on mx) if you'd open up the bandwidth a little bit ...3 and1/2 hrs per dl is killing me and your eps are better quality than the other sources I leech from...So help me out a little, up those kbs ...

Usually this is the point were I try to expose you for your views and mind-boggling rankings, but I remeber you well from a debate looooooong ago...You are the person that can't stand watching a series unless everything is wrapped up in a nice, TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE way...If I remember correctly you pretty much hate all series that leave endings up to interpretation of the veiwers or that finish with open-ended conclusions (which is funny since GS also ends a bit abrubtly without a clear sense of what happened after Kira's fight other than some background blather about treaties being signed)...So I can understand why you put such a mediocre spin on the Gundam franchise, because many of the series end without finite conclusions...Something I remember you telling me really bothers you (Zeta and CCA being the most glaring)...So I forgive your harshness and look to get more eps from you later, but can a brutha get atleast 25kbs per dl ??
Old 2005-12-23, 03:36   Link #46
4Tran

I think that there's a fundamental difference between "favorite" and "best", but here's my two cents:

Favorite:
1. Victory
2. Turn A
3. Seed
4. Seed Destiny

Best
1. Turn A - Superb setting and good character interaction. The ending was a little weak, but it doesn't really detract from the whole.
2. Destiny - Flawed; but it still presented the most interesting ideas in Gundam.
3. Victory - Lots of great moments and lots of bizzare/goofy moments.
4. Seed - Plenty of compelling drama marred by some bad writing.

Interestingly enough, I feel that these shows also have the best characters among the Gundam TV shows (Victory is a fair bit weaker here than the others).
Old 2005-12-23, 16:13   Link #47
avmoghe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
avmoghe, long time no see...

Lmao For someone that thinks Gundam is pretty mediocre, you seem to have no problem owning and serving nearly every series ... I actually have gotten atleast 15 eps of Victory from you, I'd snag all your eps (on mx) if you'd open up the bandwidth a little bit ...3 and1/2 hrs per dl is killing me and your eps are better quality than the other sources I leech from...So help me out a little, up those kbs ...
Nice to hear from you as well. I have owned and served many series that I don't consider excellent. I'll refrain from further comment since this is hardly the place to discuss IRC anime distribution.

Quote:
Usually this is the point were I try to expose you for your views and mind-boggling rankings, but I remeber you well from a debate looooooong ago...You are the person that can't stand watching a series unless everything is wrapped up in a nice, TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE way...If I remember correctly you pretty much hate all series that leave endings up to interpretation of the veiwers or that finish with open-ended conclusions (which is funny since GS also ends a bit abrubtly without a clear sense of what happened after Kira's fight other than some background blather about treaties being signed)...So I can understand why you put such a mediocre spin on the Gundam franchise, because many of the series end without finite conclusions...Something I remember you telling me really bothers you (Zeta and CCA being the most glaring)...So I forgive your harshness and look to get more eps from you later, but can a brutha get atleast 25kbs per dl ??
Gundam Seed's ending was a bit abrupt, with little room for an epilogue. This was mended to some extent by the five minute special that followed, however. The debate we had a long time ago was about anime that never attempted to make concrete sense - along the lines of Evangelion or FLCL. Seed's ending hardly has the 'wtf just happened?' ambiguity of that sort.

As you've noted, Zeta and CCA endings do carry some of this ambiguity with their displays of newtype powers and spirits (though hardly to the levels of Evangelion). However, I will restate that I do not *hate* either of the shows. There are plenty of elements of both shows that I liked. Overall though, when compared with other anime, I still classify them as being average.

Last edited by avmoghe; 2005-12-23 at 16:31.
avmoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 16:20   Link #48
Crusader

I ailla gree with you on that 4tran, that GsD did present soem ideas, like the ea usign reqiuem, and that beam defelctor thing on their shipps in ep 45... good stuff. but thast about it..
Old 2005-12-23, 22:08   Link #49
polar720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Amuro was angsty? When did he ever second-guess himself or wonder if what he was doing was right? And even whiny is a bit of a stretch, unless you think crying over a lot of dear friends' deaths is whining.

If this is so, how can anyone consider Kamille angsty and whiny?
polar720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 23:30   Link #50
quattro ninja
Spacenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar720
If this is so, how can anyone consider Kamille angsty and whiny?
They can't .

Zeta Rocks pure and simple.
quattro ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 17:05   Link #51
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Kamille was all "ZOMG DON'T YOU CALL ME A GIRL I'LL PUNCH YOUR HEAD OUT!!!111"
"ZOMG My family suckkkkkks my dad's having an affair and my mom doesn't do anything about it!!!111" "ZOMG I knew it youre not quattro bajeena youre char aznable, eat my correction fist!!!111" in the beginning. But he grows out of it eventually.

Well, I suppose that most Gundam main characters grows out of their anger and angst.

I still don't think Amuro was angry or angsty though.
He was whiney in the beginning.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 00:30   Link #52
Crusader

Amuro was whiny, btu not angsty

althoguh when jerid calls kamille a murder, i couldn't help but laugh for soem reason...
Old 2005-12-26, 01:36   Link #53
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Destiny simply for that one last OP shot and Kira being GOD.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 01:55   Link #54
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Gundam 0080 and Turn A Gundam are the top two for me, followed by Victory Gundam.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 02:12   Link #55
Novarain

My favourite series would be seed. gundam X, wing, turn A and Zeta were also pretty good.

Right down at the bottom would be gundam G and seed destiny.

the rest i'm pretty neutral...
Novarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 02:33   Link #56
monster

most enjoyable-least enjoyable:
gs
gsd
turn a
gw+ew
gx
victory

haven't seen:
msg, z, g

a quarter of the way through:
zz
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 04:51   Link #57
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Yes I can. Victory does it better.
ah but does victory have the lgendary stuff/charecters like char,kamille,the titans,zeta gundam and haman?
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 16:06   Link #58
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Katejina rocks at least as much as Haman, and pwns Haman in terms of insanity and evilness. And Wings of Light and Angel Halo makes two of the most legendary weapons in all Gundams.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 20:06   Link #59
Crusader

Haman is much more evil than, katejina
Old 2005-12-26, 20:14   Link #60
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Haman is more bitter than evil I think...She wanted Char to join her...She's like madly in love with Char underneath her fake evilness (even having flashbacks of her sitting with Char having an uber-crush)...Katejina, so far (I'm only on ep 31 of Victory) i'd say she was more brain-washed by Chronicle and her own self-rightousness than ever being considered evil, but like i said i haven't finished it yet..It would suprise me if she is really an evil person in the end...